PDA

View Full Version : Online Paddock Handicapping

highnote
03-24-2016, 10:41 PM
Does anyone know the name of a man who used to offer an online service for paddock handicapping at Southern California tracks?

He would deliver live paddock info about each horse over the internet to subscribers.

This was in the early days of the internet -- probably the mid to late 1990s.

highnote
03-24-2016, 11:04 PM
Also, he might have worked with Julio Bruno. I think I found out about Bruno through the paddock handicapping site.

Mechanic
03-24-2016, 11:15 PM
Southern Californian horses to Watch? Joe Takach?

highnote
03-25-2016, 02:18 AM
Southern Californian horses to Watch? Joe Takach?

That's him! THANK YOU!

lamboguy
03-25-2016, 04:50 AM
the other day i happened to put the NYRA live feed on to watch the way the horses leave the paddock and get handed off to the out rider, my volume happened to be on and i hear Richard Migliore come on and start commenting the looks of the horses. he gets to the horse that i was interested in and says how impressed he was at the ease of handing the horse off. then he goes on to comment on the other horses on the track. i had never ever saw an analyst that even knew how important those few brief seconds are with first time starter's. since the age of simulcasting i have always tried to pay close attention to the way the horse comes on the track, finally i found a guy that know's what he is doing, then he goes on to comment about the horses that break away from the out rider. all things that i have always looked for.

Tom
03-25-2016, 10:09 AM
PA reading room has a lot of Joe's articles. Main page, far right hand , scroll down and there is a box for reading material.

Cice
03-25-2016, 10:31 AM
It doesn't hurt the Migs is the all time leader on the inner track as well! He has called out triple bombs before, very valuable I agree!

bello
03-25-2016, 11:17 AM
The Mig,

I know I have knocked the Big A about a few things....But credit where credit is due.

Gotta love the MiG. His assessment of horses on the track is nothing short of amazing. I am a paddock dweller which is why I love being at the track. But between Maggie and the Mig they are better than my own eyeballs due to the insight they have that I never will have.

They are more important to me than what any public handicapper says, other than discussing a biased aided good or bad trip ( thanks little man and mountainman)as I trust my own handicapping judgment. But when the 2 MGS Maggie and Mig are not positive about the appearance of my selection, I will lay off. Of course being a horizontal player that will only work with starting a new sequence.

delayjf
03-25-2016, 12:06 PM
I used to subscribe to his news letter, but I'm not sure he's still doing that anymore. Did he move his entire operation live online??

Nitro
03-25-2016, 12:15 PM
Joe Tachach is really good when it comes to understanding the pre-race physicality of the horses involved. He’s also written quite a bit about it too. Unfortunately because of the ever changing restricted time allowed between races here in the States, it seems that any pre-race observations about entries in the paddock and post parade are no longer discussed live. Just the opposite occurs with the Hong Kong racing. Because their schedule allows for a ½ hour between races they have ample time to discuss (in detail) fields of 14 entries. Being half-way around the world and having experienced eyes in the paddock can be a real attribute to anyone who's playing seriously. :ThmbUp:

I applaud HK Jockey Club for the product they offer the bettors. Its first rate in every respect!

ultracapper
03-25-2016, 01:49 PM
The ladies at Santa Anita are not very good at all, and can, and will, unintentionally mislead as often as not. One is Tim Yakteen's wife, and the other is another trainer's wife, I believe a small time trainer named Hansen. I believe they both have the job due to their connections more than their knowledge. Most the time their comments tend to be made in the support of the horses that they have chosen to tout rather than what they are really seeing. Just one example: a couple weeks ago they were discussing a horse that they had both tossed from their P4 tickets. When the horse was on camera, one of them noticed that the horse was "dripping wet". I was looking at the very same picture they were and I couldn't see what in the world she was talking about. The horse was fine (And happened to win at 9/5) I thought to myself that her comments were more wishful thinking because she had tossed the horse than what she was actually seeing. That isn't the only time, by far, that they have been way off.

Clocker
03-25-2016, 02:49 PM
Back before I ditched the DISH and still had TVG, I found the best commentators were Dawn Lupul at Woodbine and Christina Bossinakis at Monmouth. Don't know if that is still the case.

Simon Bray was good when he had the chance to talk about physicality during a post parade, but generally the guys were too busy with snappy patter and their exotic tickets. That was one of the reasons I ditched DISH. TVG was largely a waste of time.

Joe Tachach's articles on physicality are very good, and he has a DVD that is also good. I find it difficult to get much out of the paddock or post parade videos from most tracks because the coverage is generally too brief and too distant.

highnote
03-25-2016, 02:58 PM
Takach's website is joe-takach.com, but the "contact" page doesn't work. Does anyone know if he's still in the business?

lamboguy
03-25-2016, 03:00 PM
The Mig,

I know I have knocked the Big A about a few things....But credit where credit is due.

Gotta love the MiG. His assessment of horses on the track is nothing short of amazing. I am a paddock dweller which is why I love being at the track. But between Maggie and the Mig they are better than my own eyeballs due to the insight they have that I never will have.

They are more important to me than what any public handicapper says, other than discussing a biased aided good or bad trip ( thanks little man and mountainman)as I trust my own handicapping judgment. But when the 2 MGS Maggie and Mig are not positive about the appearance of my selection, I will lay off. Of course being a horizontal player that will only work with starting a new sequence.try playing inside horses today at the Big A, you will go broke. i haven't listened to Migliore today because i'm not playing anything there today, the horses i liked were all on the inside. i can wait till the next time they run!

no breathalyzer
03-25-2016, 03:13 PM
dead rail?

lamboguy
03-25-2016, 03:27 PM
dead rail?so far there are 7 that i would have bet on a normal rail, now i will get a better price next time. i do this for every track, just so happens that Aqueduct was dead as a door nail today.

bello
03-25-2016, 04:49 PM
Worst rail I have seen all season on the inner by far.
Linda Rice just told Maggie they are sending the 1 in race 8 at odds on. Let's see if the 2 or 5 hems him in,

bello
03-25-2016, 04:53 PM
And maybe not...#1 glues to the rail every step of the way and wins for fun.

lamboguy
03-25-2016, 05:44 PM
And maybe not...#1 glues to the rail every step of the way and wins for fun.
i spotted the dead rail after the first race and never made a bet today, just watched and took notes. i am going to have a few good bet against and a few good bet on's.

bello must be real sad that he isn't betting on $60 winners anymore at Sam Houston :lol:

whodoyoulike
03-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Takach's website is joe-takach.com, but the "contact" page doesn't work. Does anyone know if he's still in the business?

Someone on here mentioned he retired. Uncertain how long ago. You can probably search Tackach and retired.

the little guy
03-25-2016, 08:13 PM
Worst rail I have seen all season on the inner by far.
Linda Rice just told Maggie they are sending the 1 in race 8 at odds on. Let's see if the 2 or 5 hems him in,

The rail was proven to be fine in Race 6, something we discussed on the air as well as Twitter, and the early results are ambiguous. As we also discussed, the track likely changed after the 3rd race. There was rain expected that never arrived, which can result in issues with track maintenance. We discussed this on air as well as Twitter.

12/26 was a dead rail. Today? Maybe the first few. Maybe.

bello
03-25-2016, 08:33 PM
Yep, I agree...especially after watching the last 2 races. In particular race 9 where the rail horse dug back on the rail for the win in fo

Of course I posted the worst rail of the year after 7 races and then I watch races 8 and 9 and ate crow. Of course I loved Linda's horse race 8 as the obvious lone speed but after watching 7 horses win off the rail I laid off the race. Race 9 was a three horse regardless but with the potential of an outside bias it looked like the 5 had the edge. Either he hung or the 2 (rail horse) came back. But if the rail was awful the 2 would not have came back on,

highnote
04-04-2016, 08:07 PM
I haven't had any luck reaching Joe Takach. Does anyone know how to reach him?

THANKS!