PDA

View Full Version : Conor Mcgregor and Holly Holm

ronsmac
03-06-2016, 11:50 PM
No comments on these two losses? Dana White has to be kicking himself in the ass for making Conor fight at 170. I'm glad to see Meisha win. She deserved a title shot , but this really puts a damper on a Rousey - Holm rematch.

Stillriledup
03-07-2016, 12:29 AM
It makes the sport look honest though.

HoofedInTheChest
03-07-2016, 04:50 PM
This really comes as no surprise, for anyone that bets the UFC knows the underdog wins more often than not. Another PPV, another positive return with this angle.

azeri98
03-07-2016, 05:05 PM
This really comes as no surprise, for anyone that bets the UFC knows the underdog wins more often than not. Another PPV, another positive return with this angle.
Agree, if there is a title fight bet the dog, a few years ago you would have gotten killed betting against Silva and St-Pierre but these days the champs can't hold onto their belts.

proximity
03-07-2016, 05:13 PM
No comments on these two losses? Dana White has to be kicking himself in the ass for making Conor fight at 170. I'm glad to see Meisha win. She deserved a title shot , but this really puts a damper on a Rousey - Holm rematch.

i think conor should train triathlon style like the diaz brothers before he outgrows the weight class because i think rda woulda wrecked him.

holly holm was winning the fight.

kingfin66
03-07-2016, 11:42 PM

The UFC and MMA are not a popular topic here at Pace Advantage. I happen to be a big fan. Neither win surprised me that much, but I would put the Diaz win as the bigger challenge due to his not having had a chance to have a training camp. Three days is nowhere near enough (Note: It was ten days total from announcement to fight, but a week of that was spent on fight business).

There are just a ton of ways for fighters to lose MMA fights. The Holm fight was a great example. Holm had the fight in hand until she made critical mistakes when it counted. Miesha knew she was in trouble and threw caution to the wind, got the fight to the ground and sunk in the choke. I wish more fighters would take the approach that she did when a finish is the only option. She was prepared to risk going out "Ronda style" rather than just lose another round. She is clearly not the most talented fighter, but she really does get the most out of her ability.

In most circumstances, I would think that Diaz would be favored against McGregor. He is a very talented fighter and had the skill edge on McGregor. McGregor's game is movement and explosiveness. He paid the price for going for the knockout time and time again. The knock on Diaz, and his brother for that matter, are that he does not evolve his game. He is a BJJ black belt and a scrappy boxer. What I did not give him enough credit for was his intelligence and ability to have a game plan.

Diaz knew that conditioning would be the issue against McGregor. What did he do? He let McGregor punch himself out and also mitigated the striking advantage by absorbing the strikes in the best way possible. Watch the nuance of his movement and stance widening to diffuse the blows. He also turned away as the blows landed. They still did damage, but nowhere near as much as they do to most fighters. When McGregor ran out of steam, he took the fight to the area where Diaz had the huge advantage.

The biggest winner is Diaz. He went from a pretty irrelevant fighter who at one point was out of the top 15 at lightweight to a potential title shot at welterweight. I don't think he should get the shot because Tyrone Woodley has earned it. Condit is also deserving of a rematch. What I would like to see is a #1 contender match with Woodley while Condit gets the rematch. He could also fight Eddie Alvarez at lightweight. He has big options.

Rousey and McGregor are still the biggest stars of the UFC. What the UFC lost was their biggest fight ever - it is widely speculated that GSP was in attendance and would have come into the octagon to challenge McGregor had he won. That fight would have taken place at UFC 200. Rousey now gets back into the mix and an instant title shot against Miesha. My guess is that Miesha's title will be short lived.

McGregor goes back to featherweight and a likely fight against Frankie Edgar. That is a great match up IMO.

Robert Fischer
03-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Connor Mcgregor looked like crap in the pre-fight hype.

Looked like he had been living a hard lifestyle.

