PDA

View Full Version : PaceMakesTheRace: Check out The Brain

Dave Schwartz
03-01-2016, 11:12 AM
We're experimenting with a new interface for searching articles on our website. Just scroll down below the fold and take a look.

I am sure that a few of you will say, "What the hell is THAT?" But give it a chance and I think you will be amazed it its capabilities.

It (literally) links everything on the site to everything else. Thus, if you're looking for articles relating to Pace Handicapping, look in "Categories" or "Tags."

If you want to really test the search functions, just type directly into the search box in the lower left corner. Every word, in every title, of every article is index.

The instructions for navigation are below the "Home Thought"

mickey_arnold
03-01-2016, 12:06 PM
Great job, Dave....Well thought out and both efficient and effective...

How would you like comments and suggestions be forwarded to you? This site or personal e-mail?

Did you use specialized software (exclusive of the graphics) for the cataloging and indexing process?

Your search component is, at present, restricted to item title..... Any search ability planned for item content?

All the best,
Mickey

mickey_arnold
03-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Oops..., overlooked the mentioning of "The Brain"...I had what appeared to be a formatting glitch is the Search Instructions window...I am viewing some overlapping of words... Caused me to pass right by the phrase "a product called 'The Brain' ".

But if i copy and paste the window content into MS Word, there is no overlapping of words...

Maybe it's my PC software that is the issue...

Dave Schwartz
03-01-2016, 12:46 PM
The Brain is a 3rd party product that allows for this functionality.

Re: Indexing word content... Since so much of the content is either audio or video that doesn't work. But the tags and search do a pretty good job.

Helles
03-01-2016, 08:07 PM
Great work Dave! I really like this search function!

Doug

HuggingTheRail
03-02-2016, 12:45 AM
Thought this was going to be an article about Beth :cool:

Dave Schwartz
03-02-2016, 01:52 AM
Thought this was going to be an article about Beth.

LOL - I don't have a problem being recognized as the brains of the outfit.

You know, we have clearly defined roles at our house. I am in charge of the BIG decisions, and Beth is in charge of the LITTLE ones.

For example, I am in charge of things like whether or not we should invade Iraq, whether or not we should be involved in Chechnya, and we should bring out the patio umbrellas this early.

Beth is in charge of the little things - where we live, the cars we purchase... stuff like that.

Dave

PS: I am also not permitted to use Beth's power tools. (Actually, that one is actually true.)

mickey_arnold
03-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Gee, Dave, with all the people on PA sitewho admire and utilize your products plus all the free handicapping info you supply, I'm surprised that at this point, you haven't received a blizzard of replies with comments, suggestions, etc

Hope things pick up
Mickey