PDA

View Full Version : Apple being forced to unlock phones

azeri98
02-17-2016, 06:53 PM
This seems very "Big Brother" to me. I know the concern over terrorism using encryption to coordinate attacks but this is scary to me. Privacy is becoming less important everyday. I find it hilarious that nobody at homeland security, CIA or FBI can crack an iphone. Are they the keystone cops, these are the guys protecting the country?

davew
02-17-2016, 07:07 PM
They just want them to unlock the dead terrorists phone - to find the other terrorists they were working with.

I will not buy from apple again.

_______
02-17-2016, 07:37 PM
They just want them to unlock the dead terrorists phone - to find the other terrorists they were working with.

I will not buy from apple again.

They want a master key that will unlock any similar phone. There is no way for Apple to comply without creating malware for their own product.

I would note that as soon as a backdoor like this is created, it will be targeted by Russia, China, Iran, and every cyber savvy criminal on the planet.

I will continue to buy from Apple until the day they are forced to comply with an order like this. At that point the entire product line becomes unsecure and their market evaporates.

_______
02-17-2016, 07:42 PM
This seems very "Big Brother" to me. I know the concern over terrorism using encryption to coordinate attacks but this is scary to me. Privacy is becoming less important everyday. I find it hilarious that nobody at homeland security, CIA or FBI can crack an iphone. Are they the keystone cops, these are the guys protecting the country?

They could brute force crack a 6 digit numeric code in less than a day. The problem is the phone bricks on the 10th incorrect try.

It's not keystone cops. It's a company that believes in their customers security and created a product that works. Not even Apple can access the data on your IPhone without your cooperation.

Stillriledup
02-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Unlock the phones? I'm confused, can sometime translate this for me (dummies 101) thx

OntheRail
02-17-2016, 07:55 PM
No the request... it's written very narrow. Just this white Iphone. Apple could of cracked this phone in front of a Judge allowing agents to get at contacts ect. Packed up their black bag and and went to lunch. In doing so they give nothing away or open a backdoor. Doing it quietly on the down low with a understanding of Hush Hush like good USA first corp. citizens. But no have to blow an ant hill into Mount Everest.

_______
02-17-2016, 08:05 PM
No the request... it's written very narrow. Just this white Iphone. Apple could of cracked this phone in front of a Judge allowing agents to get at contacts ect. Packed up their black bag and and went to lunch. In doing so they give nothing away or open a backdoor. Doing it quietly on the down low with a understanding of Hush Hush like good USA first corp. citizens. But no have to blow an ant hill into Mount Everest.

This is simply wrong. Apple does not have the capability to "crack" their phones as you imply.

If the order is enforced and assuming it's even possible, Apple would have to create softwear that overcomes the security on the phone. That softwear could also be used to overcome the security on any similar phone.

I guarentee if it was as simple as you imply, Apple would have complied long ago. They are making a mountain of this precisely because the security of their biggest product line is at risk.

redshift1
02-17-2016, 08:06 PM

Think so, read the order:

https://regmedia.co.uk/2016/02/17/apple_order.pdf

_______
02-17-2016, 08:17 PM
Apples biggest market right now is China.

If they comply with a request from the FBI to create a backdoor, how long before they get similar requests from the Peoples Republic?

Add in Great Britain, Russia, Saudi Arabia and on and on.

The idea that anyone who believes in privacy isn't shouting Tim Cook's praises right now is amazing. The silence from Google and Microsoft is also amazing.

If you enjoy spyware on your products, you know where to get them now.

redshift1
02-17-2016, 08:19 PM
They want a master key that will unlock any similar phone. There is no way for Apple to comply without creating malware for their own product.

I would note that as soon as a backdoor like this is created, it will be targeted by Russia, China, Iran, and every cyber savvy criminal on the planet.

I will continue to buy from Apple until the day they are forced to comply with an order like this. At that point the entire product line becomes unsecure and their market evaporates.

Suddenly every iPhone search becomes exigent circumstance approved by "Friendly judges"
just like any simple drug arrest can become a matter of national security when it's favorable to law enforcement.

azeri98
02-17-2016, 08:37 PM
Unlock the phones? I'm confused, can sometime translate this for me (dummies 101) thx
They want Apple to create a software to be able to get into any iphone and view its contents, right now they can't view item that use an encrypted app.

