PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Software Programs but One Data File possible?

Diamond K
06-29-2004, 03:44 PM
If I have three different handicap programs (in future) and each individual program uses TSN ProCaps and Exotic Results can I have one file folder (and track folders therein) to download all the ProCaps/Results data into and then merely create a path from each program to that one data folder? I guess only 1 upzip would be necessary then?

Simply, can I just do one download for all the tracks or must each individual program have it's own data folder (necessity to copy and paste)?

Diamond K

Handle
06-29-2004, 04:28 PM
It all depends on how the software works - so I think the short answer is no unless the various programs all expect to find the data files using the same folder structure.

For example, EquiSim likes to have the data files stored in a specific folder layout: BaseFolder\TrackFolder\YearFolder

EquiSim _will_ let you keep your data files anywhere you want, but in doing so you will lose the ability to have the program load the results files automatically, use the "Open By Date" command, build databases auto-magically by specifying tracks and date ranges, etc..

Note that there's a problem with the BRIS/TSN data files in that the file names do NOT include the year from which the data file came. This means that you'll have problems storing data cards from multiple years in the same folder -- name collisions will occur.

Diamond K
06-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Ironically I own EquiSim and intend to use this for one or two specific tracks as I just can't seem to handicap more than two with any confidence (try to rush). I still have to learn how to use the program and completely understand what settings I should initially set-up.

I am hoping to be able to use File Grabber in EquiSim to bring in the files, using their file convention, and also purchase Power-onLine and hope I can use the EquiSim folders as the default for both programs. I think File Grabber is superb in design.

This is what this specific inquiry of mine comes concerning. I didn't realize the complexity. Maybe I could just change the path of the Poweronline at the beginning of each year. I don't have the program so I don't know if it will accept the data structure of EquiSim.

Also, I thought this a good general question to know the answer to.

Bob Allen
06-29-2004, 05:19 PM
DiamondK,

The short answer to your question is YES.

The long answer, as Nathan has pointed out, is you will have to construct paths to the data according to what the software wants. In Power-Online Steve suggests a folder naming convention like the following:

APX03
APX04
APX05

Where the last two digits represent the year.

Because I also use EquiSim I have set it up to make the second download, I do two by unchecking the top box on the form (Use EquiSim Data Card Root Folder) of FileGrabber. Then all the files go to a central folder in the POL path I've entered in the blank section below that. From that folder I then drag and drop files to the proper folder. Simple, works and only takes a minute.

You are correct in that Nathan's design of FileGrabber is nothing short of brilliant. It is THE BEST utility I have ever found for any purpose on the net. It saves so much time I don't know if I could ever go back to that right clicking, save stuff. Four clicks and I'm done. The only way to go.

Bob

Crosley
06-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Are there other programs that use Procaps data files, besides:

PowerLine, Quickhorse and the Bris free Procaps S/W?

Thanks
Bill

Zaf
06-29-2004, 09:32 PM
I have to agree File Grabber is great !!!:)

ZAFONIC

Bob Allen
06-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Crosley
Are there other programs that use Procaps data files, besides:

PowerLine, Quickhorse and the Bris free Procaps S/W?

Thanks
Bill

Bill,

Power-Online V5, EquiSim and ProCaps are the only legitimate handicapping programs I know of that use the Procaps files. I know other developers are talking about making their software Procaps compatible because I've asked them, but at this time I don't know of any others, although there must be.

Bob

Crosley
06-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks Bob... You left out Quickhorse, :-) I know how you feel about it but I'm still working with it and finding it helpful.

Bill

levinmpa
06-30-2004, 08:56 AM
FYI. I'm sure this has been mentioned previously, but the Procaps files can be renamed and used in other programs. For example. If you use a program that uses the BRIS .drf files or the TSN .eg files, you can simply rename the Procaps file. Just unzip it and change the extension to either .eg or .drf as needed. Granted, this is an extra step you'll have to go through, but it gives you the ability to use the files with other programs the aren't yet able to accept them with their original extension. I have been doing this for a long time with no problems.

Larry Hamilton
06-30-2004, 09:28 AM
you could, of course, write a macro that changes the extensions for you, like:

FileCopy HorseDir & TrackFile & ".xrd", HorseDir & TrackFile & ".txt"

where HorseDir is the path to the files and trackfile is the name of the file
For instance, c:\MyHorseFile\CRC0505

then you could put that line in a loop so that all the files in the directory are changed to text files.

