PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to China?

_______
03-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Leaving Monday for a 10 day business trip followed by 11 days of travel with my wife. I've never been before.

I'll have some free time in Beijing and Shanghai between meetings before taking a 4 day boat tour with my wife on the Yangtze and then on to Xian and Hong Kong.

I know all the tourist stuff. If you've been and know any of the cities, post or PM me with recommendations of stuff you thought was fun.

Arriving Hong Kong on a Thursday so I'll miss the Wednsday night meet. The boat trip with wife and wanting to see Xian screwed up the timing.

Greyfox
03-09-2016, 06:10 PM
China? I never had the yen to go there. :)

_______
03-09-2016, 06:15 PM
China? I never had the yen to go there. :)

Japanese Yen. Chinese Yuan.

I guess they all look the same (so not logging into this site when I'm there).

MONEY
03-09-2016, 06:31 PM
All I know is that if you have any kind of military/law enforcement ID or anything that
connects you to the U.S. Military or law enforcement, leave it home.

You don't want to be arrested as a spy.

davew
03-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Thirty years ago a friend of mine went there for a 3 month bicycle touring vacation of the country. His bicycle was confiscated (and probably reverse engineered for mass production).

Tell us how your trip and vacation turn out when you get back.

Tom
03-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Japanese Yen. Chinese Yuan.

I guess they all look the same (so not logging into this site when I'm there).

I don't yaun to go there, either!

horses4courses
03-09-2016, 08:54 PM
I don't yaun to go there, either!

Ever been outside your county?

Tom
03-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Been to Canada a lot.
Been to Iowa - is that part of the country? ;)

Flattest place I ever saw. I stood in the parking lot and looked east - saw the back of my head.

I'd like to visit Ireland, France, Germany, and Poland. Never happen now.
I'd actually love to visit Jerusalem and see the the Holy lands. But, going to Finger Lakes is now a trip I plan ahead for. :bang:

ChickenOrTheEgg
03-09-2016, 09:18 PM
你好!

So excited for you. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Just a few thoughts:

The touristy guided tours in Beijing are fun. Check out the menus at KFC & McDonalds. It's cool to see how different they are :confused: I eat a lot of 油条(Chinese cruller). Be wary of buying goods from street merchants unless you are with a native because they won't haggle with westerners.

Have fun!!

horses4courses
03-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Been to Canada a lot.
Been to Iowa - is that part of the country? ;)

Flattest place I ever saw. I stood in the parking lot and looked east - saw the back of my head.

I'd like to visit Ireland, France, Germany, and Poland. Never happen now.
I'd actually love to visit Jerusalem and see the the Holy lands. But, going to Finger Lakes is now a trip I plan ahead for. :bang:

That's cool.....try to see some of those Euro countries.
You will love it. :ThmbUp:

I thought Iowa was flat....until I saw Kansas :eek:
Both Iowa and Oklahoma have enough rolling hills to
make the landscapes interesting.
For many miles around Wichita, KS, it seemed flat as a pancake.

There's nothing like travel to broaden horizons :ThmbUp:
I wish I could do more myself. Maybe one day.

Shemp Howard
03-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Take my advice......don't breathe the air.

_______
03-09-2016, 09:49 PM
你好!

So excited for you. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Just a few thoughts:

The touristy guided tours in Beijing are fun. Check out the menus at KFC & McDonalds. It's cool to see how different they are :confused: I eat a lot of 油条(Chinese cruller). Be wary of buying goods from street merchants unless you are with a native because they won't haggle with westerners.

Have fun!!

Ni hao!

I always find the twists on familiar cuisine interesting. I'll definitely check out the menu's. Thanks for the advise on street merchants.

Looking forward to experiencing the culture. Been to Europe a lot but this will be my first time in Asia.

_______
03-09-2016, 09:53 PM
Take my advice......don't breathe the air.

Been looking at the air quality in Beijing as the trip get closer. I grew up in L.A. in the 60's so remember the bad old days. But pictures of "moderate" levels in Beijing look worse than anything I ever saw as a kid.

Oh, well. There for 4 days no matter what so will hope for the best and accept whatever comes. It must be so hard to live with that year round.

_______
03-09-2016, 09:55 PM
That's cool.....try to see some of those Euro countries.
You will love it. :ThmbUp:

I thought Iowa was flat....until I saw Kansas :eek:
Both Iowa and Oklahoma have enough rolling hills to
make the landscapes interesting.
For many miles around Wichita, KS, it seemed flat as a pancake.

There's nothing like travel to broaden horizons :ThmbUp:
I wish I could do more myself. Maybe one day.

I was in Nebraska and thought I saw a tree but it turned out to be Tom looking at the back of his head in Iowa.

Sinner369
03-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Assume you are staying at a hotel...........just go to the lobby and they will help you with tours (short or long) to anywhere in Asia.

But it is also better to go with a group instead of by yourself.

horses4courses
03-09-2016, 10:09 PM
I was in Nebraska and thought I saw a tree but it turned out to be Tom looking at the back of his head in Iowa.

