PDA

View Full Version : Corrie Lanerie

thespaah
03-26-2016, 06:41 PM
Anyone watch the Louisiana Derby? What on earth was Lanerie thinking about?
He's on the 2-1 fav Mo Tom...Yes this horse is a closer. But does that mean the jockey has to save ground at all costs. Lanerie appeared to get his mount into trouble by allowing himself to get trapped on the rail..... :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

rgustafson
03-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Anyone watch the Louisiana Derby? What on earth was Lanerie thinking about?
He's on the 2-1 fav Mo Tom...Yes this horse is a closer. But does that mean the jockey has to save ground at all costs. Lanerie appeared to get his mount into trouble by allowing himself to get trapped on the rail..... :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

The second race in a row now that he has done this. He has won with this horse going wide turning for home in previous races. Maybe after today he learned something. :bang:

thespaah
03-26-2016, 10:21 PM
The second race in a row now that he has done this. He has won with this horse going wide turning for home in previous races. Maybe after today he learned something. :bang:
I don't get it. Mo Tom is supposed ot be a top TC contender. I would figure any trainer with a horse of this caliber would be running down the list of jockey agents looking for a replacement.
I don't know much about Lanerie. Is he a rider one would go with on a grade one type horse?

horses4courses
03-26-2016, 10:58 PM
Corey Lanerie is a perfectly good jockey.
He rode a bad race today. It happens.

Tom
03-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Not one I would ever seek out to ride a good horse. :ThmbDown:

rgustafson
03-26-2016, 11:08 PM
He is a top Kentucky jockey with multiple riding titles at Churchill and Keeneland. He has also had moderate success at Gulfstream being in the top ten the last two years at the winter meets. In 2015 he won two grade I races, one at Churchill and one at Keeneland. Does this mean he should continue to be the jockey one Mo Tom? That's up to Amoss.

Robert Fischer
03-26-2016, 11:17 PM
You had Gun Runner in the race, who figured to take 1st run among the stalkers and then lug in to the rail.

Homework clearly wasn't done before the race.

I pictured it

5----5------1
9------9---/
1-------/
2-------------2
6-----------------6
7---------7

in the Fairgrounds stretch

race didn't materialize exactly as I envisioned.

Long story short: CL had the horse that appeared on paper capable of running past all others down the lane with a decent setup regardless of path.

The setup and the pace was going to determine the :6:'s fate, not the path.

If Mo Tom looks like a poor man's Street Sense, then CL looked like a poor man's Calvin Borel today

ManU918
03-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Corey Lanerie is a perfectly good jockey.
He rode a bad race today. It happens.

You're right bad races happen but they shouldn't happen when your horse could have beaten the field running ass first. Good jockeys in this scenario would have went 7 wide at the turn or would have been more patient and went to the outside of Candy My Boy when he was tiring instead of attempting to go up the rail. I had no action on the race but this was an absolute disgraceful ride. Lanerie should be taken off. There's a reason why he is 42 and only has one Kentucky Derby mount. If you can't navigate yourself through a 10 horse Kentucky Derby Prep on an extremely live animal, what the hell are you going to do in a 20 horse field? The pressure got to him.

lamboguy
03-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Victor Espinoza gave CALIFORNIA CHROME a great ride today. i don't think that any other jockey that walks this planet could have done a better job than him with that champion.

pandy
03-27-2016, 09:25 AM
Amoss has won a ton of races with Lanerie but that was a bad ride and now this colt has two nightmarish trips in a row. As soon as the race was over my reaction was that Mo Tom will be getting a rider change next start, and I think that's a given.

Amoss cursed Lanerie out after the race (and apologized later) and said that he thought it was a terrible ride, which it was. Amoss actually took Lanerie off a horse in the 12th, he was so mad. What made the rail trip look worse, right after Lanerie tried to squeeze up the rail there was an opening to the outside. If he had been more patient he would have been able to come right through that opening and the horse would have been no worse than second.

Lanerie is a talented rider but yesterday he clearly blew it and lost an opportunity to ride a horse that has a good shot at winning the Derby.

Donttellmeshowme
03-27-2016, 12:36 PM
He did everything right until he tried to duck to the inside. He should of tried to split horses but i guess when you have to make the quick decision he thought the rail was the best place to go at the time. Dont know if he would have won but i think it would of been close.

Donttellmeshowme
03-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Amoss has won a ton of races with Lanerie but that was a bad ride and now this colt has two nightmarish trips in a row. As soon as the race was over my reaction was that Mo Tom will be getting a rider change next start, and I think that's a given.

Amoss cursed Lanerie out after the race (and apologized later) and said that he thought it was a terrible ride, which it was. Amoss actually took Lanerie off a horse in the 12th, he was so mad. What made the rail trip look worse, right after Lanerie tried to squeeze up the rail there was an opening to the outside. If he had been more patient he would have been able to come right through that opening and the horse would have been no worse than second.

Lanerie is a talented rider but yesterday he clearly blew it and lost an opportunity to ride a horse that has a good shot at winning the Derby.

You have a link to him cursing him out?

pandy
03-27-2016, 12:54 PM
No, it was reported that Amoss was yelling profanities at Lanerie right after the race but later Amoss apologized for "acting unprofessionally".

What made the ride look particularly bad was the fact that the stretch there is so long.

EMD4ME
03-27-2016, 08:34 PM
You have a link to him cursing him out?

Don't want to tell you it happened, so I'll just show you it happened :lol:

For, REAL ;)

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/triple-crown/amoss-no-saint-post-race-tirade/

Donttellmeshowme
03-27-2016, 09:52 PM
Don't want to tell you it happened, so I'll just show you it happened :lol:

For, REAL ;)

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/triple-crown/amoss-no-saint-post-race-tirade/

And i almsot went to FG yesterday but decided not to didnt want to fight the crowd

v j stauffer
03-27-2016, 10:13 PM

Taking a rider off that's riding for you later in the day is a childish reaction.

thespaah
03-28-2016, 12:07 AM
Taking a rider off that's riding for you later in the day is a childish reaction.
So Amoss was "double" unprofessional?

SuperPickle
03-28-2016, 04:01 PM

Vic how do the stewards let him get away with that? It was the next race and their largest card of the meet so there's thousands of dollars in multi-race exotics and the stewards just let him behave like a 6-year-old child and change jockeys.

Btw... I'm now rooting for this horse to get shut off with a different jockey. Just to spite Assmoss.

pandy
03-28-2016, 04:26 PM
Vic how do the stewards let him get away with that? It was the next race and their largest card of the meet so there's thousands of dollars in multi-race exotics and the stewards just let him behave like a 6-year-old child and change jockeys.

Btw... I'm now rooting for this horse to get shut off with a different jockey. Just to spite Assmoss.

Excellent point. The rider change shouldn't have been allowed.

EMD4ME
03-28-2016, 07:35 PM
I, for one, admire his passion for his horse and have zero problem with his behavior.

This world that we live in, giving away participation trophies to kids, is backwards.

You blew the race, or at least a placing, you deserve to get admonished in public!

Lanarie should remember the embarassment and try and learn to be better.

Enough with this politically correct crap. Good for Amoss :ThmbUp:

As far as the late jockey change, If I was alive to that horse (with the late jockey change), I would totally understand why my horse had a late change.

v j stauffer
03-29-2016, 05:21 AM

The stewards cannot force a trainer to ride any jockey.

However if a late change like this is made the replaced jockey will be compensated the exact amount the new rider earns.

So not only does the trainer look like a petulant baby. It's expensive to do so.

v j stauffer
03-29-2016, 05:24 AM
I, for one, admire his passion for his horse and have zero problem with his behavior.

This world that we live in, giving away participation trophies to kids, is backwards.

You blew the race, or at least a placing, you deserve to get admonished in public!

Lanarie should remember the embarassment and try and learn to be better.

Enough with this politically correct crap. Good for Amoss :ThmbUp:

As far as the late jockey change, If I was alive to that horse (with the late jockey change), I would totally understand why my horse had a late change.

The more I read what you write. The more I'm convinced you're just a trolling plant. Saying stupid things to get a rise out of people. Like Lester from the old DMFF.

SuperPickle
03-29-2016, 09:05 AM

However if a late change like this is made the replaced jockey will be compensated the exact amount the new rider earns.

So not only does the trainer look like a petulant baby. It's expensive to do so.

So if he did it in a stake and the horse won he'd be out a second 10%?

pandy
03-29-2016, 10:41 AM

If that's true, then the rules should be changed. Once a trainer puts a jockey on a horse that day, unless the jockey gets sick or injured, the trainer should not be allowed to change riders after the betting has started. This is one of the problems with racing, it consistently allows things to happen that directly affect the bettors. If I bet the Pick 4 and use a horse with Lanerie listed to ride, then I expect Lanerie, or whoever was listed when I made my bet, to ride that horse. Making a rider change because a trainer is pissed off is not good enough.

v j stauffer
03-29-2016, 11:00 AM
So if he did it in a stake and the horse won he'd be out a second 10%?

Correct

Big Peps
03-29-2016, 11:05 AM
I was there Saturday and there was nothing good or admirable about what Amoss did. Zero. It was embarrassing for everyone involved. Not a good look. I have seen plenty of ass peelings from trainers to jockeys, etc. This was a man who just freaking lost it, like I said it was uncomfortable for everyone around

v j stauffer
03-29-2016, 11:08 AM
If that's true, then the rules should be changed. Once a trainer puts a jockey on a horse that day, unless the jockey gets sick or injured, the trainer should not be allowed to change riders after the betting has started. This is one of the problems with racing, it consistently allows things to happen that directly affect the bettors. If I bet the Pick 4 and use a horse with Lanerie listed to ride, then I expect Lanerie, or whoever was listed when I made my bet, to ride that horse. Making a rider change because a trainer is pissed off is not good enough.

I don't disagree with most of this.

But as I said. The stewards do not have control over who rides a particular horse.

As for the bettors it cuts both ways. Do you want a guy who's just been humiliated in public riding that horse?

Some could say that rider would be distracted or pissed off right back at the trainer and wonder if they will get the jock's focused best effort.

Big Peps
03-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Yes and the jockey who was replaced depending on the cirumstances may or may not look to retrieve that money but in this case I am sure Corey is looking for the $$. It's one FU to another FU and will pretty much end any relationship moving forward

Big Peps
03-29-2016, 11:19 AM
I don't disagree with most of this.

But as I said. The stewards do not have control over who rides a particular horse.

As for the bettors it cuts both ways. Do you want a guy who's just been humiliated in public riding that horse?

Some could say that rider would be distracted or pissed off right back at the trainer and wonder if they will get the jock's focused best effort.

I certainly don't think Corey would have had his mind right going out in the next race, riding for any trainer even more so the exact trainer that just humiliated him in public in front of the biggest crowd of the year after the biggest race of the year

EMD4ME
03-29-2016, 04:18 PM
The more I read what you write. The more I'm convinced you're just a trolling plant. Saying stupid things to get a rise out of people. Like Lester from the old DMFF.

Not at all Goof. I say it like I see it, no more, no less.

Sick of this pansy world we live in. Guy made the same mistake twice in a high profile race.

I as a fan have zero problem watching a head coach berate his player in front of his teammates. The player is a professional, he should be able to take the heat for a poor mental decision.

Now, berating someone for a physical issue is a different story. I wouldn't like that.

Unless Lanarie had a leg cramp or arm cramp at a terrible moment, it's safe to say he made a poor mental decision.

I have zero issue with the trainer blasting him for it in public.

If it was an office environment, I'd say: It should be in private. But we're talking about a $1,000,000 prep for the Kentucky Derby.

I found his tirade refreshing and much needed. Not kidding. It's passion and frustration coming out.

FrankieFigs
03-29-2016, 06:08 PM
This from the Bloodhorse article:

"It was a bad ride and totally my fault," Lanerie said. "He came underneath me and I had more horse than I knew what to do with. I got him in trouble and went inside when I shouldn't have. I doubt they'll let me sit on him again. He's a great horse."

At least give the guy credit that he knew he blew it.

nijinski
03-29-2016, 07:12 PM
This isn't the first time in the sport and it won't be the last time .Jocks
have had to to take the the public beating after a bad ride .
A lot of time is put into the training up to these races and and a bad ride blows
that in minutes . That's extremely frustrating for trainer and owner .

It looks good that Lanerie owned up to it and Amoss apologizes but I certainly can understand the trainer's reaction .

Tall One
04-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Apparently, TVG reported yesterday that Lanerie will retain the mount on Mo Tom in the Derby.

pandy
04-01-2016, 10:12 AM
Apparently, TVG reported yesterday that Lanerie will retain the mount on Mo Tom in the Derby.

Yeah, Lanerie was shocked. Talk about pressure. Now he has to ride this trouble prone one run closer in a 20 horse field in front of a massive crowd. I wish him luck, though, it's always nice to see a good guy get redemption.

Tall One
04-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Yeah, Lanerie was shocked. Talk about pressure. Now he has to ride this trouble prone one run closer in a 20 horse field in front of a massive crowd. I wish him luck, though, it's always nice to see a good guy get redemption.

No doubt, Pandy...Snip from Frankie's post:

"He came underneath me and I had more horse than I knew what to do with..."

Hope he remembers this going forward.

CincyHorseplayer
04-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Keep him clear and outside. I definitely want to see what this horse has down the lane with a clear run.