_______
02-17-2016, 08:48 PM
They want Apple to create a software to be able to get into any iphone and view its contents, right now they can't view item that use an encrypted app.

ALL data on your IPhone is encrypted if you have been able to update after 2014. You don't need an app. You just need to be running IOS.

OntheRail
02-17-2016, 10:31 PM
They want them to help disable the ten try and wipe option of the IOS on this phone. (That is a work phone provided by the employer whom owns the phone and has given the Okay to hack it). So they can attempt to guess password.

Tom
02-17-2016, 10:48 PM
Apple is right.
If the government wants that information, let them check Hillary's server.

All we need is a government so totally incompetent, that is gets hacked regularly, messing with computer security.

We are at a larger risk fro the idiots in Washington than any terrorists.
If they can't already get the info they need, than why are they cutting the budget for anti-terrorism?

Had this bunch of pathetic losers and incompetents done their due diligence and checked readily available social media, the terrorists would NEVER have been able to strike in the first place. Do not reward their failures.

NEVER side with the Great Satan, the government of the US. Never.

Fager Fan
02-17-2016, 10:55 PM
Apple created the code that wipes your phone clean after x number of bad password attempts. That means they can easily change that code.

There should be no defense of Apple here. They are dead wrong to not comply with this court order. It's no different than a court order of the phone company to see their records, etc.

If Apple is so worried about not being able to keep this new code secure, then that just tells us how all their code isn't very secure.

Stillriledup
02-17-2016, 10:58 PM

Thanks

zico20
02-17-2016, 11:18 PM
I actually thought about this long and hard before posting. I have come to the conclusion that this is not a privacy issue. There is no question that the information they want is for terrorist activity only. Apple should break the code and give the FBI what they need. It could very well lead to more arrests.

I believe Apple is not going along because they want to sell more phones and they know terrorists around the world use their products. It is a financial issue for Apple, not a privacy one. Apple should have made a statement saying this is a one time deal to protect America from possible future attacks. Any other requests must get a court order and we will then determine if it is in our best interests to oblige.

zico20
02-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Apple is right.
If the government wants that information, let them check Hillary's server.

All we need is a government so totally incompetent, that is gets hacked regularly, messing with computer security.

We are at a larger risk fro the idiots in Washington than any terrorists.
If they can't already get the info they need, than why are they cutting the budget for anti-terrorism?

]Had this bunch of pathetic losers and incompetents done their due diligence and checked readily available social media, the terrorists would NEVER have been able to strike in the first place. Do not reward their failures.[/B]

NEVER side with the Great Satan, the government of the US. Never.

Can we start calling you ayatollah Tom. :lol:

LottaKash
02-17-2016, 11:46 PM
Can we start calling you ayatollah Tom. :lol:
Tom is a member of Ralph Kramden's "Racoon Lodge"....He is the "Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler".... :D

_______
02-17-2016, 11:51 PM
I actually thought about this long and hard before posting. I have come to the conclusion that this is not a privacy issue. There is no question that the information they want is for terrorist activity only. Apple should break the code and give the FBI what they need. It could very well lead to more arrests.

I believe Apple is not going along because they want to sell more phones and they know terrorists around the world use their products. It is a financial issue for Apple, not a privacy one. Apple should have made a statement saying this is a one time deal to protect America from possible future attacks. Any other requests must get a court order and we will then determine if it is in our best interests to oblige.

Apple can't "break the code" just this one time without creating a permanent back door that ANYONE will be able to use.

Either the phone is secure against unwanted spying or it isn't. Once they create the security flaw for "the good guys", it will remain there for anyone else who puts in the effort.

There isn't a magic wand to be waived over this one phone. The government wants Apple to deliberately create a known flaw in the operating system that runs ALL IPHONES.

I'm usually not a CAPS guy but I don't think many of those posting about Apple's position here actually understand what they are being asked to do.

Stillriledup
02-18-2016, 12:20 AM

Think about it longer.

