ldiatone
03-12-2016, 05:50 PM
ok guys what is this by the water

Stillriledup
03-12-2016, 05:53 PM
The Jamie ness monster :D :confused:

Frost king
03-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Looks like a memorial cross. Maybe somebody drowned in that spot.

ultracapper
03-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Sniper on the grassy knoll

EMD4ME
03-12-2016, 06:01 PM
ok guys what is this by the water

It's a cross, memorating the money I lost in my 2nd home. (from 2002-2008) :lol: :lol: :lol:

azeri98
03-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Its a memorial for bridge jumpers who lose on 1-5 shots. :)

chenoa
03-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Didn't some horse jump in there a couple years back and some dude had to strip down to his gonch and jump in for the rescue.

ldiatone
03-12-2016, 11:22 PM
Didn't some horse jump in there a couple years back and some dude had to strip down to his gonch and jump in for the rescue.
i remember that :lol:

ldiatone
03-12-2016, 11:23 PM
Mr. Pa admin. this thread could be moved to the "humor" thread later :rolleyes:

TBD
03-12-2016, 11:52 PM
Idiatone, I will be out there tomorrow and will take a look. If it is a memorial I will ask about it. Yes chenoa. In Feb 2011, during a MSW, Shipping News "was rank early, brushed the rail after six furlongs was pulled up and collapsed from apparent heat prostration. He was revived and regained his footing at which point he wheeled to the inside and broke through the inner rail. He proceeded to break through the inner rail two other times, going on the back off the course. He then moved to and jumped into the infield lake". He was rescued by the gate crew. He was healed and retired. On the high side of the story, in Feb 2014 he was adopted from TROT. The video of the incident is on You Tube.

Dave Schwartz
03-13-2016, 12:51 AM
Aside from the true part of the story, the rest of you guys are hilarious.

:lol: :lol:

ldiatone
03-13-2016, 01:20 PM
Idiatone, I will be out there tomorrow and will take a look. If it is a memorial I will ask about it. Yes chenoa. In Feb 2011, during a MSW, Shipping News "was rank early, brushed the rail after six furlongs was pulled up and collapsed from apparent heat prostration. He was revived and regained his footing at which point he wheeled to the inside and broke through the inner rail. He proceeded to break through the inner rail two other times, going on the back off the course. He then moved to and jumped into the infield lake". He was rescued by the gate crew. He was healed and retired. On the high side of the story, in Feb 2014 he was adopted from TROT. The video of the incident is on You Tube.
Thanks cool!

barahona44
03-13-2016, 01:29 PM
Actually, why do race tracks have infield lakes?

green80
03-13-2016, 02:31 PM

Delta has one to keep the alligators off the track

Tom
03-13-2016, 04:39 PM

For the boat races.

theiman
03-13-2016, 05:02 PM

Freehold put an infield lake in after the track burned down. They couldnt get an adequate source to fight the fire, thus added a lake. I think that was back in the 70's or 80's.

jballscalls
03-13-2016, 07:51 PM
Back in 2007 at River Downs a horse named Two Step Partner shied from the whip, jumped the hedge, ran about 200 yards and jumped straight into the infield lake. They eventually got him fished out. Next time they led him over to the paddock with a life preserver around his neck and he won!

In regards to the Tampa cross, good horses are often buried at tracks. I know the great Captain Condo is buried in the infield at Emerald. He died of a heart attack the day the track opened. He was scheduled to appear that night.

Chart comment attached.

Milkshaker
03-13-2016, 09:12 PM

I believe it also aids in collecting drainage and helps in funneling standing water to one location.

barahona44
03-13-2016, 09:25 PM
I believe it also aids in collecting drainage and helps in funneling standing water to one location.
Thanks for the answer,I figured it was something like that , and not just for aesthetics.Although one of my favorite things to see when I'm watching Delta Downs is when they go around the turn and you can see the riders and horses reflections in the water.

Milkshaker
03-13-2016, 10:04 PM
Although one of my favorite things to see when I'm watching Delta Downs is when they go around the turn and you can see the riders and horses reflections in the water.

Agreed--I have always thought that (seeing it on simulcast only) that would be a cool photo op right about sunset when the light is dusky.

thespaah
03-13-2016, 11:46 PM
A number of reasons. Most likely, the construction of the track facility required fill soil. So what better place to get than the future infield of the racing oval. Consequently, the deeper the excavation the higher the likelihood of hitting ground water or going deeper than the natural water table...The hole fills with water....it also provides a relatively low cost source for irrigation of the turf areas of the facility, and to use as water for the dirt track as well. If the water is potable or can become potable with treatment, it can be used for animals/humans....

thespaah
03-13-2016, 11:50 PM
Freehold put an infield lake in after the track burned down. They couldnt get an adequate source to fight the fire, thus added a lake. I think that was back in the 70's or 80's.
http://www.nytimes.com/1984/05/06/sports/freehold-fire-stuns-an-area.html
this photo is intense.....
http://www.horseplop.com/index.php?topic=24506.0

TBD
03-14-2016, 12:07 PM
Idiatone, It is a short utility pole with two junction boxes attached on either side.

PaceAdvantage
03-14-2016, 12:09 PM
For the boat races.I don't know about anyone else, but I laughed! :lol:

ldiatone
03-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Idiatone, It is a short utility pole with two junction boxes attached on either side.
Thank you. that makes sense.

toddbowker
03-14-2016, 03:07 PM
A number of reasons. Most likely, the construction of the track facility required fill soil. So what better place to get than the future infield of the racing oval. Consequently, the deeper the excavation the higher the likelihood of hitting ground water or going deeper than the natural water table...The hole fills with water....it also provides a relatively low cost source for irrigation of the turf areas of the facility, and to use as water for the dirt track as well. If the water is potable or can become potable with treatment, it can be used for animals/humans....

We have a winner! They are normally retention ponds as part of the track drainage systems, and the water in many cases is then used for irrigation. To my knowledge, it's not potable water without additional treatment.

WoxFan
03-14-2016, 04:48 PM

Horse's name was Shipping News. He didn't race after this incident.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/chartEmb.cfm?track=TAM&raceDate=02/17/2011&cy=USA&rn=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNrJdNLWjX0

EMD4ME
03-14-2016, 07:00 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I laughed! :lol:

I did, as well, HYSTERICALLY. But I didn't want to get into more trouble with another comment :lol: