PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Republican Primary

_______
02-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Trump 32%
Cruz 19.5%
Rubio 19%

I think the dynamic of the race will change fairly quickly starting Sunday.

Many of the Super Tuesday states have a 20% threshold to award delegates. If the establishment wants a candidate other than Trump, they will need to find a way for someone else to get above that number. I think the pressure on both Bush and Kaisch to drop out will increase if they have poor finishes.

I'll be looking to see if Trump can grow his support toward 50%. If he manages to get over 40% here, it will do a lot convince the parts of the Republican coalition aghast at his candidacy that he is the only option outside of Cruz.

Things are certainly getting interesting.

kingfin66
02-19-2016, 09:02 PM
I am thinking that he will be around 35% in SC. There was a poll released that indicated that 59.9% of voters said that they would never vote for Trump. If that is accurate - it is but a poll - that will make it difficult for him to get to 50. You left Rubio out of the equation. Are you writing him off? He would be more palatable to me than Cruz.

ebcorde
02-19-2016, 09:05 PM
Trump is sincere the others are liars. I have yet to hear anything negative from people who have known Trump personally over the years.

Clocker
02-19-2016, 11:29 PM
I have yet to hear anything negative from people who have known Trump personally over the years.

Talk to all the people who got left holding the bag every time he went bankrupt.

ReplayRandall
02-19-2016, 11:40 PM
Talk to all the people who got left holding the bag every time he went bankrupt.

I'm sorry if I missed who you support and why, Clocker. Who would that be?

highnote
02-20-2016, 12:13 AM
Trump has odds of 1/12 to win. Cruz is 12/1.

Jeb! is 100/1!

Doesn't matter where the exclamation point goes, not gonna help him.

Clocker
02-20-2016, 12:24 AM
I'm sorry if I missed who you support and why, Clocker. Who would that be?

None of the above. None of the current candidates have the leadership skills to effectively run the government, regardless of political philosophy. Which might be a good thing if a Democrat wins. He/she won't be able to implement his/her programs.

Trump is a vulgar blowhard who swings from liberal to RINO depending on which way the wind blows, or whether or not he took his meds. His leadership skills are vastly over-rated for the position. Cruz and Rubio are raw kids, first term Senators just like the incompetent incumbent in the Oval Office. I already saw that movie.

I have given up on voting for the lesser of two or more evils. Unless a dark horse comes along, this election is a spectator sport for me. Purposely refusing to go to the polls is a vote.

highnote
02-20-2016, 12:28 AM
I have given up on voting for the lesser of two or more evils. Unless a dark horse comes along, this election is a spectator sport for me. Purposely refusing to go to the polls is a vote.

I agree. Maybe I'll vote for the Green Party candidate?

http://www.gp.org/

Could they be any worse than any other candidate? I suppose the answer is yes.

johnhannibalsmith
02-20-2016, 12:29 AM
Pull Johnson!

ReplayRandall
02-20-2016, 12:30 AM

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." - Geddy Lee- Rush

Clocker
02-20-2016, 12:41 AM
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." - Geddy Lee- Rush

I did choose to decide. I have decided that none of the current contenders, in my humble opinion, are worth my vote.

Some times none of the horses are worth betting, so you pass the race and have a beer. I think this election is going to require vast quantities of beer.

ReplayRandall
02-20-2016, 12:49 AM
I did choose to decide. I have decided that none of the current contenders, in my humble opinion, are worth my vote.

Some times none of the horses are worth betting, so you pass the race and have a beer. I think this election is going to require vast quantities of beer.

Is Dos Equis XX alright with you?.....It's all I drink, with a shot of Brandy... :cool:

highnote
02-20-2016, 12:54 AM
I think this election is going to require vast quantities of beer.

Why? Is it because of the uncertainty leading up to the conventions, or is it because once Billary gets elected we don't know what is going to become of the country with her and Bill at the helm, or both? :bang:

reckless
02-20-2016, 01:52 AM

How many people could that be?

Trump's either started,created or been involved in over 400 companies in his career and four companies went bankrupt.

barahona44
02-20-2016, 09:00 AM
Is Dos Equis XX alright with you?.....It's all I drink, with a shot of Brandy... :cool:
Sadly, none of these candidates is The Most Interesting Man in the World.Or woman.

Tom
02-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Pull Johnson!

I beg your pardon!

_______
02-20-2016, 11:29 AM
I am thinking that he will be around 35% in SC. There was a poll released that indicated that 59.9% of voters said that they would never vote for Trump. If that is accurate - it is but a poll - that will make it difficult for him to get to 50. You left Rubio out of the equation. Are you writing him off? He would be more palatable to me than Cruz.

Rubio would be more palatable to me than either Cruz or Trump. But as much as I try to envision a reasonable path for him to the nomination, it's hard to see it happening.

My working assumption at this point (which is at least version 5.0) is that it's almost too late for the establishment to coalesce around a single candidate who isn't Trump. I think they'll try and Rubio is the most likely survivor out of the 3 remaining. But once he plays out (and given the mood of a base which is voting with it's middle finger, it won't take long), they'll accept Trump as the best of two bad choices.

Trump will be the establishment candidate only because he isn't Cruz.

kingfin66
02-20-2016, 11:50 AM
Rubio would be more palatable to me than either Cruz or Trump. But as much as I try to envision a reasonable path for him to the nomination, it's hard to see it happening.

My working assumption at this point (which is at least version 5.0) is that it's almost too late for the establishment to coalesce around a single candidate who isn't Trump. I think they'll try and Rubio is the most likely survivor out of the 3 remaining. But once he plays out (and given the mood of a base which is voting with it's middle finger, it won't take long), they'll accept Trump as the best of two bad choices.

Trump will be the establishment candidate only because he isn't Cruz.

You know, in this crazy election year, that theory/assumption is as good as any other and definitely is not out of the realm of possibility. In particular, the part about the GOP uniting around one candidate is very hard for me to envision. In the unlikely event of a brokered convention, I would bet that Rubio would be the nominee put forward. There should be a lot more information after this weekend and by next Tuesday when we are likely to see 1, and maybe even 2, of the candidates drop out.

PaceAdvantage
02-20-2016, 02:11 PM
Trump's been downplaying his chances lately in SC according to what I've heard. And at least one late poll had Trump tied with Cruz.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump loses to Cruz just like in Iowa. Those Evangelicals can be a finicky bunch this year.

kingfin66
02-20-2016, 02:52 PM
I don't know about that. The polls would have to be way, way off. If it happens then we may as well throw the polls away. I think he gets about 32 percent tonight, which would make him an easy winner.

Shemp Howard
02-20-2016, 03:42 PM
Trump is moving like a tremendous machine.

PaceAdvantage
02-20-2016, 04:02 PM
Trump's been downplaying his chances lately in SC according to what I've heard.Come to think of it, maybe I heard he was downplaying his chances in Nevada, of all places. Anyone know what I'm referring to?