And harder.

forced89
02-18-2016, 12:27 AM

I agree with the above. In addition the Government is going to prevail here. One reason is that the phone in question was owned by the shooter's employer who has agreed with the Government's request. Another reason is that the shooter is dead and therefore can't be disadvantaged by disclosure of what is in his phone.

sammy the sage
02-18-2016, 07:25 AM
Please...Apple already has a back door...and would bet it's in THE cloud...FBI to stupid to look there yet :lol:

Have had some experience getting stuff retrieved that should have been impossible...hell it was on the cloud...imagine that...

that said...am VERY glad their fighting this...well at least that's what they're saying publically...

as Tom has rightfully wrote THIS time around...who's becoming your BIGGEST enemy fast.... :eek:

boxcar
02-18-2016, 09:09 AM
Tom is a member of Ralph Kramden's "Racoon Lodge"....He is the "Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler".... :D

Good grief! I had forgotten that phrase. You're watching too many re-runs. :D

_______
02-18-2016, 09:11 AM
Please...Apple already has a back door...and would bet it's in THE cloud...FBI to stupid to look there yet :lol:

Have had some experience getting stuff retrieved that should have been impossible...hell it was on the cloud...imagine that...

that said...am VERY glad their fighting this...well at least that's what they're saying publically...

as Tom has rightfully wrote THIS time around...who's becoming your BIGGEST enemy fast.... :eek:

Cloud back ups had been turned off since October on this phone. These people were actively covering their tracks.

Fager Fan
02-18-2016, 09:26 AM
The phone is a computer, and them trying to see what's on the phone is no different than going through their computer. No one has a problem with them going through their laptop, but some do have a problem with them going through their phone?

The problem is this weird lock put on the phones that erases all the phone's data if too many failed attempts takes place. Heaven help the innocent souls who forget their own password. What do those people do? Surely Apple helps them every day, do they not?

I am certain that Apple can unlock this single phone if they wanted to, and their excuse is just that, an excuse. It's curious though why they don't want to help.

reckless
02-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Apples biggest market right now is China.

If they comply with a request from the FBI to create a backdoor, how long before they get similar requests from the Peoples Republic?

Add in Great Britain, Russia, Saudi Arabia and on and on.

The idea that anyone who believes in privacy isn't shouting Tim Cook's praises right now is amazing. The silence from Google and Microsoft is also amazing.

If you enjoy spyware on your products, you know where to get them now.

Microsoft and Google first wee-weed on their customers and have now they sold their vapid souls to the government a long time ago. That's why they are silent.

The federal government had ample opportunities to stop the San Bernadino bombers through social media and local law enforcement.

The government is now looking to 'blame' Apple for their (the gov't.) failure to prevent this, and other, terror attacks. I personally hope Tim Cook and Apple stick to their guns.

The slippery slope mentioned by ___________ is right on. You can't trust any government, ever, on any and every matter. If we give up our freedom for security we wind up with neither.

_______
02-18-2016, 09:28 AM
I agree with the above. In addition the Government is going to prevail here. One reason is that the phone in question was owned by the shooter's employer who has agreed with the Government's request. Another reason is that the shooter is dead and therefore can't be disadvantaged by disclosure of what is in his phone.

NOBODY is arguing a case for the shooters privacy.

Look...the government has the right to search my neighbors home if he is suspected of a crime and they obtained a search warrant.

They CAN'T ask the court for a key that opens every door, including mine and yours, with a promise that they are only going to use it this one time.

Creating that key requires creating a weakness in every door that can now be exploited by anyone with some expertise in key making (hacking).

The government has been upset about the success of encryption on our devices for some time. This case isn't the first one where it has stymied an investigation. It is the one where they feel there has been enough publicity that they might get a favorable hearing in the court of public opinion.

You either support their position or the terrorists. I think too many here have fallen for that line of argument.

Fager Fan
02-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Microsoft and Google first wee-weed on their customers and have now they sold their vapid souls to the government a long time ago. That's why they are silent.

The federal government had ample opportunities to stop the San Bernadino bombers through social media and local law enforcement.

The government is now looking to 'blame' Apple for their (the gov't.) failure to prevent this, and other, terror attacks. I personally hope Tim Cook and Apple stick to their guns.

The slippery slope mentioned by ___________ is right on. You can't trust any government, ever, on any and every matter. If we give up our freedom for security we wind up with neither.

Oh, stop it. They haven't "blamed" Apple and this is no more a "slippery slope" than searching through their house and computer. They want to get into the phone. Don't make this something it's not. And damn straight they should look into everything in this phone.

Fager Fan
02-18-2016, 09:36 AM
NOBODY is arguing a case for the shooters privacy.

