PDA

View Full Version : Should TVG take calls?

Stillriledup
03-10-2016, 01:14 PM
"Lets take a few phone calls" isn't something you hear on tvg. Would they benefit from being a little interactive with the fans?

ronsmac
03-10-2016, 01:38 PM
"Lets take a few phone calls" isn't something you hear on tvg. Would they benefit from being a little interactive with the fans?
Yes. It would be entertaining.

v j stauffer
03-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Matt used to take calls on a show called 58 flat.

Most people were really stupid.

Not long after that show went off the air.

PA came into existence :p

Stillriledup
03-10-2016, 02:27 PM

PA came into existence :p

That's right good point, I miss 58 flat.

I guess they would have to 'vet' the calls and only take the sharpest ones. Prob easier said than done.

PaceAdvantage
03-10-2016, 02:31 PM

PA came into existence :pTVG and PA started within DAYS of each other, back in 1999. So you're a bit off there...I existed way before :58 flat, unless that show started on day 1, which I doubt.

Stillriledup
03-10-2016, 02:43 PM
TVG and PA started within DAYS of each other, back in 1999. So you're a bit off there...I existed way before :58 flat, unless that show started on day 1, which I doubt.

Vic mighta been joking about how the 'stupid people' came to PA after 58 flat went off the air and just worded it wrong.

Amazing resolve by you to keep this place going for over 16 years now, that's impressive.

Click those banners people! :ThmbUp:

ultracapper
03-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Not from me. I have as foul a mouth as anyone you'll meet, and very little control.

PaceAdvantage
03-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Vic mighta been joking about how the 'stupid people' came to PA after 58 flat went off the air and just worded it wrong.I'm sure he was...but I want for him to continue thinking I have no sense of humor.

cj
03-10-2016, 03:32 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I was sure SRU started it before even looking. I'll go collect my $2.10 now.

Stillriledup
03-10-2016, 03:40 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I was sure SRU started it before even looking. I'll go collect my $2.10 now.

2.10 2.10 2.10 prices are ok. ;)

johnhannibalsmith
03-10-2016, 03:43 PM
Yes, anything to expand the stream of consciousness random soliloquies about anything at all, particularly if it isn't pertinent to one of the ten races upcoming, is certainly something that we need more of.

RunForTheRoses
03-10-2016, 03:52 PM
"OK let's go to the phones and it is srillriledup from Sheboygan-again. What's on your mind today stillriled." "Well uh, I would like to bring up an old discussion we were having in 2011, uh, "which do you like better del mar or Saratoga"?

v j stauffer
03-10-2016, 03:56 PM
I'm sure he was...but I want for him to continue thinking I have no sense of humor.

Anybody that puts up with us and doesn't have a sense of humor should walk into a chopper blade.

You saying TVG started in 1999 reminded me of some of the people I worked with back then.

I came on board in July of 99.

Who remembers............

Chris Harrison

Claudia Simon

Pricillia Hojawala

Jeff Lifson

Craig Hummer

Caton Bredar

Ken Rudulph

Frank Lyons

Greg Wolf

Sure I'm forgetting several

Still there from the very beginning.

Matt

Todd T

Dave Schwartz
03-10-2016, 04:02 PM

:lol: :lol:

mannyberrios
03-10-2016, 04:50 PM
That bet paid much more than I thought it would

v j stauffer
03-10-2016, 05:35 PM

Largest minus pool in the history of wagering.

mountainman
03-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Anybody that puts up with us and doesn't have a sense of humor should walk into a chopper blade.

You saying TVG started in 1999 reminded me of some of the people I worked with back then.

Chris Harrison

Claudia Simon

Pricillia Hojawala

Jeff Lifson

Craig Hummer

Caton Bredar

Ken Rudulph

Frank Lyons

Greg Wolf

Matt

Todd T

You were an exceptional tv analyst. And I dig Caton, btw. A pioneer, of sorts, and devoid of ego. And a great listener in person.

thaskalos
03-10-2016, 06:05 PM
You were an exceptional tv analyst. And I dig Caton, btw. A pioneer, of sorts, and devoid of ego. And a great listener in person.
Vic was indeed a great TV analyst. :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
03-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Largest minus pool in the history of wagering.

