PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Racetrack Moments (or worst)

EMD4ME
03-08-2016, 07:19 PM
A thread about your favorite, 1, 2, 5, 100 racetrack moments.

To start it off:

I'll start this off with a "worst" moment.....You might not notice it but I am a humble guy. Hate people with ego's who are incapable of self humility or learning....

1996 A young pup has first car. 2 racetrack degenerates talk him into a trip to the old Keystone Park. He says ok.

On the way he (meaning me :lol: ) pays for all tolls, puts $10 bucks in the gas tank and off we go....

Young pup gets off to a rocket start but the problem, you see, IS.....it's the new era of simulcasting and this bottled up young pup figures theres sooooo many tracks that I can exploit. Let's crush them ALL!

After walking in with $200, young pup has $1400 or so in 2 hours. After attacking the dozen or so tracks available, young pup is now tilting at $400-$500.

He finds his 2 racetrack degenerates and asks, how are you doing? They both say we're still fighting, we have AMMO. Young pup asks if they will keep money for tolls and gas as young pup covered all that getting there (and drove his car).

They tell him, we left money in the car. NO WORRIES YOUNG PUP!

Young pup continues on his trek to Tilt Town. Yes, Tilt Town, not Thistle Down or Tinsle Town.

It's 8 p.m. Track empties out and young pup has exactly .20 cents left.

SRU, I know what you're thinking: DIME SUPER TO BAIL OUT. We didn't have that back then.

Young pup finds 2 racetrack degenerate acquaintances and says : I'm tapped, whenever your ready.

1st guy says: I'm broke. Whenever you're ready.

2nd guy says (in a smirk as he finds this hilarious-as he has ZERO life): I bet my last nickel.

Young pup says: Let's go but before we do let me ask you. How much did you leave in my car? 1st guy says: 2nd GUY, HOW MUCH DID YOU LEAVE IN THE CAR????????

2nd Guy: Laughing like a dork degenerate loser. Nothing.......I was kinda hoping this would happen as I don't want to go home.

Well after I chased him and punched him 10 times in the back and face (to teach him a lesson) and after 1st guy smacked him silly.....we had a dilemma to overcome.

It cost about $8 bucks in tolls to get home. And WE NEEDED another $6-$8 in gas....

I had or have never begged for money in my life SO the ultimatum was made.

Guy #1: You either beg the remaining 50-100 people here for a .25 each or I rip your clothes off and you walk home naked.

3 hours later, he had about $15 in dimes, nickels and quarters.

I made him pay the gas attendant with the change and had him turn the change into dollars at some point.

I learned a lot on that trip....NEVER AGAIN!

Redbullsnation
03-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Favorite: AP's triple crown/BC
Worst: Barbaro's pullup at Preakness

Tape Reader
03-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Brooklyn, fifty+years ago. Five kids at the candy store. We get a “reliable” tip. We decide to pool our resources and send the best fence climber in to make the bet (Aqueduct).

We are all outside in the parking lot and could see at the last turn that our “sure thing” was drawing away.

Matty, Matty, did you get the bet in? No. The horse took a shit approaching the gate so I didn’t bet. (RIP, Matty, great Guy.)

Mandrake
03-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Favorite, Carl Nafzger Francis Genter winning derby.
Worst, California Chrome nitwit owners losing Belmont.

DeltaLover
03-08-2016, 08:41 PM
The one I remember best (having a grand on her nose definitely serves as a memory boost :) )

http://i67.tinypic.com/108aa3d.jpg

Shemp Howard
03-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Penn National opening night 1972.

Rudy Turcotte burning up all the hick's cash as the beaten favorite multiple times.

Its been downhill ever since for that dump and is now the favorite home of gypsies, tramps, and thieves who only live once.

Lemon Drop Husker
03-08-2016, 09:07 PM
My best track memory is the 2003 Kentucky Derby.

"My" numbers and research had the 12/6/5/4 as the end result.

:6: Funny Cide was 13/1.

I had a silly $24 Super Box ticket that I offered up to my friends that were tagging along for the "day at the races", with 4/5/6/12. We all pitched in $6 clams.

As it ends, and after touting Funny Cide to the entire table who bought in, it was a very memorable stretch run.

Some stiff signed the Super, we split $2,400, and everybody had Funny Cide at 13/1. IF not a hero, I was one for 1 single day. :)

It wasn't a huge score, but to make well over 30 people more than happy at the day at the races,hell yeah, it was a great great day.

ReplayRandall
03-08-2016, 09:19 PM
It's 1990, I'm sitting in a nice booth, with 6 of my best friends in Vegas, at the Old Barbary Coast. Muggsy Muniz comes by to make sure we're being taken care of. We're all having a great time betting the Breeders' Cup from Belmont Park, the joint is packed and louder than I've ever heard it. There's a great race going on, the Distaff, and down the stretch they come!....it's Bayakoa, neck and neck with........Go For Wand........I still get choked-up talking about it, a scar that will never fade from my horseplayer's heart...

HalvOnHorseracing
03-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Royal Spouse trained by Mack Miller winning the first race at Saratoga at 12-1 on Whitney day 1971, and then Mack Miller's Protanto at 8-1 winning the Whitney. First time I ever bet at the track and I had both.

Secretariat winning the 1973 Belmont.

An anonymous and cheap horse named Hoosier Rob running second at 78-1 at Fort Erie but providing the inspiration for my original contribution to handicapping called The Condition Sign.

Affirmed, Alydar, Nasty and Bold in the 1978 Travers.

Forego willing himself by Honest Pleasure in the 1978 Marlboro Cup, perhaps the greatest race I've ever witnessed.

Thunder Gulch in the 1995 Derby at 25-1.

Monarchos, Invisible Ink, Congaree making up the trifecta in the 2001 Derby.

Tall One
03-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Couple faves, one tragedy, and the one that saved me..

1-Alysheba's Derby. Almost went down at the top of the lane, steadies himself, ears go up, McCarron gets him pointed straight, and gets into him with that wicked right hand whip. Lasting impression on a 13 year old kid.

2) 1989 Preakness. Loved Easy Goer. Enough said. Loved..LOVE. He's my avatar on the Twitter machine.

3) 1990..I was at Keeneland watching the simulcast when she broke down. And I don't need to go further.

4) AP Indy's Belmont and BCC wins. The big guy running with his head low, making up tons of ground on the turns of Belmont and Gulfstream, me screaming through the TV screen from home for Delahoussaye to stay low and not fall forward. Tears of joy still flow free when I watch, or think about these two races. Reason is, AP brought me back to the sport I love because after Go For Wand, I thought I'd never get it back. Im going to Lanes End end of this month to see my friend in his paddock. He doesn't know what he means to me, and the happiness he brought back. He soon will though. :ThmbUp:

Nice topic, EMD. Thanks for letting us put a couple things up.

HalvOnHorseracing
03-08-2016, 09:58 PM
One I forgot to mention.

Risen Star in the 1988 Preakness. I was playing in a hockey tournament in Chicago and on Friday night I dislocated my shoulder. If you've ever had a major joint dislocation, it is seriously painful, and I left the hospital with Valium and Percodan. Saturday the team had games in the morning, but we had the afternoon off so I convinced some of the guys to head out to Maywood because I had a good thing in the Preakness. So we're out at this small harness track and I tell everyone to bet Risen Star, despite having my arm strapped to my torso and being spaced out on the drugs. Risen Star wins at $15.60 and one of the guys who had never bet a horse race is so excited he slaps me on the back and I about go through the roof. Great party at the hotel that night.

zico20
03-08-2016, 10:57 PM
I have two very memorable experiences that changed my life. The first was when I was 19. I was leaving Fairmount at 11:30 at night. I was the last one out of the track. I was the only one left on the parking lot except one other car. I noticed that the guy was having trouble starting his car. I had around 1200 bucks on me. I debated for 5 minutes to help the guy or not. I was afraid I was going to get robbed. I decided to help him. We could not get his car started. I wind up driving him eight miles to the nearest hotel. Saw him a week later and we hit it off handicapping. 28 years later and we still go to the track together, one of the best decisions I have ever made at the track.

Second one was when I was 22. I took my future wife to be to the track on our first date. I was up around 60 dollars going into the last race and she had a couple of winners, betting two dollars of course. Last race she likes a horse because it was gray. I didn't like it at all. I was going to key a horse on top with five others for 20 bucks in the tri. Instead, I put her horse on top with the six horses I liked. I told her if she wins she would win a lot of money. Yes, you guessed it, the damn gray horse, at 14-1 I believe, won and keyed a 1150 dollar tri. She walked away with 575 dollars. She offered me half but I turned it down. I told her I would not have bet that horse if the horse himself told me he was going to win. She did pay for a late dinner we had. :jump: The rest is history.

HalvOnHorseracing
03-08-2016, 11:23 PM
Second one was when I was 22. I took my future wife to be to the track on our first date. I was up around 60 dollars going into the last race and she had a couple of winners, betting two dollars of course. Last race she likes a horse because it was gray. I didn't like it at all. I was going to key a horse on top with five others for 20 bucks in the tri. Instead, I put her horse on top with the six horses I liked. I told her if she wins she would win a lot of money. Yes, you guessed it, the damn gray horse, at 14-1 I believe, won and keyed a 1150 dollar tri. She walked away with 575 dollars. She offered me half but I turned it down. I told her I would not have bet that horse if the horse himself told me he was going to win. She did pay for a late dinner we had. :jump: The rest is history.
Nothing like barely dodging the IRS window. Your ticket may have been the one that kept the tri under $1200.

ultracapper
03-09-2016, 12:02 AM
June 1982. I'd only been playing about 3 weeks, Memorial Day being the first time I'd ever been to the track. This girl I knew, who would become my girlfriend about 8 months later, and my wife 2 1/2 years after that, are at Longacres. They only have $5 exactas in the 6th and 10th races. At this time, I'd never bet an exacta, only show bets mostly, across the board when I felt real brave. The 6th is coming up. We are doing what we called handicapping at that time. I like the 6 horse, which happens to be grey. She likes the 9, another grey. She's leaving to go to the window, and as she's walking away, she says "It's gonna be all grey". My very first experience at quick thinking at the track. Her horse is like 24/1, mine is 15/1. I run after her. "Hey Brenda, let's each put in $5 and box the exacta?". She has to think it over because another $5 is hitting both of us pretty hard. I mean, that's a beer and a half at that time. But she says, OK. Don't have to tell you what happened. $2350 exacta. She let's me sign. What a sweetheart.

Couple years later. Last race goes off, and I'm sitting in this section with about 10 tables or so. I'm the only one there, except on one of the tables, is a baby. Yes, like about 2 months old. In one of those hand baskets you carry babies around in. There is NOBODY in sight, in every direction, except me and this baby. I'm pretty buzzed by now, and I'm not sure what to do. So I sit there for like 10 minutes. Nothing. Nobody. Just me and this little baby. I'm kind of shitting now. Did somebody desert their baby at the track? I don't know what to do. Another few minutes pass, and nobody comes into the section I'm sitting in. No employees, no people, nobody. So I finally figure I have to leave. They're cleaning the place up and they're going to close, and I can't just leave this baby here. So I pick it up, and head to the teller windows. Nobody behind the counters. I go downstairs looking for an employee, anybody. Finally go up to the counter where I've been buying beer all day. Tell the gal, hey I found this baby up in the "corner" (Everybody knew what you meant by the corner in the north grandstand at Longacres). All the sudden we hear this guy screaming his head off, and a gal screaching to beat hell. They're screaming "We forgot our baby. Has anybody seen our baby?" The gal behind the counter I'm standing at yells to them. They come running over. The gal yanks the baby from me, and the guy gets up in my grill......and punches me. "WTF" he's yelling at me as I'm flat on the ground.

That was a great day at the track. I won a $3800 settlement about 9 months later.

Stillriledup
03-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Every day I've ever been to a racetrack was my favorite moment. Every day was a new and fresh challenge, nothing like getting to the track really early and taking in the sights and sounds, planning the days strategy in your head, mapping out some exotic tickets, being at the paddock before the first race knowing Race 1's horses are coming out soon with a coffee in hand.

I actually love being at tracks in pouring rain or other elements also and I enjoy when the place is empty. I would prefer it to be packed for the sake of the game, but if it's empty I'm going to enjoy having the 'run of the place', off weather never bothers me if I'm there live.

The worst moments are racing tragedies and bad beats and or DQs, you never get used to that stuff.

illinoisbred
03-09-2016, 08:20 AM
After becoming a regular or steady attendee back in 1982, the best moments have always been the days when most members of whatever group I happened to associate with at the time were also in attendance. The sharing of opinions,notes,data,friendly arguments/discussions, where no grudge was ever held afterwards just can't be beat. I rarely attend now, or since the advent of ADWs...maybe twice a season at Arlington. When I do go, I meetup with a group of Facebook friends. The 2 Pace Advantage get-togethers I attended were also fantastic days. It was great to put a face with a name,and a great bunch of Chicago area guys here...TBwinner,Striker, Goforgin,JD Hanover,Stuball, Thaskalos,Mostpost,..I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
The worst...Being in attendance at Sportsmans Park the day the very young apprentice Rodney Dickens was killed in a race mishap. Witnessing the horrible and life changing spills involving Rene Douglas and M. Straight are also days I wish never existed.

woodbinepmi
03-09-2016, 11:07 AM
I was six years old, just my mother and I (my father and brother were sick and had to stay home) went to Woodbine to see Secretariat run in the Canadian International.

azeri98
03-09-2016, 11:34 AM
I love racing, it has more ups than downs to me. The thing I cherish the most is watching a beautiful, elegant animal run like the wind, I have also made a few great relationships at the track. Some of Tom Durkin's calls and Dan Johnson's "Down the stretch they come" make my hairs stand on end.

v j stauffer
03-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Rare indeed were the times I went to the races as just a spectator.

The 2009 Breeders Cup at Santa Anita was one of those.

What a day!

Had a $50 exacta box in the dirt mile. Paid over $200 for $1.00. Can't remember both horses. I know Furthest Land was one of them.

Won the BC sprint as my rider Joel Rosario rode Dancing in Silks who got there by a nose. $2,000,000 purse.

Then capped it off with the " this is un-beee-lievable " call from Trevor as Queenie won the Classic.

Celebrated by going straight home and right to bed. Joel had six workers the next morning and Sunday was an entry day.

4:30 alarm not fun.

WORST: That's an easy one. Closing day at Hollywood Park. Dec 22 2013 :(

elhelmete
03-09-2016, 12:27 PM
These are my NON-WAGERING moments...

Best (2): After a project in Chicago I had 12 hours before flying back to Calif. I was offered seats in the family box of a friend I know from Del Mar. I took the train out to AP (a very enjoyable train ride) and picked up the tix. As it happened, my friend and his family couldn't meet me there so I was alone in the box. Well, I learned a lot about my friend by the way the employees and the box neighbors treated me, like a freaking king. And AP is just gorgeous in its own right.

The second was an afternoon I spent at Hollywood park during the last Friday night races. I got there super early and sat alone near the clubhouse turn with a cigar and the form and listened to some Tom Waits over the PA and nursed a beer and let the sunset sink in. Another guy seemed to be doing the same and I caught him eyeing the cigar so I gave him my 'spare.' Kinda a surreal afternoon.

Worst: twice taking a first-timer to the track who then witnessed a fatality close up (one breakdown, one cardiac incident). Two long quiet rides home.

Tall One
03-09-2016, 01:41 PM
I'd like to add one more to my list:

2001--TIZNOW WINS IT FOR AMERICA...!!

The call from Mr Durkin (Goosebumps and tears), and an interview I saw with McCarron about Tiznow--great job by TVG on that one--were both outstanding.

The part of the interview when McCarron described the stretch run in the Classic, when he felt Tiznow take a deeeeep breath, and dig down deep to find that last gear..he literally gave it all that day. Like he knew just how much that Classic meant to the Country....just wow. :jump:

God I love this game...

sandpit
03-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Watching top-class horses train has always left an impression on me: Tikkanen, Invasor, Cesario, Barbaro, Lure, Silver Charm, Zenyatta...they were all something to see in the mornings, basically telling anyone who saw them "I'm not gonna lose." Most of the time, they were all correct.

Lost in the Fog's tragic illness and death really left a huge void in racing for me.

VeryOldMan
03-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Favorite - my dad got tickets and took me to the 1977 Belmont (we lived in Massachusetts - he knew I was a huge racing fan) and saw Seattle Slew win the Triple Crown. We were in the upper grandstand - when Slew hit the stretch and it became apparent Slew was going to win, we could feel the grandstand flex ever so slightly up and down as the crowd was jumping and going crazy. To this day, I've never been at a better live sporting event. Gave me goosebumps then and the memory puts a smile on my face to this day.

ronsmac
03-09-2016, 03:33 PM
I'd like to add one more to my list:

2001--TIZNOW WINS IT FOR AMERICA...!!

The call from Mr Durkin (Goosebumps and tears), and an interview I saw with McCarron about Tiznow--great job by TVG on that one--were both outstanding.

The part of the interview when McCarron described the stretch run in the Classic, when he felt Tiznow take a deeeeep breath, and dig down deep to find that last gear..he literally gave it all that day. Like he knew just how much that Classic meant to the Country....just wow. :jump:

God I love this game...And how much it meant to me financially. Tiznow will always hold a place in my heart. He cost me a big payoff the year before and brought me one of my biggest payoffs that year

mistergee
03-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Seeing:

Seattle Slew at Hialeah

Turkoman at Hialeah

General Assembly at Saratoga

Oddity-Starter opens gate at Saratoga, all the horses are not in the gate, seemingly thousands of fans start scooping tickets off the ground

biggestal99
03-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Saturday March 1, 1975--the great day of my life bar none

I went to the track with some friends in celebration of my 18th bd.

Lost i believe my entire part-time paycheck, fell in love with the track
And haven't looked back since.

EMD4ME
03-09-2016, 07:27 PM
2004 Doubleheader-AQU or Belmont (don't remember) during the day. Picked up the girlfriend for a trip to the Meadowlands at night.

Head of security calls us over and says "Do you want to be on TV"? Not to me but to my girlfriend. She was extremely cute I must say.

They had a contest where your horse had to finish in front of the public handicapper's horse. If you won, you got another dinner, for free in the Pegasus.

I coached her and wrote down what to say as Ken or Sam or whoever was in charge would give her 20 seconds to say what she wanted to say about her pick.

I wrote: I see Campbell sending and securing a pocket spot. Hope the leader gets us to the lane and we tip off pocket cover for a burst home to win it.

She goes up there, freezes a bit and says: I like the color red and Cambbell is a good jockey (not driver).

Her horse finished last (she picked it) but we kept going back to the meadowlands time after time asking for a copy of that night's internal show....

Never got it sadly but the memory lives forever.

EMD4ME
03-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Aug of 2013.

Was alive in early pick 4 closing to 4 of 8 or something like that.

All paying real well ($2,000 or so for a buck). Had a voucher for $560 on me. Started with a $1000.

Pick 6 started in race 5 (end of pick 4). I mapped out 5 of 6 races. Went to the machine 5 min to post. It was a busy day, was busy entertaining people, had gone to the beach in the morning, packed room at the track, distractions etc.

Don't remember the numbers but I do remember that I punched in race 5's numbers, race 6's numbers, race 7's numbers, race 9's numbers and race 10's numbers as those were the races where I was confident.

I decided an all A caveman play was the way to go for that day. No need for A's B's C's as I didn't love 1 race more than the other.

I re looked at race 8. A 5 horse off the turfer. I punched in any number to make sure off my cost. It cost $200 or so a horse. I hated the Mclaughlin 4 horse, remember that. Thought of going with the remaining 3 runners (there were 5 horses but there was entry so just 4 betting interests).

I said to myself, that costs $600, I only have $560. 3 MTP, do I run to the ATM, pull a g note out and play? Can I cut another race down?

I decided that I hated Notacatbutallama and ducked the entry (along with Mclaughlin)

I hit all 5 of the remaining races. Notacatbutallama beat me in deep stretch (Mclaughlin horse was out) and the pick 6 paid about $200,000.....Got 2 conso's at $600 or so but that was garbage compared to the score that I pissed away.

I didn't know it at the time but it was the last time my aunt would be with me at the track. She had cancer and it got worse after that. Passed away while mom was clinging to life in the ICU last year.

My aunt was so upset. I wish I could've seen the look in her face if I would've just ran to the ATM, bought that leg (instead of using 2 of the 3 that I was supposed to use) and hit that damn pick 6.

Not for the money but to see her smile......

Tall One
03-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Favorite - my dad got tickets and took me to the 1977 Belmont (we lived in Massachusetts - he knew I was a huge racing fan) and saw Seattle Slew win the Triple Crown. We were in the upper grandstand - when Slew hit the stretch and it became apparent Slew was going to win, we could feel the grandstand flex ever so slightly up and down as the crowd was jumping and going crazy. To this day, I've never been at a better live sporting event. Gave me goosebumps then and the memory puts a smile on my face to this day.