Look...the government has the right to search my neighbors home if he is suspected of a crime and they obtained a search warrant.

They CAN'T ask the court for a key that opens every door, including mine and yours, with a promise that they are only going to use it this one time.

Creating that key requires creating a weakness in every door that can now be exploited by anyone with some expertise in key making (hacking).

The government has been upset about the success of encryption on our devices for some time. This case isn't the first one where it has stymied an investigation. It is the one where they feel there has been enough publicity that they might get a favorable hearing in the court of public opinion.

You either support their position or the terrorists. I think too many here have fallen for that line of argument.

A locksmith can make a house key and let someone in without ever giving them the key.

They can put this software JUST on that one phone, or better yet delete the code that makes the phone "blow up" after X failed attempts. It's BS that this makes everyone's phone vulnerable.

_______
02-18-2016, 09:36 AM
The phone is a computer, and them trying to see what's on the phone is no different than going through their computer. No one has a problem with them going through their laptop, but some do have a problem with them going through their phone?

The problem is this weird lock put on the phones that erases all the phone's data if too many failed attempts takes place. Heaven help the innocent souls who forget their own password. What do those people do? Surely Apple helps them every day, do they not?

I am certain that Apple can unlock this single phone if they wanted to, and their excuse is just that, an excuse. It's curious though why they don't want to help.

Your "certainty" that Apple can unlock the phone has to be based on a belief in magic. I don't know what else would cause you to think they would defy a court order rather than just waive their secret wand.

People who forget their own passcodes get their phone restored with the last available cloud back up.

_______
02-18-2016, 09:39 AM
A locksmith can make a house key and let someone in without ever giving them the key.

They can put this software JUST on that one phone, or better yet delete the code that makes the phone "blow up" after X failed attempts. It's BS that this makes everyone's phone vulnerable.

I don't want to make this personal but I don't believe you have a real grasp on how encryption works on Apple phones.

They can't hack just one phone without deliberately creating a weakness in their operating system. That would affect everyone who owns an IPhone.

johnhannibalsmith
02-18-2016, 10:45 AM
I should probably pay more attention, but isn't this just the latest in a long fight by our alphabet soup federal investigative/intelligence agencies trying to effectively neuter encryption that hampers their investigations in general? I keep reading about "just this one time", but unless I am mistaken (which is admittedly a real possibility given my failing memory) isn't this more a case of the perfect scenario to use as a catalyst for precedent to get done what they've been pressing for quite some time?

Fager Fan
02-18-2016, 11:13 AM
I don't want to make this personal but I don't believe you have a real grasp on how encryption works on Apple phones.

They can't hack just one phone without deliberately creating a weakness in their operating system. That would affect everyone who owns an IPhone.

This isn't really about encryption but instead the code that makes the iphone blow up if too many incorrect passwords are attempted. They haven't asked for a way around the encryption, like they may need if they crack into the phone without having the phone in their possession.

As for other security concerns regarding encryption backdoors, which I don't think is particularly applicable in this case, Apple could start by not being aligned with China in any way. As long as they are, should they really act self-righteous?

Fager Fan
02-18-2016, 11:14 AM
I should probably pay more attention, but isn't this just the latest in a long fight by our alphabet soup federal investigative/intelligence agencies trying to effectively neuter encryption that hampers their investigations in general? I keep reading about "just this one time", but unless I am mistaken (which is admittedly a real possibility given my failing memory) isn't this more a case of the perfect scenario to use as a catalyst for precedent to get done what they've been pressing for quite some time?

No. They have the phone in their possession. They aren't in need of anything which decrypts anything on that phone.

Tom
02-18-2016, 11:34 AM
When you trade freedom for security, you never get that freedom back nor the security you paid for.

DO NOT ever trust the government.
They do not respect us or our privacy and we should not indulge them in their requests. Let them do the damn jobs right the first time and we will not need to back door this inexcusable breech of our privacy.

The freaking government dropped the ball on this terror attack.
Better we replace the homeland security department give in to them now.

Apple is not the bad guy here - the Obama administration is.

mountainman
02-18-2016, 11:47 AM
This highly publicized recalcitrance constitutes whip smart business on apple's part. Forget whatever small volume of criminal clientele they might attract by holding the line on privacy. Those numbers are dwarfed in comparison to the TENS OF MILLIONS ( in America, alone) engaging in salacious or romantic texts that would cause them considerable grief if brought to light.

