PDA

View Full Version : Pocahontas

Martino
03-19-2016, 04:41 PM
I've read and researched that the last 4 derby winners all traced back to Pocahontas in x passing position through the broodmare. Looks like same position way back to 1837 in all 4. Not sure how much significance, however she is known to pass along the large heart trait from what I understand.

SecretAgentMan
03-19-2016, 05:11 PM
I've read and researched that the last 4 derby winners all traced back to Pocahontas in x passing position through the broodmare. Looks like same position way back to 1837 in all 4. Not sure how much significance, however she is known to pass along the large heart trait from what I understand.

Do you have any idea which horses have it this year?

Martino
03-19-2016, 05:50 PM
I haven't looked at every horse but so far I found Smokey Image and a horse called Metab, who is running in the rebel tonight.

SecretAgentMan
03-19-2016, 05:55 PM
I haven't looked at every horse but so far I found Smokey Image and a horse called Metab, who is running in the rebel tonight.

I'm confident in saying Smokey won't do anything is he gets in the KD. Thanks in advance for looking up all the horses.

Martino
03-19-2016, 06:13 PM
Yes I agree about smokey. Just something to keep an eye on though. As the field narrows, I'll research and post my findings.

Martino
04-17-2016, 12:05 PM
Just an update on the Pocahontas angle. I have found one horse that fits the bill that's in the derby field. My Man Sam. I think he warrants a legitimate look. The last 4 winners of the derby all had Pocahontas dating back to 1837 through their broodmare. If you look on pedigree query, you would look at Arch (male) on the female side. From there, you to female, male to female and so until the year 1837. You will see that it traces back to Pocahontas. In addition, In Sams female half, he traces to Courtly Dee and Betty Derr, which have been strong derby influences that are rare in the pedigree. I'll have another and Chrome both had Pocahontas and Courtly Dee in bottom half of their pedigree. Lastly, this horse fits Stan's final fraction indicator. Hopefully, I'm sharing some useful for everyone to consider. Maybe Stan can weigh in on the pedigree side. Good luck everyone.

f2tornado
04-17-2016, 12:24 PM
Not familar with this angle. I do see Pocahontas more than once in the tail female side of MMS. This leads to Cherokee Rose (1910) which you will find in tail of Fusaichi Pegasus, Pine Bluff, Jaipur, and Ruffian (and on Stanley's list of "conduit mares". MMS is definitely one of my upset plays.

Cinderella (http://www.pedigreequery.com/cinderella)
Belle Rose (http://www.pedigreequery.com/belle+rose2)

SecretAgentMan
04-17-2016, 12:36 PM
MMSS is definitely in my exotics. Will even put him on top on several tickets.

Martino
04-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info. I was strictly referring to Pocahontas through the broodmare DATING BACK TO 1837 . I guess it's not so much and ANGLE as stans research goes back many more years. It's more something I stumbled upon while researching broodmares in the derby. If Sam wins it would make it 5 years in a row.