PDA

View Full Version : Curious All-Ways question...

PaceAdvantage
01-27-2002, 12:11 PM
Just notcied on the BRIS website that the new All-Ways version 9.0 will support BRIS custom card options. And you will be able to filter the races you want to download (through custom card) by RACE SHAPE, which is very interesting.

All-Ways also has a section on their website where fellow users can share their handicapping setups for different tracks.

My question is this: are there any All-Ways users out there who frequent this board....and if so, what has been your experience with the software (and its very expensive data files)...and what has been your experience with the sharing of track profiles on the All-Ways website (is it worthwhile??)

Thanks,

==PA

JimG
01-27-2002, 01:34 PM
Hi PA...

As the resident software junkie, I have used All-Ways and if the data files were not so damn expensive, it would probably be my software of choice due to features coupled with ease of use. However, due to the pricing, you cannot cherrypick certain tracks.

With respect to custom card, if you are a Gold user the files cost $20 for a day for up to 20 races at tracks of your choice. This is handy if you like to play certain race shapes, or all turf races, all stakes, etc. Still quite pricey though.

Downloading user profiles from the All-Ways site is very handy if you are playing a track you don't normally play. Using user-created profiles should lead to better handicapping than the default settings. I do wish they updated the user profiles more often as in my opinion recent is better.

I know Mike H used to use the software. Kinda weird, I think it is a very popular program but has no bulletin board on the net. I was told by the developers that they could not create a user board per their contract with Bris. Guess Bloodstock is worried about users knowing one another and sharing files.

Hope this long winded response helped. If you have anything more specific, just ask.

Jim

PaceAdvantage
01-27-2002, 02:24 PM
But I thought users shared files on the All-Ways site?? Are there more files to share than just the profiles that are available for d/l on the All-Ways site?

In any event, it is weird that nobody here every writes about using All-Ways. I tried the free version from BRIS for a little while, and liked it somewhat....

Any other All-Ways users out there??

==PA

JimG
01-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Guess I wasn't clear. The sharing on the Frandsen site are user profiles that the user made from their personal database. They are small files but direct the impact value All-Ways uses to handicap a race.

The files I was talking about Bris frowning upon someone sharing would be the downloads from Brisnet.

I too have found it odd that nobody on this board speaks to using the software on a regular basis, given my perception that it is popular based on seeing users at the track with printed reports, and the full page ads each month in American Turf Monthly.

Jim

PaceAdvantage
01-27-2002, 04:06 PM
Wasn't even thinking about the sharing of the BRIS downloads...wonder why BRIS would restrict a message board for fear of something like that. I would have to think that a message board would have little impact on that kind of piracy, but maybe I'm wrong....

==PA

JimG
01-27-2002, 04:16 PM
I am sure Bris figures that a board would bring active users together and that those that are dishonest would try to share Brisnet files.

Personally, I think that would be offset by an increase in users due to the board....but what do I know?

Jim

Trijack
01-27-2002, 08:51 PM
I have been using Bris products for about seven years. I have tried all of them and I have hit a lot of big tri's with all of them. I really like Always best because it saves me a lot of time in the way I bet tri's.

I started using the free Always version about 3 years ago and was very happy with it. About a year ago a fellow posted on this board that he would like to sell his Professional Edition of Always. I contacted him and in July I purchased it from him. I prefer California tracks and I have been building up my data base so that when us Californians get to bet on the net I would be ready. Well it finally has happened. I prefer to bet over the internet and only play one track at a time.

I like to focus on class along with speed and form, not always going along with the top pick. I think Always does a great job of having the winner in the top four picks and since I play tri's with 3 on top most of the time, it works good for me. Sure the files are expensive but since I won't go to the track to bet it is a bargain. My motto is "one has to spend money to make money" so why be cheap.

In todays races at Santa Anita, Always had the winner in the 4 top picks in each race. Saturday, had 7 of 9 in the top four and this was with my own profiles. This is why I bet tri's with 3 horses on top most of the time, I have my rules for elminating horses from their top picks .

I am sure that other programs probable do the same but I have been using Always so long that I don't want to do all that hard work learning another program. And by the way one has to put in a lot of hours on these programs if they want to learn all about them. This is not a easy business. I would never knock another software program like some one did on another thread on this board but from my own experience I would give Always a big AA+.. It works for me.

Tom
02-02-2002, 08:53 PM
I downloaded the free version tonight and gave it a look.
Pretty impressive package. Lots of information in it and looks like it is pretty easy to use. The big drawback is the price per card for a single track. Prohibitive to me, but may be worth using on a limited basis. Once FL opens in April, I won't be looking at any other track until December. I have totally given up on internet race-watching and will no longer put up with it. I'll learn to live with crapiest track in the world and sit in the stands with the locals. So using a one-track program is probably in my best interest. If you look at it like paying $5 for a DRF to play one track, then the $8 is a lot easier to swallow.
I really like the Brohammer Plus report and the Pace past performance report. Don't care much about the database function, I have had my fill of databases and the drudge of keeping them up to date. But it there if anyone wants to use it. No more for me. One track, one program, one day.

This one look really interesting - and it has a 194 page manual!
Try the website frandsen.com any read some newsletters-worth a trip.

Tom

JimG
02-02-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Tom
I have totally given up on internet race-watching and will no longer put up with it. I'll learn to live with crapiest track in the world and sit in the stands with the locals. So using a one-track program is probably in my best interest. If you look at it like paying $5 for a DRF to play one track, then the $8 is a lot easier to swallow.
I
Tom

Tom: Funny you are giving up on internet race watching at the same time I am starting it. I just wish there were more broadband signals so I could take advantage of my cable modem.

Thought you were using HTR? With respect to All-Ways it is a good program, always has been. Those downloads are pricey, however if you play everyday and become a gold member ($100 min,) and bet $2 per month on brisbet, you get the price down to 5.60 a card. As you have noted with a $30 month minimum it is $8 per card.

Why are you giving up on internet betting? Do you have broadband or 56K? If 56k, I understand why.

Jim

Tom
02-02-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by JimG

Why are you giving up on internet betting? Do you have broadband or 56K? If 56k, I understand why.

Jim

I have Road Runner cable modem and it is absolutely worthless when it comes to racing video. I have had YouBet for over two years and NEVER had a good day with it. Never been able to watch a full race card, and nowadays, I can't even watch a single race. Used to get some good signals from track webpages but even those are horrendus now. I can only guess that the internet is a regional thing-if you live in certain areas it is ok, but where I live, it is a royal pain,and I am fed up putting up with it. I wish there was a site that would offer only the audio portion-maybe the net could handle that, but I doubt it. Maybe it is the fact that I use Windows, which to me is nothing more than a beta operating system, totally unstable and totally undeveloped. Whatever, I no longer will put up with the aggravation. I am tired of dealiing with idiot tech help that bascially know nothing, if they ever get around to answering the phones. I do use HTR, but no sense in continuing to use it if I don't bet over the net. I will stop my subscription at the end of this month. It is not a program you can really use if you go to track-there is no way you can ever get scratches early enough in the day to re-handicap the races, print them out and then drive to the track. Besides, FL only offers a handful of tracks on thier simulcast menu. I think this game is going backwards instead of forward. It is just no fun anymore.

Tom :(