PDA

View Full Version : Adam Laroche walks away from 13 million dollars

barahona44
03-20-2016, 09:44 AM
Veteran Chicago White Sox first baseman Adam Laroche has decided to retire from baseball and 13 million dollars for the 2016 season because the White Sox asked him to limit the amount of visits his teen age son Drake had been making to the team's locker room.Apparently Drake went on about half the teams road trips, almost every home game, participated in team drills and even had his own locker at the ballpark.
Now I admire LaRoche's efforts at being a family man, but this seemed a little excessive.Ball players have from October to mid February to be with their families and most are retired by age 40 or earlier.13 mil is a lot of scratch to walk away from but apparently he is standing by his principles
http://desdspin.com/it-looks-like-a-bunch-of-white-sox-players-had-a-proble-1765924819

Robert Fischer
03-20-2016, 12:02 PM
When you have an OPS of .634, you don't get to change the clubhouse dynamic.

Stillriledup
03-20-2016, 12:21 PM
I'd bet that some teammates whispered in the ear of Kenny or Jerry and were like 'enough'.

It's hard to side w The player here.

rastajenk
03-20-2016, 12:37 PM
That kid seems old enough to process a thought like, "Gee, Dad, that's a lot of money. Go ahead and take it, I'll be all right" with fewer appearances. I wonder if he was given a chance to do so.

Stillriledup
03-20-2016, 12:39 PM
That kid seems old enough to process a thought like, "Gee, Dad, that's a lot of money. Go ahead and take it, I'll be all right" with fewer appearances. I wonder if he was given a chance to do so.

Seems like there's more to the story.

barahona44
03-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Sorry, I gummed up the link when I was editing.

http://deadspin.com/it-looks-like-a-bunch-of-white-sox-players-had-a-proble-1765924819

MutuelClerk
03-20-2016, 08:41 PM
Peter Gent said it best. Every time I call it a game you call it a business. And every time I call it a business you call it a game.

NJ Stinks
03-20-2016, 10:12 PM
Who can bring their kids to work with them everyday? :confused:

Not anybody I know. :rolleyes:

Valuist
03-20-2016, 10:34 PM

I was thinking the same thing. The media, being brain dead, said, "aw, he's a good dad". No he isn't. He's a selfish, entitled brat, used to getting his way ever since he grew up with a dad who was a major league pitcher.

The kid SHOULD'VE said, "I didn't mean to interfere; I'll stay out of the clubhouse".

horses4courses
03-20-2016, 10:35 PM

Agreed.
Plus, you can get some pretty exceptional child care with his income.
No sympathy for Dad from here..... :ThmbDown:

At the same time, there could be more to the story.
Both in the clubhouse, and his family life.

thaskalos
03-21-2016, 12:20 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to call what the White Sox do, "Work".

Valuist
03-21-2016, 12:25 AM
There's an old Chinese proverb:

He who hits .208 cannot determine his own fate.