PDA

View Full Version : Gotham Stakes

PowerUpPaynter
03-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Good Day,

Figured Id start a thread for this race.Not the greatest race but interested to see Shagaf and Sunny Ridge.

Cheers

EMD4ME
03-02-2016, 07:53 PM
Good Day,

Figured Id start a thread for this race.Not the greatest race but interested to see Shagaf and Sunny Ridge.

Cheers

Adventist is THE horse I am most intrigued with.

Against a monster bias 1st out (in my eyes).

Ran a super race in his 2nd start.

Excited to see how he does Saturday.

ReplayRandall
03-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Good Day,

Cheers

Sunny Ridge is spotting the entire field 7 LBS. I guess that's the impost for being a gelding.......or being from New Jersey... :cool:

Race 9
4:50 PM
Exacta, Trifecta (.50), Super (.10), Double Wagers

STAKES Gotham S.

Purse $400,000 INNER DIRT FOR THREE YEAR OLDS.One And One Sixteenth Miles (Inner track)

1 Laoban (KY) 3/C L A T. Gryder 116 E J. Guillot
2 Shagaf (KY) 3/C L I Ortiz, Jr. 116 C C. Brown
3 Adventist (KY) 3/C L K Carmouche 116 L Gyarmati
4 Vincento (NY) 3/C L A S. Arroyo 116 R R. Rodriguez
5 Mo Power (KY) 3/C L J R. Velazquez 116 T A. Pletcher
6 Conquest Big E (KY) 3/C L J L. Ortiz 116 M E. Casse
7 Sunny Ridge (NJ) 3/G L M Franco 123 J Servis
8 Rally Cry (KY) 3/C L J Alvarado 116 T A. Pletcher

EMD4ME
03-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Sunny Ridge is spotting the entire field 7 LBS. I guess that's the impost for being a gelding.......or being from New Jersey... :cool:

Race 9
4:50 PM
Exacta, Trifecta (.50), Super (.10), Double Wagers

STAKES Gotham S.

Purse $400,000 INNER DIRT FOR THREE YEAR OLDS.One And One Sixteenth Miles (Inner track)

1 Laoban (KY) 3/C L A T. Gryder 116 E J. Guillot
2 Shagaf (KY) 3/C L I Ortiz, Jr. 116 C C. Brown
3 Adventist (KY) 3/C L K Carmouche 116 L Gyarmati
4 Vincento (NY) 3/C L A S. Arroyo 116 R R. Rodriguez
5 Mo Power (KY) 3/C L J R. Velazquez 116 T A. Pletcher
6 Conquest Big E (KY) 3/C L J L. Ortiz 116 M E. Casse
7 Sunny Ridge (NJ) 3/G L M Franco 123 J Servis
8 Rally Cry (KY) 3/C L J Alvarado 116 T A. Pletcher

Thoughts on race RR? I have some opinions but wanted to open the floor up to you first.

f2tornado
03-03-2016, 01:16 PM
This race does not interest me much. I do think Rally Cry has the most room to improve and offer a mild price. Maybe play a small :8: / :2: , :7: trifecta.

magwell
03-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Good Day,

CheersIt has big interest for me since I got Shagaf at 30-1 in Vegas, for the big dance 1st week in May....;)

ReplayRandall
03-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Thoughts on race RR? I have some opinions but wanted to open the floor up to you first.

Let me be the fool first, eh? Alright, here's what I see at a first glance:

:1: Laoban- Ducks San Felipe 3-12 for here? What, can't finish 2nd there? OUT
:2: Shagaf- Didn't try FOY, ducks TB Derby 3-12 for here? OUT
:3: Adventist- Doesn't instill confidence when "Raced green;shied whip" in last, but is NY based, home field +.....chances= ??
:4: Vincento- Don't understand non-TC horse goes here, but is Rudy trained and AQU based with nice win over inner- Wild Card at big $$$
:5: Mo Power- Why not stay in FLA? Johnny V does come with horse though- Wild Card at small $- Not in, not out
:6: Conquest Big E- Ducks FLA races to come here- uninspiring, OUT
:7: Sunny Ridge- Gives 7 LBS to the field- No Value here- OUT
:8: Rally Cry- Just like Shagaf- Didn't try FOY, ducks TB Derby 3-12..OUT

Not a race I would invest a ton of money in.....A few bucks on LS Vincento, maybe an exacta key with Adventist and Mo Power, but honestly, a PASS for me.

azeri98
03-03-2016, 02:53 PM
I like Rally Cry in this field.