What do you think more compels those millions: Seeing a few more terrorists get busted, or having their own secrets kept COMPLETELY secret??

Stillriledup
02-18-2016, 12:01 PM
When you trade freedom for security, you never get that freedom back nor the security you paid for.

They do not respect us or our privacy and we should not indulge them in their requests. Let them do the damn jobs right the first time and we will not need to back door this inexcusable breech of our privacy.

if in theory, there was an actual monetary price put on freedom, it would be in the billions if not trillions of dollars, right? Yet, when something like this comes up, the 'freedom' is the first thing to get sold out and sold down the river. It gets traded and sold like a 19 cent pair of throwaway contact lenses.

Imagine the government sitting at a poker table in the house of a pvt citizen with a pile of chips and one of those chips was 'freedom'. They would toss that chip to the pizza delivery guy as a tip, it would never be treated like it's worth billions, trillions of dollars or was a 'priceless' family heirloom.

Family heirloom pizza tip family heirloom pizza tip hmmmmmmm

Pizza tip.

_______
02-18-2016, 12:03 PM
This isn't really about encryption but instead the code that makes the iphone blow up if too many incorrect passwords are attempted. They haven't asked for a way around the encryption, like they may need if they crack into the phone without having the phone in their possession.

As for other security concerns regarding encryption backdoors, which I don't think is particularly applicable in this case, Apple could start by not being aligned with China in any way. As long as they are, should they really act self-righteous?

I really have no idea where you are getting your information on this issue but you have repeatedly posted information that is wildly wrong.

This is the letter from Tim Cook:

http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

It's a starting point. It certainly shouldn't be the end of the discussion. But reading it will at least give someone a basic understanding of the issue and perhaps avoid further posts that have no factual basis.

Should all other companies also stop doing business in China? Or just Apple?

_______
02-18-2016, 12:08 PM

And despite the nonsense Fager Fan posted in reply to you the answer to your question is clearly yes.

There have been hundreds of criminal investigation stymied by modern encryption. None of them resulted in a court order because no one is going to quietly accept this level of intrusion on EVERYONES privacy because of a drug case.

They are using the fear of terrorism to accomplish something they wouldn't otherwise dare.

OntheRail
02-18-2016, 12:53 PM
And despite the nonsense Fager Fan posted in reply to you the answer to your question is clearly yes.

There have been hundreds of criminal investigation stymied by modern encryption. None of them resulted in a court order because no one is going to quietly accept this level of intrusion on EVERYONES privacy because of a drug case.

They are using the fear of terrorism to accomplish something they wouldn't otherwise dare.
Apple Unlocker (http://www.teeltech.com/mobile-device-forensic-software/mfc-dongle-with-ios-adapter-unlock-tool/)
I'm sure there have been CO and they used a package like that to get the PW.

I believe all software companies build a hack to defeat their new products It's part of R&D... then in time use it to spur new sales or upgrades to fix that hack while waiting to unleash the next. None are Saints.

_______
02-18-2016, 01:15 PM
Apple Unlocker (http://www.teeltech.com/mobile-device-forensic-software/mfc-dongle-with-ios-adapter-unlock-tool/)
I'm sure there have been CO and they used a package like that to get the PW.

I believe all software companies build a hack to defeat their new products It's part of R&D... then in time use it to spur new sales or upgrades to fix that hack while waiting to unleash the next. None are Saints.

That works with devices running pre-2014 IOS. The current IOS (9.whatever) is fully encrypted.

Tom
02-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Even Hillary couldn't jeopardize national secrets using it!

Stillriledup
02-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Even Hillary couldn't jeopardize national secrets using it!

oShTJ90fC34

Fager Fan
02-18-2016, 03:58 PM
I really have no idea where you are getting your information on this issue but you have repeatedly posted information that is wildly wrong.

This is the letter from Tim Cook:

http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

It's a starting point. It certainly shouldn't be the end of the discussion. But reading it will at least give someone a basic understanding of the issue and perhaps avoid further posts that have no factual basis.

Should all other companies also stop doing business in China? Or just Apple?

