PDA

View Full Version : SPAM crackdown by ISPs?

so.cal.fan
06-24-2004, 02:28 PM
I just saw a news clip video on MSN about how spam may be sent from infected computers.......and some ISP's like earthlink are going to crack down on unsuspecting users.
The guy mentioned ad-aware........sounded negative.
I have this on my computer, should I take it off?
I just got new anti-virus software.
I am getting more and more spam everyday........

so.cal.fan
06-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Here's the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5269732/

ljb
06-24-2004, 05:37 PM
I went to the link. read the story did not see anything about ad-aware. Did not view the video as I am browsing with netscape and they keep asking for ie. I did get an email this morning saying I had sent an email to someone with a virus in an attached file. email i received came from symantec. I did not send any email to recepient listed nor could I find suspected file on my computer. I also updated my virus software and did a scan found nothing. ??????

so.cal.fan
06-24-2004, 06:19 PM
Click on the video where Sullivan talks about the problem with Lester Holt.
It's not very encouraging......:(

I did a scan too, and I think I'm okay.....it is just that I am getting more and more spam everyday......and the story about the AOL ex-employee that stole millions of names of customers and sold them is very scary. I remember the last time we had a terrible scandal involving internet security......maybe no suprise it came in early 2000, right before the tech crash..........

Tom
06-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Keep Ad-Aware, and get Spybot as well.

chickenhead
06-24-2004, 06:28 PM
I use spybot and hijackthis!, keeps things pretty tidy, no pop ups at least.

Kappa
06-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
I just saw a news clip video on MSN about how spam may be sent from infected computers.......and some ISP's like earthlink are going to crack down on unsuspecting users.
The guy mentioned ad-aware........sounded negative.
I have this on my computer, should I take it off?
I just got new anti-virus software.
I am getting more and more spam everyday........

Actually the guy said 'ad ware' , the stuff Ad-Aware goes after. I install Ad-Aware on all of my client's computers, and I am really comfortable with it.

so.cal.fan
06-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks Kappa.......that is good to know. I have Ad-Aware and it works well for me.
Just saw on my headline news.....yet another virus alert.........
I love Windows XP, but if this keeps up.....I'll have to get a Mac.
Although, I have two friends who have Macs and while they don't get the MS virus's, they get the SPAM..........:(

Tom
06-26-2004, 11:44 AM
The way MS sells vunerable sofware is irresponsible. It would nbe like GM sellings cars wtih no door locks and no key requried to start it, just a push button. Then when your car is stolen, they could tell you, "It is your responsibility to protect your car from theft."

so.cal.fan
06-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Tom?
WHY HAVEN'T YOU SWITCHED TO A MAC YET?
Every year you get angrier and angrier at MS! It's ruining your life!

By the way, Tom........do you think Microsoft stock will EVER hit $30 AGAIN?????????? LOL

Tom
06-26-2004, 01:24 PM
If I could run my horse programs on a MAC, I would be there now. MS sucs.