PDA

View Full Version : Re-enlistments down and now this..

Secretariat
06-29-2004, 02:30 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=5&u=/ap/20040629/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/iraq_reserve_callup

CJ, I think there may be a draft coming down the road.

cj
06-29-2004, 02:31 PM
So, what's the big deal? Retired guys know this could happen, its not like its a big secret.

I don't think we'll ever see a draft again. Times have changed, I can't even imagine the discipline problems a draft would present in the military.

JustRalph
06-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=5&u=/ap/20040629/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/iraq_reserve_callup

CJ, I think there may be a draft coming down the road.

Start doing your pushup drills Sec.................

lsbets
06-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Wow, what a factually inaccurate article. First, it says that members of the IRR are not members of the Reserves or National Guard. Guess what? They are! They are not in a drill status, and that could be for a variety of reasons, usually they have a contractual obligation to spend a certain numbers of years in the IRR. I can't believe the "military writer" said they are not members of the Reserves. I have a couple of soldiers who were called out of the IRR for this tour, and they will tell you they are in the Reserves. A normal enlistment contract is for 8 years, with either an active duty or a drill obligation period (2-6 years) and the remainder filled in the IRR. This is nowhere close to a draft - everyone being called up signed a contract and committed to their obligation. Sounds like they all volunteered to me. No wonder you are so ill informed Sec, the sources you read are crap.

PaceAdvantage
06-29-2004, 04:25 PM
The source I read said this was also done for the first Gulf War. Is this correct lsbets?

Secretariat
06-29-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by lsbets
Wow, what a factually inaccurate article. First, it says that members of the IRR are not members of the Reserves or National Guard. Guess what? They are! They are not in a drill status, and that could be for a variety of reasons, usually they have a contractual obligation to spend a certain numbers of years in the IRR. I can't believe the "military writer" said they are not members of the Reserves. I have a couple of soldiers who were called out of the IRR for this tour, and they will tell you they are in the Reserves. A normal enlistment contract is for 8 years, with either an active duty or a drill obligation period (2-6 years) and the remainder filled in the IRR. This is nowhere close to a draft - everyone being called up signed a contract and committed to their obligation. Sounds like they all volunteered to me. No wonder you are so ill informed Sec, the sources you read are crap.

I've re-read the article and I assume you mean this comment

"Those in the Individual Ready Reserve are former enlisted soldiers and officers who have some nonactive-duty military service obligation remaining, under terms they signed when they signed on but who chose not to fulfill it in the Guard or Reserve."

Here's the DOD take on it:

"What is the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)?

Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), a manpower pool in the Ready Reserve, primarily consists of: Individuals who have had training, have served previously in the Active component or the Selected Reserve, and have some period of a military obligation remaining. IRR members are in an active status, but do not perform regularly scheduled training. "

I agree the writer should have said Select Reserves to clarify. However, it seems to me you are not addressing the jist of the article which is about the necessity for more troops.

You question the credentials of the writer. Always a legit question. He is an Associated Press writer. And since the Associated Press is read or heard by over a billion people every day read and in the United States alone, AP serves 1,550 newspapers and 5,000 radio and television stations, as well as more than 8,500 newspaper, radio and television subscribers in 112 other countries, that I am not alone in reading this article or getting this news. So I guess over a billion readers are getting "crap" along with me.

I've seen Mr. Burns has written numerous articles as an Associated Press Miltary Writer, not just this one. Do your own search. I was unable to get his bio so I emailed the AP for his credentials. We'll see if they respond.

I understand you are in harms way over there and I respect that. My "opinion" that a draft is probably going to be necessary was addressed to CJ because I asked him his opinion on that on another thread. He thought it wouldn't be necessary, but I was simply listing here, that I think there may be down the road, especially if we are in the process of calling the IRR to an active duty combat area.

PaceAdvantage
06-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Didn't this happen during the first Gulf War? Or was what I read in error?

JustRalph
06-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Didn't this happen during the first Gulf War? Or was what I read in error?

I read that it happen in the first Gulf War also. It usually has to do with only certain career fields. These usually have to do with jobs that take long stints of training prior to assignment. But can involve many different career fields. But if you need people who have a 18-24 month training requirement prior to assignment, you can't wait to "train up " the newly enlisted. you call back the IRR until the jobs get filled.

Buckeye
06-29-2004, 09:21 PM
So I guess over a billion readers are getting "crap" along with me.

Sometimes they are unfortunately.

Richard
06-29-2004, 10:17 PM
I know for a fact that there were recalls during the first Gulf War.Both from the inactive Reserve as well as the retired forces (though the latter group was much less recall).

lsbets
06-30-2004, 02:26 AM
Yes the IRR was called up during the first Gulf War. That is what the IRR is for - manpower for mibilizations. I know people who were called out of the IRR for Bosnia and Kosova because of unique skillsets that they bring to the table.

Traditionally units are mobilized out of the drilling reserves, and individual augmentees are called from the IRR. Not a rule written in stone, but that is how it generally goes.

The problem that I had with that article is how the writer presented it as if those folks getting called up were not in the military. Its another example of poor journalism and misleading articles. I don't care who he writes for - he writes like crap.

In terms of looking up his bio and other articles he's written, I'm a little busy these days, but I will put it on my list of things to do when I get home, right after getting all of this damned sand that blows around cleaned out of my ears.............