What exactly is your background? Unless you're a programmer of great expertise, please don't tell me and others that there isn't a way. Go read some tech forums and you'll hear plenty of people with programming experience saying there certainly are ways for Apple to comply. Just because you bought Apple's official stance hook, line and sinker doesn't mean everyone else does.

Fager Fan
02-18-2016, 04:02 PM

Conspiracy theorist much? Again, wanting to gain entrance into this phone is no different than wanting to gain entrance into a computer. The issue here is that there's basically a bomb attached to the computer that's keeping them from taking too many attempts at hacking the passcode. I have no problem with the bomb squad removing the bomb from a computer, and I have no problem with Apple taking this phone, unlocking it, and giving it to the authorities.

_______
02-18-2016, 04:10 PM
What exactly is your background? Unless you're a programmer of great expertise, please don't tell me and others that there isn't a way. Go read some tech forums and you'll hear plenty of people with programming experience saying there certainly are ways for Apple to comply. Just because you bought Apple's official stance hook, line and sinker doesn't mean everyone else does.

I don't think I've ever stated there isn't a way for Apple to comply. I've said there isn't a way for Apple to comply that doesn't compromise the security of millions of users.

If your browsing of tech forums has revealed an easy solution, you should post that instead of the misinformation that has characterized much of your contributions to date.

_______
02-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Conspiracy theorist much? Again, wanting to gain entrance into this phone is no different than wanting to gain entrance into a computer. The issue here is that there's basically a bomb attached to the computer that's keeping them from taking too many attempts at hacking the passcode. I have no problem with the bomb squad removing the bomb from a computer, and I have no problem with Apple taking this phone, unlocking it, and giving it to the authorities.

Not much of a conspiracy theorist at all. Check my posts in the Scalia thread.

Apple has carefully built a device that even they cannot unlock. That is far more secure than most of our computers.

Again, if there were a magic wand that existed which could unlock only that one phone without compromising the security of everyone else's, I'd be all for it. Your continued insistence that such an avenue exists seems immune to persuasion so I'll stop trying. Please don't take any of my potential future responses to others in this thread as directed at you.

Greyfox
02-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Apple has carefully built a device that even they cannot unlock. That is far more secure than most of our computers.

That's good for the security of privacy.

What concerns me is the apparent fact that their are no technological wizards in the Department of Defense or Homeland Security who can't crack it either.
As long as I can remember, decrypting codes has been the specialty of militaries.
I suspect that there has to be some whiz's in the Department of Defense who could get into any phone if they had to.
The Government isn't telling all it knows here.

zico20
02-18-2016, 04:44 PM
I don't think I've ever stated there isn't a way for Apple to comply. I've said there isn't a way for Apple to comply that doesn't compromise the security of millions of users.

If your browsing of tech forums has revealed an easy solution, you should post that instead of the misinformation that has characterized much of your contributions to date.

So if someone forgets their password they have to buy a new phone?

_______
02-18-2016, 04:47 PM
That's good for the security of privacy.

What concerns me is the apparent fact that their are no technological wizards in the Department of Defense or Homeland Security who can't crack it either.
As long as I can remember, decrypting codes has been the specialty of militaries.
I suspect that there has to be some whiz's in the Department of Defense who could get into any phone if they had to.
The Government isn't telling all it knows here.

Most tech companies, until recently including Apple, have been complicit in building devices with known security flaws. That allowed easy access for our government, along with every repressive regime and determined cyber criminal, to easily access data.

That changed with IOS 9 which effectively closed the door on all three.

The court case isn't a feint.

_______
02-18-2016, 04:53 PM
So if someone forgets their password they have to buy a new phone?

No. They get their phone back with their last ICloud backup.

Mine is every 3-4 days. I could do it more often if I was worried about an aneurism wiping out my ability to remember 6 numbers.

I suspect that given given the other steps taken (the phone wasn't backed up for many weeks prior to the attack), they probably enabled an alpha numeric password that will be far harder to crack than just 6 digits.

myhorse1
02-18-2016, 06:06 PM
from bgr.com

On a technical level, Apple could carry out the order by creating a RAM disk signed by the company’s production certificate for the specific ECID of the suspect’s iPhone. This solution would allow Apple to use existing technologies in the firmware file format to grant access to the phone ensuring that there is no possible way the same solution would work on another device.

_______
02-18-2016, 06:12 PM
from bgr.com

On a technical level, Apple could carry out the order by creating a RAM disk signed by the company’s production certificate for the specific ECID of the suspect’s iPhone. This solution would allow Apple to use existing technologies in the firmware file format to grant access to the phone ensuring that there is no possible way the same solution would work on another device.

This bgr.com?

http://bgr.com/2016/02/18/iphone-encryption-secure-enclave-fbi/

A direct link would help.

davew
02-18-2016, 06:13 PM
No. They get their phone back with their last ICloud backup.

Mine is every 3-4 days. I could do it more often if I was worried about an aneurism wiping out my ability to remember 6 numbers.

I suspect that given given the other steps taken (the phone wasn't backed up for many weeks prior to the attack), they probably enabled an alpha numeric password that will be far harder to crack than just 6 digits.

What about the forgotten access code? and how do they get the ICloud backup without access to IPhone?

myhorse1
02-18-2016, 06:16 PM
"This bgr.com?

http://bgr.com/2016/02/18/iphone-en...re-enclave-fbi/"

yes

myhorse1
02-18-2016, 06:22 PM
link to full article

http://bgr.com/2016/02/18/apple-fbi-backdoor-will-strafach-opinion/

_______
02-18-2016, 06:31 PM
What about the forgotten access code? and how do they get the ICloud backup without access to IPhone?

I'm not sure what your question is here. My response was to someone asking what happens if you forget the passcode on an IPhone you possess. You basically go ahead and brick your phone (restore it's original settings). You then use your Apple ID and password (which is different than the password that unlocks the phone) to restore the phone to it's last ICloud backup.

You can't backup a phone you don't possess.

azeri98
02-18-2016, 07:06 PM

Agreed the NSA has been listening in on innocent peoples phone calls for years, Why? For what reason? I guess liberty doesn't mean anything anymore.

sammy the sage
02-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Cloud back ups had been turned off since October on this phone. These people were actively covering their tracks.

Would bet it's NEVER off...no way for a nobody like me to prove it...

_______
02-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Would bet it's NEVER off...no way for a nobody like me to prove it...

I don't turn mine off. It backs up anytime it's plugged in with access to wifi.

But it's easy to turn off. Tap Settings. Tap ICloud. Slide the ICloud switch to off.

According to the FBI the phone had not been backed up since October. And I don't believe this is all a feint.

kevb
02-18-2016, 08:26 PM
This commentary from someone who seems to know what they are talking about:

https://bgr.com/2016/02/18/apple-fbi-backdoor-will-strafach-opinion/

Fager Fan
02-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Not much of a conspiracy theorist at all. Check my posts in the Scalia thread.

Again, if there were a magic wand that existed which could unlock only that one phone without compromising the security of everyone else's, I'd be all for it. Your continued insistence that such an avenue exists seems immune to persuasion so I'll stop trying. Please don't take any of my potential future responses to others in this thread as directed at you.

You're a bit arrogant, and from what I can tell, you have no reason to be. You only keep regurgitating Apple as if that makes you all-knowing.

Apple can make the new OS requested and put it on this phone. This "dangerous" new OS would NOT be on all the millions of phones they claim would be jeopardized, so that's a flat out lie. If they really think the simple existence of this new OS code is dangerous, then they can destroy it immediately from their own offices as well as on this particular phone after giving the FBI a couple hours to look at all the contacts, etc.

If Apple thinks that their programmers can't be trusted to not share the software in existence in their office, how are they ensuring that these same programmers aren't doing some private coding on their own computers at home?

Apple's claims are bogus. This is being made into a privacy and "us versus the government" argument, and all SHOULD be just fine with the government being allowed to access this murdering terrorist's phone. If you think differently, then you're letting some other reasoning override your common sense. They had a second attack planned, and we should see all that is on that phone.

Nutz and Boltz
02-18-2016, 09:58 PM
There is no such thing as"privacy" any longer. We all talk about privacy, but tweet out to the world every time we take a crap. C'mon guys, Apple already has the back door open and the flies are getting in. They want it all for themselves before Microsoft grabs it.

" They're coming to take me away ha,ha." :D

_______
02-19-2016, 09:37 AM
http://9to5mac.com/2016/02/19/applefbi-fight-looks-destined-to-go-all-the-way-to-the-supreme-court-as-more-background-is-revealed/

Looks to raise security on the Mac and IPad lines to IPhone level.

