PDA

View Full Version : "dirtying one up?

bello
03-27-2016, 11:01 PM
What does this really mean?
Does it mean different things to different people?
Is it an intentional act or just a matter of circumstances?

I say this because has always been a common occurrence in harness racing. But when I hear the NYRA commentators use the expression, Including even Maggie, I am sensing it may be different from my point of view.

In harness racing, most tracks write conditions whereby a horse drops based on Non winners of $xxx in the last 5 races. Since standardbreds are extremely durable and hold their form for months, connections basically know what class they can be competitive in and where they will be spinning their wheels. And most harness connections like cashing tickets.

So after a win, when a trotter ot pacer moves up to a class he is not loikly to win, dirtying up means just putting in some really bad PP race lines so when the class drop comes based on monies NOT won in the last 5 races, the horse looks off form and the price will be better. ( does not work as well as it used to since most who still bet harness have figured this out).

So what does it mean to others particularly in the t'bred game.

Is it an accusation that a horse was intentionally raced over t's head to produce bad PP history lines? Or was it an accident due to a rough trip or track conditions that did not suit the horse?

Or is it something completely different than any of the above? On another harness board I mentioned "dirtying up" and someone from the midwest had no clue what I was referring to?

So in the glossary of PA members, what does this expression mean so we are all on the same page, if that is even possible.

Stillriledup
03-27-2016, 11:14 PM
Condition racing in harness punishes winners and check earners by putting them higher and higher up the ladder, that creates less competitive races as the class risers go off at 30-1 and just sit the rail waiting for next week or in some Cases, 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm not sure how that helps the game, there needs to be a better way.