PDA

View Full Version : SA:Irish O'Brien 3/19

SandyW
03-19-2016, 11:15 PM
Can somebody explain to me why no DQ of the #3 horse when he surely came over and interfered with and took away the #5 horse path in the stretch.
The stewards flash the inquiry sign immediately.
Kent Desormeaux, who rode Velvet Mesquite, said he was “going to clip heels” if he didn’t check Velvet Mesquite when Smoove It came over.
Is it just that Doug O'Neil is getting more favorable treatment then a lesser known trainer Black Heap.

SG4
03-19-2016, 11:37 PM
Maybe this falls in the no runner was caused a worse placing scenario, as the eventually winner looked to be blowing by the runner-up at this point and the winning margin was quite substantial. Didn't think for a second there would be a DQ based on the replays & final result.

Stillriledup
03-20-2016, 12:07 AM
Didnt affect the outcome, California isn't a 'foul is a foul' state. (Thank god)

SuperPickle
03-20-2016, 01:11 AM
Didnt affect the outcome, California isn't a 'foul is a foul' state. (Thank god)

SRU is right. The :3: beats the :5: 1005 of the time. However the million dollar question is if the :5: ran 3rd what would they have done?

Stillriledup
03-20-2016, 02:11 AM
SRU is right. The :3: beats the :5: 1005 of the time. However the million dollar question is if the :5: ran 3rd what would they have done?

This is the biggest problem with the cost a placing rule, you raise a great question, and I believe that the "letter of the law" would see a DQ In that spot if the 2nd horse finishes 3rd.

If I was a judge my rule would be that no horse who is running in cement and checks up slightly is going to get rewarded in that spot, the only reason the kent horse steadied briefly is Because she was too slow to keep up with the winner. That happens all the time where a horse will run past another horse and lug in, of that runner sees a horse on his or her left they won't lug in, but once they 'clear' they shift towards the clear or 'blind spot'.

I've always advocated DQless betting pools which would give gamblers the option of getting paid off as the results hit, and a separate pool where you can have judging. Personally I would love to sign up for the pay the winner pool, Ill live with getting bumped and turn the page if I can always get paid when I actually win.