PDA

View Full Version : Cuban liberation movement just like American Revolution

davew
03-22-2016, 04:49 PM
from article ->

The Communist revolution that catapulted Fidel Castro and brother Raúl into power in Cuba was a "liberation movement" — just like the American Revolution, President Barack Obama said Tuesday during a speech in Havana.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/barack-obama-cuba-american-revolution-fidel-castro/2016/03/22/id/720352/

I guess that makes ISIS 'freedom fighters'.

boxcar
03-22-2016, 05:00 PM
from article ->

The Communist revolution that catapulted Fidel Castro and brother Raúl into power in Cuba was a "liberation movement" — just like the American Revolution, President Barack Obama said Tuesday during a speech in Havana.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/barack-obama-cuba-american-revolution-fidel-castro/2016/03/22/id/720352/

I guess that makes ISIS 'freedom fighters'.

At the very least!

Dave Schwartz
03-22-2016, 05:33 PM
Like the American Revolution.

I guess the president believes that, when in Rome, say what the Romans want to hear.

VigorsTheGrey
03-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Like the American Revolution.

I guess the president believes that, when in Rome, say what the Romans want to hear.

Is this a literal statement or do you mean it metaphorically...Although I have OFTEN wondered the real relationship of Rome and catholicism and communism...I don't see a contradiction between atheistic secular government and Roman religion....The former merely acts as a ugly foil to highlight the beauty of the other...the Church has always maintained a divide between the profane and the sacred, between the political and the religious...and yet behind the scenes there appears to be some sort of marriage at the hips in the interests of power and control....and so secular revolutions like the French, American, Russian, and Cuban are merely flip sides of a political/ religious coin or two heads of a single eagle....hence the political is the religious and vice versa....The American Revolution is no different....Behind the scenes, a religious element is lurking and bidding its time....

fast4522
03-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Fidel Castro and brother Raúl are both old as dirt, soon when in the ground their people will be able to urinate on them. Cuba has been falling apart badly of late, why we have a head of state there is counterproductive.

PhantomOnTour
03-22-2016, 07:14 PM
Levantate' Cubano !

Greyfox
03-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Batista was a horrible dictator who had strong ties with American mobsters .
The Cuban people arose en mass behind Castro's small army and overthrew the rotten to the core Batista regime.
It definitely was a people's revolution.

boxcar
03-22-2016, 07:46 PM
The Cuban people arose en mass behind Castro's small army and overthrew the rotten to the core Batista regime.

Yeah it was -- one that took them out of the fry pan and direct into the fire.

Rookies
03-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Yeah it was -- one that took them out of the fry pan and direct into the fire.

Fulgencino Batista, Cuba

What did he do? Suspended the 1940 Constitution and revoked most political liberties. Batista's increasingly corrupt and repressive government then began to systematically profit from the exploitation of Cuba's commercial interests, by negotiating lucrative relationships with the American mafia, who controlled the drug, gambling, and prostitution businesses in Havana, and with large US-based multinationals who were awarded lucrative contracts.[

To quell the growing discontent amongst the pop, he established tighter censorship of the media, while also utilizing his Bureau for the Repression of Communist Activities to carry out wide-scale violence, torture and public executions; ultimately killing anywhere from 1,000 to 20,000 people.

What did the U.S. do?
For several years until 1959, the Batista government received financial, military, and logistical support from the United States.

Quite, a frying pan!

Rookies
03-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Fidel Castro and brother Raúl are both old as dirt, soon when in the ground their people will be able to urinate on them. Cuba has been falling apart badly of late, why we have a head of state there is counterproductive.

What a troglodyte you are.

He's there to do something, which should have occurred decades ago. Do you not have the slightest clue that there are dozens of American corporations that want to invest in and make money in Cuba? Everything from Tourism to Cruiselines to Cigars & Baseball Players! Get with 2016!

Clocker
03-22-2016, 08:36 PM

He's there to do something, which should have occurred decades ago.

