PDA

View Full Version : Colby Hernandez Misjudged the Finish Line FG Race 7

SuperPickle
02-19-2016, 05:31 PM
He thought it was a one mile race. Worth a look at the replay. The horse wins if he rides him to the wire.

EMD4ME
02-19-2016, 05:55 PM
It never ends....that was hideous

wisconsin
02-19-2016, 06:57 PM
This is so simply solved. Laurel has red spot lights that light up on the correct finish pole. Why is this so hard for other tracks that insist on an auxiliary finish?

cj
02-19-2016, 07:33 PM
I can hardly blame him given the number of "short stretch" races they have run at the meet so far. It is much more the norm than the exception.

no breathalyzer
02-19-2016, 09:43 PM
unacceptable .. much worse then that thread last weak over at Aqu Jockey that lost the super cause the horse was gassed and a 99-1 shot was all out like it was the Ky Derby

Stillriledup
02-19-2016, 09:53 PM
unacceptable .. much worse then that thread last weak over at Aqu Jockey that lost the super cause the horse was gassed and a 99-1 shot was all out like it was the Ky Derby

It doesn't matter if the horse was 'gassed' you ride to the end. Period.

SuperPickle
02-19-2016, 09:56 PM
Honestly this was the worst one yet. It's usually bug boys or guys who ride four horses a week. It's also usually long shots.

Today it was a jockey who wins 200 races a year on a 5-2 shot trained by Karl Broberg.

There's zero excuses.

Stillriledup
02-19-2016, 10:11 PM
Honestly this was the worst one yet. It's usually bug boys or guys who ride four horses a week. It's also usually long shots.

Today it was a jockey who wins 200 races a year on a 5-2 shot trained by Karl Broberg.

There's zero excuses.

And zero punishment.

EMD4ME
02-19-2016, 10:16 PM
If I were in charge, you would be banned for 90 days at all US tracks and Canadian tracks. No excuses, unless you fell off and died of a heart attack.

098poi
02-19-2016, 10:29 PM
I watched the replay. The slo mo is cringe worthy. What's .32 furlongs among friends?

Mandrake
02-19-2016, 10:37 PM
Agree with SRU and EMD. It's not that he rarely rode there. I only had thirty to win on the horse and what I thought was the great ride soon turned into a brain fart. Never count your money. He should get major days. And the phony BS inquiry after the race was an insult. You going to take down the 2?

woodbinepmi
02-19-2016, 10:39 PM
And zero punishment.

No, he'll get days for that.

Stillriledup
02-19-2016, 10:42 PM
No, he'll get days for that.

Slap on the wrist.

woodbinepmi
02-19-2016, 10:43 PM
If I were in charge, you would be banned for 90 days at all US tracks and Canadian tracks. No excuses, unless you fell off and died of a heart attack.

That happened to an outrider at Evangeline a couple years ago after a race, his horse was trotting in front of the grandstand he fell over and onto the track. They brought out the tarp to cover him while they worked on him but died later at the hospital.

woodbinepmi
02-19-2016, 10:44 PM
Slap on the wrist.

yea, it is a slap on the wrist, but we are dealing with pinheads (on the track and up in the stewards tower).

EMD4ME
02-19-2016, 11:01 PM
That happened to an outrider at Evangeline a couple years ago after a race, his horse was trotting in front of the grandstand he fell over and onto the track. They brought out the tarp to cover him while they worked on him but died later at the hospital.

1) God rest his soul. Meant no harm to the people that have had that happen.

2) I knew it had happened somewhere at sometime. I believe a jock back 80 years ago. Didn't know about the outrider.

3) If racing people want to get serious with keeping the game alive, INTEGRITY needs to be treated seriously.

Again, sorry to hear that :blush:

cj
02-20-2016, 02:12 PM

Honestly, that seems a little harsh. The track should stop dicking around with floating finish lines.

chenoa
02-20-2016, 02:32 PM
Good ole' Colby rode a 1M 70YD race day prior, and the day of the incident the 5th race was 1M, he didn't ride the 6th. No excuses, punishment needed.

Stillriledup
02-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Honestly, that seems a little harsh. The track should stop dicking around with floating finish lines.

The punishment needs to be equal to the mistake. The current punishments are too light because this stuff keeps happening. EMDs punishment might be too harsh, so it's somewhere in the middle.