Redboard
03-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Conquest Big E had a rough trip last out. Might be worth a play.

EMD4ME
03-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Let me be the fool first, eh? Alright, here's what I see at a first glance:

:1: Laoban- Ducks San Felipe 3-12 for here? What, can't finish 2nd there? OUT
:2: Shagaf- Didn't try FOY, ducks TB Derby 3-12 for here? OUT
:3: Adventist- Doesn't instill confidence when "Raced green;shied whip" in last, but is NY based, home field +.....chances= ??
:4: Vincento- Don't understand non-TC horse goes here, but is Rudy trained and AQU based with nice win over inner- Wild Card at big $$$
:5: Mo Power- Why not stay in FLA? Johnny V does come with horse though- Wild Card at small $- Not in, not out
:6: Conquest Big E- Ducks FLA races to come here- uninspiring, OUT
:7: Sunny Ridge- Gives 7 LBS to the field- No Value here- OUT
:8: Rally Cry- Just like Shagaf- Didn't try FOY, ducks TB Derby 3-12..OUT

Not a race I would invest a ton of money in.....A few bucks on LS Vincento, maybe an exacta key with Adventist and Mo Power, but honestly, a PASS for me.

No way LOL RR. I respect your opinion, that's why. I'll chime in later when I have the appropriate time.

Lemon Drop Husker
03-03-2016, 07:47 PM
I tried my hardest for 45 minutes to find a single horse in this race that I liked.

I couldn't find one, and will invest no more time on it.

Shagaf could be a nice horse, but I'm not willing to take the risk on the short odds.

ultracapper
03-04-2016, 11:44 AM
The 7 lbs must be for a stake win, or graded stake win. I'd guess the weights for the race is 123, so many lbs for not winning a stake since......, additional weight off for not winning a stake ever, and so on.

Something like that I'd guess.

ultracapper
03-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Just looked at Equibase and they have absolutely no reference to weights at all. Somebody scrolled past that field when filling out the entry page or something.

Tee
03-04-2016, 05:21 PM
I am interested in Mo Power. Price should be right, shall see what he has talent / class wise tomorrow afternoon.

Ocala Mike
03-05-2016, 03:46 AM
I'm smelling a price - :4: or :1: .

NorCalGreg
03-05-2016, 09:29 AM
You guys are all forgetting one little small detail:

PACE MATCHUP.....this is one of the most top-heavy speed-laden fields I've seen lately. When the big shots, the E-P's, the classy Sunny Ridges and Adventist' fold up under that extreme pace pressure---my upset special

:4: VINCENTO @ 20-1 ML....will be right there to pick them all off.

Seriously, at the huge price this one is going to go off at--the best value on the board.

good luck

-NCG

Parson
03-05-2016, 09:40 AM
:1: -Laoban has gone from the west coast where he was a well beaten in his debut, shipped to LRC for a place against lesser competition, shipped back to SA for a G3 show in the Sham Stakes. IMHO I do not see this one hitting the board

:2: -Shagaf is the m/l favorite @ 3/1. Has an excellent horeseman for a trainer in Chad Brown. Has a very good rider in one of the Ortiz brothers and has a win over this track. It will be difficult to throw this one out. The last time out he layed just off the pace until he broke clear about the 3/8 pole and finished 2 ahead of the place horse. Take look in the post parade.

