PDA

View Full Version : Wrong finish position number in result chart

takeout
06-28-2004, 02:57 PM
The chart (DRF) for the 9th race at CT on 6/27/04 has the winner of the race, Hushaby Babe, as finishing first in her previous start on 5/5/04 (race 3) when in fact she finished 2nd. I also looked at a Trackmaster chart and they have the same thing so I guess it came wrong from Equibase.

No big deal because it was the right previous race so there’s no way that the horse would’ve been “lost”. However, this is the first time I’ve seen this particular type of error. Anyone else ever notice one like this before?

Steve 'StatMan'
06-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Since DRF made the change to Equibse chart data, I've noticed a change. The charts now reflect where the horse was officially placed after DQ's, & DH's. In the past, their original order of finish, regardless of later changes were given.

So for now, it is their Official Finish Postition, not their Actual Final postion, that is now reported in the DRF charts.

Secretariat
06-28-2004, 03:55 PM
I wonder if this may affect some horse racing software.

For example, if a horse won a race by 5 lengths, and then was DQ'ed to second, you are saying his finish and legths would look like this.

2nd by 5 lengths.

Kind of confused on this. Am interested on how developers are dealing with this (such as Equisim, HTR, or HSH).

When did this change over take place? So a past performance line that says 1 by 5 could really be a horse who lost by 5 lengths and was moved up by DQ?

GameTheory
06-28-2004, 04:25 PM
That's not in the actual chart for race day that way, is it? You're talking about how the LAST race is reported on today's chart, right? The 6/27 chart is reporting the last race from 5/5 as finishing first, but the 5/5 chart itself would still show things the usual way I'm sure. This isn't something that is affected PP lines, is it?

Steve 'StatMan'
06-28-2004, 04:54 PM
I've never seen a bad pp line. Its just the chart index, unless Takeout is seeing otherwise.

The PPS should still show the initial finish (1 by 5), with a note line below (Placed 2nd by Disqualification, or something to that effect).

Steve 'StatMan'
06-28-2004, 05:00 PM
I just confirmed with the PPS. The horse in question finished 2nd but was placed 1st by DQ in his last race. Exactly what I've been seeing with the charts.

PPS are same as normal. Chart Index now reflects the Official Placing of the last race, not the Finish Placing.

takeout
06-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Steve'StatMan'BTW
Since DRF made the change to Equibse chart data, I've noticed a change. The charts now reflect where the horse was officially placed after DQ's, & DH's. In the past, their original order of finish, regardless of later changes were given.

Well I'll be! I'm glad you got me looking at this. Turns out it is a big deal. It seems that DRF is leaving the DQ information out of their result charts altogether! They put in the Dead-Heat stuff but not the DQs! Go figure. :confused: And I'll bet its been going on forever.

I wasn't thinking about a DQ when I looked at the Trackmaster chart from 6/27 for comparison. I just now looked at the one from 5/5 and saw the DQ. WHY IN THE WORLD isn't it in the DRF chart???

This is one of those things that I noticed a long time ago but it didn't take. I think I even wrote a friend about it at the time but thought it was just an isolated incident. I didn't realize that DRF was leaving the DQs out of their charts ALL OF THE TIME! GAWD! Can someone tell me why DRF no longer considers disqualification information important enough to be mentioned in their result charts? :rolleyes: GAWD!

Steve 'StatMan'
06-28-2004, 08:44 PM
The DQ should be in the chart for the 5/5 race. It didn't have anything to do with the 6/27 race.

Steve 'StatMan'
06-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Unless, of course, the winner of the 5/5 race was DQ'd from purse money later, like, for a drug overage or something. I've seen the rare incident where a maiden runs 2nd, comes back to run against maidens again, and following that 2nd maiden race, gets declared the official winner of the 1st maiden race, by a drug overage, and then would no longer run vs. maidens because it was now considered a winner, but not because it won it's most recent race.

takeout
06-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Steve'StatMan'BTW
The DQ should be in the chart for the 5/5 race. It didn't have anything to do with the 6/27 race.
Understood. The only reason I looked at the two 6/27 charts was to see if they both had the same last-race finish position number.

The way that I noticed what I thought was the wrong previous race finish position number in the first place was that I was "key racing" the DRF charts the old fashioned way and noticed when I went back to circle the horse's name that it hadn't finished where the 6/27 chart said it had. Without any notation or comment about the DQ in the 5/5 chart how was I to know what was going on?

I wasn't even thinking about the possibility of a DQ until you mentioned it. That's when I went back and got the 5/5 chart from Trackmaster for comparison with the 5/5 chart from DRF and discovered that the DRF chart had nothing about the DQ (!) either by way of notation or comment. NOTHING!

I am also perplexed by the Trackmaster chart. Thankfully (no, make that mercifully) it does have the DQ notification next to the horse's name but nothing in the comment section whatsoever. Both chart's comment sections can talk about every horse in the race but nothing about the hows and whys of the DQ?

This kind of stuff is bad. Real bad. Hopefully some day someone will take the asylum back from the inmates.

takeout
06-30-2004, 08:13 PM
I've come to the conclusion that the particular example that I started this thread with was just a screw-up and not the norm. (thank goodness) The number one in the 6/27 chart indicating the previous finish position of Hushaby Babe was in fact right. I thought it was wrong because the DRF chart on 5/5 has no DQ information in it.

The horse that DOES have a wrong place finish number in the DRF chart of her next race is Peace Lady, the winner of the 5/5 race before the DQ. Her next race chart on 6/3 has her previous race finish position number as 1 and it should be a 9 so as to reflect her placing in the 5/5 race after the DQ.

Fortunately the problem is nowhere near as big in scope as I first thought. I've never been so happy to be wrong. Looks like it's just another example of basic Equibase data going through that extra pair of DRF hands. I say that because the Trackmaster chart did have DQ notation and said that Peace Lady was placed 9th. However, I AM surprised that even the Trackmaster chart said nothing about WHY the horse was taken down.(??) Isn't that type of thing what charts are for? Maybe the caller was having a rough night.(???)