He doesn't have the authority to do what he is trying to do. If he wanted to "do the right thing", he could have started working with Congress about 7 years ago. Instead, he waits until he is a lame duck without a chance of getting this done properly. He is engaged in pure personal politics, trying to make his legacy in history.

boxcar
03-22-2016, 08:56 PM
Fulgencino Batista, Cuba

What did he do? Suspended the 1940 Constitution and revoked most political liberties. Batista's increasingly corrupt and repressive government then began to systematically profit from the exploitation of Cuba's commercial interests, by negotiating lucrative relationships with the American mafia, who controlled the drug, gambling, and prostitution businesses in Havana, and with large US-based multinationals who were awarded lucrative contracts.[

To quell the growing discontent amongst the pop, he established tighter censorship of the media, while also utilizing his Bureau for the Repression of Communist Activities to carry out wide-scale violence, torture and public executions; ultimately killing anywhere from 1,000 to 20,000 people.

What did the U.S. do?
For several years until 1959, the Batista government received financial, military, and logistical support from the United States.

Quite, a frying pan!

Yeah, I guess after the frying pan, things got so good in Cuba, that's why hundreds of thousands fled here and thousands more risked their lives or even lost them. I suppose all those political refugees thought communism was really hot stuff, heh? :rolleyes:

Tom
03-22-2016, 09:02 PM
Make no mistake - this is about his legacy and nothing else.
The Cuban people and the American people get nothing out of this.

Batista might have been the devil, but Castro proved to be no better.
I agree, people will line to water his grave. Rightfully so. A parade should be throw to celebrate the death of a despot. Castro will burn in Hell.

NJ Stinks
03-22-2016, 10:10 PM
He doesn't have the authority to do what he is trying to do. If he wanted to "do the right thing", he could have started working with Congress about 7 years ago. Instead, he waits until he is a lame duck without a chance of getting this done properly. He is engaged in pure personal politics, trying to make his legacy in history.

A realist you are not. Either that or you missed the last 7 years.

There was no "working with Congress" 7 years ago or 7 days ago. :rolleyes:

Tom
03-22-2016, 10:33 PM
There was no "working with Congress" 7 years ago or 7 days ago.

Who's fault was that?
Between his talking out of both sides of his mouth - mocking the GOP, putting them down, telling lies, and Dingy Harry refusing to bring bills up for a vote, the repubs finally said screw him. Rightfully so.

Stinky, as a LEADER, it was HIS job to find ways to get things done.
As a Jackass, he could not.

But, politics aside, do you honestly think he should be accepting a lecture on human rights a piece of dirt dictator in a 9th world shit hole of a country?
Do you really thing the USA needs advice from the toilet bowl of the western hemisphere?

I doubt many people HATE this POS as much as I do, and I celebrate the word HATE. And I am embarrassed for him, watching shuckin' and jivin. and looking like a total idiot and pansy-ass in the eyes of the world. The world is laughing at him.

Stillriledup
03-22-2016, 10:38 PM

Horrible dictator, pretty good baseball player.

JY5Mod0KZps

Clocker
03-23-2016, 01:13 AM

There was no "working with Congress" 7 years ago or 7 days ago. :rolleyes:

How about the reality of the law requiring Congressional approval for any change in Cuban relations? Or the absolute majority the Dems had in Congress at the start of the Obama administration 7 years ago?

NJ Stinks
03-23-2016, 01:20 AM
How about the reality of the law requiring Congressional approval for any change in Cuban relations? Or the absolute majority the Dems had in Congress at the start of the Obama administration 7 years ago?

In reality, one needs at least 60 Senators to have an "absolute majority".

Fager Fan
03-23-2016, 02:38 AM

He's there to do something, which should have occurred decades ago. Do you not have the slightest clue that there are dozens of American corporations that want to invest in and make money in Cuba? Everything from Tourism to Cruiselines to Cigars & Baseball Players! Get with 2016!

He's there for one reason - his bud Jay Z wants to party in Cuba.

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2016, 10:53 AM

There was no "working with Congress" 7 years ago or 7 days ago. :rolleyes:You could have fooled me...the Republican Congress has pretty cooperative with Obama...that's why a lot of people are voting for Trump despite the "establishment's" wishes...

Clocker
03-23-2016, 11:46 AM
In reality, one needs at least 60 Senators to have an "absolute majority".

The Democrats had 60 Senators early in Obama's first administration. ObamaCare could never have been passed without it.

But it is possible to get a lot down with a little bipartisan cooperation, which does happen lately.