PDA

View Full Version : transitioning from horse betting to other venues

acorn54
02-22-2016, 07:15 PM
i would like to know if others that read this forum have caught on to other hobbies or interests, with the waning of horseracing?
it would be nice if people chimed in with some ideas. i'll start on a positive note with;
taking up bicycling and learning about maintenance and repair of same.

astronomy, observation, reading star maps and locating the planets and observing through a telescope.

self-improvement, in general. reading books on same.

EMD4ME
02-22-2016, 08:25 PM
I went from horseracing to.....

PA :lol: :lol: :lol: (as a temporary distraction).

Just kidding. Before my mother got hit by a car and permanently disabled, I wish I had more time in the day. Work for 50 hours, social life, beach trips, vacations, movies, etc and a full time horse playing gig. Sleep was non existent.

Now, it's family, family, work, horses and nothing else.

From a "game" perspective, it's important to balance life as much as we can. Not too much of 1 thing.

As for moving on, NEVER. I LOVE THIS GAME TOOOOOOO MUCH. Even if I don't bet and just study, I'm happy. Love it.

thaskalos
02-22-2016, 08:30 PM
I went from horseracing to.....

PA :lol: :lol: :lol:

That shows you our luck. :)

EMD4ME
02-22-2016, 08:31 PM
That shows you our luck. :)

I rue the day Delta taught me what PA is.

Not for me but for you poor souls :lol: :lol: :lol:

thaskalos
02-22-2016, 08:33 PM
I rue the day Delta taught me what PA is.

Not for me but for you poor souls :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Delta is a Christian too. Isn't he afraid that he'll have to pay for his sins?

EMD4ME
02-22-2016, 08:35 PM
And Delta is a Christian too. Isn't he afraid that he'll have to pay for his sins?

I am a devout Christian too. I should at the very least say I'm sorry !

I was going to start a thread about you but for now, I'll say it here: It is a pleasure to read your posts/thoughts/stories/experiences. I love it. Keep it up!

If you haven't noticed, I stay out of where I don't belong LOL.

woodbinepmi
02-22-2016, 08:37 PM
i would like to know if others that read this forum have caught on to other hobbies or interests, with the waning of horseracing?
it would be nice if people chimed in with some ideas. i'll start on a positive note with;

astronomy, observation, reading star maps and locating the planets and observing through a telescope.

I have been around horseracing my entire life, (48 years) my first recollection of life is on the back of a horse. I have heard this my whole life about the demise of horseracing and I am really getting tired of it! Yes, we have problems in the game, but it is not going anywhere. Enough with it.

EMD4ME
02-22-2016, 08:38 PM
I have been around horseracing my entire life, (48 years) my first recollection of life is on the back of a horse. I have heard this my whole life about the demise of horseracing and I am really getting tired of it! Yes, we have problems in the game, but it is not going anywhere. Enough with it.

I, look forward to retiring and spending 5 days a week on the backstretch and racetrack.

It better NOT GO AWAY!

thaskalos
02-22-2016, 08:39 PM
I am a devout Christian too. I should at the very least say I'm sorry !

I was going to start a thread about you but for now, I'll say it here: It is a pleasure to read your posts/thoughts/stories/experiences. I love it. Keep it up!

If you haven't noticed, I stay out of where I don't belong LOL.
I'm just kidding, EMD4ME. I find your enthusiasm for the game very appealing...and I wish it were infectious. :ThmbUp:

VigorsTheGrey
02-22-2016, 09:37 PM

There is a really cool website called solarsystemscope.com! I have spent many hours contemplating this real time model of the solar system and the surrounding constellations.....You are able to project time forward into the future and reverse time into the past to see the exact location of the earth and all the planets...even comets fly in and out of the picture...It gives you a God's Eye View of our local "situation" and puts every thing in perspective for you...just go back to the year of your birth and set the system spinning....Your see that the earth travels around the yellow god of our existence once every 365 days...and in case you didn't know already, you only have about 70 of these circumambulations on average, to a total human lifespan...
....I like to set it on the fastest speed and get them balls a turning fast...way, way out beyond my own mortal days....and know that even this is just a tiny speck in time....Vigors

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies 5
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder and what art
Could twist the sinews of thy heart? 10
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand and what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp 15
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile His work to see?
Did He who made the lamb make thee? 20

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

William Blake

EMD4ME
02-22-2016, 10:22 PM
I'm just kidding, EMD4ME. I find your enthusiasm for the game very appealing...and I wish it were infectious. :ThmbUp:

I know you meant well Thaskalos ! I have thick skin, after all, in this game, you must be an adult and make your own decisions (while ignoring tips and BS from others LOL).