Sharing a that moment in the sport's history with your father, especially Slew's Belmont/Triple Crown clincher is indeed very special.

Thanks for sharing, VOM.

Tom
03-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Best moment, our local big horse, Mountain Man, entered in a the Rochester Handicap, facing several very good horses from NYRA. He was fourth on the back stretch, and everyone was saying the race was about to be over when the heavy favorite, Terrible Tiger (?) forged to the lead and opened up a length going into the far turn. Off the turn and straightening away for the run home, he looked unbeatable, but, as the man said, Wait! There's more.

Mountain Man was gaining with every stride, and he put away all but the leader by the sixteenth pole. From there to the wire, he seemed to sprout wings, and as they crossed the wire, he was opening up daylight.

The place went nuts.

The worst moments - tied, Ruffian breaking down and Go For Wand in the Belmont stretch of the BC. And timely Writer going down. Heard that on the radio broadcast - glad I did not see it.

EMD4ME
03-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Saturday March 1, 1975--the great day of my life bar none

I went to the track with some friends in celebration of my 18th bd.

Lost i believe my entire part-time paycheck, fell in love with the track
And haven't looked back since.

I love it! :lol: What track was it?

jahura2
03-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Two best moments and both on the same day.
I had great undercover box seats for the 1st Breeders Cup at Churchill Downs on a cold, nasty dark day in November 1988.
Personal Ensign rallying in the last 1/8th to overcome what seemed to be an insurmountable lead by Winning Colors, allowing her to retire undefeated.
Alysheba, later on that card holding off Seeking the Gold in near darkness to win the Classic. Durkins call of "Alysheba Americas Horse Has done it" Still gives me goose bumps.
I try not to think of the worst moments but agree with Tom, Ruffian and Go for Wand and unfortunately I saw both on TV.

http://www.breederscup.com/sites/default/files/styles/hall-bg-frame/public/horses/88C019.jpg?itok=-ID2BnVY

biggestal99
03-10-2016, 10:54 AM
I love it! :lol: What track was it?

sorry should have included.

The Big A on the no longer running Aqueduct Special subway (42nd St. station still there unused now--along with the Hoyt-Schermerhorn station extra track)

Allan

EMD4ME
03-11-2016, 05:35 PM
I believe it was 2005. Went to Penn National with the GF on a weekend vacation to Omish Country.

Saturday played the Big T GIVING DAY Card that was running at AQU.

Rememer being alive in the PICK 4 for $2 bucks to 6/8 horses.

Bet $400 in covers to the 2 horses I don't have in exactas and tris.

Find myself an unattended bar on the 4th floor at the old PigPen so no jinxes can come near me.

I had hit an 11/1 shot and 30/1 (G Gomez up) and was sitting on tickets from $13,800 (Jerry Bailey's rail horse) to $50,000.

Right before the gate opens some stupid, sloppy, 300 LB, Hillbilly with about 3 1/2 teeth walks up right next to me. I run to the next TV.

Gate opens he comes around me. The 10 shoots out at 30/1. It seemed that 5 of my 6 horses BUMPED EACHOTHER AT THE F'N GATE. I start screaming someone go after this NY BRED. (It was an open N1X). I keep somewhat softly begging for anyone to push this horse.

Hillbilly says LOUDLY: DA TEeeeeeeeeeen is Deeeeeeed Cooooomee OOooooon stop RU Tin Ah Genst Hiiiiimmm, He Ain't Got Noh SHAAAAAT

The 10 kept finding and murdered my soul.

I cursed the hillbilly out from here to NY. I didn't care if I was getting murdered or attacked by 20 PA boys. I let him have it.

Pick 4 paid a ton, not sure, maybe $30-$40K.

I had ZERO covers as I blew the EX and TRI covers.

3 years later, I read Steven Christs book exotic wagering. Talks about a PICK 4 sequence that crushed his heart. Guess what....He was in the same situation as I, had most of the runners except the winner in the last (same card). HOWEVER, UNLIKE THIS IDIOT (ME), he bet $200 to win on the horses he didn't have.

He collected $6200 and wrote about how you can make money in the Pick 4 without hitting it :bang: :bang: :bang:

At least my honey was there for a few cocktails and a romantic weekend to help wash away my STUPIDITY!

