PDA

View Full Version : Romans ‘Sick Of What’s Happened’ To US Racing, Pursues Training In Hong Kong

horses4courses
03-28-2016, 10:26 PM
High profile trainer has had enough.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/id-love-train-romans-contemplates-potential-move-hong-kong/#.Vvl-tHVF0HQ.twitter

EMD4ME
03-28-2016, 10:46 PM
I wish him the best of luck. Hope they take him in and when he does get in, he can clarify his statements a bit more.

bello
03-28-2016, 11:02 PM
“I'm a horseman and I think races should be won by the better horseman, not something else"

What do you think he means by these remarks? Is he some sort of conspiracy fanatic?

EMD4ME
03-28-2016, 11:03 PM
“I'm a horseman and I think races should be won by the better horseman, not something else"

What do you think he means by these remarks? Is he some sort of conspiracy fanatic?

I hope he doesn't post on PA under some assumed name. The people in the know here will set him straight and blast him to smitherines for even thinking such outlandish and WILD thoughts.

They'll tell him he's a loser and making crap up.

Kash$
03-28-2016, 11:05 PM
I wish him the best of luck. Hope they take him in and when he does get in, he can clarify his statements a bit more.

Great trainer ....Good for him

HK trainers must tell the public there intend before the race 85% of US trainers wouldnt be able to train in HK for that reason alone

EMD4ME
03-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Great trainer ....Good for him

HK trainers must tell the public there intend before the race 85% of US trainers wouldnt be able to train in HK for that reason alone

Isn't it expected that if a speed horse will be taken off the pace there, that they announce it before the race? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Also, don't they question a trainer if a longshot wins there and shows marked improvement? Or is that again, somewhere else?

Kash$
03-28-2016, 11:15 PM
Isn't it expected that if a speed horse will be taken off the pace there, that they announce it before the race? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Also, don't they question a trainer if a longshot wins there and shows marked improvement? Or is that again, somewhere else?

Yep,

Mr.Navarro how did.your $6,500 claimer from Monmouth just break a record for 6f that hasnt been broken in 50 years?

EMD4ME
03-28-2016, 11:21 PM
Yep,

Mr.Navarro how did.your $6,500 claimer from Monmouth just break a record for 6f that hasnt been broken in 50 years?

That is definitely something that should be asked if it happens. It's a shame more questions are not asked here in the states AND if it does happen, why doesn't the public always know about it?

Kash$
03-28-2016, 11:25 PM
That is definitely something that should be asked if it happens. It's a shame more questions are not asked here in the states AND if it does happen, why doesn't the public always know about it?

Beyer for years has written articles about. The Miracle trainer with the Magic Potion..Hes praised emd you get buried...:)

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2016, 11:28 PM

Also, don't they question a trainer if a longshot wins there and shows marked improvement? Or is that again, somewhere else?I sincerely doubt he was talking about the Ortiz brothers, as you always do. Care to reply with another smart ass remark?

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2016, 11:30 PM
Dumb and dumber (bello & EMD4ME) are going to try and paint me as some naive fool. But the big point they are ignoring is that in a recent thread, I wasn't talking about cheating trainers. I was directly addressing EMD's and some others CONSTANT assault on jockeys and how they are essentially FIXING every other race (especially the ones EMD loses).

Try and keep it on topic if you're going to come at me with smart ass replies.

EMD4ME
03-28-2016, 11:36 PM
I sincerely doubt he was talking about the Ortiz brothers, as you always do. Care to reply with another smart ass remark?

I wasn't talking about the Ortiz brothers either. I was referring to the David Flores incident.

EMD4ME
03-28-2016, 11:39 PM
Dumb and dumber (bello & EMD4ME) are going to try and paint me as some naive fool. But the big point they are ignoring is that in a recent thread, I wasn't talking about cheating trainers. I was directly addressing EMD's and some others CONSTANT assault on jockeys and how they are essentially FIXING every other race (especially the ones EMD loses).

Try and keep it on topic if you're going to come at me with smart ass replies.

Wait just a second boss. I want to be Dumb, not dumber please.... I like Jim Carrey. :D

For the record. I don't complain about races I lose. I complain about races I win as well.

We all know you are super sharp. Mean that sincerely. Never crossed my mind that you are naive. We all know you need to CYA. I respect that.

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2016, 11:47 PM
While I appreciate the compliment, I am probably one of the least sharpest handicappers here compared to some of you. And I include you in that vast section of players here who are better than me.