Yes, I do love this darn intellectual challenge.

I think I told you this before but I just want to make sure.

2002. AQU 2nd floor grandstand. Knowledgeable but crazy horseplayer says to me:

EMD4ME do you play poker? Cards? Blackjack, Roullette etc?

Me: No. Hate gambling.

Horseplayer: Then why horses?

Me: Because I love the reduction of variables, playing the percentages etc.

Horseplayer: As you may know, I am a successful business man. Made a lot of money. Conquered a lot in my life etc. I play this game because it's the one game, that STIMULATES my brain. It's me VS. YOU but it's me VS. ME many times.

Me: Makes a lot of sense. I love the challenge of reducing questions (by studying more). Knowing more, working harder than the lazy player etc.

Horseplayer: Not all races can be played/not all races have an answer or a proper play.

Me: Is this the second version of the bible? I LOVE THIS DISCUSSION!

NorCalGreg
02-23-2016, 03:26 AM
There is a really cool website called solarsystemscope.com! I have spent many hours contemplating this real time model of the solar system and the surrounding constellations.....You are able to project time forward into the future and reverse time into the past to see the exact location of the earth and all the planets...even comets fly in and out of the picture...It gives you a God's Eye View of our local "situation" and puts every thing in perspective for you...just go back to the year of your birth and set the system spinning....Your see that the earth travels around the yellow god of our existence once every 365 days...and in case you didn't know already, you only have about 70 of these circumambulations on average, to a total human lifespan...
....I like to set it on the fastest speed and get them balls a turning fast...way, way out beyond my own mortal days....and know that even this is just a tiny speck in time....Vigors

Awesome website, Vig--got it bookmarked--thanks :ThmbUp:

whodoyoulike
02-23-2016, 07:55 PM

Took up bicycling a couple years ago for exercise and find your post timely since I just repaired a flat just last month. Check out YouTube for "how to" on maintenance and repairs. Also, started woodworking with a dremel type tool about three years ago. Very little progress because it's not as easy as I originally thought it would be. Thinking about weights to appear buffed up while cycling.

biggestal99
02-24-2016, 06:48 AM
Besides horseracing the only thing that matters is politics.

I am a horse and political junky.

As long as i get my fix of both daily, i am happy. :-)

Allan

HalvOnHorseracing
02-24-2016, 08:52 AM

The options are endless and related to your personal interests. I played basketball competitively for years and when my joints couldn't take the pounding I started officiating. I work as a marshall at a golf course two days a week. I write a blog on horseracing. Bicycling and bike maintenance sounds like a great sidelight. Looking at the sky is fascinating - I remember being in a really remote place far away from city lights and the full sky is incredible. Only you know what would stimulate you. Do you like activites with a lot of social interaction? Things you do more by yourself? The options are endless. Sounds like you have a good start and a good attitude.

castaway01
02-24-2016, 10:08 AM
Besides horseracing the only thing that matters is politics.

I am a horse and political junky.

As long as i get my fix of both daily, i am happy. :-)

Allan

I guess compared to politics, horse racing must seem squeaky clean and innocent.

ultracapper
02-24-2016, 11:08 AM
The options are endless and related to your personal interests. I played basketball competitively for years and when my joints couldn't take the pounding I started officiating. I work as a marshall at a golf course two days a week. I write a blog on horseracing. Bicycling and bike maintenance sounds like a great sidelight. Looking at the sky is fascinating - I remember being in a really remote place far away from city lights and the full sky is incredible. Only you know what would stimulate you. Do you like activites with a lot of social interaction? Things you do more by yourself? The options are endless. Sounds like you have a good start and a good attitude.

In 1985 my wife and I took a road trip down I-5 and ended up in a rest stop just outside Eugene at about 3am. I've never seen so many stars in the sky in my life. Incredible.