Handle
06-30-2004, 09:57 AM
I added a feature to the File Grabber so that, post download, it can unzip and change the file extension of the unzipped file to whatever you wish (so you could download procaps files and have it then unzip the file and replace the extension with "drf", for example). Its in the 'Controls Menu->Special Preferences'.

I think this feature is in the currently available free version of File Grabber. If not, I need to update the download site....
http://www.thorotech.com/freestuff/index.html

Secretariat
06-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Bob Allen
Bill,

Power-Online V5, EquiSim and ProCaps are the only legitimate handicapping programs I know of that use the Procaps files. I know other developers are talking about making their software Procaps compatible because I've asked them, but at this time I don't know of any others, although there must be.

Bob

The program Lightning Profits uses Procaps files in V3 as well. I'm sure others do as well.

Their site is www.sedonaconcern.com

I am curious on other programs which support Procaps as well so if any other users know any links please advise.

Kappa
06-30-2004, 06:52 PM
Focus 2000 can use the Procaps daatafiles.

Lefty
07-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Crosley, here's three more: A+, Contenders10, and American Thourougbred Handicapping. I think thee's more but these off the top of my head.

Lefty
07-03-2004, 12:19 PM
I forgot Equisim, it will use procaps files and hor$ense will also use them but you have to rename the file. Zambuto will too but don't recommend the Zambuto prgm. Too many probs with security code and no refund or cure from Zambuto.

CapperLou
08-04-2004, 12:57 AM
I'm in process of seriously considering a couple of new software programs to find more "spot plays" that offer value etc.

I'm looking into Equisim and Power-online at this time. First question to Diamond K would be how are you doing using both programs--are they helpful as a pair?

I just changed to procap advantage plan 8/1--it's great so far!
I'm "manually" changing the extensions to drf on the unzipped files for my two programs that are also used for CRC only and the other for spots. Bob, how is Power-online doing for you--appreciate any input. Once I have both programs (it's almost 95% sure as I write, I'll have to learn how to use file grabber so I won't have to download twice.

And Secretariat: What is this LP3 program from Sedona Concern? Are they not the ones who wrote Poweronline for Steve? Program looks a lot like Poweronline-expensive too!!

Thanks for any input you can give me. You can PM me if you do not want to post.

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. Waiting for Nathan to help me with the demo I downloaded--having a tough time getting it to run--I'm not a tech guy. Used to the easy program in past called Allways--but have had my share of it. I believe there is a better way!!!!

Rferguson
08-06-2004, 04:42 PM
I thought he meant isn't there someway you could convert hdw files to use with programs that only except the bris files or vice a versa
Also to add to the subject, is there a way to extract the Dosage Profile for all the entries using the drf single file?
TA

CapperLou
08-06-2004, 05:31 PM
I'm using Procap files now with a couple of programs--learned how to change them so they could be used with programs that require .drf instead of pcs. I'm not interested in HDW.

I was also looking for input from the three posters as to how they are doing with PowerOnLine and Equisim. Those are two programs I'm seriously considering to replace AllWays.

Does that help you instead of confuse you(seems you did not understand my post) if its the one to which you responded.

All the best,

CapperLou

Rferguson
08-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Equisim. as you may have already seen on this board some where Equisim's file grabber will change the ext for you automaticly
Ron

Diamond K
08-06-2004, 10:51 PM
CapperLou,

I haven't really had much of a chance to do anything with the programs nor the horses for about a month due to business commitments. I haven't used the two programs EquiSim and Power-onLine with each other for I haven't had the time to get Power-onLine operating as I will elaborate a bit.

I was looking forward to the black box technique in Power-onLine but found out it took me about 45 minutes for it to 'handicap' just one card. I thought I will need a dedicate computer for that program. I waited forever for results. With the small amount of selections I didn't do too well but I can attribute that to one thing (in my mind). The database that comes with the program is too small for any meaningful results. I did phone the programmer (can't remember peoples names, just horses) and he was super helpful. He said to divide all the databases into one for each track and then it will 'fly'. This is what he does. Otherwise it crunches data for all the tracks in the database (he said). I waited a good 10 minutes a race. I intend to divide the database as he said and then give it another go-round. In the meantime I am just gathering data from TSN and building up the database. I feel 2 years of data will be required for I think that is about what was used in the postings for winning selections here (but I'm not sure). I have thought about just accumulating TSN data and wait till next year. However, that will only give me one complete year of info. Is this enough? I don't know for some of the results were based on 6 and 8 former races. Some selections were surely based on more but I was too irritated with the wait to pay further attention.

