PDA

View Full Version : WinZip

wilderness
03-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Anybody have extensive background with WinZip?

I'm in the process of reducing the number of BackUP discs with larger capacity discs.
For some time my BU's have been incremental, however I've reached a point in my project disc reduction where the BU's were NOT incremental.

Here's the skinny!
1) For a one year BU period (approximately 24-DVD's) I was able to use Windows Explorer and search the DVD for files modified within a six-week period of the BU date.
2) then right click on one of the selected files and create a ZIP.

The problem is that I'm now getting an error that reads:
WinZip is unable to continue with the current operation

winzip is unable to change to the specified directory and as a result cannot access any files in that folder

A google wasn't much help!
Did locate a reference that suggested changing the TEMP Environment Variables in Windows (that did change the default location, however still get the error).

Also tried un-installing and re-installing WinZip with no change.

The reduction in time (via the date search) on the non-incremental-BU's reduces the time on each disc by approximately 90-minutes (times another 40 or so discs is substantial; as well as the volume reduction and/or duplication reduction).

098poi
03-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Can you still make a ZIP on a file that you had successfully done in the past? If so it may be a permissions issue on the file you are now trying to ZIP. I am a little confused but if they are on DVD's I don't know if you can change the permissions or not. Good luck

wilderness
03-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Many thanks.

I'm still able to create ZIPs, just not using the same method (searching the DVD's by date modified), that was used successfully on 20+ DVD's.

RunForTheRoses
03-09-2016, 07:49 PM
I think WinRAR is superior, might work better for your project.

Mechanic
03-09-2016, 08:02 PM
do people still use DVD's? oh my :confused:
cheaper, faster, easier to store (Flash drive)

Longshot6977
03-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Try these 4 quick ideas:

1. Turn off all antivirus apps and try again.
2. Sign on under the Administrator account and try again.
3. Right-click the file and select Run as Administrator.

or do all 3 ideas at once and try again. If that doesn't work, try this since it's possible WinZip encrypted them at some point:

A. In Windows Explorer, select all the files/folders that have the problem.

B. Right-click and select Properties.

C. In the Properties dialog, select the General tab.

D. In the Attributes section, click on Advanced.

E. In the Advanced Attributes dialog, uncheck 'Encrypt contents'.

F. Click OK in both dialogs.

Try again. Good luck. Let us know.

headhawg
03-10-2016, 12:05 AM
Try using 7-Zip (free) and see if you have the same problem.

wilderness
03-10-2016, 01:54 AM
do people still use DVD's? oh my :confused:
cheaper, faster, easier to store (Flash drive)

FWIW, I've Flash, DVD, and Blu-Ray.
They all serve a different purpose.
I would never use a Flash drive for BU's, however I've done so on a temporary basis and to allow easy transport.

Even had some DVD's become corrupted over time to where portions (files) were not accessible. Repeated Memorex corrupts surprised the hell out of me.

wilderness
03-10-2016, 01:57 AM
I think WinRAR is superior, might work better for your project.

I've RAR, and looked at the options when creating ZIP files.
RAR does not allow ZIP files to be created using 'Other Size' option.

Don't recall which disk format, however one would not burn/create files larger than 2GB.

wilderness
03-10-2016, 02:08 AM
Anybody have extensive background with WinZip?

I'm in the process of reducing the number of BackUP discs with larger capacity discs.
For some time my BU's have been incremental, however I've reached a point in my project disc reduction where the BU's were NOT incremental.

Here's the skinny!
1) For a one year BU period (approximately 24-DVD's) I was able to use Windows Explorer and search the DVD for files modified within a six-week period of the BU date.
2) then right click on one of the selected files and create a ZIP.

The problem is that I'm now getting an error that reads:
WinZip is unable to continue with the current operation

winzip is unable to change to the specified directory and as a result cannot access any files in that folder

Tried a restore from when the procedure worked previously and same result/error.

FWIW, while the Search-Results and Right Click (to create ZIP) were working previously, the path for the file that I clicked on would show in the WinZip path.
It has NOT done so since it stopped working.

Before corrected Environment Variables the path shown is MyDocuments/Temp, which fails.

After correcting Environment Variables the path shown is the last WinZip activity, which also fails.

Both fail when I insert the correct path.

1) I'm searching BU Discs for a specific time frame.
2) I'm attempting to create a ZIP file on a hard drive (different from the disc media drive) that contains the file previously date specified.

FWIW, I'll also looked at Permissions for the Media drives as some google results suggested and everything appears normal.

Thanks to all for the replies.

MJC922
03-10-2016, 06:16 AM
FWIW, I've Flash, DVD, and Blu-Ray.
They all serve a different purpose.
I would never use a Flash drive for BU's, however I've done so on a temporary basis and to allow easy transport.

Even had some DVD's become corrupted over time to where portions (files) were not accessible. Repeated Memorex corrupts surprised the hell out of me.