I spend a lot of time on the internet reading all the astronomy stuff. We (humans) have telescopes all over the earth and in orbit and hurtling through space a couple billion miles away and counting. I love going through all that stuff and trying to imagine the vastness of it all and my little place in it. The recent Pluto experience was very exciting.

Really though, I think the transition I'll ultimately make is from handicapping to shopping for a tasteful pine box.

HalvOnHorseracing
02-24-2016, 07:03 PM
In 1985 my wife and I took a road trip down I-5 and ended up in a rest stop just outside Eugene at about 3am. I've never seen so many stars in the sky in my life. Incredible.

I spend a lot of time on the internet reading all the astronomy stuff. We (humans) have telescopes all over the earth and in orbit and hurtling through space a couple billion miles away and counting. I love going through all that stuff and trying to imagine the vastness of it all and my little place in it. The recent Pluto experience was very exciting.

Really though, I think the transition I'll ultimately make is from handicapping to shopping for a tasteful pine box.

There will always be horseracing somewhere. And billions of stars in the sky. It's an amazing universe.

pondman
02-24-2016, 07:04 PM

I run 5-6 mornings per week, and row on a lake every evening (when weather permits.)

thaskalos
02-24-2016, 07:08 PM
Might I suggest a yoga and meditation practice? It has done wonders for my health and my state of mind...and I find that it's a big help to me in the gambling arenas as well. The time-commitment isn't major either.

banacek
02-24-2016, 07:23 PM
This thread makes me think of one of the favourite posts in my time here..it's from chickenhead - one of my favourite posters in my time here :) :

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=371328&postcount=1

MonmouthParkJoe
02-24-2016, 08:01 PM
I power lifted seriously during undergrad, strong man comps, continued for years after. Got back into it seriously within the last year. I read alot, about a book every day or so.

I also fish as much as I can, specifically striped bass and fluke. Crabbing as well when the run is on.

Video games are my big thing too. Ever since I got my first NES as a kid I was hooked. Amazing how far the technology has come. Also been writing a book for the last year. One item that is on my bucket list that I am looking to check off. Even if it isnt picked up by a major publisher, i will self publish.

HalvOnHorseracing
02-24-2016, 08:28 PM
I power lifted seriously during undergrad, strong man comps, continued for years after. Got back into it seriously within the last year. I read alot, about a book every day or so.

I also fish as much as I can, specifically striped bass and fluke. Crabbing as well when the run is on.

Video games are my big thing too. Ever since I got my first NES as a kid I was hooked. Amazing how far the technology has come. Also been writing a book for the last year. One item that is on my bucket list that I am looking to check off. Even if it isnt picked up by a major publisher, i will self publish.
I can relate to wanting to publish a book. My new novel, The Kingpins of Riverbend, became available as an ebook on Amazon.com last Thanksgiving. Fictional story set in upstate NY in 1968 and it has nothing to do with horseracing. Should be available in hard copy fairly soon. Good luck with yours. If you need any advice let me know. I'd be happy to help.

VigorsTheGrey
02-25-2016, 01:20 AM
I play chess on Lichess.com
Really fun site, can get a game almost instantly. For what it is worth my rating is about 1450 which means I am about as good as 46% of all the rest.
It's easy to join just email and screen name.
Mine is: Smile-Of-Reason.

biggestal99
02-25-2016, 07:23 AM
I play chess on Lichess.com
Really fun site, can get a game almost instantly. For what it is worth my rating is about 1450 which means I am about as good as 46% of all the rest.
It's easy to join just email and screen name.
Mine is: Smile-Of-Reason.
have a friend who is a master level chess player and a really good poker player but could not pick a horse race to save his life.

when I come up with a nice winner during our trips to the track he always complains "but that horse wasn't the most likely winner on paper" I try and explain "best horse on paper betting is a sure way to the workhouse"

Allan

Johnny V
02-25-2016, 07:38 AM
My interest in racing has definitely waned in the last few years although I still handicap and bet almost every day at certain times of the year, less so at other times. I like to take a short complete break from time to time. I have done some charity work one to two times a week for the last several years which I have found rewarding. I also spend more time in the gym and outdoors and try to spend more time with the family if I can.

