PDA

View Full Version : Pat Conroy, RIP

reckless
03-05-2016, 08:04 AM
Sad to post that the great Southern writer, Pat Conroy, died yesterday at 70. Last year, Conroy was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Conroy wrote well-known novels The Great Santini, The Prince of Times, The Lords of Discipline, and more, including a personal favorite, The Water Is Wide.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/05/books/pat-conroy-who-wove-his-family-strife-into-novels-of-carolina-dies-at-70.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

RunForTheRoses
03-05-2016, 09:03 AM
I never read any of his books or so the movie adaptations, seem interesting though and will check out. Love this quote from his father in the NYTs article:

Literary fame did not win Mr. Conroy any points with his father. When asked by an Atlanta magazine to identify who read his son’s books, the elder Mr. Conroy replied, “That’s easy: psychiatrists, homosexuals, extreme liberals and women.”

LOL, he would have been at home on PA Off Topic.

Grits
03-05-2016, 12:48 PM
My favorite author. He wrote with an incredible depth of spirit, of family, of love and forgiveness that was honest and Southern to its core. The oldest of 7 children, he grew up a military brat, moving endlessly. The son of a fighter pilot who was terribly abusive to his wife and his children. .... Prince of Tides was outstanding, but of his books which weren't numerous, my own favorite, the best book I've ever read--is still--Beach Music.

Released this morning I really like this quote, one from his family, his friends, his readers (of which I've been, for many years, having all of his works.)

Rest in peace, Pat. Heaven gains an easy and generous soul. :(

There are rare people whose very existence make life bearable for the rest of us for reasons of grace, wisdom and understanding. Pat was such a man.

reckless
03-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Nice post Grits. As a northerner born in the south -- South Bronx, that is, you captured Pat Conroy much more meaningfully than I ever could, by far.

For those interested, but not inclined to read 400+ page novels by him, try the Pat Conroy Cook Book. You'll learn alot about him, the South, food, and the greatest man who ever lived.

pandy
03-05-2016, 03:50 PM
I believe Nick Nolte won an academy award for his performance in The Prince of Tides, which was directed by Barbara Streisand. The film was nominated for best picture but Barbara S was not nominated for best director, which was an odd snub by the academy. Very good movie based on the author's book about his life.