That bet put the free in free money! :D

Grits
03-10-2016, 08:30 PM

Caton is outstanding, I believe. And her listening skill, I don't know in person, but it is great when she's interviewing.

As far as Vic.. I'm not saying this for his attention as I doubt he'd acknowledge my thought, but he was one of the very finest analyst that TVG has ever had. Bar none.

SandyW
03-10-2016, 09:40 PM

Bring back GINO he was real good and very entertaining when he took calls and interacted with the public.

Tall One
03-10-2016, 11:45 PM

Chris Harrison

Claudia Simon

Pricillia Hojawala

Jeff Lifson

Craig Hummer

Caton Bredar

Ken Rudulph

Frank Lyons

Greg Wolf

Matt

Todd T

Julie Krone and Corey Black too.

-Man alive, Vic...working with Claudia had to be a distraction.

-I always liked Exactor Man's harness coverage on Mon/Tues nights. Never showed his face though..just the Unknown Comic's bag over his head. He had a sidekick too, can't remember his name though.

Stillriledup
03-11-2016, 12:21 AM
Bring back GINO he was real good and very entertaining when he took calls and interacted with the public.

I agree.

NJ Stinks
03-11-2016, 12:29 AM
Vic, I'm guilty of piling on. You spoke and I listened.

That's not usually the way I operate. :)

Tara73
03-11-2016, 12:57 AM
I doubt that Vic will comment but I'm wondering why Vic never returned to TVG. He was good.

Stillriledup
03-11-2016, 01:14 AM
I doubt that Vic will comment but I'm wondering why Vic never returned to TVG. He was good.

I smell an 'I like Vic Stauffer BUT...' Thread brewing from you :D

SG4
03-11-2016, 01:14 AM
TVG and PA started within DAYS of each other, back in 1999. So you're a bit off there...I existed way before :58 flat, unless that show started on day 1, which I doubt.

Any Beyer write ups from '99 about PA as well? Wonder if he would've been as glowing as he was in this initial review of TVG - http://articles.latimes.com/1999/aug/01/sports/sp-61504

thaskalos
03-11-2016, 01:27 AM
http://articles.latimes.com/1999/aug/01/sports/sp-61504

I hadn't seen that article before. Beyer is certainly one of a kind. :ThmbUp:

v j stauffer
03-11-2016, 01:28 AM

-I always liked Exactor Man's harness coverage on Mon/Tues nights. Never showed his face though..just the Unknown Comic's bag over his head. He had a sidekick too, can't remember his name though.

The Exactor Man and Mr. Lucky on the worldwide couch.

Great show!

Exactor Man......Brian Wayne

Mr. Lucky..........John Nelson.

Really great guys!

v j stauffer
03-11-2016, 01:32 AM

We've talked a couple times about me doing shifts.

However, the merger with HRTV made for a lot of talented available people that TVG understandably incorporated.

I think the XBTV idea has a lot of merit. Still a ways away from being up and running.

Who knows? Maybe I'll do some stuff with them.

Could be cool.

Mandrake
03-11-2016, 07:08 AM
SRU would need one signer a week just to pay his phone bill.

Tom
03-11-2016, 07:34 AM
Caton is outstanding, I believe. And her listening skill, I don't know in person, but it is great when she's interviewing.

As far as Vic.. I'm not saying this for his attention as I doubt he'd acknowledge my thought, but he was one of the very finest analyst that TVG has ever had. Bar none.

Caton is top notch!:ThmbUp:
I remember he hosting the Monmouth or Medowlands replays shows back in the day. Always had good insight into the game.

olddaddy
03-11-2016, 07:53 AM
I remember Vic on Tvg calling races over some announcer, at what track and when is was escapes me, as do a lot of things from time to time.

Tall One
03-11-2016, 10:17 AM
The Exactor Man and Mr. Lucky on the worldwide couch.

Great show!

Exactor Man......Brian Wayne

Mr. Lucky..........John Nelson.

Really great guys!

That was it...!