It's also not a lot to ask for the jock to know where the race ends.

cj
02-20-2016, 02:35 PM
The punishment needs to be equal to the mistake. The current punishments are too light because this stuff keeps happening. EMDs punishment might be too harsh, so it's somewhere in the middle.

It's also not a lot to ask for the jock to know where the race ends.

He should know, I'm not saying he is without blame. But when you run 90% of the route races with the "alternate" finish line I can't place all the blame on the rider.

camourous
02-20-2016, 02:46 PM
He should know, I'm not saying he is without blame. But when you run 90% of the route races with the "alternate" finish line I can't place all the blame on the rider.

all the other riders in the race seemed to take their job seriously and know which finish line they were supposed to ride to though

cj
02-20-2016, 02:48 PM
all the other riders in the race seemed to take their job seriously and know which finish line they were supposed to ride to though

Like I said, I don't think he is blameless by any means and should be punished. He already blew the winner's share of the purse for himself, but I'm not against a heavy fine as well. Ninety days just seems too severe to me. JMO. I'd give him two weeks and fine him 25k.

RXB
02-20-2016, 02:54 PM

The guy made one mistake about the finish line and you think he doesn't take his job seriously? Shoemaker screwed up on the same issue and cost his connections the Ky Derby; are you suggesting Shoemaker didn't take his job seriously?

AlBundy33
02-20-2016, 03:00 PM
If it were up to me, I'd give him 30 days in the hole.

chenoa
02-20-2016, 03:29 PM

Yeah, but when he rode in a 1M 70YD race the day before, it sure makes you wonder and looks really bad. 30 days minimum.

PaceAdvantage
02-20-2016, 03:59 PM
Like I said, I don't think he is blameless by any means and should be punished. He already blew the winner's share of the purse for himself, but I'm not against a heavy fine as well. Ninety days just seems too severe to me. JMO. I'd give him two weeks and fine him 25k.25k? Damn that sounds harsh for mistaking the finish line.

There are a lot of jocks who would never be able to afford that kind of fine. Then again, maybe that's the point of a deterrent.

cj
02-20-2016, 04:01 PM
25k? Damn that sounds harsh for mistaking the finish line.

There are a lot of jocks who would never be able to afford that kind of fine. Then again, maybe that's the point of a deterrent.

True, but I know he is a guy that can afford it. I would take that into consideration.

banacek
02-20-2016, 04:16 PM
Where do these fines go anyway? How about that 25K being split into the Win/Ex/TRI/? pools as a carryover in a future race? Then the track is attempting to make some amends to the bettors who were screwed - and at the same time the track would probably get a lot more bet into those pools and they'd actually get something out of it as well. Good press to counteract awful press.

Stillriledup
02-20-2016, 04:54 PM
25k? Damn that sounds harsh for mistaking the finish line.

His mistake probably cost at least one gambler 25k.

cj
02-20-2016, 04:55 PM
His mistake probably cost at least one gambler 25k.

Extremely unlikely.

Stillriledup
02-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Extremely unlikely.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars could be shifted depending on track and day, there's a lot of jackpot bets, large carryovers and whatnut. Maybe it don't cost someone 25 large this time, but next time it might. Heck, it could cost someone a pick 6 or pick 5.

Tom
02-20-2016, 05:03 PM
I can see how a guy makes a mistake in the heat of competition. The fine seems ridiculous to me. But at least let's hope the track uses the money for a good cause.....like putting a light as mentioned earlier. OR is that too much to ask of an obviously minor league track?

Probably will use the cash as a bonus for someone's nephew there.

cj
02-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Hundreds of thousands of dollars could be shifted depending on track and day, there's a lot of jackpot bets, large carryovers and whatnut. Maybe it don't cost someone 25 large this time, but next time it might. Heck, it could cost someone a pick 6 or pick 5.'

That is a far cry from saying it probably did cost somebody 25k in this spot. The spin never stops with you, does it?

appistappis
02-21-2016, 01:26 AM
his mistake got me the super............punishment, I think not.

ebcorde
02-21-2016, 09:02 AM
yesterday, unlike football,they do not interview Jockey Trainers after the race. Maybe I'll spend some time researching, was the track slow , was pace a determining factor, or were the Horses not worthy. I did not see the first 6 races. The races I saw LIVE Horses on the lead down the stretch weakened, I don't see a lot of that a in stakes races