PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for news sources on internet

highnote
03-15-2016, 01:06 AM
What are some good sources on the internet for news?

Yahoo and Huffington Post have been my main sources of news, but I have always been disappointed in their lack of in-depth coverage, liberal bias and sensationalized headlines.

I do like Yahoo Sports and Finance.

Huff Post's main headline usually has links to good political articles, but the rest of their links are topics I have no interest in.

I disallow cookies for almost every site I visit. So that means I don't read the NY Times because unless cookies are enabled their articles cannot be viewed online.

CNN's website is OK, but their layout is kind of crappy. Every time I visit their site they ask me to accept their Privacy Policy and TOS -- probably because I have cookies disabled.

Advertisements don't bother me, but I don't like trading my personal information for news that is already being paid for by sponsors.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Stillriledup
03-15-2016, 01:24 AM
A little tmz-Ish but lots of stories.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

Clocker
03-15-2016, 01:26 AM
Here's some:

http://benweingarten.com/2015/08/99-things-worth-reading-every-day-if-you-possibly-could/

incoming
03-15-2016, 02:12 AM
Here's some:

http://benweingarten.com/2015/08/99-things-worth-reading-every-day-if-you-possibly-could/

Thanks Clocker...a very comprehensive list :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

highnote
03-15-2016, 03:17 AM
Here's some:

That is a good list. The names I recognize seem to be tilted to the conservative side, but that's OK. I like to know about the views from the right and from the left.

I was listening to public radio on my way home from work today and caught an interview with a journalist named Jeffrey Goldberg who had written an in-depth piece in "The Atlantic" about The Obama Doctrine.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-obama-doctrine/471525/

It's pretty interesting article. He praises Obama, but also is critical.

It looks like "The Atlantic" has some other interesting articles too about Trump.

boxcar
03-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Here's some:

What the heck kind of a list is that!? Didn't have the Washington Post on there, the N.Y. Slimes, the Chicago Tribune, the LA Times, etc., etc. I mean it should have listed these as being prominent and preeminent sources of lies, distortions, cover-ups and leftist propaganda. They're all worthy of being read just for their shock value, if nothing else. :p

Inner Dirt
03-15-2016, 10:10 AM
What the heck kind of a list is that!? Didn't have the Washington Post on there, the N.Y. Slimes, the Chicago Tribune, the LA Times, etc., etc. I mean it should have listed these as being prominent and preeminent sources of lies, distortions, cover-ups and leftist propaganda. They're all worthy of being read just for their shock value, if nothing else. :p

That seems to be spreading like cancer over the media these days. What I find shocking is when a sports media conglomerate like ESPN has a huge liberal agenda. Their last 3 Arthur Ashe courage awards have went to a lesbian, a gay guy, and a he-she. Anyone making right wing comments gets fired or suspended, while left wing speak is promoted. Politics should have no place in sports coverage, when I listen to sports talk radio I don't want to hear political views even if I agree with them. Dan Lebatard who I will no longer listen to on ESPN radio spews left wing crap constantly, if he uttered anything right wing he would probably be fired on the spot.

highnote
03-15-2016, 02:39 PM
That seems to be spreading like cancer over the media these days. What I find shocking is when a sports media conglomerate like ESPN has a huge liberal agenda. Their last 3 Arthur Ashe courage awards have went to a lesbian, a gay guy, and a he-she. Anyone making right wing comments gets fired or suspended, while left wing speak is promoted. Politics should have no place in sports coverage, when I listen to sports talk radio I don't want to hear political views even if I agree with them. Dan Lebatard who I will no longer listen to on ESPN radio spews left wing crap constantly, if he uttered anything right wing he would probably be fired on the spot.

First of all, the networks have to cater to their viewers. It does not make financial sense to express a right wing opinion if the majority of the viewers of left wing.

Fox news has a lot of right wing commentators. That is their base. They are not going to try to appeal to a left wing audience because that market is already being served.

Why do you think Michael Strahan was hired to be a morning TV host -- because he is a brilliant commentator? Of course not. He was hired to try to appeal to a black, stay-at-home-mom morning-TV-watching audience. Presumably, his co-host appeals to the white, stay-at-home morning-TV-watching audience.

It's all about the money. More viewers equals higher advertising rates which translates into more revenue.

Remember, these commentators are also entertainers. Sometimes they don't even believe what they say. They say what they think will bring in the most viewers/listeners; and therefore, more advertising revenue and a higher salary for them and their bosses.

Inner Dirt
03-15-2016, 02:58 PM
First of all, the networks have to cater to their viewers. It does not make financial sense to express a right wing opinion if the majority of the viewers of left wing.

Fox news has a lot of right wing commentators. That is their base. They are not going to try to appeal to a left wing audience because that market is already being served.

Why do you think Michael Strahan was hired to be a morning TV host -- because he is a brilliant commentator? Of course not. He was hired to try to appeal to a black, stay-at-home-mom morning-TV-watching audience. Presumably, his co-host appeals to the white, stay-at-home morning-TV-watching audience.

It's all about the money. More viewers equals higher advertising rates which translates into more revenue.

Remember, these commentators are also entertainers. Sometimes they don't even believe what they say. They say what they think will bring in the most viewers/listeners; and therefore, more advertising revenue and a higher salary for them and their bosses.

I was talking about ESPN, so are you claiming the majority of people who watch and listen to sports are left wing? You say the media caters to their audience. I think ESPN tries to balance ratings while pushing their left wing crap. I don't know any hardcore sports fan that thought Jenner deserved a courage award. Most sports fans I know don't want a commentator spewing political crap during a broadcast, who gives a crap what Phil Simms thinks
about the nickname "Redskin" or that Bob Costas wants more gun laws.

highnote
03-15-2016, 03:31 PM
I was talking about ESPN, so are you claiming the majority of people who watch and listen to sports are left wing?

No. That is not what I'm claiming, but now that I think about it, there might be more liberal people than conservative people who watch sports because there might be more liberals in the U.S. than conservatives.

You say the media caters to their audience.

This is what I am claiming.

I think ESPN tries to balance ratings while pushing their left wing crap. I don't know any hardcore sports fan that thought Jenner deserved a courage award.

My point exactly. Ratings. Ratings. Ratings. ESPN caters more to their larger liberal audience than their smaller conservative one. Do you think Fox Sports would have given the award to Jenner? If the Christian Broadcasting Network gave out sports awards I doubt they would have given Jenner a courage award.

It's all about the money and the larger the demographic that watches the more they cater to that demographic.

ESPN knows they aren't going to lose many conservative viewers over giving an award to Jenner, but they might pick up a lot of liberal viewers by giving the award to Jenner.

highnote
03-17-2016, 03:44 AM
Found links to all of the following at the bottom of Huffington Post dot com:

ABC
Access Hollywood
Al Jazeera
Associated Press
The Atlantic
BBC
Bloomberg
Boston Globe
Business Insider