The RED SOX had Bucky F'N Dent and I (and S Christ mildy) had Casper F'n Peterson..............

barahona44
03-11-2016, 05:42 PM
I believe it was 2005. Went to Penn National with the GF on a weekend vacation to Omish Country.

Saturday played the Big T GIVING DAY Card that was running at AQU.

Rememer being alive in the PICK 4 for $2 bucks to 6/8 horses.

Bet $400 in covers to the 2 horses I don't have in exactas and tris.

Find myself an unattended bar on the 4th floor at the old PigPen so no jinxes can come near me.

I had hit an 11/1 shot and 30/1 (G Gomez up) and was sitting on tickets from $13,800 (Jerry Bailey's rail horse) to $50,000.

Right before the gate opens some stupid, sloppy, 300 LB, Hillbilly with about 3 1/2 teeth walks up right next to me. I run to the next TV.

Gate opens he comes around me. The 10 shoots out at 30/1. It seemed that 5 of my 6 horses BUMPED EACHOTHER AT THE F'N GATE. I start screaming someone go after this NY BRED. (It was an open N1X). I keep somewhat softly begging for anyone to push this horse.

Hillbilly says LOUDLY: DA TEeeeeeeeeeen is Deeeeeeed Cooooomee OOooooon stop RU Tin Ah Genst Hiiiiimmm, He Ain't Got Noh SHAAAAAT

The 10 kept finding and murdered my soul.

I cursed the hillbilly out from here to NY. I didn't care if I was getting murdered or attacked by 20 PA boys. I let him have it.

Pick 4 paid a ton, not sure, maybe $30-$40K.

I had ZERO covers as I blew the EX and TRI covers.

3 years later, I read Steven Christs book exotic wagering. Talks about a PICK 4 sequence that crushed his heart. Guess what....He was in the same situation as I, had most of the runners except the winner in the last (same card). HOWEVER, UNLIKE THIS IDIOT (ME), he bet $200 to win on the horses he didn't have.

He collected $6200 and wrote about how you can make money in the Pick 4 without hitting it :bang: :bang: :bang:

At least my honey was there for a few cocktails and a romantic weekend to help wash away my STUPIDITY!

The RED SOX had Bucky F'N Dent and I (and S Christ mildy) had Casper F'n Peterson..............
Need subtitles, I don't speak Hillbillyese.

EMD4ME
03-11-2016, 05:43 PM
Need subtitles, I don't speak Hillbillyese.

He said:

The 10 is dead. Come on, stop rooting against him. He ain't got no shot.

EMD4ME
03-11-2016, 05:49 PM
To add:

I am not sure but I think I said: After his wise comment to me (about the 10 being dead) and before I blasted him.

"Is that you're professional opinion?" :rolleyes:

And, how much did you wager on this race, $2?

barahona44
03-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Thanks, I understood the very beginning and the 'got no shot' but nothing in between.

EMD4ME
03-11-2016, 05:54 PM
Thanks, I understood the very beginning and the 'got no shot' but nothing in between.

How do you think I felt? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Didn't want a soul around me, never mind a guy who made no bet (likely) and was dumber than dirt when it comes to horses.

thespaah
03-12-2016, 12:10 AM
It's 1990, I'm sitting in a nice booth, with 6 of my best friends in Vegas, at the Old Barbary Coast. Muggsy Muniz comes by to make sure we're being taken care of. We're all having a great time betting the Breeders' Cup from Belmont Park, the joint is packed and louder than I've ever heard it. There's a great race going on, the Distaff, and down the stretch they come!....it's Bayakoa, neck and neck with........Go For Wand........I still get choked-up talking about it, a scar that will never fade from my horseplayer's heart...
Yeah.....I was at Belmont that day....Never heard so much silence from 70,000 people before....

thespaah
03-12-2016, 12:24 AM
Best...Watching my friend's mom scream "COME ON STEVIE" as Affirmed and Alydar hit the wire together in the '78 Belmont....Watched that on TV
Worst....1990 BC Distaff.
Yeah, I just HAD to pick that one to go to .......
Best on track....Getting to see John Henry beat the snot out of much younger foes....
One of my favs was the '84 Turf Classic when as a 9 year old JH showed 'em his hind shoes.....