With that said, I still think you're nutty.

woodbinepmi
03-28-2016, 11:56 PM
Here is the link to the Hong Kong paper on Dale Romans:
http://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/article/1931135/american-trainer-dale-romans-states-case-hong-kong-licence

It looks as he is not alone in wanting to come to Hong Kong, Peter Moody in Australia is contemplating it too:
http://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/article/1929318/champion-trainer-peter-moody-ideal-hong-kong-vacancy-if-he-does-u-turn

NorCalGreg
03-29-2016, 03:48 AM
I hope he doesn't post on PA under some assumed name. The people in the know here will set him straight and blast him to smitherines for even thinking such outlandish and WILD thoughts.

They'll tell him he's a loser and making crap up.

LMAO.....you do know that all wack-jobs-on-a-mission consider themselves victims-or even full-blown martyrs? You're all doing whatever you can--to save horse racing--and save us ignorant horse players -- from ourselves. And this is so very admirable.

Even if it means you must suffer the scorn of the less intelligent and less informed, you're willing to do it anyway.

You all know good and well Hong Kong doesn't want Mr Lasix himself, tainting their industry. Get all the mileage you can out of his bluff--maybe he'll join your little "club"

GRASSY KNOLL GANG

President
EMD

Sgt at Arms
Bello

Treasurer
Kash$

Groupie
SRU

* don't even think about including H4C among your ranks--he's way out of your wacky league.

Stillriledup
03-29-2016, 04:25 AM
LMAO.....you do know that all wack-jobs-on-a-mission consider themselves victims-or even full-blown martyrs? You're all doing whatever you can--to save horse racing--and save us ignorant horse players -- from ourselves. And this is so very admirable.

Even if it means you must suffer the scorn of the less intelligent and less informed, you're willing to do it anyway.

You all know good and well Hong Kong doesn't want Mr Lasix himself, tainting their industry. Get all the mileage you can out of his bluff--maybe he'll join your little "club"

GRASSY KNOLL GANG

President
EMD

Sgt at Arms
Bello

Treasurer
Kash$

Groupie
SRU

* don't even think about including H4C among your ranks--he's way out of your wacky league.

Mr Lasix?

InsideTheRaces.com
03-29-2016, 04:36 AM
90% of you are biggest idiots I've never met!
I'll be the first to admit some shady stuff happens at the track.
Worst case it's 5-10% of all races run have some shady stuff happen and even then 1/2 the time you can logically chalk it up to people making mistakes.
How many times have you been to a fast food drive thru and they got your order wrong?
Were they trying to cheat you or did they make a mistake?
In your minds the drive thru was purposely trying to screw you over.
If you believe they were trying to screw you, you need to wake up! They just screwed up your order plain and simple. Maybe they're idiots that screw up all day but somehow they still have a job. Just like the trainer or jockey who screws up but sometimes they do everything correct and win.
When you lose a race it's never your fault, it's the fault of someone else.
I find it hard to believe any of you that complain constantly are winning players. Winning players don't blame jockeys, trainers or anybody else. Winning players don't even blame themselves, they know losing is part of the game.
Some people are better at this game than others.
Here's an example from 4 or 5 years ago. Ramon Dominguez had an unreal schedule over 2 days. He rode at Belmont until the 6th or 7th race had a mount at Monmouth in the 9th or 10th then had a mount at Charles Town night race in the 8th or 9th( I can't remember the race numbers exactly). Then he had mounts starting on the 1st thru 8th the next day at Belmont. Logistically I couldn't see how he could do it all and perform. The distance between tracks with little to no sleep for two days straight. I thought no way he could make all the races and perform. Well, he made it to every race and did perform. I know he won a couple of races at Belmont the first day, won the Monmouth race then lost the Charles Town night race. The next day he won 4 or 5 of his races at Belmont. The question is was he cheating, were the trainers he was riding for cheating or was it the simple fact that he's a jockey who has aligned himself with the right horses and trainers and has mastered his profession?
Bottom line with all the complaining you guys do about crooked races, I have to ask you, why do you continue to play the game? If you really think the game is as rigged as you say it is, and you continue to play, it can only mean two things.
1. You need a mental health evaluation because you continue to bet even though you believe the game is crooked.
2. You just like to complain and blame others for your bad decisions.

