PDA

View Full Version : My spouse catches a breeding- "signer"

1st time lasix
02-22-2016, 10:43 AM
****Driving by my simulcast center around 5:30 Saturday....my better half decides to "drop" in for a glass of wine with "da boys. " I explain to her that the upcoming Risen Star race at Fairgrounds is a potential Derby prep race. Over the years while she has been exposed to my playing....she has had zero interest in figs, training angles or anything else in the PP's except the breeding. When we go to the live races...she wants to be in or around the paddock. We have attended a couple of 2 year old auctions...where she has picked up a couple of things. Anyway.... I give her my form open to the race ten minutes before post and she sees there are two offspring from Indian Charlie and two from Candy Ride entered. Without regard to odds....these are the ones she asks me to box for her. She has twenty bucks. Well you guessed it. :) The favorite Airoforce ---runs poorly and all her ticket numbers are in the lane. Winner...winner! :jump: The result is a $335 dollar exacta and $1800 twenty cent super!!! We all were stunned. Drinks and tips all around! She was on 'feel-good" cloud nine for 48 hours. She bought me dinner for a change! Very happy for her.

Alwaysonpoint36
02-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Awesome man. Love stories like this

Grits
02-22-2016, 11:18 AM
What a fun afternoon....and a great dinner as bonus!!! You better start listening to her FTL. Her treat... ;)

thespaah
02-22-2016, 11:32 AM
****Driving by my simulcast center around 5:30 Saturday....my better half decides to "drop" in for a glass of wine with "da boys. " I explain to her that the upcoming Risen Star race at Fairgrounds is a potential Derby prep race. Over the years while she has been exposed to my playing....she has had zero interest in figs, training angles or anything else in the PP's except the breeding. When we go to the live races...she wants to be in or around the paddock. We have attended a couple of 2 year old auctions...where she has picked up a couple of things. Anyway.... I give her my form open to the race ten minutes before post and she sees there are two offspring from Indian Charlie and two from Candy Ride entered. Without regard to odds....these are the ones she asks me to box for her. She has twenty bucks. Well you guessed it. :) The favorite Airoforce ---runs poorly and all her ticket numbers are in the lane. Winner...winner! :jump: The result is a $335 dollar exacta and $1800 twenty cent super!!! We all were stunned. Drinks and tips all around! She was on 'feel-good" cloud nine for 48 hours. She bought me dinner for a change! Very happy for her.
Very cool story.
My favorite kind of win is when one does their homework in their own way. And in doing so may go against conventional wisdom/practice.

VigorsTheGrey
02-22-2016, 11:39 AM
Awesome man. Love stories like this

Yesterday Sunday 21 2016, a man at the table next to me walks up to the window and bets his birthday numbers 1, 5, 6 ,7 on the 8th at golden gate

He bets 10 cent super box with those 4 numbers for $2.40 ticket. He pushes the repeat button once more...Goes back to table and watches race go off...
A pair of horse duel down the lane..another pair follow..He thinks one of the top pair has a horse left off his ticket..oops its his horse after all....All 4 come in...He wins on both tickets ...I tell him it going to pay good...over $500 for a dime...5-1, 23-1, 45-1 and and I think 9-1 4th....results come in....$30,000 for $1 Super.... Man calmly rejoices the fact he's won...walks away with over $6000 for a $4.80 investment..It doesn't get much better than that! Some guys are just plain lucky!

thaskalos
02-22-2016, 12:03 PM
Yesterday Sunday 21 2016, a man at the table next to me walks up to the window and bets his birthday numbers 1, 5, 6 ,7 on the 8th at golden gate

He bets 10 cent super box with those 4 numbers for $2.40 ticket. He pushes the repeat button once more...Goes back to table and watches race go off...
A pair of horse duel down the lane..another pair follow..He thinks one of the top pair has a horse left off his ticket..oops its his horse after all....All 4 come in...He wins on both tickets ...I tell him it going to pay good...over $500 for a dime...5-1, 23-1, 45-1 and and I think 9-1 4th....results come in....$30,000 for $1 Super.... Man calmly rejoices the fact he's won...walks away with over $6000 for a $4.80 investment..It doesn't get much better than that! Some guys are just plain lucky!

Luck is a very fickle lady. Talk to him in a month or two, and see how "lucky" he feels. :)

Stillriledup
02-22-2016, 12:09 PM

Cmon that didn't really happen :lol:

Did it? :eek:

raybo
02-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Luck is a very fickle lady. Talk to him in a month or two, and see how "lucky" he feels. :)

LOL - at $4.80 a race, that $6k might keep him on a high for quite some time! Maybe even long enough to get lucky again. This is why I have played supers for so long, bet small to win big, it only takes a few good hits to make your whole year. Of course, you know that already.

thaskalos
02-22-2016, 01:22 PM
LOL - at $4.80 a race, that $6k might keep him on a high for quite some time! Maybe even long enough to get lucky again. This is why I have played supers for so long, bet small to win big, it only takes a few good hits to make your whole year. Of course, you know that already.
His "calm rejoicing" after the score is a dead giveaway. He has been around the block a few times...no doubt about that. The typical $4.80 bettor would have brought the HOUSE down after such a score.

VigorsTheGrey
02-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Cmon that didn't really happen :lol:

Did it? :eek:

Oh yes really did happen. 5-1 Clara's Dream won the race
with 23-1 FTS Barcelo 2nd
45-1 She'll Get'er Done 3rd
and the horse that I played 6-1 Water Cat 4th.

The Super Pool total was $69, 723.
$1 Super paid $30, 557.
10 cent super $3055

Just one of those races where very few winning combinations were sold!

Stillriledup
02-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Oh yes really did happen. 5-1 Clara's Dream won the race
with 23-1 FTS Barcelo 2nd
45-1 She'll Get'er Done 3rd
and the horse that I played 6-1 Water Cat 4th.

The Super Pool total was $69, 723.
$1 Super paid $30, 557.
10 cent super $3055

Just one of those races where very few winning combinations were sold!

That's crazy. Amazing hit for 5 bucks. Bet a little to win a lot is where you can never go wrong.

VigorsTheGrey
02-22-2016, 02:28 PM
His "calm rejoicing" after the score is a dead giveaway. He has been around the block a few times...no doubt about that. The typical $4.80 bettor would have brought the HOUSE down after such a score.

Yea!!! In fact it was ME who was bringing the house down FOR HIM! I was so happy for the guy....giving him high fives and all...which he only mildly returned...His friends asked him if he was SHAKING....to which he replied, "kind of" ...!

Strange breed horse players all...almost as strange as the outcomes of the races themselves...I guess that is what keeps me returning for more..and MORE!
Vigors.

1st time lasix
02-22-2016, 02:49 PM
yes...my sweet...charming well-mannered Southern lady began was cheering at the simulcast screen like a drunkin sailor at the top of the lane when I said her horses were " in it" as they turned for home. Yelling go...go!!! It was only after she won and when the odds were revealed to her that she realized her little wager was a major "windfall" for her that she got nervous and subdued.....

VigorsTheGrey
02-22-2016, 03:16 PM
yes...my sweet...charming well-mannered Southern lady began was cheering at the simulcast screen like a drunkin sailor at the top of the lane when I said her horses were " in it" as they turned for home. Yelling go...go!!! It was only after she won and when the odds were revealed to her that she realized her little wager was a major "windfall" for her that she got nervous and subdued.....

Yes, and when it happens THAT WAY, a person doesn't actually WANT to let people know that they just made a huge score for fear of the jealousy of others, I guess...!?!?

And you know that about half of the people around you are actually happy for you, and the others are, well, happy for you in little different way!
Vigors

Flysofree
02-25-2016, 03:22 PM
That's the good stuff about horse racing that brings hope to all and hopefully the younger crowd and first time starters (er ah---bettors) :jump:

Stoleitbreezing
02-25-2016, 04:10 PM
Better to be lucky than good as the saying goes.

My one and only signer had nothing to do with luck. I was at Balmoral Park (Now bankrupt) when I was 18 yrs old and had taken my modest bankroll of 100 bucks up to the 2nd floor to play throughbred simulcasting on my day off. 2 additional trips to the Automatic Tripling Machine later I was stuck 350. I had 35 bucks left. I was there for 6-8hrs and decided I was going to make my last stand at Turfway Park.

9 horse field. I handicap the race for nearly 25 minutes. For some particular reason I scratched out 5 horses like they weren't racing. Thinking back on it I suppose I was doing this thinking all along I was going to play the super. I have 4 horses now I like. I go to the machine with 1 minute to post, I box my 4 horses $1ex, bet 5 to win on the horse I liked most print. Zero minutes to post now I'm looking at my numbers and here's my reasoning

I like the :4: to win
The :2: is the speed and is 7/1
The :3: is the big deep closer that likes to share and get 3rd (27/1)
And the :8: the 9/5 favorite ridden by then jockey Greta Kuntzweiler I'll put the *unt 4th. :p

I punch in $2 dollar superfecta straight, :4: :2: :3: :8: Finish

The machine cuts off for betting. I go back to my table and watch the race. They break out. The :2: goes to the lead as I thought. My :4: is tracking closely behind. A long break to my :3: who rides the rail in 3rd and the :8:
following that one. Everyone else I scratched out were not in the picture. They run like this around the far turn and I'm excited because I'm going to cash my exacta box for what I think is going to be ok. At least "ok" when you're down 350. As the :2: & :4: approach the wire the :4: is tipped out and appears to just snap the :2: I immediately remember I played a super this race. Something I never did when I was playing as I mostly played win, exacta, and tris. I go through my tickets again and can't believe I hit this super. I ask a guy standing next to the tv monitor how much he thinks the super will pay. "Oh.....about a 1,000....you have it for a dollar right?" I tell him I have it for $2 and he's in disbelief.

The photo was short and was quickly made official.

:4: :2: :3: :8: = $2,292.80 for $2
$5 win :4: $21
$1 ex box :4: :2: = $56 (more or less I don't quite remember the exact amount)

I'm not sure how I didn't play the tri that race. I ended up walking out with nearly $2500 and was known as the "ice man" for a couple of weeks with my "ice cold" super. Still trying to break my N2L condition, but realize I don't play the kind of tickets and odds it would take to get there for the most part.