PDA

View Full Version : California whip rule and the DQ

ronsmac
03-14-2016, 11:45 AM
Does anyone think eventually they'll start DQ'ing horses for whip violations? I'd think an owner or trainer might use that as an excuse to file an appeal if his horse loses by a nose to a horse who's rider was fined for excessive whipping . Some might think it's an unfair advantage to those that don't abuse the rule.

v j stauffer
03-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Does anyone think eventually they'll start DQ'ing horses for whip violations? I'd think an owner or trainer might use that as an excuse to file an appeal if his horse loses by a nose to a horse who's rider was fined for excessive whipping . Some might think it's an unfair advantage to those that don't abuse the rule.

Very very unlikely. It's taken them 3 years working with the Jockey's Guild to get to where they are.

Stillriledup
03-14-2016, 01:31 PM
So the the 3-5 shot in SA derby w millions in the pools trained by Baffert has a 7 length lead and ducks a bit right at the wire and the jock smacks him to 'correct' him, so you place him last? Or do you DQ some horses for whip infractions and leave others alone? I'm sure that would go over well w the 40,000 in attendance on SA derby day. Ladies and gentlemen the winner will be placed LAST! :D

HalvOnHorseracing
03-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Never happen. The fine and/or days is plenty of punishment. I'd spend no time at all worrying about that question. For every trainer or owner that might file an appeal there is one on the other side, and that owner/trainer will not just let the chips fall where they may. The Golden Rule applies - do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

v j stauffer
03-14-2016, 07:06 PM
So the the 3-5 shot in SA derby w millions in the pools trained by Baffert has a 7 length lead and ducks a bit right at the wire and the jock smacks him to 'correct' him, so you place him last? Or do you DQ some horses for whip infractions and leave others alone? I'm sure that would go over well w the 40,000 in attendance on SA derby day. Ladies and gentlemen the winner will be placed LAST! :D

READ THE ****ING RULE

ronsmac
03-14-2016, 07:57 PM
Very very unlikely. It's taken them 3 years working with the Jockey's Guild to get to where they are. That near triple dead heat is what made me think of this. A horses loses by an inch in a million dollar race with his jock abiding by the rule while jock B whips likes a mad man gets up by an inch and pays the fine while collecting the winners share of the million dollar purse. I know I'd be pissed if I was the losing owner. That's if you believe whipping helps the horse.

Stillriledup
03-14-2016, 08:03 PM
READ THE ****ING RULE

Is Steph Curry playing tonight?

EMD4ME
03-14-2016, 08:12 PM

Classic!!!!!!!

EMD4ME
03-14-2016, 08:13 PM

Iguodala a game time decision as well ;)

v j stauffer
03-14-2016, 09:53 PM
That near triple dead heat is what made me think of this. A horses loses by an inch in a million dollar race with his jock abiding by the rule while jock B whips likes a mad man gets up by an inch and pays the fine while collecting the winners share of the million dollar purse. I know I'd be pissed if I was the losing owner. That's if you believe whipping helps the horse.

That very thing was talked about. To be very honest. Some of the elite guys said they probably, in the heat of battle, would blow off the rule and face the consequences afterward.

Part of me couldn't blame them.

thespaah
03-14-2016, 11:03 PM
READ THE ****ING RULE
I googled "chrb whipping rule" and it gave me this....

Rule No. Rule Title
1734 Whipping.
Rule Text No driver shall use unreasonable or unnecessary force in the whipping of a horse, nor whip anyhorse causing visible injury, nor whip any horse about the head, nor whip any horse after thefinish line has been crossed except when necessary to control the horse. NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 19420 and 19440, Business and Professions Code. Reference:Section 19563, Business and Professions Code. HISTORY: 1. Amendment filed 2-8-93; effective 3-10-93.
I guess I looked in the wrong place....
Wanna help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?.....

johnhannibalsmith
03-14-2016, 11:40 PM
(a) In all races where a jockey will not ride with a riding crop, an announcement shall be made over the public address system of such fact. (b) Although the use of a riding crop is not required, any jockey who uses a riding crop during a race is prohibited from using a riding crop on a horse: (1) on the head, flanks, or on any parts of its body other than the shoulders or hind quarters; (2) during the post parade except when necessary to control the horse; (3) excessively or brutally causing welts or breaks in the skin; (4) when the horse is clearly out of the race or has obtained its maximum placing; (5) persistently even though the horse is showing no response under the riding crop; or (6) more than three times in succession without giving the horse a chance to respond before using the riding crop again. (c) Correct uses of the riding crop are: (1) showing horses the riding crop before hitting them; (2) using the riding crop in rhythm with the horse's stride; and (3) using the riding crop as an aid to maintain a horse running straight. NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 19420, 19440 and 19562, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 19440, 19481 and 19562, Business and Professions Code. HISTORY: 1. Amendment filed 6-4-93; effective 7-5-93. 2. Amendment filed 12-23-96; effective 1-22-97. 3. Amendment filed 3-2-15; effective 7-1-15.

It is amended rule 1688 if you want to search for it.