:3: -Adventist is another that has experience over the NY inner dirt. He finished less than 2 lengths behind the 7 in the dreadfully slow Withers on Jan. 30. He does have a nice blow out last week. He will have to show me more to get any monetary support from me.

:4: -Vincento is a headscratcher here for me. This is a derby prep and you enter a horse that is not nominated yet? Not unheard of but definitely not common. Also the meet leading trainer, Rodriguez, knows where to place his horses. There are many questions on this one, but if he runs like is 2nd back, he will be in the money and with the m/l @ 20-1 it might be worth wagering a few nickles.

:5: -Mo Power is neck from being undefeated entering here today. The connections of TAP and JohnnyV are hard to ignore, especially at 6-1. Watch closely

:6: -Conquest Big E disappointed in the Holly Bull at Gulfstream and Mark Casse said he did not like the FL heat. He does pick up the other Ortiz brother. I do not see him getting the win but one to include underneath.

:7: -Sunny Ridge is the 2nd choice on the m/l and has been very consistent for such a young colt. I really like this one here today. the only concern is will he be too far back off the pace to catch them in the stretch. I think it will be a contested pace and I look for this one to move forward from mid pack about the 3/8 pole and pull away in the last parts of the stretch.

:8: -Rally Cry is the other TAP entry. He ships from Miami gains Jr. as his rider. Could be dangerous if he gets on the lead by himself and is able to run like he did the day after Christmas maybe wire this field,but I don't see that happening here today but this one could pick up a piece of the tri or super.

I am going to key the :7: and build a ticket like this

:7: / :2: :4: :6: :8: / :1: :2: :4: :6: :8:
I hope everyone has a good day.

EMD4ME
03-05-2016, 09:56 AM
You guys are all forgetting one little small detail:

PACE MATCHUP.....this is one of the most top-heavy speed-laden fields I've seen lately. When the big shots, the E-P's, the classy Sunny Ridges and Adventist' fold up under that extreme pace pressure---my upset special

:4: VINCENTO @ 20-1 ML....will be right there to pick them all off.

Seriously, at the huge price this one is going to go off at--the best value on the board.

good luck

-NCG

One thing this horse absolutely hates, IS KICKBACK and racing on the rail. If this horse can work out a trip off the pace, no kickback and mostly off the rail but not too wide, this one has a good shot to bounce back at a good price.

Redboard
03-05-2016, 10:54 AM
One thing this horse absolutely hates, IS KICKBACK and racing on the rail. If this horse can work out a trip off the pace, no kickback and mostly off the rail but not too wide, this one has a good shot to bounce back at a good price.

One thing I’m scratching my head over with this horse is, why did the trainer bring him back with only five days rest after his victory on 1/31? It seems like a stupid thing to do. If I owned a 3YrOld that won a n1x in January with a big speed figure I would have Derby stars in my eyes and wouldn’t want to ruin him with a quick turnaround. Somebody explain it to me.

EMD4ME
03-05-2016, 11:17 AM
One thing I’m scratching my head over with this horse is, why did the trainer bring him back with only five days rest after his victory on 1/31? It seems like a stupid thing to do. If I owned a 3YrOld that won a n1x in January with a big speed figure I would have Derby stars in my eyes and wouldn’t want to ruin him with a quick turnaround. Somebody explain it to me.

Because maybe certain chemicals only last in the system for a few days?

IDK

Robert Fischer
03-05-2016, 12:02 PM
:2:Shagaf is 3-1 ml. I'm guessing that this was simply a poorly constructed ml and that he'll be 9-5 or 8-5. Not only is he clearly the class of the field, he's also going to be the easy default for the public (supertrainer, easily beat the other supertrainer last time etc..). This horse has a great chance today in this weak field, but has yet to show Grade 1 talent.

:7:Sunny Ridge is a typical Jason Servis stakes horse for these type of races, and he certainly draws into a great opportunity here. Unfortunately for bettors, this model of horse is generally 10-1 or greater. He's already compiled enough of a record that he should be somewhere in the top4 public choices, possibly 2nd choice.