I will be able to get into it later in September to segregate the tracks. However I do think I will still not have enough data. I just don't like small samples. One thing for sure. I was only downloading about 10 tracks to play. I'm going to increase that substantially for some programs are only good for certain tracks.

Diamond K

CapperLou
08-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Great to hear from you and learn about your experience so far with this program. I appreciate it.
You mention that you do not feel you have enough races of different types in the database--that may very well be true. I can tell you that my experience with Allways was that you had to have at least 15-20 races of a certain type to have any kind of model that would begin to click.
I have tons of bris files, but I do not believe that you can interchange them with Procaps in the POL database and get good models. I'll have to ask about that.
I plan on gathering procaps data for about 8 tracks that are running at different times of year etc.
Hope to hear more detailed input from other posters such as you gave here. You have been very helpful--thank you again!!
I will keep in touch with you--will send you a PM or email if available. How are things in Glendale? Nice spot--have a former business associate there--they love it!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

Diamond K
08-07-2004, 10:04 PM
CapperLou

I asked that one specific question regarding mixing and matching TSN and BRIS. I was told that is is fine to do for the program output is relative. This being the case, I was further informed that on an occasional basis Power-onLine would come up with a different horse, rather than the one in the output with TSN alone or BRIS alone. I asked this for I was considering trying to pick up about a year of BRIS since TSN doesn't have any archives. I had a computer melt down with all my data and no backup for it couldn't happen to me.

I had forgot my intent to pick up a year of Bris data and mix and match. Maybe that's the holy grail of racing. Avoid the obvious.

I use FileGrabber from within EquiSim for I also have to download the Instant Results. I use the free FileGrabber online at Nathan's to download the TSN ProCaps and Exotic Results for POL. I setup the Power-onLine different than instructed so I wouldn't have a year end problem. I just put a file POL2004 on the 'c' drive and dump everything from the free version of FileGrabber into that. It is easy and simple. The one path for all tracks makes it simple and I don't have to change settings from month to month. Really a nice utility.

I really do like the POL program and it seems like a spot players dream. I have never been a spot player. All the spot rules are programmed. A thorough synopsis of all plays is given, which in most programs would be considered proprietory. I have been 'proprietaried' and 'dongled' a bit too much in the past.

There is no reason to elaborate further on EquiSim which I also own for I lack the expertise of many users on this board. They can do a much better job than I. It's really a nice nice program. I haven't had the chance to compare data between the two programs as yet for reasons stated. I believe that the new forthcoming EquiSim upgrade feature will be great and appealing to many very advanced database and program experts but possibly lose some of the appeal of people such as myself who don't want to spend time learning a new database language. I also lack the drive to entertain something too technically challenging. Let me press one or ten 'buttons' and I'm happy as a lark. It's people such as myself who, while lacking the necessary super advanced program technology, have the money to buy the program. I'm afraid the customer base may possibly drop for a short term until it can be promoted as an easy to use upgrade. I could be wrong, but my initial thought is that it's beyond my capabilities.

Diamond K

CapperLou
08-07-2004, 10:40 PM
You mention some interesting facts about the POL software. You refer to each method's information--that is not on the free manual download as far as I can determine. Right? Is all that info on the CD that is sent by Steve when the program is purchased?

I am concerned about the Equisim upgrade also because I am not a software wizard by any means. Heck; I can't even get the demo to work--Nathan is having someone who is kind enough to get in touch with me tomorrow and try to walk me thru everything. I want to believe that once it is run by me--I'll get it--that's been my experience with most challenges I've encountered!!

I wish there was a manual or instructions on how to use the free file grabber--there most likely is--but I have decided to wait until I learn how to use the one within the program. If I am able to use the existing program, I plan on getting the new one when Nathan makes it available--just hope it's not too difficult for me.

Will keep you posted on progress with procaps within both programs as I go along.

All the best,

CapperLou

thelyingthief
08-26-2004, 12:51 PM
where can i obtain a copy of this?

Handle
08-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Go to:
http://www.thorotech.com

Enter the site and go to where it says demo download.

Download and install EquiSim V5 demo (I'll make a post about the release of V5 as soon as I announce that its really ready, it's up now but more for current customers).

The FileGrabber comes with EquiSim - its available through the ESROI5 Windows Start Menu (and launchable through the program itself). The demo is time/usage limited, but the File Grabber is not - so you can continue to use it even if you don't purchase EquiSim.

-Nathan