PDA

View Full Version : Lani

PowerUpPaynter
03-26-2016, 09:45 AM
Will head to the Kentucky Derby after win in UAE Derby. I hate trying to figure out if these UAE Derby horses have a chance to finish top 4.

burnsy
03-26-2016, 09:49 AM
Opps Sorry. Beat a pretty good horse and breeding.

Raider
03-26-2016, 10:10 AM
and a gray, how many is that now, three?

letswastemoney
03-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Dubai horses almost never run well in the Kentucky Derby. I don't know why that would change now.

Without doing some research, I can't think of one that ran in the Top 4.

Mc990
03-26-2016, 11:19 AM
I think the problem with the recent horses coming from Dubai is they just haven't been good enough. A few of them have run their race in Kentucky. Regarding Lani, let's see how the numbers come back. Breeding solid. If he handles the trip well, he could be live. Love the 2 preps and 6 weeks coming in.

Raider
03-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Has there even been one from Japan? That was a long plane ride from Japan.

Psychotic Parakeet
03-26-2016, 12:37 PM
I learned my lesson last year from Mubtaahij. I'll skip Dubai-based horses.

olddaddy
03-26-2016, 02:12 PM
I learned my lesson last year from Mubtaahij. I'll skip Dubai-based horses.

Lani is not dubai based

Stoleitbreezing
03-26-2016, 02:15 PM
The other horses seemed to be coming back to this one more than him powering by. The race was no where close to Moobs last year. I saw nothing from what I saw today that leads me use this one. Easy toss.

SecretAgentMan
03-26-2016, 02:25 PM
Don't see any horse from the UAE winning the KD this year.

Chrome looked spectacular in the big race.

pele polo
03-27-2016, 01:25 AM
Has there even been one from Japan? That was a long plane ride from Japan.

In 1995 there was a horse from Japan that ran in th Derbt by the name of Ski Captain (?). I think the he was also gray and ridden by the exact same jockey as Lani.

sammy the sage
03-27-2016, 07:13 AM
horse would've been taken down stateside...P.R. clearly best..

PaceMasterT
03-27-2016, 10:59 AM
The other horses seemed to be coming back to this one more than him powering by. The race was no where close to Moobs last year. I saw nothing from what I saw today that leads me use this one. Easy toss.

Two others moved with him down the stretch and the horse that got fifth looked like he was flying. So, I wouldn't say he was making some super move down the stretch. However, making that move from last to third early when they were slowing the pace upfront and still having that left in the stretch was fairly impressive.

Run Nicholas Run
03-28-2016, 12:31 AM
In 1995 there was a horse from Japan that ran in th Derbt by the name of Ski Captain (?). I think the he was also gray and ridden by the exact same jockey as Lani.

and ski captain is still trying to finish that race.

boys at tosconova
03-31-2016, 01:52 AM
no chance...

every year people get sucked into bs regarding these horses..either they look good, train well or some other nonsense.

i'm off of all these uae horses,..because they only cost u money and always run like caca.

i would like to see ichiro ride him

boys at tosconova
04-23-2016, 02:12 AM
c'mon.....lets get the lani hype going....it happens every year w/ these uae horses.

Lemon Drop Husker
04-23-2016, 06:39 AM
c'mon.....lets get the lani hype going....it happens every year w/ these uae horses.

I will say this, if Mubtahiij were running this year, I'd give him a very very solid shot.

Lani is different than just about every other UAE shipper we've ever seen. He has classic American breeding.

One of these UAE horses will show up someday, and maybe even win. This is a hard one to see, but I'll definitely be watching his works leading up to the Derby. Breeding alone gives me pause on kicking this one.

sammy the sage
04-23-2016, 07:51 AM
no drugs..no shot...the Euro grass runners have figured it out...as 80% of the time the 2nd or 3rd rate turfer w/THE magic L beat the highly touted #1 w/out the L

pretty simple...a horse that pisses 20 lbs has an advantage over those who do not...

Mc990
04-23-2016, 08:23 AM
Will he be getting lasix? Connections seem sharp so I imagine he will be... If so, that puts his numbers right there with 80% of the field. Has the breeding, has nice rest coming in, got to CD early.

As a side note, I'm of the belief his price in the win pool will be insultingly short... Probably a better idea to use as a multi-race key... Sort of a quasi win bet if you like him. The more sophisticated pools will probably reflect an overlaid price.

sbcaris
04-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Lani was 1/2 length behind at the mile of the UAE Derby and won the race in 158 2/5. He therefore ran the last 3/16 in 19 1/5 which translates into a very good finish. So far he has run the longest distance of all the 3 year olds this year and has won over a million dollars.