VigorsTheGrey
02-25-2016, 10:00 AM
have a friend who is a master level chess player and a really good poker player but could not pick a horse race to save his life.

when I come up with a nice winner during our trips to the track he always complains "but that horse wasn't the most likely winner on paper" I try and explain "best horse on paper betting is a sure way to the workhouse"

Allan

So true! That's why I have always been such a darn tooting consistent LOSER....Always looking for those paper tigers, the horses that by all reasonable standards, OUGHT TO WIN, and yet consistently find only ways to losel

AND being shocked repeated by horses that HAVE NO BUSINESS WINNING!

Led me to the probably errant conclusion that the races are rigged...How could I ever beat the game if the game is not run on the level?

And then trying to anticipate when "the fix was in"....led me nowhere but the workhouse AGAIN....

raybo
02-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Dang, I've done so many different things in my lifetime, sometimes it amazes me that I was able to do so any at a time. As an athlete in my youth through my early 40s, I played all 4 major sports, transitioned to 6' and under basketball in the city leagues, softball (both fast pitch and slow pitch), billiards has always been part of my life although not so much recently, but thinking of getting back into it via tournaments in the area. Also thinking of getting back into bowling again (carried a 172 average while in the USAF). Shoot, I even played competitive table tennis (ping pong), which started overseas against the local Thais. Raced motocross in the 250 and open classes while in the USAF too, recently bought a used CR125 that allows me to get out "in the dirt" occasionally, mostly trail riding but plan to enter a few "Vet" races this summer (55 and 60 and older probably).

My big daily activity is working in Excel. Don't know why but I just love messing with spreadsheets, especially racing related ones. Math was always easy for me, and logic stuff comes from my work with computers starting in the USAF.

My better half and I walk the local park's walking path every day, weather permitting, about 1 1/2 mile total. About to buy outdoor roller skates and give that a go too, maybe some rink skating too.

crestridge
02-25-2016, 12:12 PM
There's no more joy in life then bowing my heart to our Creator, coming together with others who find great fulfillment in worshiping HIM! Those beautiful songs we sing, learning to see how beautiful HE really is, humbly, greatly thanking HIM for all HIS grace to us!

But then you ask me, what in the world are you doing in this arena? Isn't this forbidden to you, a lawless place? I must admit, one can be here and involved in all kinds destructive behavior, and it would be inappropriate. But to me, this venue of horse racing has been very valuable. I've learned so much about math, computers, controlling one's emotions/finances, learning value. No matter what business one pursues, value is the bottom line. In "the market" one must find a good business at a good price; when we go shopping, we don't pay top dollar, we attempt to find the best price, etc. Disciple, I've learned (the hard way).

And most of us have learned to enjoy, pursue reading, which is invaluable in this endeavor! I must admit, I love this sport, and like the other gentleman said, even if I don't bet, I enjoy the research.

This PA forum, what a joy, to come here and express ideas, philosophy, and to set forth a thoughtful argument for a certain strategy.

It's a pleasure to be here today, on this forum!!

ultracapper
02-25-2016, 02:25 PM
This thread makes me think of one of the favourite posts in my time here..it's from chickenhead - one of my favourite posters in my time here :) :

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=371328&postcount=1

That is a GREAT post. Thanks for digging that up.

ultracapper
02-25-2016, 02:26 PM
There's no more joy in life then bowing my heart to our Creator, coming together with others who find great fulfillment in worshiping HIM! Those beautiful songs we sing, learning to see how beautiful HE really is, humbly, greatly thanking HIM for all HIS grace to us!

But then you ask me, what in the world are you doing in this arena? Isn't this forbidden to you, a lawless place? I must admit, one can be here and involved in all kinds destructive behavior, and it would be inappropriate. But to me, this venue of horse racing has been very valuable. I've learned so much about math, computers, controlling one's emotions/finances, learning value. No matter what business one pursues, value is the bottom line. In "the market" one must find a good business at a good price; when we go shopping, we don't pay top dollar, we attempt to find the best price, etc. Disciple, I've learned (the hard way).

And most of us have learned to enjoy, pursue reading, which is invaluable in this endeavor! I must admit, I love this sport, and like the other gentleman said, even if I don't bet, I enjoy the research.

This PA forum, what a joy, to come here and express ideas, philosophy, and to set forth a thoughtful argument for a certain strategy.

It's a pleasure to be here today, on this forum!!

This is definitely a "feel good" day at PA. You seem to be a reasonable and balanced soul. Be thankful for that.