Thanks, Vic..:ThmbUp:

thespaah
03-12-2016, 12:36 AM
Rich takes and responds to viewer emails on the air....
Its pretty cool. I've done it several times.

thespaah
03-12-2016, 12:46 AM

Chris Harrison

Claudia Simon

Pricillia Hojawala

Jeff Lifson

Craig Hummer

Caton Bredar

Ken Rudulph

Frank Lyons

Greg Wolf

Matt

Todd T
I started watching from almost day one..
Remember most of them.....

thespaah
03-12-2016, 12:52 AM

I remember Krone's appearances on TVG. She was a lot of fun and quite the astute handicapper.

Stillriledup
03-12-2016, 12:53 AM
Rich takes and responds to viewer emails on the air....
Its pretty cool. I've done it several times.

But with that you get Rich's narrative, if he disagrees w you than you don't get to rebut.

johnhenry81
03-12-2016, 09:44 AM
There was a time where TVG replayed some of the voice mail messages left from viewers which many were hilarious. One that comes to mind was a NY "horseplayer guy" complete with the NY Italian accent, and his wife in the kitchen filling in his lost words as he said "that one young skinny guy" (Gino) has a thing for that pretty dark haired girl" (Christina Olivares Blacker) "and he ain't got a shot"!

feelup1963
03-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Gino who? U gotta b kiddin

duncan04
03-12-2016, 05:15 PM
I remember Vic on Tvg calling races over some announcer, at what track and when is was escapes me, as do a lot of things from time to time.

It was Santa Anita stake races if I recall. Back when Santa Anita was shown exclusively on HRTV.

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2016, 05:19 PM
I smell an 'I like Vic Stauffer BUT...' Thread brewing from you :DI don't...

thespaah
03-14-2016, 12:19 AM
But with that you get Rich's narrative, if he disagrees w you than you don't get to rebut.
I will only email if there is a question along the lines of horse racing trivia or if there is an amusing or informational anecdote to which an answer is required.
One of the reasons many show hosts do not care for call ins is due to the prevalence of inane questions and comments.
A good host will politely blow of the vapid commentors and converse with ones that are interesting to the point where the caller's comments or question will add to the show.

ultracapper
03-14-2016, 12:51 AM
Listening to callers on sports talk shows is brutal. The caller has to preface the question with a 90 second comment to show they have a deep understanding of the question they're asking.

They can't just ask..."Do you feel LeBron is the greatest player ever?" It always has to be....."I know that Wilt played in a different era, and Jordon has the numbers, and Kobe.......and Oscar........and blah, blah, blah, but do you think LeBron.......". People who call in never get to the point.

Stillriledup
03-14-2016, 12:56 AM
Listening to callers on sports talk shows is brutal. The caller has to preface the question with a 90 second comment to show they have a deep understanding of the question they're asking.

They can't just ask..."Do you feel LeBron is the greatest player ever?" It always has to be....."I know that Wilt played in a different era, and Jordon has the numbers, and Kobe.......and Oscar........and blah, blah, blah, but do you think LeBron.......". People who call in never get to the point.

Cállers to sports talk shows are bad for the most part, 9 out of 10 just can't spit out their question and when they finally spit it out, it's usually not of the 'sharp' variety.

v j stauffer
03-14-2016, 01:47 AM
It was Santa Anita stake races if I recall. Back when Santa Anita was shown exclusively on HRTV.

The show was called Gate Crashers. TVG would cover the race just like they were at the track. The entire show though was broadcast from the studio.

I did The Big Cap that Game On Dude and Chantal has that long inquiry.

I also once went into the studio at 1:00am to call one of Deep Impact's races.

thespaah
03-14-2016, 10:58 PM
Cállers to sports talk shows are bad for the most part, 9 out of 10 just can't spit out their question and when they finally spit it out, it's usually not of the 'sharp' variety.
I used to be an all sports format junkie..
Since I moved away from the NY Metro area, I pretty much stopped listening.
When I move to the Charlotte area, I gave it another shot. There was a new station here and it started off ok. Then they got some talent from out of town. Michelle Tafoya was here for about two or three years.