:8:Rally Cry has some brilliance, but has the issue with the footwork in the stretch. He pretty much needs to be sent to the lead due to his shortcomings. Drawing outside gives further incentive to do so. There's a small chance that could put him in the exacta or tri.

:1:Loaban has some early speed. That doesn't hurt in a spot like this. Could hang around for a minor award.

The Play: I guess you watch Shagaf's odds. However, the horse is so obvious that higher odds is not necessarily a good sign. If he's 5/2 or higher, he's 'cold' on the board. Good luck.

Tom
03-05-2016, 04:00 PM
:3: Adventist
:8: Rally cry
:4: Vincento

EMD4ME
03-05-2016, 04:15 PM
:3: Adventist
:8: Rally cry
:4: Vincento

They might as well make the Gotham a 1/16 of a mile race with the way the track is playing.

Robert Fischer
03-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Shagaf opens @ 6/5...

depalma113
03-05-2016, 04:43 PM

So a horse trying to pick up important points for a start in the Kentucky Derby can have his chances compromised by a racing secretary in an entirely different racing jurisdiction.

That seems fair.

Tee
03-05-2016, 04:47 PM
I am interested in Mo Power. Price should be right, shall see what he has talent / class wise tomorrow afternoon.

Switching gears with the scratch of Mo Power.

:3: Adventist looked good on the track. Hopefully he is progressing between the ears with each race under his belt.

lamboguy
03-05-2016, 04:49 PM
i am going with RALLY CRY

EMD4ME
03-05-2016, 04:55 PM
This could be a good derby contender.

Won despite the ride by Irad. Only horse to gain an inch against this intense speed/rail bias.

Irad broke up top and refused to take the rail with the lead, was intent on sitting in the pocket. Good rally off the rail in the lane.

Adventist, another won I want to play back. Good run against this track as well.

EDIT: Can't blame Irad, C Brown said it was the plan to rate, despite the track.

Lemon Drop Husker
03-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Crap field.

Yeah, there was definitely a speed bias at the Duct today, but still, the :1: is an also ran on the West Coast and nearly pulled off the 15/1 upset while it took everything :2: Shagaf had to beat him at the wire.

Shagaf didn't have a great trip, but I was hoping he'd show much more down the lane.

Grits
03-05-2016, 05:04 PM
This could be a good derby contender.

Won despite the ride by Irad. Only horse to gain an inch against this intense speed/rail bias.

Irad broke up top and refused to take the rail with the lead, was intent on sitting in the pocket. Good rally off the rail in the lane.

Adventist, another won I want to play back. Good run against this track as well.

EDIT: Can't blame Irad, C Brown said it was the plan to rate, despite the track.

EMD, I was nervous that final 1/16th.

EMD4ME
03-05-2016, 05:06 PM
EMD, I was nervous that final 1/16th.

Yeah...... :ThmbUp:

Even if that was Forego at the 1/8 pole, with the way this track is a conveyor belt, I'd STILL be nervous that the speed would hold on.

Heck, if I was on the lead in a 200 pound horse suit, I'd think I'd have a shot to hold on :D :D :D :D

Lemon Drop Husker
03-05-2016, 05:08 PM

Even if that was Forego at the 1/8 pole, with the way this track is a conveyor belt, I'd STILL be nervous that the speed would hold on.

Heck, if I was on the lead in a 200 pound horse suit, I'd think I'd have a shot to hold on :D :D :D :D

I never play the 'Duct, but that had to be one of the strongest speed biased days in a long long time, right?

EMD4ME
03-05-2016, 05:13 PM
I never play the 'Duct, but that had to be one of the strongest speed biased days in a long long time, right?

I would say so. I'm not just talking about horses on the lead but horse's off the pace were incapable of rallying whatsoever.

CincyHorseplayer
03-05-2016, 05:36 PM

Instant Classic there! Love it! :lol: