PDA

View Full Version : Bet tracking/logging software?

Southbaygent
03-09-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm looking for a package to help record, track, analyze my bets. Also something capable of modeling hypoypthetical bets/users i.e. top win choice of a handicapping program, or another handicapper.

I used to use a Cynthia Publishing/Dick Mitchell DOS based program years ago, it did the job, but obviously outdated. Really tracked my betting strengths and weaknesses well.

I write a lot of my own software (Visual Basic/Access db), and in fact import text file charts/results daily from North American tracks, so I could "roll my own", but perhaps there is something out there that would fill my needs?

Thanks in advance for any replies and suggestions.

Tom

green80
03-09-2016, 04:11 PM
I'm looking for a package to help record, track, analyze my bets. Also something capable of modeling hypoypthetical bets/users i.e. top win choice of a handicapping program, or another handicapper.

I used to use a Cynthia Publishing/Dick Mitchell DOS based program years ago, it did the job, but obviously outdated. Really tracked my betting strengths and weaknesses well.

I write a lot of my own software (Visual Basic/Access db), and in fact import text file charts/results daily from North American tracks, so I could "roll my own", but perhaps there is something out there that would fill my needs?

Tom

I was just looking for the same thing. Should be easy to make in excel

ldiatone
03-09-2016, 04:33 PM

Tom
there is a window version. recently updated

Southbaygent
03-09-2016, 06:07 PM
there is a window version. recently updated
Link?

Southbaygent
03-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Hey was looking around, here's Cynthia Publishing Betting Analyst:
http://cynthiapublishing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=THS&Product_Code=BA-S&Category_Code=SOFTWARE

Im just curious how relevant they (Cynthia Publishing) still are? A few months ago I left multiple requests for info/update for All-In-One and never got any reply.

Dick Mitchell was quite a mentor to me, I miss him.

betovernetcapper
03-09-2016, 08:37 PM
NetCapper records, tracks and analyzes your bets by type, distance, track
Ect. Gordon Pine who created this software also did the software for Cynthia Publishing.
BTW there was a contest several years ago on PA, that involved teams from each of many softwares picking all races from 5 tracks every Saturday from January till the Derby. Based on $2 win & exotic bets the winning team rang up $70,000 (+) in mythical bets. As I recall no other software was close. OK, I'll end the suspense, the winner was NetCapper. :)

MiJan
03-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Hey was looking around, here's Cynthia Publishing Betting Analyst:
http://cynthiapublishing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=THS&Product_Code=BA-S&Category_Code=SOFTWARE

Im just curious how relevant they (Cynthia Publishing) still are? A few months ago I left multiple requests for info/update for All-In-One and never got any reply.

Dick Mitchell was quite a mentor to me, I miss him.

Source code in the Contact webpage shows:

<!-- Date: Tuesday January 15 2002 -->

Not a good sign for a live sight.

Greybase
03-19-2016, 02:37 AM
I'm looking for a package to help record, track, analyze my bets. Also something capable of modeling hypoypthetical bets/ users i.e. top win choice of a handicapping program, or another handicapper.

Two different things, IMO ... Tracking Your actual wagers, i.e. Accounting software is best handled by your ADW provider .. any decent ADW should provide this as a function of storing your history. IF they don't provide a good selection of Wager Reports (by Date, Track, Bet Type, etc.) then find another ADW!

That's assuming you are doing serious betting with real $$ .. Otherwise IF you're interested in testing and modeling, seems to me that's a central function of a handicapping software package. There again, if your software isn't capable of producing a variety of Reports, using actual Results data for various Bet Types then maybe time to find a better package ... It's 2016 and any respectable 'capping software should be able to download daily Entries & Results data. And generate the Reports based on your Selections, and/OR your various ranking factors... :)

NorCalGreg
03-19-2016, 03:39 AM
if your software isn't capable of producing a variety of Reports, using actual Results data for various Bet Types then maybe time to find a better package ... It's 2016 and any respectable 'capping software should be able to download daily Entries & Results data. And generate the Reports based on your Selections, and/OR your various ranking factors...

I'm guessing this "wonder software" you speak of--is one of the programs today that require an engineering degree---with a 6 month learning curve.

They all sound good--but I'm just not at point where I'm ready to "start all over again"......so to speak.

BTW...nice dog. Is that a german shepard?

headhawg
03-19-2016, 10:50 AM
I'm guessing this "wonder software" you speak of--is one of the programs today that require an engineering degree---with a 6 month learning curve.You can look at this two ways. Yes, some software could be better designed for ease of use. But if a someone believes that the software can help get an edge -- and that is the key -- then isn't it worth the six months of learning? Most of the players give up with software in a couple of months because they can't make it print money. The majority of people want to click a button and have the software spit out 40% winners paying $10 or more. Try finding that program out there. I'm not going to dredge up the whole black box thing again, but if I had one I'm certainly not selling it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you find software that you like that has a long learning curve, you've eliminated most of your competition because they won't bother learning how to use it.

Southbaygent
03-20-2016, 01:27 AM
Two different things, IMO ... Tracking Your actual wagers, i.e. Accounting software is best handled by your ADW provider .. any decent ADW should provide this as a function of storing your history. IF they don't provide a good selection of Wager Reports (by Date, Track, Bet Type, etc.) then find another ADW!

