PDA

View Full Version : Songbird vs Cathryn Sophia

Lemon Drop Husker
03-08-2016, 08:36 PM
In a match race, it would be very difficult for CS to beat SB. Really difficult.

Is there a 3YO Filly that can keep pace with Songbird to make her work hard enough for CS to roll home and beat SB in the Kentucky Oaks?

As interesting as the Kentucky Derby is, the Oaks has a lot of interest as well with 2 huge fillies leading the way and a potential foreigner in Polar River being a factor.

I'm stepping out on a limb here, but this kind of reminds me of a potential Rachel Alexandra vs. Zenyatta showdown for a couple of young and talented fillies. One that simply got on the engine, and to the lead, most times or not, and simply whipped the rest. The other that came from off the pace to get it done while breaking the hearts of her peers. Both in dramatic style and greatness.

I'm really looking forward to these two meeting up, in a legitimate race, at a legitimate distance to see who is best.

Who ya' got?

Mandrake
03-08-2016, 08:50 PM
It would be more interesting if it was Songbird versus the males but Porter won't go there. SB is a freak.

Lemon Drop Husker
03-08-2016, 08:53 PM
It would be more interesting if it was Songbird versus the males but Porter won't go there. SB is a freak.

Probably is. She just grinds out fractions like AP last year and keeps going.

Some speed horse that can get in front of her for more than a quarter mile is needed for CS to beat her.

However 9 panels will be a 1st for SB. I like wagering against 1sts when a horse is 1/5.

Mandrake
03-08-2016, 08:58 PM
9 panels? Has anyone really seen her run yet? All I have seen were jogs.

horses4courses
03-08-2016, 09:01 PM
I've read that some figures makers have Songbird
behind Cathryn Sophia, and at least one other.

Can anyone here confirm this?

Lemon Drop Husker
03-08-2016, 09:13 PM

I have them very very even at 1 1/16th with CS gaining ground.

With the visual of SB, I know that is wrong as she is always shut down late, sometimes even a full 1/16th shut down.

9 Panels should be interesting if there is some pace to make SB work for the first time in her entire racing career.

SG4
03-08-2016, 10:22 PM

In a thorograph preview of Songbird's race last weekend it mentioned that she rated as the 3rd fastest filly in the crop so far. I'm thinking Cathryn Sophia is on top, and would guess Carina Mia is #2 as her maiden win should've come up with a huge fig. After that debut winner at Gulfstream on Sunday put up a 103 beyer (in addition to the other firster running close with a 98) I wonder if Songbird has fallen even further on their top figs list. I'm not a sheets guy, but I wonder if the people who use them look at this very literally and would take an approach that Songbird is quite vulnerable going forward into the Oaks.

SG4
03-08-2016, 10:26 PM
As interesting as the Kentucky Derby is, the Oaks has a lot of interest as well with 2 huge fillies leading the way and a potential foreigner in Polar River being a factor.

I was hoping Polar River wouldn't come up on this board until after Oaks future wagering, as I thought she really had potential to be an upsetter & was hoping she'd stay under the radar. However her last race seemed subpar to a degree, and it looks like her connections have reconsidered making the Oaks a target. Probably will still take on the boys in the UAE Derby, will be interesting to see if that race changes their opinions once again. Colts in Dubai this year have failed to impress from what I've seen.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/98229/polar-river-to-pass-on-kentucky-oaks

azeri98
03-10-2016, 09:11 AM
I really think it will be tough for CS to keep up with Songbird, the last 2 races she has come off the pace to win, if another filly doesn't press Songbird and she goes a half in 47, forget it, its over.

tanner12oz
03-10-2016, 10:09 AM

I'm hoping she shows for the Preakness maybe

Parson
03-11-2016, 03:00 PM
Have I missed something? Polar River is scratched from Oaks Futures :confused:

classhandicapper
03-11-2016, 07:48 PM
It would be a great confrontation, but I think Songbird is the faster horse. Unless someone does the dirty work for Cathryn Sophia, I think Songbird would have the edge on an honest surface and wire her or put her away after a hard battle.