PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else think Boxing and Horse Racing are similar?

RIsurfcaster
02-29-2016, 12:00 PM
To me they're very much alike. First off, in the early 1900's they were the 2 of the most popular sports, both have rich histories. There's a saying in boxing, styles make the fight. To give an example... When Ali fought Foreman, nobody thought he could win. They had some common opponents in Frazier and Norton. Both gave Ali all he could handle. Foreman destroyed them both in minutes. One would think Foreman should win easily, only Ali had the style to beat him, and that he did, in my favorite fight of all time. This is the same idea as pace makes the race.

Watching fighters walk to the ring, is very similar to watching horses walk in the paddock. I'll never forget being 7 years old and seeing Tyson walk to the ring to fight Douglas, he just looked off. I'm sure we've all witnessed this with some of our favorite horses looking off on race day.

Class.... You often see fighters display this in the championship rounds (10-12) much like you see horses display there class at longer distances. There are many more but i just wanted to share this and see if anyone else agrees. Hope your all cashing tickets!

Johnny V
02-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Boxing and horse racing were two of the most popular sports in America (along with baseball of course). Boxing was very popular until the 1950's or 1960's I would guess. W. C Heinz who was one of my favorite sportswriters of all time reflected that in his columns and magazine articles which had plenty of great well written stories about both sports. If you get a chance to read his writings which are readily available you may enjoy them. He had great article about Eddie Arcaro if memory serves and stories about Willie Pep, Rocky Graziano, other fighters and horse racing etc.

RIsurfcaster
02-29-2016, 12:22 PM
I've actually read allot of his work. Willie Pep, legend has it, once won a round without throwing a single punch. Truly a defensive wizard. Rocky Graziano was all heart, one of my all time favorites.

Stoleitbreezing
02-29-2016, 12:48 PM
I've actually read allot of his work. Willie Pep, legend has it, once won a round without throwing a single punch. Truly a defensive wizard. Rocky Graziano was all heart, one of my all time favorites.

Funny you mention it because when I want to explain to a novice or a stranger to horse racing I always use boxing as a similar sport. When I try to explain the excitement and allure of horse racing to others I almost always get the "how much did you lose to win that $" or why do I find it exciting? I of course tell them that one can lose a series of races (boxing lose rounds), then you get the "knockout" punch or "signer" for horseplayers. Boxing and horse racing have always intrigued me for that reason.

In baseball there is no such thing as a 7-run home run to a win the game. However, in boxing you can be down on points, then land a snappy upper cut in the last round to win. Similarly, in horse racing a horseplayer can be going through a serious losing streak, then suddenly make his month or year with a life changing score. Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat is the best thing about both sports.

I do see what you mean about styles and how boxing and horse racing are similar. I suppose the technical fighter or "boxer" type is the "speed" horse where they both try to get to the "lead" first. The counter puncher is the "stalker" and the power puncher is the "closer" from way back.

RIsurfcaster
02-29-2016, 01:36 PM
Funny you mention it because when I want to explain to a novice or a stranger to horse racing I always use boxing as a similar sport. When I try to explain the excitement and allure of horse racing to others I almost always get the "how much did you lose to win that $" or why do I find it exciting? I of course tell them that one can lose a series of races (boxing lose rounds), then you get the "knockout" punch or "signer" for horseplayers. Boxing and horse racing have always intrigued me for that reason.

In baseball there is no such thing as a 7-run home run to a win the game. However, in boxing you can be down on points, then land a snappy upper cut in the last round to win. Similarly, in horse racing a horseplayer can be going through a serious losing streak, then suddenly make his month or year with a life changing score. Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat is the best thing about both sports.

I do see what you mean about styles and how boxing and horse racing are similar. I suppose the technical fighter or "boxer" type is the "speed" horse where they both try to get to the "lead" first. The counter puncher is the "stalker" and the power puncher is the "closer" from way back.

Great points. My favorite thing about both sports is exactly what you said, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Nothing is more exciting than seeing a boxer lose every round, then pull out a KO in the closing seconds. Joe Louis vs Billy Conn comes to mind. Same as a horse being dead last at every point of call then get up by a nose at the wire. In my opinion those make for the most memorable moments in all of sports.

ReplayRandall
02-29-2016, 01:49 PM
Great points. My favorite thing about both sports is exactly what you said, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Nothing is more exciting than seeing a boxer lose every round, then pull out a KO in the closing seconds. Joe Louis vs Billy Conn comes to mind. Same as a horse being dead last at every point of call then get up by a nose at the wire. In my opinion those make for the most memorable moments in all of sports.

Yes, the most memorable moments in all of sports are those that have the greatest adversity in their storylines. Adversity, truly defines those that have the HEART of a Champion, and those that do not......

TJDave
02-29-2016, 02:15 PM
Far less corruption in boxing.

thaskalos
02-29-2016, 02:23 PM
As I keep reloading my ADW account...I can't help but think of those boxers, who keep getting up after repeated knockdowns. And I pray that the knockout punch isn't imminent.

Stillriledup
02-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Far less corruption in boxing.

:lol:

Tor Ekman
02-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Great points. My favorite thing about both sports is exactly what you said, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Nothing is more exciting than seeing a boxer lose every round, then pull out a KO in the closing seconds. Joe Louis vs Billy Conn comes to mind. Same as a horse being dead last at every point of call then get up by a nose at the wire. In my opinion those make for the most memorable moments in all of sports.Mike "Hercules" Weaver's KO of Big John Tate at 2:15 of the 15th round for WBA title . . . Tate went down like a giant redwood tree being felled in the forest, face first into the canvas . . . stunning KO by Weaver after being thoroughly dominated and outclassed for the entire match

ronsmac
02-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Mike "Hercules" Weaver's KO of Big John Tate at 2:15 of the 15th round for WBA title . . . Tate went down like a giant redwood tree being felled in the forest, face first into the canvas . . . stunning KO by Weaver after being thoroughly dominated and outclassed for the entire match
I remember that fight. I was a fan of Tate but was getting worried because he was tiring late although well ahead. He never really recovered after that KO loss.

ultracapper
02-29-2016, 06:19 PM
They're a lot alike in that they are being destroyed from within. It's no coincidence that they both started their slide at about the same time also. The mid 70's when the NFL-AFL merger really started to show the advantages that were expected, and the meteoric rise that was starting to simmer in the NBA with the imminent folding/merging of what value the ABA held. Notice both these sports had powerful people administering the business side of the operation, and through that decade of the 70's built powerful commissioner's offices. Neither sport explodes the way it did if it would have been parceled out between two competing leagues, an arrangement that would have invited additional leagues to try and start up, until they would have been destroyed from within also.

Horse racing, and boxing for that matter, needs desperately to look at the history of basketball and football, and learn from it, quickly.

I remember watching TV as a little kid, and them interrupting my show with a round by round update of one of the Ali-Frazier matches. Boxing could never pull that kind of rank today.

EMD4ME
02-29-2016, 07:31 PM
As I keep reloading my ADW account...I can't help but think of those boxers, who keep getting up after repeated knockdowns. And I pray that the knockout punch isn't imminent.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As usual, witty !

appistappis
02-29-2016, 07:41 PM
big difference, boxing lost its future when don king took it off of t.v. and forced you to pay to watch it....lost a whole generation who turned to wwe and now ufc......horseracing lost its future by ignoring the fans who are actually the most important piece of the game.

EMD4ME
02-29-2016, 07:49 PM
big difference, boxing lost its future when don king took it off of t.v. and forced you to pay to watch it....lost a whole generation who turned to wwe and now ufc......horseracing lost its future by ignoring the fans who are actually the most important piece of the game.

What % of Millenials, in your best guesstimate, have attended a racetrack between the ages of 3-10?

thaskalos
02-29-2016, 07:54 PM
What % of Millenials, in your best guesstimate, have attended a racetrack between the ages of 3-10?

I, personally, advocate that a horseplayer stay away from the betting windows until he/she at least turns 11.

EMD4ME
02-29-2016, 07:58 PM
I, personally, advocate that a horseplayer stay away from the betting windows until he/she at least turns 11.

I know you do , my friend. And I am not sure if I agree or disagree with you.

Only reason I ask is that in the last 20 plus years, the tracks have turned off good clients. My point is that those good clients have kids (in X amount of them).

That X that never came to the track as a kid, is 90% plus less likely to ever visit a racetrack or ADW in their lifetime as their was ZERO exposure to the game because of track management pissing off that generation of players.

appistappis
02-29-2016, 10:24 PM
you mean you guys weren't like me, grabbing thrown away forms and programs during the races and then selling them to the late comers to make enough for a $2 bet...or driving my father crazy, insisting he do the grocery shopping at the market that gave away the tickets for the on t.v. horse racing shows. Can't remember what they called them but I was hooked in grade 4.

ultracapper
02-29-2016, 10:49 PM

How about just bringing the kids to watch the show?

thaskalos
02-29-2016, 10:52 PM
How about just bringing the kids to watch the show?

I'd rather take them to the zoo instead.

gillenr
02-29-2016, 10:56 PM
Didn't the Morning Telegraph cover boxing & movies?

Elliott Sidewater
03-01-2016, 04:50 AM
Yes, they're very similar, especially when boxing exactas and trifectas :) . Also, both sports are among the few that have disqualifications. Bad movies (Rocky IV, V, and Balboa) and worse TV series (Luck) have focused on each sport. They vie for next to last place in respectability, just above professional wrestling. They are both incredibly dangerous to the participants. Both sports have their own "Million Dollar Babies".

Convincing enough?

castaway01
03-02-2016, 08:04 AM

I was a tall kid, but I have trouble reaching the window until I was about 11 anyway. Before that it was easier to just shoot craps in the alley.

thaskalos
03-02-2016, 08:07 AM
I was a tall kid, but I have trouble reaching the window until I was about 11 anyway. Before that it was easier to just shoot craps in the alley.
It's good to be multi-talented from the start. :ThmbUp:

tanner12oz
03-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Yup....you take beating in both

Greybase
03-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Mike "Hercules" Weaver's KO of Big John Tate at 2:15 of the 15th round for WBA title . . . stunning KO by Weaver after being thoroughly dominated and outclassed for the entire match
I once worked for a company in Ft Lauderdale and a co-worker was dating Michael "Dynamite" Dokes. Got to meet him at the holiday party, now I'm tall myself but this guy was not only big - I shook his hand and his freakin' Fist was like a 20-lb ham it was HUGE .. he was quick too, floored Weaver in a Round 1 TKO then went 15 rounds VS Weaver the rematch was a Draw. R.I.P. one of the best, in his day!

http://www.bestboxingblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Dokes-vs.-Weaver.jpg