That's assuming you are doing serious betting with real $$ .. Otherwise IF you're interested in testing and modeling, seems to me that's a central function of a handicapping software package. There again, if your software isn't capable of producing a variety of Reports, using actual Results data for various Bet Types then maybe time to find a better package ... It's 2016 and any respectable 'capping software should be able to download daily Entries & Results data. And generate the Reports based on your Selections, and/OR your various ranking factors... :)

Understood, current software I use does produce reports as you describe, win%, ROI, etc on nearly unlimited data/filters, research, etc. Also the package has extensive data export of its own.

Where the DOS version of the "betting analyst" was helpful, was I logged actual wagers I made, as you suggest. I entered track, $ wager, type of wagers, class, distance, surface, gender, etc. for each race I bet on. Also of course the results/payoffs.

After a few seasons and hundreds of live wagers entered, there were some sobering reports showing what kind of races/wagers I did well/poorly with. For instance I was nailing the SAX 6.5f downhill turf course. Also, lower level (SoCal lower level) claiming races. MCL at SAX became a sub-speciality of mine.

Flip side - Turned out I couldn't get an ROI on graded stakes races at all! Not so great with allowance conditions either.

It was interesting to follow my history and trends, and gave me a lot of direction to support my wager procedures.

The "hypothetical" betting = Right now I'm toying with the TTT "Thee Top Three" handicapping software, using it is almost "free" as I'm already downloading raw data it uses for other purposes. I was considering tracking hypothetical $2 WP wagers on its top two selections. Again after a long time and lots of entries, there might be some useful info on how it's top picks pay.

I already import CSV results/charts into a database for every track in North America daily for some pace modeling. All the data I need to "roll my own" betting analysis is there....just wondering if that's the best use of my time programming. So much data available nowadays, deciding what to "mine" and use can overwhelm. :)

NorCalGreg
03-20-2016, 05:33 AM
You can look at this two ways. Yes, some software could be better designed for ease of use. But if a someone believes that the software can help get an edge -- and that is the key -- then isn't it worth the six months of learning? Most of the players give up with software in a couple of months because they can't make it print money. The majority of people want to click a button and have the software spit out 40% winners paying $10 or more. Try finding that program out there. I'm not going to dredge up the whole black box thing again, but if I had one I'm certainly not selling it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you find software that you like that has a long learning curve, you've eliminated most of your competition because they won't bother learning how to use it.

Excellent post, hh. I was actually speaking from a personal situation--I'm just not up for wiping my plate clean--and starting a project that would require 100% of my focus for an indefinite time period.

But that, like everything else.... is subject to change. Thanks for posting :ThmbUp:

-NCG☮

betovernetcapper
03-21-2016, 01:43 AM
In 1980 I wrote an article for American Turf & Sport, that was a paper & pencil notebook that addressed this issue. It takes about 5 min' per day. If your interested, pmail me your email & I'll send you the way to create your own notebook. BTW if anyone else wants instructions send me you email, I'll send them out on Tuesday.
It's very easy to do, just sort of tedious to explain. If your not interested, no biggie. :)

betovernetcapper
03-21-2016, 05:24 PM
Emailed betting log form to all who've requested them. Any question, plz email me.

ldiatone
03-21-2016, 06:14 PM
Understood, current software I use does produce reports as you describe, win%, ROI, etc on nearly unlimited data/filters, research, etc. Also the package has extensive data export of its own.

Where the DOS version of the "betting analyst" was helpful, was I logged actual wagers I made, as you suggest. I entered track, $ wager, type of wagers, class, distance, surface, gender, etc. for each race I bet on. Also of course the results/payoffs.

After a few seasons and hundreds of live wagers entered, there were some sobering reports showing what kind of races/wagers I did well/poorly with. For instance I was nailing the SAX 6.5f downhill turf course. Also, lower level (SoCal lower level) claiming races. MCL at SAX became a sub-speciality of mine.

Flip side - Turned out I couldn't get an ROI on graded stakes races at all! Not so great with allowance conditions either.

It was interesting to follow my history and trends, and gave me a lot of direction to support my wager procedures.

The "hypothetical" betting = Right now I'm toying with the TTT "Thee Top Three" handicapping software, using it is almost "free" as I'm already downloading raw data it uses for other purposes. I was considering tracking hypothetical $2 WP wagers on its top two selections. Again after a long time and lots of entries, there might be some useful info on how it's top picks pay.

I already import CSV results/charts into a database for every track in North America daily for some pace modeling. All the data I need to "roll my own" betting analysis is there....just wondering if that's the best use of my time programming. So much data available nowadays, deciding what to "mine" and use can overwhelm. :)
the current mitchell software from CPC has the updated betting analyst installed.

Southbaygent
03-22-2016, 12:20 AM
Thanks so much!!!

Southbaygent
03-22-2016, 12:30 AM
>>the current mitchell software from CPC has the updated betting analyst installed.<<

I'm considering buying the current Betting Analyst Supreme (http://cynthiapublishing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=THS&Product_Code=BA-S&Category_Code=SOFTWARE) and then subscribing to the "special" $9.95/month CPC/HDW data package just for the results tie in to the betting analyst.

Just irks me a bit that I already send $119/month for data (different software package), and now need to spend more, and the data I need is probably already downloaded but in wrong format, lol!!

Just pondering it, haven't made up my mind...