Is it #1 or #2

Stillriledup
03-29-2016, 04:48 AM
Worst case it's 5-10% of all races run have some shady stuff happen and even then 1/2 the time you can logically chalk it up to people making mistakes.
How many times have you been to a fast food drive thru and they got your order wrong?
If you believe they were trying to screw you, you need to wake up! They just screwed up your order plain and simple. Maybe they're idiots that screw up all day but somehow they still have a job. Just like the trainer or jockey who screws up but sometimes they do everything correct and win.
I find it hard to believe any of you that complain constantly are winning players. Winning players don't blame jockeys, trainers or anybody else. Winning players don't even blame themselves, they know losing is part of the game.
Here's an example from 4 or 5 years ago. Ramon Dominguez had an unreal schedule over 2 days. He rode at Belmont until the 6th or 7th race had a mount at Monmouth in the 9th or 10th then had a mount at Charles Town night race in the 8th or 9th( I can't remember the race numbers exactly). Then he had mounts starting on the 1st thru 8th the next day at Belmont. Logistically I couldn't see how he could do it all and perform. The distance between tracks with little to no sleep for two days straight. I thought no way he could make all the races and perform. Well, he made it to every race and did perform. I know he won a couple of races at Belmont the first day, won the Monmouth race then lost the Charles Town night race. The next day he won 4 or 5 of his races at Belmont. The question is was he cheating, were the trainers he was riding for cheating or was it the simple fact that he's a jockey who has aligned himself with the right horses and trainers and has mastered his profession?
Bottom line with all the complaining you guys do about crooked races, I have to ask you, why do you continue to play the game? If you really think the game is as rigged as you say it is, and you continue to play, it can only mean two things.
1. You need a mental health evaluation because you continue to bet even though you believe the game is crooked.

Is it #1 or #2

So wait, shady stuff happens at the track (your first sentence) but if people post about it they are complainers, need mental health evaluations as well as 'blaming others'?

barn32
03-29-2016, 04:59 AM
Many years ago I had a friend who was one of the worst losers on earth. When he lost a race he would follow the jockey back to the paddock yelling at him, "nice stiff job, Pruitt. How much did they pay you for that one?"

Of course his primary handicapping technique was to follow trainers to the window to see who they bet. He knew, of course, who to play based not only on who the trainer bet, but also on how much the trainer bet--that was the key.

My friend was a total moron, but very entertaining.

burnsy
03-29-2016, 07:13 AM

Is it #1 or #2

Yeah, but common sense dictates the truth is somewhere between you and those guys. Many times I think those guys do it for laughs too.....I hope so anyway.But there is some truth to the complaints. How about some transparency? Why is it considered good business in this country to hide facts? Then people come out of the wood work to stick up for people that cheat. I'm not talking "honest mistakes", I'm talking repeat scum that retain their jobs. Did people watch the coverage this weekend........the foreign trainers tell the interviewer where the horses were cut during shipping......here it crickets. Those are the facts brother.

By the way, when I lose. I blame myself. I re-watch the race and try to figure out why I was wrong. You've never read a word where I blame it on cheating. But I know damn well some are doing just that. Don't listen to me though. everything is fine and dandy in Alice in Wonderland American Horse Racing World.

no breathalyzer
03-29-2016, 08:06 AM

Is it #1 or #2

careful with that edge there buddy :D

SuperPickle
03-29-2016, 08:54 AM
So did Dale read about Tom Amoss' post race b.s. Antics on Saturday and say "I've got to one up him for cry baby trainer of the year?"

First off I'd bet any amount of money that third generation Kentucky horseman Dale Romans doesn't go to Hong Kong. This reads as a veiled threat.

Second he's on record as be a HUGE supporter of Race Day Lasix. We all know race day lasix is an issue on multiple levels not the least of which is as a masking agent.

This is guy who's not winning races like he used. He's not getting the horses he used to. He's not winning the stakes he used to. And he's not as relevant as he used to. And rather than manning up and figuring out the game he's taking his ball and going home.

Bye Dale!

bello
03-29-2016, 09:04 AM

Is it #1 or #2
Speaking of dumb. listen to you guys. 5-10% of the races are shady and you are ok with that? Speaking of idiots! Super Pickle says he interviews race fixers and in the same thread knocks people who are pointing out shady things happen at the track.