Your call on this but I wouldn't bother with optical media for backups. You can run into incompatible media with certain burners, lasers age, the whole thing is prone to issues over time. I work in a corp environment, for a typical backup I'll save an image to a 2TB external USB drive or save an image out to a NAS file share which is on RAID10, have the image saved in two locations. In some cases like backup of the systems running the financials I believe we save a backup to tape and it gets picked up for offsite storage. BTW it's a good idea to use backup software which features disk image files that you can mount / browse and where you can pull files out of them just in case the whole machine fails. Windows system images allow for that, I believe Acronis TrueImage does etc.

I agree with the recommendation on 7zip, it's free, we use it extensively in my company for the past several years, works great on 64bit etc. I don't know of anyone using WinZip anymore, it brings back memories of Win98 when everyone used WinZip or WinRAR.

MJC922
03-10-2016, 06:44 AM
Maybe reinstalling WinZip would help.

wilderness
03-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Maybe reinstalling WinZip would help.

Thanks, did that twice.
Only intended to do so once, however after the restore a file was missing.

I'm inclined to believe this is either a permissions or Windows issue, although I'm unable to determine anything.

In the past, I've had some hiccups with Windows Explorer when doing searches and attempting to copy the search results files (mostly images), however don't recall the details.

The majority of the BU data is on a second 1TB hard drive used for that purpose only. The media discs are simply a second source.

FWIW, I've put the disc reduction project on hold for now, have progressed backward through 2009 (88 BU discs were reduced to just 15).

Red Knave
03-10-2016, 09:43 AM
As you already know, Winzip has some default folder options that can be reconfigured. How are these set up in your version? i.e. what are the settings for work folder and temp folder etc.? Has one of these pre-configured directories been removed? It would be useful to narrow down what directory the error message refers to.

Also, long shot guess, although theoretically you should never run out of directory filename space, in practice, of course, you can. Do you have any directories with thousands of files? Any possibility disk space is running low?

wilderness
03-10-2016, 10:39 AM
As you already know, Winzip has some default folder options that can be reconfigured. How are these set up in your version? i.e. what are the settings for work folder and temp folder etc.? Has one of these pre-configured directories been removed? It would be useful to narrow down what directory the error message refers to.

Many thanks Red Knave.
Both StartUp Folder and Add Folder are set to 'Last'.

It would be useful to narrow down what directory the error message refers to.
The error doesn't occur until I insert the desired path of the ZIP to be created, however I've assumed all along that the error was assigned to either the 'search result directory' or the 'media drive'. Not sure how to determine exactly what directory is generating the error?

Also, long shot guess, although theoretically you should never run out of directory filename space, in practice, of course, you can. Do you have any directories with thousands of files? Any possibility disk space is running low?

The results of the 'search on the modified files', generally results in something exceeding 1,500 files, however the paths are different (on the BU media) for different files. The confusion may be that the 'search results' are for all intent and purposes within the same directory.

FWIW, my directory structure is generally 8-10 subs deep.

No issue with disk space.

wilderness
03-10-2016, 11:03 AM
what are the settings for work folder and temp folder etc.? Has one of these pre-configured directories been removed?

BOTH are:
C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Local Settings\Temp\

This is what comes up in WinZip by default (at least currently).
Previously (when it was working) the directory location that came up would be location of the file name that I right-clicked on (i. e., the media location).

I may change this (and I did previously without eliminating the error) by changing the Windoze Eviroment Variables to '%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp'

Red Knave
03-10-2016, 12:31 PM
I know you have been doing what you do for a long time so my thought was that something changed or was added since the last "good" result. Weird.

wilderness
03-11-2016, 12:09 AM
First I'd like to again thank everybody for their help, time and suggestions.

Sheesh! It's a rude awakening to determine that you are your own damned monster ;)

For more than a decade (At this time, I;m not sure when the procedure stopped (since I did not have the error issue when condensing my 2009 BU's, than a good assumption would be my last year of saving races results was 2008) I saved archived race results (HTML pages and Past Performances (PDF's) from both the USTA & SC websites.
Prior to doing my monthly backups, procedure was to create individual ZIPs for each track and/or fair of the saved results, (Occasionally I'll use the same procedure for non-racing-results-files) and then include these zips in my monthly BUs.

Windows and Windows Explorer Search results list both the individual ZIP and also each individual file contained within the ZIPs.
(I'm leery of changing the settings (to eliminate the zips and files contained within same zips in my search criteria) for Windows own ZIP viewer as I've a recollection of doing so in the past with negative influences).

Whether the previously mentioned "access denied" error is a result of Windows or Winzip is not clear to me.

Once I sort the search results by type and eliminate the files that are contained within ZIPs, than my 'date modified' procedure returns to the previous success.

FWIW, found this procedure on a google (failed to note the URL) for removing the Windows Viewer file associations (leery as previously mentioned):

How to not search in zip files (XP Home SP1)

This might be what your looking for, notice I said might.

The explorer in WinXP has an integrated ZIP file viewer, which makes ZIP files act like folders. But you will not have the same functionality at hand which are available with most compression utilities.

The integrated ZIP file viewer enables file searching to open ZIP files and look for the wanted file. This can make file searches extremely slow.

To do disable the integrated ZIP file viewer run this command :

regsvr32 /u %windir%system32zipfldr.dll

Note that if you click a zip file after running this command it will cause explorer to be zip viewer again. To avoid this one need to set file associationg to your desired program right after running the command.