Thought about the fact that since he was the only one of the 2 fighters in that match that I had heard of, that he was probably favored in the fight odds.... Thought he would probably lose in a fair contest...
I don't know much about these fights and I have never placed a wager on them. Was just a passing thought when I happened to see some pre-fight hype.

ronsmac
03-09-2016, 11:41 AM
The UFC and MMA are not a popular topic here at Pace Advantage. I happen to be a big fan. Neither win surprised me that much, but I would put the Diaz win as the bigger challenge due to his not having had a chance to have a training camp. Three days is nowhere near enough (Note: It was ten days total from announcement to fight, but a week of that was spent on fight business).

There are just a ton of ways for fighters to lose MMA fights. The Holm fight was a great example. Holm had the fight in hand until she made critical mistakes when it counted. Miesha knew she was in trouble and threw caution to the wind, got the fight to the ground and sunk in the choke. I wish more fighters would take the approach that she did when a finish is the only option. She was prepared to risk going out "Ronda style" rather than just lose another round. She is clearly not the most talented fighter, but she really does get the most out of her ability.

In most circumstances, I would think that Diaz would be favored against McGregor. He is a very talented fighter and had the skill edge on McGregor. McGregor's game is movement and explosiveness. He paid the price for going for the knockout time and time again. The knock on Diaz, and his brother for that matter, are that he does not evolve his game. He is a BJJ black belt and a scrappy boxer. What I did not give him enough credit for was his intelligence and ability to have a game plan.

Diaz knew that conditioning would be the issue against McGregor. What did he do? He let McGregor punch himself out and also mitigated the striking advantage by absorbing the strikes in the best way possible. Watch the nuance of his movement and stance widening to diffuse the blows. He also turned away as the blows landed. They still did damage, but nowhere near as much as they do to most fighters. When McGregor ran out of steam, he took the fight to the area where Diaz had the huge advantage.

The biggest winner is Diaz. He went from a pretty irrelevant fighter who at one point was out of the top 15 at lightweight to a potential title shot at welterweight. I don't think he should get the shot because Tyrone Woodley has earned it. Condit is also deserving of a rematch. What I would like to see is a #1 contender match with Woodley while Condit gets the rematch. He could also fight Eddie Alvarez at lightweight. He has big options.

Rousey and McGregor are still the biggest stars of the UFC. What the UFC lost was their biggest fight ever - it is widely speculated that GSP was in attendance and would have come into the octagon to challenge McGregor had he won. That fight would have taken place at UFC 200. Rousey now gets back into the mix and an instant title shot against Miesha. My guess is that Miesha's title will be short lived.

McGregor goes back to featherweight and a likely fight against Frankie Edgar. That is a great match up IMO.I didn't know much about Nate. I remember Nick being pretty good a few years back. When I heard Nate talk, I thought he sounded a little punch drunk but I loved his confidence coming into the fight.

kingfin66
03-10-2016, 01:33 AM
I link both of the Diaz brothers are actually introverts. They often seem either reluctant to speak or self conscious about their ability to articulate thoughts. They both have a tendency to act erratic; Nate inside the octagon and Nick outside. When Nate fought Benson Henderson for the lightweight title on Fox, the network had to continually switch to a wide still frame shot because Diaz repeatedly gave Henderson the double bird.

If you like to dive a little bit into the science within the fights, check out this article on Bloody Elbow. They have great writers. This particular article is brilliant.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/3/7/11170434/ufc-196-judo-chop-defying-the-storm-how-nate-diaz-beat-conor-mcgregor

Stillriledup
04-22-2016, 03:20 AM
mcgregor unloads.

epic

https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1260441947357435

HoofedInTheChest
04-22-2016, 04:28 AM
mcgregor unloads.

epic

https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1260441947357435
Excuses are for losers.

HoofedInTheChest
05-15-2016, 01:33 AM
UFC 198 brings another positive return while betting the “Dog”.

12 Fights with 1 draw.

Fave = 6 Winners

Dog = 5 Winners

Dog returns $1.39 per $1 wagered.

Fave returns $0.73 per $1 wagered.

Zero Handicapping..... priceless!

HoofedInTheChest
05-15-2016, 01:35 AM
UFC 198 brings another positive return while betting the “Dog”.

12 Fights with 1 draw.

Fave = 6 Winners

Dog = 5 Winners

Dog returns $1.39 per $1 wagered.

Fave returns $0.73 per $1 wagered.

Zero Handicapping..... priceless!