BTW I posted one single remark in this thread. Go sing Kumbaya to Romans about the state of racing in this country, not to me. As for the name calling, yes I used it here as some wannabee Donald Trumps singled me out are proving in you own posts how hypocritical you really are. Stop with the name calling. At least NCG got creative with it.

menifee
03-29-2016, 09:17 AM
So did Dale read about Tom Amoss' post race b.s. Antics on Saturday and say "I've got to one up him for cry baby trainer of the year?"

First off I'd bet any amount of money that third generation Kentucky horseman Dale Romans doesn't go to Hong Kong. This reads as a veiled threat.

Second he's on record as be a HUGE supporter of Race Day Lasix. We all know race day lasix is an issue on multiple levels not the least of which is as a masking agent.

This is guy who's not winning races like he used. He's not getting the horses he used to. He's not winning the stakes he used to. And he's not as relevant as he used to. And rather than manning up and figuring out the game he's taking his ball and going home.

Bye Dale!

Dale actually has had the best Gulfstream meet of his life. This is a track he does not typically do well on. He has a positive ROI. In terms of stakes wins, he just won the Travers.

SuperPickle
03-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Dale actually has had the best Gulfstream meet of his life. This is a track he does not typically do well on. He has a positive ROI. In terms of stakes wins, he just won the Travers.

Wrong.

He's coming off his lowest win total since 1998. He's won 10 races year to date at a 10% win rate and we are essentially 25% through 2016. Which means he's coming off his worst year in 18 years and this year is going to be even worst. On top of that Keen Ice is the only graded stakes horse in his barn and he's coming two horrible races. Here's his stats...

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=People&searchType=T&eID=13888

Answer this? Was racing any cleaner when he was winning 80 races a year and had a barn with graded stakes horses a few years back? Kind of odd he's speaking up now. Timing is a little weird don't you think.

If you read this as anything more than a guy who's career is going backwards pointing the finger at other people and threatening to take his ball and go home because he ain't winning you aren't looking hard enough.

menifee
03-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Wrong.

He's coming off his lowest win total since 1998. He's won 10 races year to date at a 10% win rate and we are essentially 25% through 2016. Which means he's coming off his worst year in 18 years and this year is going to be even worst. On top of that Keen Ice is the only graded stakes horse in his barn and he's coming two horrible races. Here's his stats...

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=People&searchType=T&eID=13888

Answer this? Was racing any cleaner when he was winning 80 races a year and had a barn with graded stakes horses a few years back? Kind of odd he's speaking up now. Timing is a little weird don't you think.

If you read this as anything more than a guy who's career is going backwards pointing the finger at other people and threatening to take his ball and go home because he ain't winning you aren't looking hard enough.

Last year was his 4th best career earnings number and he did that with his fewest starters since 2000.

Regardless, I'm not interested in judging someone else's motives or making negative comments about the trajectory of a career.

HalvOnHorseracing
03-29-2016, 10:32 AM

Is it #1 or #2
When you talk about drug positives, you have to separate legal, therapeutic medications from illegal performance enhancing drugs. An overage for Lasix or Banamine is in a different category than a stimulant. Statistically, the numbers suggest lest than 0.5% (that's one half of one percent) of positives are for Class 1 or 2 substances, and a number of those are environmental contaminations. 5% to 10% of the races having "shady" stuff sounds pretty high to me.

There are people who blame jockeys and cheating trainers far more often than reality might suggest. I've been doing a lot of interviews with jockeys and I'll be publishing what they say about race riding. I've also been interviewing vets and pharmacologists about drugs in racing.

bello
03-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Looking forward to those published interviews. Please post them here as well.

As an aside, as a New Yorker who spent a half of a lifetime at the racetrack and now lives down south where I am not near the track, this banter is the closest I can get to reliving those days of arguments and banter with fellow horse players about anything and everything. And it is enjoyable....don't let any of this get under your skin.

We all have one thing in common. We love racing. And one of the things to love about it is the entire concept of para mutual wagering is about disagreement.

We are a disagreeable bunch, what can I say,

ArlJim78
03-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Wrong.

This was my take as well. He has valid points about the sport I'm sure, but odd that it only surfaces now while he is at a low point. Sounds a bit pouty to me. Time to buck up Dale.

Jack Van Berg was a training legend before Romans was born, and has been through some lean dry times in recent years, and yet here he is at 80 years old sending out a good number of runners and clicking at 12% or so.

cj
03-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Maybe it isn't "drugs" at all. Maybe it is one guy getting 85% of the best bred horses? Who really knows, lets wait to hear if he expounds.