Review of Fractions for Lani

6 furlongs----------------1mile-------------1 mile and 3/16

1:14 2/5-----------------139 1/5-----------1:58 2/5

His time between the 6 furlong point and the Mile was 24 4/5.

His last 3/16 was run in 19 1/5 which translates into approximately 25 2/5 for the last 1/4 of the derby distance. (note--thats my estimate

SecretAgentMan
04-23-2016, 12:06 PM
Lani was 1/2 length behind at the mile of the UAE Derby and won the race in 158 2/5. He therefore ran the last 3/16 in 19 1/5 which translates into a very good finish. So far he has run the longest distance of all the 3 year olds this year and has won over a million dollars.

His last 3/16 was run in 19 1/5 which translates into approximately 25 2/5 for the last 1/4 of the derby distance. (note--thats my estimate

Didn't Mubtaahij run very well in last years UAE? Only thing I like about Lani is his american breeding. IMO, when UAE derby horse wins the KD, it will be with an american jockey.

SecretAgentMan
04-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Will he be getting lasix? Connections seem sharp so I imagine he will be... If so, that puts his numbers right there with 80% of the field. Has the breeding, has nice rest coming in, got to CD early.

As a side note, I'm of the belief his price in the win pool will be insultingly short... Probably a better idea to use as a multi-race key... Sort of a quasi win bet if you like him. The more sophisticated pools will probably reflect an overlaid price.

I will be surprised if Lani reveives Lasix.

Blenheim
04-23-2016, 02:09 PM

Take a look at this website: http://umanity.jp/en/racedata/db/horse_top.php?code=2013110045 (http://umanity.jp/en/racedata/db/horse_top.php?code=2013110045)

The data here raises a few questions, particularly about the Hyacinth Stakes. I'm not much of a speed guy - what is the speed figure / performance figure for that one turn race run on a muddy track? How fast did he run that thing and how fast was the last fraction? 3F getting faster? Lost or gained weight from the last out? Interesting web site here . . .

Here is another website: http://www.racingandsports.com.au/horse/lani-1027162
Enter any horse name. Click on the rating, performance radar and head to head for additional info. By the way, his jockey won the Japanese Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing.

boys at tosconova
04-23-2016, 03:58 PM
to be honest i haven't even looked at the horse which is a mistake. i've just been so sick of previous versions taking $$ from me while not running a lick that i just lumped them all together.

to top it off, it's japanese horse, not even a european. i don't know how japanese horses translate to us horses, but i'd be willing to bet that they're not as good.

yankeelpn
04-23-2016, 08:08 PM
Sunday Silence in his bloodline

ronsmac
04-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Didn't Mubtaahij run very well in last years UAE? Only thing I like about Lani is his american breeding. IMO, when UAE derby horse wins the KD, it will be with an american jockey.Mubtaahij was at least 5 lengths better than Lani.

PowerUpPaynter
04-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Mubtaahij was at least 5 lengths better than Lani.

agreed. Lani is a total toss and really one of the weaker UAE horse in my opinion

SecretAgentMan
04-23-2016, 09:24 PM
to be honest i haven't even looked at the horse which is a mistake. i've just been so sick of previous versions taking $$ from me while not running a lick that i just lumped them all together.

to top it off, it's japanese horse, not even a european. i don't know how japanese horses translate to us horses, but i'd be willing to bet that they're not as good.

I hate the fact that horses outside the US are allowed to race in the KD. They shouldn't be allowed unless they've raced all their prep races here in the US, or at least their 3 year old prep races.

You look at the past performances & don't see sh*t! You can't cap the horse at all.

boys at tosconova
04-23-2016, 09:42 PM
I hate the fact that horses outside the US are allowed to race in the KD. They shouldn't be allowed unless they've raced all their prep races here in the US, or at least their 3 year old prep races.

You look at the past performances & don't see sh*t! You can't cap the horse at all.

i'm sure if you scour the internet you can find some good things about the horse that recommends more than a cursory glance. i'm sure somebody will unearth further info w/ will dictate a play, and/or the horse will put in an amazing work.

horses4courses
04-23-2016, 09:45 PM
Mubtaahij was at least 5 lengths better than Lani.

I'm not sure how you figure that.
Lani missed the break in Dubai, then raced wide.
Ran a big race considering. Weak opposition probably.

I don't give him much chance at Churchill.
Mubtaahij wasn't great, though. :ThmbDown:

SecretAgentMan
04-23-2016, 09:54 PM
i'm sure if you scour the internet you can find some good things about the horse that recommends more than a cursory glance. i'm sure somebody will unearth further info w/ will dictate a play, and/or the horse will put in an amazing work.

