PDA

View Full Version : Router Replacement Question?

Flysofree
02-29-2016, 03:03 PM
I have an old Linksys Router that I had one hell of a hard time getting set up initially 6 years ago. The guy on the telephone walked me through it but was difficult to understand due to his accent. However I finally got it working.
I saved the password which is a very long one containing letters and figures. If I replace this router with a new one with the same brand--Cisco Linksys, will it recognize the old password and name or will I have to start over from the beginning?? (For me that would mean probably an hour on the phone, getting help, if and when I get the right person).
Thanks.

Augenj
02-29-2016, 03:13 PM
I just installed a new ADSL (phone) modem/router by Actiontec without any issues. Setup was simple including adding the SSID and security key of my choice. I think most routers today have simpler setups than in the past.

Hoofless_Wonder
03-01-2016, 12:01 PM
I have an old Linksys Router that I had one hell of a hard time getting set up initially 6 years ago. The guy on the telephone walked me through it but was difficult to understand due to his accent. However I finally got it working.
I saved the password which is a very long one containing letters and figures. If I replace this router with a new one with the same brand--Cisco Linksys, will it recognize the old password and name or will I have to start over from the beginning?? (For me that would mean probably an hour on the phone, getting help, if and when I get the right person).
Thanks.

It will NOT keep the old password - it's a different piece of hardware.

Like Aug mentioned, the setup now for routers is easier and shouldn't be a big problem. Make sure you save the password again, and there's no reason you can't use the same one from the "old" machine.

Another thing you can do is Google for help setting it up (i.e., "Linksys Model xxxx configuration"). It's common to find simplified steps summarized on a web page or even a Youtube video out there for setting up common hardware devices.

Flysofree
03-01-2016, 01:07 PM
It will NOT keep the old password - it's a different piece of hardware.

Like Aug mentioned, the setup now for routers is easier and shouldn't be a big problem. Make sure you save the password again, and there's no reason you can't use the same one from the "old" machine.

Another thing you can do is Google for help setting it up (i.e., "Linksys Model xxxx configuration"). It's common to find simplified steps summarized on a web page or even a Youtube video out there for setting up common hardware devices.

Thanks for both replies. When you say the setup now for routers is easier than 6 years ago, I am assuming it has nothing to do with a newer model computer and simply the router itself. Is that correct?

Dave Schwartz
03-01-2016, 01:31 PM
FsF,

Our experience is that it is actually technology improvements in both devices.

When we set up our last one it was maybe 20 minutes, and that was because the instructions were not clear that you should first directly connect it via a cable to configure it before using it wirelessly. (Apparently some work that way.)

And adding devices are so easy now that the last time we had a Blu-Ray player fail, the new one was connected to our network in less than 3 minutes including unpacking the box.

Flysofree
03-01-2016, 01:43 PM
FsF,

Our experience is that it is actually technology improvements in both devices.

When we set up our last one it was maybe 20 minutes, and that was because the instructions were not clear that you should first directly connect it via a cable to configure it before using it wirelessly. (Apparently some work that way.)

And adding devices are so easy now that the last time we had a Blu-Ray player fail, the new one was connected to our network in less than 3 minutes including unpacking the box.

"instructions were not clear". No truer words were ever spoken!

Dave Schwartz
03-01-2016, 01:53 PM
"instructions were not clear". No truer words were ever spoken!

LOL - Yes, luckily I had a friend who knew to tell me that.

Just plug it into a laptop or desktop via cable and the configuration usually goes just by the book from that point.

Flysofree
03-01-2016, 02:29 PM
My problem began last November. It was my Modem that went bad. It was the same age as the computer at that time. The power light (green) kept going off and on every 2 to 3 minutes on the modem. I would lose connectivity. At first I thought it was just Cox (internet service provider) having a problem. This continued for 24 hours and I finally called them. After testing it from their office I was told my hardware had failed and it was likely the modem but could be the router.Try a new modem first. So off to Cox I went and bought a new modem... After some brief difficulties getting it hooked up all seemed to be working well and still is. However the bottom light on the modem blinks amber rather than green. This light is designated "link" on the modem. Power, DS, US and Online lights all stay a solid green. When I called Cox again for the 399th time it seems; I was told my router is probably going bad. That was in November and I have had no problems since putting in the new modem. Lights on the router blink blue as always... Computer speed is as fast as always. But the light on modem stays a blinking amber. Amber usually means caution. Yes, I've googled it and as always there seems to be different reasons. I guess one day it will play out and I'll need a new router. Cox doesn't sell routers.