PDA

View Full Version : New computer

Actor
03-08-2016, 02:54 PM
I got up Saturday morning and found that my computer would not boot up. After failing to fix it myself I called my favorite Geek who advised that it was not seeing the hard drive. I then took it to the store where I bought it and was told the same thing. Their estimate of repair was more than I paid for it two years ago. So I bought a new computer.

As usual with a new computer it's been a pain to set up. All my email is gone as are my bookmarks.

One problem that has come up is that I cannot see videos that are posted on the forum. I get the message "A plugin is needed to display this content." That's it. It does not say what plugin or where I can get it. It seems to be a problem associated with PA only, but I'm still checking that. Videos on You Tube show just fine. Any suggestions?

HoofedInTheChest
03-08-2016, 03:28 PM
You may need to install the proper codecs. I assume you are running Windows 10 on the new computer?

Actor
03-08-2016, 04:30 PM
You may need to install the proper codecs.You lost me. :confused:
I assume you are running Windows 10 on the new computer?That's what it came with.

098poi
03-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Don't throw out your old PC. I don't know if your guy checked to see if you can get data off of your old drive or not. Try right clicking on the video and see if it says anything telling like About Adobe Flash Player or something and maybe that will tell you what it it is looking for. I haven't used W10 yet.

whodoyoulike
03-08-2016, 04:47 PM
A little late advice but you should check out Gmail, Hotmail and I think Yahoo mail (I use ATT.net which uses Yahoo) and you won't lose emails when changing computers. I went that route and learned a lesson.

I have Win10 and haven't had a video problem viewing PA video links.

MONEY
03-08-2016, 05:19 PM
I have lots of problems with the browser that comes with windows 10, (Windows Edge), no problems with Google Chrome.

HoofedInTheChest
03-08-2016, 05:25 PM
I can't say with any certainty that this is your problem, but a freshly installed operating system does not have all the necessary codecs to play every format of audio and video files. It could come down to a simple setting that needs to be changed in your internet browser, i don't know without seeing the computer. Which internet browser are you using when you have this problem?

- it could be an internet browser setting
- it could be a Adobe Flash problem
- it could be a javascript problem

Here is a link to better explain what codecs are all about...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/codecs-frequently-asked-questions#codecs-frequently-asked-questions=windows-7

I personally use "Sharks" codec pack on my computer that has W7 installed, here is a link to those codecs.

http://shark007.net/win8codecs.html

Actor
03-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Downloaded and installed Adobe Flash Player and that fixed it. :jump:

Thanks, thanks, thank you very much!

whodoyoulike
03-08-2016, 05:51 PM
I should have mentioned my Win10 was an upgrade from Win8.1 which already had Adobe Flash Player.

098poi
03-08-2016, 06:13 PM
This surprises me a bit. You'd think by now W10 would come ready to go for common internet usage. Who knows.

Actor
03-11-2016, 05:01 PM
A little late advice but you should check out Gmail, Hotmail and I think Yahoo mail (I use ATT.net which uses Yahoo) and you won't lose emails when changing computers. I went that route and learned a lesson.

I have Win10 and haven't had a video problem viewing PA video links.Just now I got my bookmarks and me email back. Just a case of finding the backup files.

woodtoo
03-11-2016, 06:07 PM
I wish I had your luck :ThmbUp:

whodoyoulike
03-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Just now I got my bookmarks and me email back. Just a case of finding the backup files.

You should still consider using one of the browser emails which won't store emails on a specific computer. You'll be able to access them from another computer. I lost a number of emails when my computer circuits got fried (smoke and everything) and the hard drive was unrecoverable per Geek Squad. Since you were able to recover your emails, email the important ones to yourself i.e., gmail, hotmail etc. Actually, I use all three of the browsers which I previously mentioned for different uses.