PDA

View Full Version : Donate money to increase a Purse/race??

ilzho
03-10-2016, 09:57 AM
I realize this sounds crazy, but I am trying to see if I can get some people to donate money or a company to create a stakes race at my track. The purses are really low ($12k) and I'm just trying to beef the purses up a little to attract better racing.

I do not know how this works internally, but does anyone have any thoughts on how I would go about it?

Just trying to keep racing alive......

ultracapper
03-10-2016, 10:03 AM
Corporate sponsor, for the same stake every year, or they can just sponsor a race when they feel like it. A company I used to work for would have a day at Emerald Downs every year and they'd pay a couple hundred bucks to have a race named after them. The money didn't go into the purse however.

I would think any track would accept $50K annually from a corporation to set up a stake race. $35K purse and the other $15K goes to the track's general account, or maybe the purse account. I would think if it's legal a track wouldn't have any problem with that.

I'd think. If I ran a track I'd go out looking for them. I'd write overnight stakes all meet long if corporations wanted to play that game.

johnhannibalsmith
03-10-2016, 10:11 AM
I know that in years past the stakes races with guaranteed pots at Rillito were largely subsidized by sponsors (Shoemaker Memorial, Budweiser Mile, etc.) I'm not entirely certain if the sponsorship today is such that the donation is 100% applied to the guaranteed purse of the race, but they have a really slick website to facilitate it now. I'm sure MonmouthJoe could add a lot more detail, but for the sake of giving you some kind of topical reply - it does happen and I'd be somewhat shocked if you couldn't make it happen the way that you are hoping.

http://rillitoracetrack.com/advertising/sponsor-a-race/

Edited: I should add that most places require that a stakes schedule be submitted and approved before the start of the meet. So adding one midstream might be a bit more of a bureaucratic challenge (but I doubt it would be impossible given the purse structure you mention and the sort of track I envision) than going to the track between meets and pitching your idea.

ilzho
03-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Thanks, I like my track, I go often, just the purses are low and all of the better horses have gone elsewhere to race.
Now my track maybe going after sponsors, but not sure, I'll definitely ask.

EMD4ME
03-10-2016, 11:38 AM
I realize this sounds crazy, but I am trying to see if I can get some people to donate money or a company to create a stakes race at my track. The purses are really low ($12k) and I'm just trying to beef the purses up a little to attract better racing.

I do not know how this works internally, but does anyone have any thoughts on how I would go about it?

Just trying to keep racing alive......

If you don't mind, may I ask what track it is?

Stillriledup
03-10-2016, 11:43 AM
If you don't mind, may I ask what track it is?

Its probably rilito since every other thread here is about this place :lol:

EMD4ME
03-10-2016, 11:49 AM

Shoot, I'd be open to looking at betting it. Maybe March 12. Right now, I only have 1 track to look at (NYRA) and it's Ortiz season so my bets are obviously kept to a minimum.

johnhannibalsmith
03-10-2016, 12:18 PM

The guy said low purses with $12k in parenthesis. $12k is probably just shy of the average total daily overnight purse distribution at RIL, so I think it is probably not Rillito. :p

ilzho
03-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Hi
I'm talking about LSP.
Lone Star Park.

Attendance keeps dropping, purse amounts keep dropping.
I'm just looking at ideas to help the place.
That's all.

v j stauffer
03-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Hi
I'm talking about LSP.
Lone Star Park.

Attendance keeps dropping, purse amounts keep dropping.
I'm just looking at ideas to help the place.
That's all.

Just getting a new announcer should increase handle 10%.

That last guy was stronger than Ambien.

ilzho
03-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I think he works other tracks as well.