PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping by owner??

cutchemist42
03-21-2016, 04:54 PM
ASD with their monthly contests has a promotion where if you win and list the reasoning for picking the horses, you get a free dinner and other stuff. Only have been two so far, but the last interested me as he was handicapping by owner.

I had never even thought of this, and wondered if anyone here does it or can speak to it? His reasoning is below:

http://www.assiniboiadowns.com/userfiles/files/525-chuck-whalen.pdf

EMD4ME
03-21-2016, 05:57 PM
ASD with their monthly contests has a promotion where if you win and list the reasoning for picking the horses, you get a free dinner and other stuff. Only have been two so far, but the last interested me as he was handicapping by owner.

I had never even thought of this, and wondered if anyone here does it or can speak to it? His reasoning is below:

http://www.assiniboiadowns.com/userfiles/files/525-chuck-whalen.pdf

I do incorporate "ownership" into my handicap when it's feasible.

1) If a trainer takes over a horse, I utlilize formulator to search First Time Trainer with this specific owner. Maybe an owner has been buying some stock in one circuit, shipping them elsewhere and is doing real well. I want to know early.

2) First time starters. I will check and see how this trainer does with this owner with FTS. Some owners might want a quick ROI. Some no.

3) Some trainers win 20%. 40% with 1 owner. 5% with the rest.....Fill in the rest.

Just some examples.

Stillriledup
03-21-2016, 06:42 PM
I do incorporate "ownership" into my handicap when it's feasible.

1) If a trainer takes over a horse, I utlilize formulator to search First Time Trainer with this specific owner. Maybe an owner has been buying some stock in one circuit, shipping them elsewhere and is doing real well. I want to know early.

2) First time starters. I will check and see how this trainer does with this owner with FTS. Some owners might want a quick ROI. Some no.

3) Some trainers win 20%. 40% with 1 owner. 5% with the rest.....Fill in the rest.

Just some examples.

Francis C Calabrese and Maggie Moss seem to win '92 pct' no matter who's on the program.

Capper Al
03-21-2016, 07:43 PM
I knew a guy that played with handicapping by owner. He could explain it better after the race.

WoxFan
03-21-2016, 07:56 PM
Some owners will hassle the trainers to run the horses back quickly as they are costing them $$. Others are patient and willing to allow a horse to get a couple of extra weeks of rest.
Some owners are also not willing to put over the extra $ to get all the vet work they need to be done.

Some owners are delusional: win two races in a row and its time for a stakes race.

outofthebox
03-21-2016, 07:57 PM
Michael Dubb and Midwest are two that move up trainer % that i've noticed.

Grits
03-21-2016, 08:15 PM
Catalano for Gary and Mary West.

NorCalGreg
03-21-2016, 08:35 PM
Catalano for Gary and Mary West.

The only owner/trainer handicapping info I ever saw, was Ed Bain's. Was of no interest unless the ROI, etc...was eye-popping. --(and that was almost exclusively due to small sample size)

Grits
03-21-2016, 08:51 PM
The only owner/trainer handicapping info I ever saw, was Ed Bain's. Was of no interest unless the ROI, etc...was eye-popping. --(and that was almost exclusively due to small sample size)

Saturday's race for this duo wasn't eye popping, to say the least, paying only $5.20. Still, this isn't always the case. Odds matter. Possible for exotics if there's a price horse for second, third.

Sorry, don't have a clue who Ed Bain is. A tout? :lol:

Donttellmeshowme
03-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Some owners will hassle the trainers to run the horses back quickly as they are costing them $$. Others are patient and willing to allow a horse to get a couple of extra weeks of rest.
Some owners are also not willing to put over the extra $ to get all the vet work they need to be done.

Some owners are delusional: win two races in a row and its time for a stakes race.

Post of the century........

horses4courses
03-21-2016, 10:01 PM
Post of the century........

Renews my faith in pari-mutuel wagering ;)

mountainman
03-21-2016, 11:32 PM
Probably more often then you realize, the listed owner not only calls shots, but does the training behind the scenes. This more often is the case at racing's lower echelons.

Clocker
03-21-2016, 11:50 PM
Sorry, don't have a clue who Ed Bain is. A tout? :lol:

At the risk of jumping to conclusions, no offense, I'm guessing you have been in the game long enough to know Mark Cramer. :p

Ed Bain is/was a handicapper and a writer and a buddy of Cramer. Cramer's publishing company, Altiplano Publications, also published Bain. Altiplano also published Susan Sweeney, who I think (brains don't fail me now) is Bain's wife.

And if you know Cramer's work, you know where those people are coming from.

http://www.altiplanopublications.com/index.html (http://www.altiplanopublications.com/index.html)

woodbinepmi
03-22-2016, 01:53 AM
Knew a guy a while back who had a list of about 5 or 6 trainers who had certain owners and if that would show up in the paddock, it was a go. First time he told me about it, I kind of scoffed at him. But, after a while I was very surprised on the results.

green80
03-22-2016, 03:01 PM
you must separate owners that are just in it for fun or a hobby from the owners that in in it as a business. A few owners could be trainers or are ex trainers and are in it to make a buck. You will see the same owners successful year after year whereas most come and go. I would factor one of these successful owners as I would a top trainer, some call the shots. Look at the owners earnings per start and you can get an idea of what kind of owner you have.

Grits
03-22-2016, 04:00 PM
At the risk of jumping to conclusions, no offense, I'm guessing you have been in the game long enough to know Mark Cramer. :p

I have. And have three of Cramer's books. Thank you, Clocker. ;)

classhandicapper
04-01-2016, 01:00 PM
I think trainer/owner combos are worth looking at in some areas.

ultracapper
04-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Knew a guy a while back who had a list of about 5 or 6 trainers who had certain owners and if that would show up in the paddock, it was a go. First time he told me about it, I kind of scoffed at him. But, after a while I was very surprised on the results.

Last spring I was tossed up on a race, and as the camera was going through the paddock, I saw the trainer Kathy Walsh in a very smart pant's suit and it looked as if her hair had just been done at the salon 3 hours before. I remember thinking she was PICTURE perfect. She got her picture taken 15 minutes later, and I cashed a ticket at the same time.

no breathalyzer
04-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Couple yrs ago at Hawthorne i seen an owner in a full blown suit for a Mdn race on a Thursday (which if you didn't know extremely real at this place) horse won nicely at 11-1

whodoyoulike
04-01-2016, 04:38 PM
The last couple of posts can only be appreciated if you're on track and at the paddock.

I can remember when a Marty & Pam Wygod horse was entered and this very nice looking woman (late teens or early twenty's) who I guessed was their daughter would show up always drop dead gorgeous and their horse usually won that race. The Wygod's had a very good stable and always had excellent trainers.

Milkshaker
04-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Fred Lipkin on the old-school (early 1990s) between-race handicapping segments at Penn used to be good about dropping in comments about so-and-so owner being in the paddock and wearing a sportcoat. It was good stuff and unique for the era; he didn't overstate the intent of the guy being there all dressed up; you had to sort of "listen between the lines."