Haven't made it to Nebraska - yet :)

hyipro
03-09-2016, 11:57 PM
I was there about 15 years ago, great trip, just make sure you have your shots, for every disease you can think of, do not drink the water, the hotels have signs in the room (POISON DO NOT DRINK) I kid you not, do not drink out of a can, before you eat meat make sure it does not bark or meow, get ready to see the dogs and cats hanging.....You must get anti infection drugs from your doc, as careful as I was I got hit with the "REVENGE" would not wish it on my worst enemy, even with the drugs (I drank out of a can of
coke, like 90 degrees in the forbidden city) Went for a big Mac mmmm,
they change the babies on the tables while your eating ughhh, they go in the
streets, the baby jammies have no seats, they go like where ever they are,
be careful of the bathrooms on tour, maybe now its more modern but back then it was a hole in the ground. River tour was great but the food super sucked if I did not have my skippy and crackers with me I would have starved, each floor in the hotels have armed military watching your every move, I remember getting off a tourist bus, where I cannot remember, and
there were tons of moms holding up their babies, screaming, babies for sale, babies for sale, on and on, other then the above all I can say is "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

NorCalGreg
03-10-2016, 12:18 AM
I find it utterly amazing, people are allowed into the U.S. from areas as bad, or worse than you describe---and shortly thereafter, start making demands on our Govt, our people, OUR customs...and way of life.

I'm with you, brother

🗽God Bless America

kingfin66
03-10-2016, 01:38 AM
Haven't made it to Nebraska - yet :)

If you get there, please check in on Goren.

upthecreek
03-10-2016, 06:12 AM
Every time I shop @ Walmart :lol:

Valuist
03-10-2016, 09:34 AM
How about Shenzhen? About a population of 3,000 in 1980. Now about 3 million.

barahona44
03-10-2016, 02:58 PM
I find it utterly amazing, people are allowed into the U.S. from areas as bad, or worse than you describe---and shortly thereafter, start making demands on our Govt, our people, OUR customs...and way of life.

I'm with you, brother

🗽God Bless America
Most don't,,but some do and I think often those 'somes' are urged on by American citizens who have their own agenda.I know a lot of immigrants and one big difference is that all of them came here legally, they're the ones who appreciate what this country is about.

Tom
03-10-2016, 03:31 PM
How about Shenzhen? About a population of 3,000 in 1980. Now about 3 million.

I know some people in Shenzhen. We do a lot of work with a company there.
A group of them came here to visit last year. They all have American names that they use at work. I met "Sally," a rather large and rather hairy man!

azeri98
03-10-2016, 06:01 PM
I've been to a few Chinese massage parlors. does that count?

Red Knave
03-10-2016, 07:31 PM
I've asked this before but I'll mention it once again. I would very much appreciate it if you wouldn't post these one liners when I'm drinking beer. I don't like what it does inside my nose.

I'm still smiling.

And you two should see Saskatchewan. As they say there, it's easy to draw, hard to spell.

hyipro
03-10-2016, 09:10 PM
I went on tour and we became bf with BOb grant of talk radio.........

_______
03-19-2016, 09:43 AM
PaceAdvantage in all it's splendor is available here in the People's Republic. It's odd what is and isn't blocked.

I can't access Google but Yahoo is fine. The LA Times website, along with NPR, BBC, and many other western news sites are easily accessed but Facebook is blocked.

You can watch CNN in hotel's that cater to westerners but my hosts tell me it's not available outside. They also say the local nickname given to CNN is "China Negative News".

No one I have dealt with here is afraid to openly criticize the government and are fully aware of the censorship that occurs. It's really been eye opening.

RunForTheRoses
03-19-2016, 09:49 AM
I went on tour and we became bf with BOb grant of talk radio.........

Really? That's cool. Bob Gigante, loved his radio show. Didn't tolerate any fake, phony frauds lol.

barahona44
03-19-2016, 09:49 AM
PaceAdvantage in all it's splendor is available here in the People's Republic. It's odd what is and isn't blocked.

I can't access Google but Yahoo is fine. The LA Times website, along with NPR, BBC, and many other western news sites are easily accessed but Facebook is blocked.

You can watch CNN in hotel's that cater to westerners but my hosts tell me it's not available outside. They also say the local nickname given to CNN is "China Negative News".

No one I have dealt with here is afraid to openly criticize the government and are fully aware of the censorship that occurs. It's really been eye opening.
Did they censor Tom yet? :)

They fear the Monkey Man.

PaceAdvantage
03-19-2016, 03:38 PM
PaceAdvantage in all it's splendor is available here in the People's Republic. It's odd what is and isn't blocked.I wonder what kind of Google ads you get over there on this site... :lol:

_______
03-19-2016, 05:43 PM
I wonder what kind of Google ads you get over there on this site... :lol:

The ones in english are for VPN's guaranteeing access to banned sites and "travel companions" who appear to be attractive young women. But also Timeform and Bet123. There are some in Chinese characters that will remain a mystery.

PaceAdvantage
03-22-2016, 11:52 AM
The ones in english are for VPN's guaranteeing access to banned sites and "travel companions" who appear to be attractive young women. But also Timeform and Bet123. There are some in Chinese characters that will remain a mystery.Timeform, Equibase and bet123 are not part of the Google network...so that's to be expected...in fact, most if not all of the horse racing ads are not part of Google...which is why I was curious...