PDA

View Full Version : Spend on a hobby

andicap
06-23-2004, 10:31 PM
I've heard it said that horseplayers spend more money per capita than many other hobbies. Wondering if this is true

andicap
06-23-2004, 10:38 PM
This is basically everything but betting and ancillary expenses like your lunch at the OTB: computer files, racing forms, books, software, information, monthly fees for online accounts, hardware related to your hobby, etc. If in doubt, throw it in.

How do people think this compares to other hobbies?

JustRalph
06-23-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by andicap
I've heard it said that horseplayers spend more money per capita than many other hobbies. Wondering if this is true

There are much more expensive hobbies............

My Hobby used to be flying airplanes..........not even close.

nomadpat
06-23-2004, 11:47 PM
I am curious what the high dollar people of the poll are using? Must attack the races with more than software or data source.

andicap
06-24-2004, 12:03 AM
One data source alone can be over $1400 a year alone. Add in books, BRIS files, DRF, etc. and you can be at $2K real easily.

Zaf
06-24-2004, 12:15 AM
I used to play 5-6 rounds of golf a week :eek: and had 5 different sets of irons. I found that more expensive than my horse hobby.

BTW , I don't play golf anymore :p

ZAFONIC

PaceAdvantage
06-24-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by nomadpat
I am curious what the high dollar people of the poll are using? Must attack the races with more than software or data source.

'Sheets', if purchased on a regular basis, will run you $4000+ easy

acorn54
06-24-2004, 02:19 AM
actually i always found handicapping horses the cheapest way to kill time. where else can you buy something for 50 cents (tsn datafile) and spend the rest of the day handicapping and watching the otb channel
going out to lunch at a restaurant will run you 30 dollars easy and you only spent an hour in the restaurant eating. a movie costs 8 bucks to see and thats only a 2 hour event.
and if your half way decent at handicapping your bets should be at the breakeven point,nothing lost,nothing gained.
think of all the people that spend their weekends at walmart and such buying junk.
no i would say playing the horses is one of the most frugal pasttimes that there is.
guy (acorn)