I rather play Oscar Nominated.

ronsmac
04-23-2016, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure how you figure that.
Lani missed the break in Dubai, then raced wide.
Ran a big race considering. Weak opposition probably.

I don't give him much chance at Churchill.
Mubtaahij wasn't great, though. :ThmbDown:
Ran a big race but has no chance? Ok. I didn't think any of those horses in the UAE Derby ran a big race. Then again it's just my opinion.

horses4courses
04-23-2016, 11:54 PM
Ran a big race but has no chance? Ok. I didn't think any of those horses in the UAE Derby ran a big race. Then again it's just my opinion.

I think with the trip he had, he was much the best.
Those horses looked really slow in the final eighth, though.

boys at tosconova
04-23-2016, 11:55 PM
i think i found lani's competition in japans world cup races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrZohfbbdOM

horses4courses
04-24-2016, 12:34 AM
RYdg7m3kT8Q

kevb
04-24-2016, 09:05 AM
Trying to make a case for the Dubai horses in the Derby has been a muggs game for many years, and may continue to be for years to come. Call me a mugg, but Lani beat Frank Conversation in the UAE Derby. Maybe FC folded due to any number of reasons, but as someone on the Thorograph board said, 'what if Frank Conversation ran his race'. Then you can asses FC's chances in the Derby, and project Lani a few lengths better than that. FC looks very good in the Chef-de-race site's numbers as far as 3FR, TE, 10FTT and 10FLQ.

Just another mugg looking to catch lightening in a bottle.

dballard125
04-24-2016, 10:34 PM
Pretty good breakdown here of how Lani's UAE compared to Nyquist's Florida Derby, using Trakus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGM1byOTGcY

If this horse were to make another move forward, he could certainly be a win contender at Churchill.

ronsmac
04-25-2016, 12:50 AM
Pretty good breakdown here of how Lani's UAE compared to Nyquist's Florida Derby, using Trakus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGM1byOTGcY

If this horse were to make another move forward, he could certainly be a win contender at Churchill.Good luck.

dballard125
04-25-2016, 01:01 AM
Good luck.

I'm not playing him (on top at least). Just saying, i think he is one of the few that could steal this race from Nyquist, if Nyquist were to get a bad trip or not run his best effort. I don't think there's many others in here that can.

Grits
04-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Lollygagging.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/211132/lani-works-in-perplexing-fashion

fiznow
04-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Lani seems to be a funny guy.

Take acknowledged that Lani's temperament is such that he's not always willing to run, but "if he wants to run on Derby Day, we have a big chance." The jockey said he wouldn't know which Lani was showing up until they broke from the gate.

ronsmac
04-27-2016, 12:47 PM
Lani seems to be a funny guy.

Take acknowledged that Lani's temperament is such that he's not always willing to run, but "if he wants to run on Derby Day, we have a big chance." The jockey said he wouldn't know which Lani was showing up until they broke from the gate.
Time is not the be all end all, in fact it's about the 5th or 6th most important factor in my opinion. With that said Lani was approximately 3.4 seconds faster than Chrome when Mubtaahij was approximately 4 9 seconds faster than Prince Bishop last year and I didn't even think he was a contender.

SecretAgentMan
04-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Lani looks like a complete toss!

ronsmac
04-27-2016, 04:51 PM
Lani looks like a complete toss!Agreed. If he finishes in the top half of the field. I not only lose a side bet, I get to eat a lot of crow.

SecretAgentMan
04-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Agreed. If he finishes in the top half of the field. I not only lose a side bet, I get to eat a lot of crow.

I just wish foreign horses weren't allowed into the derby unless they raced in two graded stakes races here in the US. They always throw a wrench in your capping & you hope they don't show up. Luckily they haven't but one day they might win the roses.

Lani looks horrible in his workouts!

boys at tosconova
05-02-2016, 01:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqmzR6qlnZY

KqmzR6qlnZY

Hoops McCann
05-02-2016, 03:33 PM
I don't care if he doesn't have a chance, I'm pulling for this guy. If for the sole reason that his dam is out of Sunday Silence. I just can't warm up to any other horse in the race. Actually, i like Suddenbreakingnews a little bit :) .

SecretAgentMan
05-02-2016, 03:39 PM
I don't care if he doesn't have a chance, I'm pulling for this guy. If for the sole reason that his dam is out of Sunday Silence. I just can't warm up to any other horse in the race. Actually, i like Suddenbreakingnews a little bit :) .