SuperPickle
03-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Maybe it isn't "drugs" at all. Maybe it is one guy getting 85% of the best bred horses? Who really knows, lets wait to hear if he expounds.

Exactly! Everyone this week has been complaining about UConn women's basketball and asking if their dominance is good for the sport. Well here's a question aside from Ralph Nicks who has Mandy Pope's horses don't Chad Brown, Pletcher and Baffert get EVERY horse sold for over $500K?

That might be more the issue than these "drugs."

Kash$
03-29-2016, 01:50 PM

CJ about 85% of the best bred horses are duds...

Baffert has more horses over $500,000 that couldn't break even..

HalvOnHorseracing
03-29-2016, 09:38 PM
Exactly! Everyone this week has been complaining about UConn women's basketball and asking if their dominance is good for the sport. Well here's a question aside from Ralph Nicks who has Mandy Pope's horses don't Chad Brown, Pletcher and Baffert get EVERY horse sold for over $500K?

They don't get every horse, but you make a smart point. The number they get is ridiculously skewed. Nyquist went for $400K as a two year old, and that may have been a bargain since the Uncle Mo's are gaining in popularity, and I know Reddam just got another one for $800K. It would be interesting to see who else gets the expensive thoroughbreds.

Rise Over Run
03-29-2016, 10:12 PM
So wait, shady stuff happens at the track (your first sentence) but if people post about it they are complainers, need mental health evaluations as well as 'blaming others'?

NO! the first sentence was "90% of you are the biggest idiots I've ever met!" And for you, if the shoe fits....

westny
03-29-2016, 10:20 PM

McLaughlin gets Darley/Godolphin racers, Mott other big time owners. Sheriffs in CA does well.

Maybe Romans is discouraged never winning a KD. Pletcher has won 4,000 career races and Romans less than half that. Didn't Romans "retire" a few years ago only to "unretire" He has had nice horses...but never a stream of really good champions year after year...

His bio states he manages a stable of 150. But if he is comparing himself to Pletcher...he is unrealistic and it is not "drugs" Pletcher's bio lists winners and champions. Romans'bio lists alot of training titles...more than champion horses.

So Romans thinks if he moves to Hong Kong he will be the "Pletcher of Sha Tin"?

http://www.toddpletcherracing.com/champions.asp

http://www.toddpletcherracing.com/stakes_winners.asp

http://daleromansracing.com/team.html

Racetrack Playa
03-29-2016, 10:49 PM
Leading 2015 Hong Kong Trainer win rate was 13%, hmm

chenoa
03-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Sheriffs!!! :lol: :lol:

He is a prime example with his babies where if Santa Anita/US were to ever incorporate anything from Hong Kong would be the stalls test and barrier trials.

He flushes a lot of squid when they miss the start by 5 or 6 lengths. Yet, the betting public never learn........Ziconic!!! :lol: :lol:

cj
03-29-2016, 11:21 PM
CJ about 85% of the best bred horses are duds...

Baffert has more horses over $500,000 that couldn't break even..

Irrelevant to the point.

SuperPickle
03-30-2016, 01:17 AM
Romans is now denying all of this according to bloodhorse.

Stillriledup
03-30-2016, 01:23 AM
NO! the first sentence was "90% of you are the biggest idiots I've ever met!" And for you, if the shoe fits....

Thanks for pointing that out, has nothing to do with anything though. Keep trying, one day you'll contribute something that people here want to read.

InsideTheRaces.com
03-31-2016, 04:16 AM
Thanks for pointing that out, has nothing to do with anything though. Keep trying, one day you'll contribute something that people here want to read.
The funny part of all of this was I called out the 90% of idiots and you were the first to respond. Think about that!

Stillriledup
03-31-2016, 04:58 AM
The funny part of all of this was I called out the 90% of idiots and you were the first to respond. Think about that!

I cant, my head would hurt.

woodbinepmi
03-31-2016, 10:38 AM
Leading 2015 Hong Kong Trainer win rate was 13%, hmm
Virtually impossible to win more than 18 to 20% there, with an average of 13 horses in every race and no claiming races to drop down and outclass other runners for easy wins. With the handicap system you are restricted on where you can run your horses.

westny
03-31-2016, 02:40 PM
Virtually impossible to win more than 18 to 20% there, with an average of 13 horses in every race and no claiming races to drop down and outclass other runners for easy wins. With the handicap system you are restricted on where you can run your horses.

:eek: