PDA

View Full Version : Who is running TVG!!???

sharkie187
03-22-2016, 05:36 PM
The Pick 6 opener at Turf Paradise was loading and then TVG goes split screen to show a mutual fund commerical, then the race takes off and suddenly it cuts away to a "complusive gambling" commerical. Didn't even show the results or stretch run on either TVG or TVG2. It's like the Heidi Game according to my dad. Fire the guy in the broadcast studio!!!

EMD4ME
03-22-2016, 05:45 PM
The Pick 6 opener at Turf Paradise was loading and then TVG goes split screen to show a mutual fund commerical, then the race takes off and suddenly it cuts away to a "complusive gambling" commerical. Didn't even show the results or stretch run on either TVG or TVG2. It's like the Heidi Game according to my dad. Fire the guy in the broadcast studio!!!

Maybe it's the guy/gal in charge of the camera at PARX (for gallop outs?) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stillriledup
03-22-2016, 05:47 PM

You mean they didnt show a diabetes, cancer, prostate or MESOTHELIOMA commercial? :eek:

Donttellmeshowme
03-22-2016, 05:48 PM

That would set me over the edge right there.

Rise Over Run
03-22-2016, 09:02 PM
They have a pick 6 at Turf Paradise? Wow, learn something every day. In their defense, that pool is on the order of $15k; if they're lucky TVG handles 5%. They make a lot more on the ad revenue. Sorry buddy

Tom
03-22-2016, 09:37 PM
Yes, why would TVG choose to serve their customers? :lol:

SandyW
03-22-2016, 09:43 PM
TVG, never customer friendly, it have been this way for a very long time.

SG4
03-22-2016, 10:05 PM
I agree that production decisions have headed downhill of late, a lot of the blame though goes to the 2 big Stronach tracks racing on top of each other which is foolish on so many levels. Either way the amount of split screen races lately has been on the uptick & it's a real frustration to deal with them. I'd suggest showing one live & the other immediately on tape delay, but I've seen them try this with some long & untrustworthy delays so it's pick your poison. Worst was the other day a race broke off from Gulfstream, they stayed in the split screen until the quarter pole, all because Montell here had to tell us all about money mutual, again.

tanner12oz
03-22-2016, 10:43 PM
I dont think the pick 6 at tp carries alot of weight anywhere

Southbaygent
03-23-2016, 02:54 AM
Is there any alternative to TVG via cable/satellite TV? I just "cut" my Cox cable service, eliminating all phone and entertainment. I kept high speed internet, it's fast.

So I'm streaming everything now, using a Roku box, digital antenna for local stations, etc.

But I miss TVG, not necessarily the content of commentators, but I miss feeling "involved", just watching races one-be-one on Internet isn't the same....haven't found a streaming alternative to TVG.

Tom
03-23-2016, 07:36 AM
RTN has a monthly package for $50, last I knew.

Tall One
03-23-2016, 08:51 AM
My setup:

Laptop
Live track feed through Xpressbet
HDMI cord
55" HDTV

/profit

SandyW
03-23-2016, 11:57 AM
RTN $50 a month is for Dish customers.

For non-dish customers this is what RTN offers:

ONLINE/MOBILE PACKAGE
(TV Package Subscription Not Required)

Daily
$5 Unlimited Race Replays $10 Unlimited Live Video Streaming
and Race Replays.
Monthly
$15 Unlimited Race Replays $25 Unlimited Live Video Streaming
and Race Replays $10 Unlimited Live Video Streaming
and Race Replays. (Harness Only)
Annual
$165 Unlimited Race Replays $275 Unlimited Live Video Streaming
and Race Replays.

Video Streaming Of Live Simulcast Feeds (Full Cards, Unedited, Uninterrupted)
Exact Same Simulcast Feeds As In Racetracks And Simulcast Outlets
Every Race From Every Simulcast Every Day
Every United States Simulcast And Select International Simulcasts Available Largest Simulcast Menu Anywhere (Commercial Or Residential)
Coverage Includes Thoroughbred, Harness, Quarter Horse, Greyhound Racing, Jai- Alai Games, Major Horse Sales, Special Industry Events, Racing Related Programming
Up To 80 Simultaneous Channels (Varies Due To Track Racing Schedules)
Race Replays On Demand (Multi-Year Archive Library Of All Simulcast Races)(Look Up By Track, Date, Runner)
Race Replays Available As Soon As Possible After Each Race Is "Official"

(Live Packages Only)
Race Replays Available The Day After Each Race Is "Official"

(Race Replays Only)
Equibase Data (Entries, Scratches, Jockey/Driver Changes, Results)
Designed For PCs, Tablets, And Mobile Devices Including iPhone, iPad, Android Tablets, And Android Phones
A Must Have For Bettors, Breeders, Owners, Trainers, Jockeys, and Industry Employees
Live Simulcasts And Race Replays Available In This Package May Differ From Those Available In The TV Package

https://www.rtn.tv/images/rtnlogo.png

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2016, 12:00 PM
i don't know much about TV production, but isn't there something called a "hard break" where they must go to a commercial? TVG has done this many times throughout its existence.

I know major networks stay with live action, but maybe little guys like TVG don't have that kind of luxury...the start and end of races isn't something you can really schedule...

I don't think TVG would have cut away to commercial if they had an option...do you? Does anyone?

Donttellmeshowme
03-23-2016, 12:11 PM
Does Dish have the RTN channel?

SuperPickle
03-23-2016, 12:28 PM
So I think I have your answer or answers...

When TVG does deals they give high profile tracks preference to get the business. For example you'll notice they'll show a maiden claimer in SoCal even if it conflicts with say the running of a graded stake at a lower profile track. This isn't a producer who doesn't know racing its them obligated to a contract.

So one of your answers is certain tracks have contracted priority over others regardless of the value of the race.

The other issue is when they bought HRTV the inherited the deal where Stonarch tracks have priority. For example I've seen them go to Portland Meadows live over a live race at Parx.

So basically the crux of the issue is you have a large group (probably too large) of tracks that get priority. The summer when everyone runs is going to most likely be trainwreck. You'll probably see lots of higher quality races at second tier tracks take a back seat to smaller races at larger tracks.

Clearly Turf Paradise is the bottom of the barrel in terms of priority for them since they are a third rate track and are owned independently. Now I know someone is going to point out this race wasn't up against another more high profile track. Yes but the other issue is the have commercials that they are obligated to show. These commercials are probably contracted as a high priority for them than say Turf Paradise.

So my best another for you is certain tracks have priority arrangements with Tvg and most likely Turf Paradise is one of their lowest priority deals. Essentially they're only showing it because they run when there's little else on.

SandyW
03-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Does Dish have the RTN channel?

Yes this is the Dish TV Package:

$50 Per Month

Live Simulcast Feeds (Full Cards, Unedited, Uninterrupted)
Exact Same Simulcast Feeds As In Racetracks And Simulcast Outlets
Every Race From Every Simulcast Every Day
Every United States Simulcast And Select International Simulcasts Available. Largest Simulcast Menu Anywhere (Commercial Or Residential)
Coverage Includes Thoroughbred, Harness, Quarter Horse, Greyhound Racing, Jai- Alai Games, Major Horse Sales, Special Industry Events, Racing Related Programming
Up To 80 Simultaneous Channels (Varies Due To Track Racing Schedules)
Can Be Installed In Homes, Offices, Training Centers, Stables Areas, Horse Farms, Sports Bars, and Restaurants (Pricing Varies For Commercial Locations. Cannot be used in wagering locations)
A Must Have For Bettors, Breeders, Owners, Trainers, Jockeys, and Industry Employees
Available Only On DISH Network (DISH Subscription Policies Apply)(Ask For RTN When Ordering)

Stillriledup
03-23-2016, 12:56 PM

When TVG does deals they give high profile tracks preference to get the business. For example you'll notice they'll show a maiden claimer in SoCal even if it conflicts with say the running of a graded stake at a lower profile track. This isn't a producer who doesn't know racing its them obligated to a contract.

So one of your answers is certain tracks have contracted priority over others regardless of the value of the race.

The other issue is when they bought HRTV the inherited the deal where Stonarch tracks have priority. For example I've seen them go to Portland Meadows live over a live race at Parx.

So basically the crux of the issue is you have a large group (probably too large) of tracks that get priority. The summer when everyone runs is going to most likely be trainwreck. You'll probably see lots of higher quality races at second tier tracks take a back seat to smaller races at larger tracks.

Clearly Turf Paradise is the bottom of the barrel in terms of priority for them since they are a third rate track and are owned independently. Now I know someone is going to point out this race wasn't up against another more high profile track. Yes but the other issue is the have commercials that they are obligated to show. These commercials are probably contracted as a high priority for them than say Turf Paradise.

So my best another for you is certain tracks have priority arrangements with Tvg and most likely Turf Paradise is one of their lowest priority deals. Essentially they're only showing it because they run when there's little else on.

The OP also mentioned that they didnt show the results or replay. Also, a compulsive gambling ad? I guess they were all out of mesothelioma or prostate ads? :bang:

SuperPickle
03-23-2016, 01:07 PM
The OP also mentioned that they didnt show the results or replay. Also, a compulsive gambling ad? I guess they were all out of mesothelioma or prostate ads? :bang:

Like I said it's a low priority track for them. The larger issue I have is on weekends sometimes they only show the stretch runs of Turf Paradise. Personally I'd rather they nothing versus the last 200 yards.

There's a term in television production called "chasing." The reason the director most likely chose not to show the replay is he didn't want to chase it and have it screw up his format and actual live racing. Sometimes you just cut and run and move on.

Tom
03-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Translation: Their customers who watch TuP are low priority customers.

SandyW
03-23-2016, 02:04 PM
I guess having TVG not being as customer friendly as they should be, we should be thankful that at least we have something to watch, just remember back to what we were watching before TVG showed up on our TV's.

Tom
03-23-2016, 02:13 PM
I am never thankful for poor service.

I had HRTV before, and this TVG crap falls miserably short of their standards.
I just them as standing in the way of a real company concerned with racing getting started. If they go away, who knows what good could come from it.

Stillriledup
03-23-2016, 02:17 PM
I am never thankful for poor service.

I had HRTV before, and this TVG crap falls miserably short of their standards.
I just them as standing in the way of a real company concerned with racing getting started. If they go away, who knows what good could come from it.

So If there's a post parade on delay and an analyst lets you know the parade really took place 3 minutes and nine seconds ago, you think that's poor service :rolleyes: :D

Tom
03-23-2016, 02:51 PM
No, that is not a big deal.
Are you messing with me or just trying to get to 25,000 faster? :D

cj
03-23-2016, 03:28 PM
No, that is not a big deal.
Are you messing with me or just trying to get to 25,000 faster? :D

I think we all know the answer to that one.

ultracapper
03-23-2016, 06:39 PM
I've got my lawn chair out. I'm ready for the "25,000 Parade" down Main Street.

Zydeco
03-23-2016, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=ultracapper]I've got my lawn chair out. I'm ready for the "25,000 Parade" down Main Street.[/QUOT

In my lawn chair......with a small blanket....waiting for 25,00 to pass.

RunForTheRoses
03-23-2016, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=ultracapper]I've got my lawn chair out. I'm ready for the "25,000 Parade" down Main Street.[/QUOT

In my lawn chair......with a small blanket....waiting for 25,00 to pass.

You realize there's a dude with over 70K posts. That's a Joe D 56 in a row record.

thespaah
03-23-2016, 11:30 PM
Is there any alternative to TVG via cable/satellite TV? I just "cut" my Cox cable service, eliminating all phone and entertainment. I kept high speed internet, it's fast.

So I'm streaming everything now, using a Roku box, digital antenna for local stations, etc.

But I miss TVG, not necessarily the content of commentators, but I miss feeling "involved", just watching races one-be-one on Internet isn't the same....haven't found a streaming alternative to TVG.
Yes....Racing Television Network....rtn.tv
There is an on line version which has three options....
$10 per month is the harness only live streaming video and replays
$15 per month the user gets unlimited Thoroughbred and Harness replays
$25 per month gets you the whole ball of wax....
On the TV side.....
There is one option....$50 per month. A subscription to Dish is required.
Customers in the eastern third of the US must have an unobstructed view of the southwestern sky
Customers in the middle third must have a view to the south.
And in the western third of the US, an unobstructed view of the southeastern sky...
https://www.rtn.tv/
The basic package on Dish includes 120 channels. Both TVG channels are part of dish's AT 120 package. The rack rate is $39,99 per month.
With the RTN service, I highly recommend a DVR receiver. Preferably a Hopper 3 which is 16 tuners. Simply put, eye candy for the horse racing fan,....
FYI, I am tipping to the on line version. $25 is well worth it....
Remember...the URL is rtn.tv....NOT dot com......

thespaah
03-23-2016, 11:45 PM
i don't know much about TV production, but isn't there something called a "hard break" where they must go to a commercial? TVG has done this many times throughout its existence.

I know major networks stay with live action, but maybe little guys like TVG don't have that kind of luxury...the start and end of races isn't something you can really schedule...

I don't think TVG would have cut away to commercial if they had an option...do you? Does anyone?
Yep "hard breaks" are mandatory. They are set by the broadcaster's 'traffic dept'.
Management usually gets pretty pissed off if a hard break is late or missed.

Dmcwally
03-24-2016, 07:08 AM
Anyone here try streaming capital otb ?

onefast99
03-24-2016, 12:34 PM
They tell you 20x a day to download their app, they don't want you watching TVG they want you betting. The split screens are brutal they always have been and so is leaving a race where they are loading into the gate to show you Los Al where there is 17 minutes until post. But as many said, we would all be unhappy if there wasn't a place to watch the races other than our computers!

maliksealy210
03-24-2016, 03:31 PM
If you saw it go from the split screen to a full screen ad in a "rough" fashion it was likely your Satellite or Cable Provider who inserted that ad. Likely the TVG signal itself had the split screen going the entire commercial break, as they have made a permanent move to that format during live racing by all appearances.

theiman
03-24-2016, 07:02 PM
Perhaps the topic shouldnt be 'Who's "Running" TVG, but whose "Ruining" TVG? :confused:

egreen
03-24-2016, 07:19 PM
The hard breaks apply to networks that have affiliates or affiliates that must hit the network breaks. This doesn't apply to TVG. Full disclosure - I'm a master control operator.

barahona44
03-24-2016, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=Zydeco]

You realize there's a dude with over 70K posts. That's a Joe D 56 in a row record.
Nobody, and I mean nobody, will ever pass the Monkey Man.
I just pray I live to see the day he passes the 100,000 mark.It will probably be some pithy comment concerning Chelsea Clinton announcing her candidacy for President.

Southbaygent
03-25-2016, 01:27 AM
Thanks I'm looking at the RTN online options, may try a one day pass on a busy Saturday/Sunday to see if I like it. The annual $275 sounds like a good value based on the $25/monthly...one month free I guess...

Still saves me vs. my old cable bill. But in cutting cable out, it's easy to add up a bunch of small monthly online services I.e. Sling, Hulu, off air TV guide, etc.

KidCruz
03-25-2016, 01:54 AM

This is certainly correct and obvious but that doesn't excuse it being a top example of TVG's management/executives from being total dunces. Anyone with ANY background in business would have had this "deal" renegotiated instantly and a change made. The way they are operating now is a DETRIMENT to TVG, its betting platforms and Stronach.

Take today for example. The 4th at GG and the 9th at AQU were set to go off at the same time. They were both lowish level claimers so prestige doesn't play a role in how to handle this. But you would think at a place like TVG that money would. The 4th at GG had a total amount of pools being decided by the race of around $80,000. The 9th at AQU, on a small P6 carryover day, had total pools of over $800,000. By this metric, at least 91 percent of TVG's viewers, preferred to watch the Aqueduct finale. I doubt I need to tell you that they showed GG and then AQU on the delay with no discussion at all given to AQU whatsoever once SA and GG started their cards.

Any business owner that passed 6th grade would want to AVOID angering/eliminating 91 percent of their customers. It can only lead to people (like some in this thread) looking for other places to watch the races and bet. For them to decide to show Golden Gate over Aqueduct and showing 6250 claimers at Gulfstream over graded stakes at Oaklawn is an asinine business model that will gradually fail. I find it hard to believe that TVG is this short sighted and stupid but it has been a long time since they have proved that wrong.

Stillriledup
03-25-2016, 02:08 AM
This is certainly correct and obvious but that doesn't excuse it being a top example of TVG's management/executives from being total dunces. Anyone with ANY background in business would have had this "deal" renegotiated instantly and a change made. The way they are operating now is a DETRIMENT to TVG, its betting platforms and Stronach.

Take today for example. The 4th at GG and the 9th at AQU were set to go off at the same time. They were both lowish level claimers so prestige doesn't play a role in how to handle this. But you would think at a place like TVG that money would. The 4th at GG had a total amount of pools being decided by the race of around $80,000. The 9th at AQU, on a small P6 carryover day, had total pools of over $800,000. By this metric, at least 91 percent of TVG's viewers, preferred to watch the Aqueduct finale. I doubt I need to tell you that they showed GG and then AQU on the delay with no discussion at all given to AQU whatsoever once SA and GG started their cards.

Any business owner that passed 6th grade would want to AVOID angering/eliminating 91 percent of their customers. It can only lead to people (like some in this thread) looking for other places to watch the races and bet. For them to decide to show Golden Gate over Aqueduct and showing 6250 claimers at Gulfstream over graded stakes at Oaklawn is an asinine business model that will gradually fail. I find it hard to believe that TVG is this short sighted and stupid but it has been a long time since they have proved that wrong.

The silliest thing about it is that the GG race started before the Aqu race, so by cutting to that race, they defered to a race the public could no longer bet vs a race where the betting was still open. That's a botch by them, no two ways about it.

NY BRED
03-25-2016, 04:56 AM
perhaps going to your local track solves the problem?

Club Med, from my recollection, has no conflicts although
I do remember that several years ago they carried the TVG channel.

Any thoughts?

wisconsin
03-25-2016, 11:08 AM
The silliest thing about it is that the GG race started before the Aqu race, so by cutting to that race, they defered to a race the public could no longer bet vs a race where the betting was still open. That's a botch by them, no two ways about it.

Contracts, contracts, contracts. They are obligated to show the California races before any other.

duncan04
03-26-2016, 08:48 AM
Contracts, contracts, contracts. They are obligated to show the California races before any other.

You would think people would understand that by now. :bang:

Tom
03-26-2016, 03:36 PM
FG, R5.....screen says PT TVG.
So I look back to my computer, waiting for the race.
They go on and on about SA....so I turn to TVG2, it says on the screen, PT, TVG, so I turn back to TVG1. IT says on the screen PT, TVG2, so I go back to TVG2 and it says on the screen PT, TVG. So I go back to TVG2 and the races is half over.

Total MORONS.
They do this a LOT. Change statins with no verbal announcement.

So I am going to FG website and screw TVG. Enough amature hour broadcasting by idiots. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Stillriledup
03-26-2016, 04:09 PM

They showed gulf instead of SA race 2. They bumped SA and showed it on replay.