They had Terry Gannon here ( he is not with ESPN, does golf and football) he left. The mid day slot was occupied by some wench who called herself The Fabulous Sports Babe...What a loud mouth. He ratings were so low, Arbitron did not even measure them. The listeners started whining about the lack of coverage of the college and high school sports scene, so the station started dumping the talent and hiring local guys.
The afternoon drive time slot was hosted by mark Packer,son of legendary sport broadcaster Billy Packer, Mark was ok then of course as his ratings climbed, his ego began to inflate.

Packer would take calls from people who wanted to talk about ACC basketball in JULY..
The point is this. I bet it has been ten years since I last listened to sports talk radio.

Stillriledup
03-14-2016, 11:20 PM
When I move to the Charlotte area, I gave it another shot. There was a new station here and it started off ok. Then they got some talent from out of town. Michelle Tafoya was here for about two or three years.

They had Terry Gannon here ( he is not with ESPN, does golf and football) he left. The mid day slot was occupied by some wench who called herself The Fabulous Sports Babe...What a loud mouth. He ratings were so low, Arbitron did not even measure them. The listeners started whining about the lack of coverage of the college and high school sports scene, so the station started dumping the talent and hiring local guys.
The afternoon drive time slot was hosted by mark Packer,son of legendary sport broadcaster Billy Packer, Mark was ok then of course as his ratings climbed, his ego began to inflate.

Packer would take calls from people who wanted to talk about ACC basketball in JULY..
The point is this. I bet it has been ten years since I last listened to sports talk radio.

Did you call Miguel and the angry puppy on occasion?

ultracapper
03-14-2016, 11:43 PM

Nanci Donnellen

She grew up just down the road here in Tacoma, Washington. Had a show here at KJR95 sports radio for awhile. She made a serious name for herself by being crass and outrageous and started to really demand major bucks. ESPN finally paid her. She is a blowhard of the first degree.

v j stauffer
03-14-2016, 11:59 PM
Nanci Donnellen

She grew up just down the road here in Tacoma, Washington. Had a show here at KJR95 sports radio for awhile. She made a serious name for herself by being crass and outrageous and started to really demand major bucks. ESPN finally paid her. She is a blowhard of the first degree.

They said that about Rome back in the day. Remember it's entertainment. If we're talking about her she's doing her job.

kingfin66
03-15-2016, 12:58 AM
Nanci Donnellen

What a blast from the past. Yes, she was dreadful, but she wasn't the only one who was on the early days of 950. Brian Wheeler? Brian Knight? Still miss the Gas Man and Groz.

kingfin66
03-15-2016, 01:00 AM
They said that about Rome back in the day. Remember it's entertainment. If we're talking about her she's doing her job.

You obviously never heard or show or called in :) The station has much, much better talent these days.

v j stauffer
03-15-2016, 01:02 AM
You obviously never heard or show or called in :) The station has much, much better talent these days.

I'm sorry I don't understand what that statement means.

ultracapper
03-15-2016, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry I don't understand what that statement means.

I think he meant "heard HER show"

thespaah
03-16-2016, 08:46 PM
Did you call Miguel and the angry puppy on occasion?
I am not a caller. Just a listener.
First, when I have something on my mind, I want to express it immediately. Being put on hold through three segments, far and away exceeds my level of patience.
I do find myself grumbling at the callers and on occasion, the hosts.

thespaah
03-16-2016, 08:47 PM
Nanci Donnellen

She's not still on the air, is she?

thespaah
03-16-2016, 08:51 PM
Correct. But that does not mean we have to withhold our opinions...
Yeah. she was doing her job....Her niche was that she always seemed to have producers that were able to get higher profile figures in the sports world to come on her show....And for a person who's skills with listeners were sorely lacking, she did posses above avg interview skills. She was always prepared.

thespaah
03-16-2016, 08:53 PM
Rome enjoyed being controversial.
For example there was this.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjgpo3_SF7M

ultracapper
03-17-2016, 11:34 AM
She's not still on the air, is she?

Sounds like she's alive and well in Charlotte.

Stillriledup
03-17-2016, 01:22 PM
.is anyone watching chelate ham? 7 mile races really annoying

Stillriledup
04-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Funny.

Tvg just took a phone call from a random fan who analyzed the 9th at Sunland with 1 mtp and then kept him on the line to analyze the race afterwards.

:lol:

Interesting.