PDA

View Full Version : SA Turf Closure and alternative

sharkie187
03-13-2016, 05:58 AM
Someone clear this for me because I'm hoping this isn't true. With all the problems that the SA turf has experience, I heard on the radio (Thoroughbreed LA) that SA is going to replace their turf course sometime in April (with the idea of it being ready for the BC) and is not going to offer turf racing at all for several months? Additionally, if trainers/owners want to race on turf, SA will cover the cost to ship their horses up north to GGF/Santa Rosa? Therefore, there won't be any turf tacing until the Del Mar meet in July?

Lemon Drop Husker
03-13-2016, 06:03 AM
They have basically cancelled anything on turf for the past 3 weeks.

The "hill" has been really covered.

I don't see the problem. Obviously they need new turf. Get it done.

Psychotic Parakeet
03-13-2016, 11:34 AM
The ground is really retaining water so it becomes a bog, and this is after they supposedly modified the course to handle rain. The ground is apparently the worst near the dirt crossover. Hasn't helped we had three "quick" storms within a week that dumped a lot of rain in a short time span either.

The other big issue is that there is some sort of type of grass fungus growing too.

theiman
03-13-2016, 01:18 PM
From a SA Press Release

Beginning June 6, preparations will begin on the hillside portion of the course, with the turf oval scheduled for closure beginning June 20. The first course of action will be to remove the existing turf and prepare the soil for the installation of the fully mature Bermuda, which has been grown in La Quinta, Calif.

With Santa Anita’s current Winter Meet drawing to a close on April 10, turf racing in California will shift to Golden Gate Fields as they conduct their 75th anniversary Turf Festival, which will run from April 14 through May 1. Turf Festival purses will be increased and horsemen will be offered complementary vanning between Santa Anita and Golden Gate.

http://www.santaanita.com/press-releases/santa-anita-park-to-begin-installation-of-new-bermuda-turf-course-on-june-20-for-fall-racing/#.VuWgO5wrLIU

Roughly there will be no turf racing in California from June 20 th until DM opens in mid July, either 3 or 4 weeks. GG usually closes in mid June when they go to the fair circuit up north. Santa Rosa doesnt open until later in July thru August. No Downhill racing from June 6th until they come back in late September.

Tom
03-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Just like that, "dreams" are dashed for the summer.

dilanesp
03-15-2016, 08:29 PM
From a SA Press Release

Beginning June 6, preparations will begin on the hillside portion of the course, with the turf oval scheduled for closure beginning June 20. The first course of action will be to remove the existing turf and prepare the soil for the installation of the fully mature Bermuda, which has been grown in La Quinta, Calif.

With Santa Anita’s current Winter Meet drawing to a close on April 10, turf racing in California will shift to Golden Gate Fields as they conduct their 75th anniversary Turf Festival, which will run from April 14 through May 1. Turf Festival purses will be increased and horsemen will be offered complementary vanning between Santa Anita and Golden Gate.

http://www.santaanita.com/press-releases/santa-anita-park-to-begin-installation-of-new-bermuda-turf-course-on-june-20-for-fall-racing/#.VuWgO5wrLIU

Roughly there will be no turf racing in California from June 20 th until DM opens in mid July, either 3 or 4 weeks. GG usually closes in mid June when they go to the fair circuit up north. Santa Rosa doesnt open until later in July thru August. No Downhill racing from June 6th until they come back in late September.

That's actually really good news for Golden Gate. I hope they get some good horses up there.