PDA

View Full Version : Taxpayer abuse at its finest

zico20
03-08-2016, 11:05 PM
The government is going to spend 50 million to relocate 1200 turtles from the Mojave desert. That comes out to 42,000 a turtle. I will do my patriotic duty and tell the government that I will only charge them 25 million to capture these turtles. Seriously, it can't be done for cheaper?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/08/marines-to-shell-out-50m-to-evac-1200-tortoises-from-desert-compound.html?intcmp=hplnws

davew
03-08-2016, 11:31 PM
here's another

the first half a billion (of 3 billion pledged) to UN Green Climate Fund

http://news.yahoo.com/united-states-delivers-first-payment-global-climate-fund-024226394.html

OntheRail
03-09-2016, 12:07 AM
I tell you what... This BS won't fly under Trump.

thaskalos
03-09-2016, 12:08 AM
You'd think the Marines would pick on someone their own size. :ThmbDown:

Marshall Bennett
03-09-2016, 04:05 AM
Disgusting and unthinkable in these economic times. An indication of the road this nation is on. :ThmbDown:

Tom
03-09-2016, 07:36 AM
The government is going to spend 50 million to relocate 1200 turtles from the Mojave desert.

This is disaster waiting to happen.
There is no way that many turtles can be properly vetted.
What are they thinking???

azeri98
03-09-2016, 11:44 AM
:lol: This is disaster waiting to happen.

boxcar
03-09-2016, 12:10 PM
This is disaster waiting to happen.

Can't they just build a little wall in the desert to contain those critters?

Marshall Bennett
03-09-2016, 12:17 PM
There are excellent recipes for turtle soup. Feed the needy, problem solves.:)

Tom
03-09-2016, 12:37 PM
Can't they just build a little wall in the desert to contain those critters?

Oh, we will build a wall alright.
And the Mojave's will PAY for it!

Flysofree
03-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Begs the question: "what's in your wallet"?

tucker6
03-09-2016, 02:31 PM
$413k to study the relationship between gender and glaciers. I kid you not. Read the last paragraph below.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/08/study-glaciers-varied-impact-on-men-women-cost-taxpayers-big-bucks.html?intcmp=hpbt4

The paper, titled “Glaciers, gender, and science" and authored by University of Oregon professor Mark Carey, found that “ice is not just ice” and called on scientists to take a “feminist political ecology and feminist postcolonial” approach when researching glaciers and climate change.

The study, which centers around "feminist glaciology," was published in January and was part of a nearly half million dollar federal grant, according to The Free Beacon and College Fix -- though it's unclear how much of the $412,930 in funds went specifically toward Carey's paper.

“Glaciers are key icons of climate change and global environmental change,” Carey wrote. “However, the relationships among gender, science, and glaciers -- particularly related to epistemological questions about the production of glaciological knowledge -- remain understudied."

"Merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology, the feminist glaciology framework generates robust analysis of gender, power and epistemologies in dynamic social-ecological systems, thereby leading to more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions,” the paper reads.

Nutz and Boltz
03-09-2016, 04:10 PM
The government is doing to us what these turtles are doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcAmcT4LM1I

HalvOnHorseracing
03-09-2016, 07:08 PM
I tell you what... This BS won't fly under Trump.
Since the desert tortoise is "threatened" under the Endangered Species Act, any group that wants to use their habitat has to do proper mitigation. Fortunately or unfortunately, whether or not to deal with the species is not a call any group, including the military, can make. The ESA is pretty specific on such things. Even if Trump decided to ignore the law, enviros would have an injunction filed in about 12 minutes. The only solution is to revise the law.

Talk to solar companies to find out how much they've had to spend on dealing with the desert tortoise and the hoops they jump through developing a site. As the Governator once quipped, if you can't build solar in the desert where can you build it?

Of course the endangered and threatened species list is like the roach motel. Lots check in, none check out.

And because I can't resist, tortoises and turtles are different.

Tom
03-09-2016, 08:47 PM
The new "turdunken" A spotted owl in a turtle in a whale.

barahona44
03-09-2016, 08:51 PM
$413k to study the relationship between gender and glaciers. I kid you not. Read the last paragraph below.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/08/study-glaciers-varied-impact-on-men-women-cost-taxpayers-big-bucks.html?intcmp=hpbt4

The paper, titled “Glaciers, gender, and science" and authored by University of Oregon professor Mark Carey, found that “ice is not just ice” and called on scientists to take a “feminist political ecology and feminist postcolonial” approach when researching glaciers and climate change.

The study, which centers around "feminist glaciology," was published in January and was part of a nearly half million dollar federal grant, according to The Free Beacon and College Fix -- though it's unclear how much of the $412,930 in funds went specifically toward Carey's paper.

“Glaciers are key icons of climate change and global environmental change,” Carey wrote. “However, the relationships among gender, science, and glaciers -- particularly related to epistemological questions about the production of glaciological knowledge -- remain understudied."

"Merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology, the feminist glaciology framework generates robust analysis of gender, power and epistemologies in dynamic social-ecological systems, thereby leading to more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions,” the paper reads.
Huh?

OntheRail
03-10-2016, 12:47 AM
Since the desert tortoise is "threatened" under the Endangered Species Act, any group that wants to use their habitat has to do proper mitigation. Fortunately or unfortunately, whether or not to deal with the species is not a call any group, including the military, can make. The ESA is pretty specific on such things. Even if Trump decided to ignore the law, enviros would have an injunction filed in about 12 minutes. The only solution is to revise the law.

Talk to solar companies to find out how much they've had to spend on dealing with the desert tortoise and the hoops they jump through developing a site. As the Governator once quipped, if you can't build solar in the desert where can you build it?

Of course the endangered and threatened species list is like the roach motel. Lots check in, none check out.

And because I can't resist, tortoises and turtles are different.

I don't have an issue with saving the turtles... the cost to do so is WAY OUT OF LINE. And Trump would make a better deal or find TURTLE FREE LAND for the Marines to pound sand on. ;)

tucker6
03-10-2016, 06:08 AM
Huh?
Sorry, but if you have to ask what that means, well ... :lol:

If you read the article, some scientists thought the paper was a parody because of that paragraph. I wonder if HCAP has a graph for this human-ice interaction, and is it racy enough to be banned on this website.

HalvOnHorseracing
03-10-2016, 08:30 AM
I don't have an issue with saving the turtles... the cost to do so is WAY OUT OF LINE. And Trump would make a better deal or find TURTLE FREE LAND for the Marines to pound sand on. ;)
That is the other option!