I asked my 11 year old niece who she likes, she stated SuddenBreakingNews too, lol! You never know, & with how average this years field is, & IMO Nyquist isn't as dominant as others portray him because of his 7 for 7 record, Lani wouldn't shock me either, trends & angles are being broken every year.

PowerUpPaynter
05-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Lani or Oscar Nominated would absolute completely totally shock the crap out of me. Anyone else, meh, i wouldnt be shocked.

Bullet Plane
05-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Well, this is an interesting colt....

Critics of Lani say that no Dubai based colt will win the Derby... (he's not Dubai based, but we'll let that one go)

How about winners who prepped in Venezuela? Cannonero II!!

How about Derby winners who got beat in their prep at Sunland Park? Mine That Bird!!

How about winners with Beyers under 83 in their prep? Mine That Bird ... 81

Were Mine That Bird and Cannonero II flukes?

Then why did they perform so well in the Preakness? Those also flukes?

Every time they raced, it just seemed to be a fluke? They were "Flukers"?

Hell, I don't know if Lani will win the Derby. But it sure is shaping up to be a soft Derby. I don't like anybody in the race. Can they all lose?

The prep winners have low speed figures that remind me of the Derby field during the Mine That Bird shocker.

Just remember that Mine That Bird shocker!!!

I remember accidentally getting my wife a win ticket on MTB. When I gave the ticket to her, she told me that I'd bought the wrong ticket.

I said that I would take it back and get the right ticket. She said, "No, this will be good luck/"

I said, "That horse has zero shot, zero. You might as well flush the ticket down the toilet."

So, I took her ticket back and exchanged it for her.

I haven't heard that last of it yet!

Maybe Nyquist will be the next American Pharoah, but he looks like a potential short priced bust to me.

SecretAgentMan
05-02-2016, 04:31 PM
Lani or Oscar Nominated would absolute completely totally shock the crap out of me. Anyone else, meh, i wouldnt be shocked.

I put $30 on Oscar Nominated in a futures at 60-1 because the field is so weak, & the rest went on Gun Runner. Those are my only 2 futures.

I get a headache looking at these horses, & just trying to figure out if I'm wrong about Gun Runner.

Last time I was over thinking after my bets were in was 2009, MTB won, I played Pioneer of the Nile. Still made money, but should have had a $20 exacta box.

SecretAgentMan
05-02-2016, 04:33 PM
Well, this is an interesting colt....

Critics of Lani say that no Dubai based colt will win the Derby... (he's not Dubai based, but we'll let that one go)

How about winners who prepped in Venezuela? Cannonero II!!

How about Derby winners who got beat in their prep at Sunland Park? Mine That Bird!!

How about winners with Beyers under 83 in their prep? Mine That Bird ... 81

Were Mine That Bird and Cannonero II flukes?

Then why did they perform so well in the Preakness? Those also flukes?

Every time they raced, it just seemed to be a fluke? They were "Flukers"?

Hell, I don't know if Lani will win the Derby. But it sure is shaping up to be a soft Derby. I don't like anybody in the race. Can they all lose?

The prep winners have low speed figures that remind me of the Derby field during the Mine That Bird shocker.

Just remember that Mine That Bird shocker!!!

I remember accidentally getting my wife a win ticket on MTB. When I gave the ticket to her, she told me that I'd bought the wrong ticket.

I said that I would take it back and get the right ticket. She said, "No, this will be good luck/"

I said, "That horse has zero shot, zero. You might as well flush the ticket down the toilet."

So, I took her ticket back and exchanged it for her.

I haven't heard that last of it yet!

Maybe Nyquist will be the next American Pharoah, but he looks like a potential short priced bust to me.

Thing is with AP last year, Dortmund & Firing Line were monsters, as were some othere decent horses, this year everyone looks average at best, even the 7 for 7 Nyquist Nyquist l

whodoyoulike
05-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Since there isn't that much info on Lani just saw this article.

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/15447091/unpredictable-lani-goes-derby-wild-card

... He yells full-throated, wild-eyed at nearly every passing horse, and Lani, evidently angling for an early stallion career, makes no effort to hide an already-keen eye for fillies. His training sessions have been the source of amusement and amazement. Lani spends far longer out on the track than most American horses, and it often has taken him far longer than American horses to run around Churchill's famed oval. ...

he was kept far away from his foes, heading down the tunnel to the parade ring after the other horses had gone past, hollering all the way down the tunnel. Lani spent little time in the parade ring, going out onto the track to warm up long before the post parade. ...

depalma113
05-04-2016, 05:03 AM
Lani worked 5 furlongs in 1:01, 3rd fastest of 18 and other than shying from something in the stretch, the work was pretty good.

The horse is big. Creator looks like a dwarf standing next to him.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2016, 08:11 AM
This horse will be on my tickets.

olddaddy
05-04-2016, 08:38 AM
I will be watching if the yens show up. If they do, Ill be all over it.

ronsmac
05-08-2016, 05:29 PM
It looks like Lani will be this years Mr. Z. He's trying to get that 5th place money in the Preakness.

tanner12oz
05-08-2016, 06:34 PM
It looks like Lani will be this years Mr. Z. He's trying to get that 5th place money in the Preakness.

why the heck not? He's over here might as well try pimlico

depalma113
05-08-2016, 07:24 PM

The plan for Lani was to race in all three Triple Crown races.

At least his connections have more balls than half of the American Super Trainers.

sammy the sage
05-08-2016, 07:49 PM
When he gets the drug L...then I'll consider him...otherwise NOT...pissing 20lbs +....is an ADVANTAGE...period...

ronsmac
05-08-2016, 09:30 PM
The plan for Lani was to race in all three Triple Crown races.

At least his connections have more balls than half of the American Super Trainers.He would never have made the Derby field if he had to run in an American prep. Well if he takes even 3% of exacta or tri money that is a 3% takeout reduction so no complaints here.

depalma113
05-08-2016, 09:53 PM
He would never have made the Derby field if he had to run in an American prep. Well if he takes even 3% of exacta or tri money that is a 3% takeout reduction so no complaints here.

He finished better than 11 of the horses that did qualify in American preps.

f2tornado
05-08-2016, 10:34 PM
I thought Lani should have gone Peter Pan - Belmont route. Good horse with some stellar breeding should win his share of races wherever they may be.

ronsmac
05-09-2016, 12:21 AM
He finished better than 11 of the horses that did qualify in American preps.You bet him at Pimlico, he won't be on my trifecta tickets.

depalma113
05-09-2016, 06:13 AM
You bet him at Pimlico, he won't be on my trifecta tickets.

After getting mugged by Destin, he was 4 wide around the first turn and 8 wide around the second and than fanned out into the middle of the track at the top of the stretch and kept closing.

His Derby was more than good enough to warrant using him at Pimlico.

ronsmac
05-09-2016, 11:31 AM
After getting mugged by Destin, he was 4 wide around the first turn and 8 wide around the second and than fanned out into the middle of the track at the top of the stretch and kept closing.

His Derby was more than good enough to warrant using him at Pimlico.I wish you luck, you'll be getting a very nice price. Even underneath.

Hoops McCann
05-09-2016, 12:09 PM
he really needs an American jock

MNslappy
05-21-2016, 10:58 PM
Thought this guy actually ran a hell of a race today after watching the replay about 5 times. Man, he was coming like a freight train down the stretch but had to switch lanes at least three times. Probably hits the trifecta if not for the traffic issues, which of course, is the position you put yourself in trying to come from that far back.

parlay
05-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Thought this guy actually ran a hell of a race today after watching the replay about 5 times. Man, he was coming like a freight train down the stretch but had to switch lanes at least three times. Probably hits the trifecta if not for the traffic issues, which of course, is the position you put yourself in trying to come from that far back.

If Lanerie rides him he might have won. Closed every step with Cherry Wine but didnt get the sweet trip up the rail like the 2 top finishers.

cj
05-22-2016, 11:57 AM
Until Lani gets his mind on racing he'll always be up against it. But, there is no doubt he is a talented horse. The stories I've heard about him though are nuts. I'll just say he is not "master of his domain" if you get the Seinfeld reference.

thespaah
05-22-2016, 05:03 PM
he really needs an American jock
Oddly enough, I would expect the regular rider to be able to negotiate traffic more adeptly due to the fact that over in Japan the typical field of horses is much larger.

Bullet Plane
05-22-2016, 08:06 PM
Well, lets see...

...he finished 1 and 1/2 lengths behind Nyquist and took home a check.

Purse winnings are distributed out to the fifth place finisher.

I'm not saying that I bet him. And, I admit that I am mildly shocked.

But, this is horse racing.

If you want to know why people bet this game, take a good hard look at Lani.

Who knows what this animal will do next?

Hoops McCann
05-23-2016, 11:17 AM
Oddly enough, I would expect the regular rider to be able to negotiate traffic more adeptly due to the fact that over in Japan the typical field of horses is much larger.

You're right, the fields are bigger. Almost every stakes race has the max 18 horses in it. The jocks are more passive over there...which may be why Christoph Lemaire is tearing it up there.

If Lani had a jock who knew Belmont well, he would've a decent shot. With Take riding, his chances are slim.