Spiderman
02-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Apple has received an extension, from Tuesday to Friday, to comply. A deal is in the air.

It is my gut instinct that FBI wanted to bust open all encryption of phones, computers, tablets, etc. They could have easily approached Tim Cook without publicity and the attendant much ado. Easy enough to deputize Tim and a select few at Apple with fast-track top security clearance for this one phone. All done in strictest confidence and security. Never would have been in the news.

If the situation goes before the court, IMHO, maintaining 1st Amendment Rights will prevail. The court may recommend a solution for both parties to maintain privacy rights while garnering the contact information of the terrorists. Dead terrorists have no right to privacy.

Fager Fan
02-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Apple has received an extension, from Tuesday to Friday, to comply. A deal is in the air.

It is my gut instinct that FBI wanted to bust open all encryption of phones, computers, tablets, etc. They could have easily approached Tim Cook without publicity and the attendant much ado. Easy enough to deputize Tim and a select few at Apple with fast-track top security clearance for this one phone. All done in strictest confidence and security. Never would have been in the news.

If the situation goes before the court, IMHO, maintaining 1st Amendment Rights will prevail. The court may recommend a solution for both parties to maintain privacy rights while garnering the contact information of the terrorists. Dead terrorists have no right to privacy.

I'd bet on the gov if this goes to court. This is a perfectly legal court order, with ample evidence. In addition, the person being "violated" is both a terrorist, and dead, so there's no violation there. And the person who actually owns the phone has given approval. There's not the tiniest thing about this order that is wrong, amoral, or unconstitutional.

Apple should comply, and I hope they get their ass whipped in court if they want to keep fighting this. All they care about is sales. Their founder was a first-class jerk and this guy looks like he's carrying on that character trait.

Greyfox
02-19-2016, 12:48 PM
Apple shouldn't have to comply.
The Pentagon or Homeland security should have wizards on staff who can stop the erase program and decode the pass word.
If they haven't got that type of person on staff, I'll eat my hat.

_______
02-19-2016, 02:24 PM
This will certainly be an interesting case to follow and although I hope Apple prevails in defending our privacy, there are potential technology solutions if they lose.

If they required user confirmation via a password before a firmware update, that would defeat the avenue the government wants to follow.

Alternately, they can burn secure enclave into ROM. That means they lose the ability to update it entirely.

I just changed the password on my IPhone from 6 digit numeric to 12 digit alphanumeric. That will take years to brute force. My guess is that every terrorist who is paying attention has already done the same thing.

highnote
02-19-2016, 02:24 PM
I've said this before...

More people die of heart disease every day than died in the 9/11 bombings.

There are bigger threats to life and liberty than terrorists.

If the government can force this cell phone to be unlocked then the terrorists will have gotten another victory.

Fager Fan
02-19-2016, 03:18 PM
I've said this before...

More people die of heart disease every day than died in the 9/11 bombings.

There are bigger threats to life and liberty than terrorists.

If the government can force this cell phone to be unlocked then the terrorists will have gotten another victory.

You all are a bunch of alarmists.

So I guess you all are against law enforcement ever being authorized to search a person, a car, a home, a computer.

There's a bigger threat that I'll die from something else than an armed robber in a convenience store but that doesn't matter one bit and I still want that armed robber investigated and punished.

highnote
02-19-2016, 03:41 PM
You all are a bunch of alarmists.

Funny. That's exactly what I was thinking about your position on this topic. :D

Tom
02-19-2016, 03:56 PM
So I guess you all are against law enforcement ever being authorized to search a person, a car, a home, a computer.

A person, A car, A home, A computer, no.

ALL people, ALL cars, ALL homes, ALL computers, yes.
This is what the government wants.

davew
02-19-2016, 08:15 PM
WTH is going on - Apple says password was reset a day after the shooter was dead. There is either another terrorist or a fool working for the county, and surely they would know what the new password is.

https://gma.yahoo.com/san-bernardino-shooters-apple-id-passcode-changed-while-234003785--abc-news-topstories.html

_______
02-19-2016, 08:32 PM
The Apple ID passcode referenced in the article is not the same as the passcode to unlock the phone.

It's basically the passcode you need to buy anything in ITunes, update your credit card info in Apple Pay, etc.

It certainly would have been useful for getting info by backing up the phone and then examining the information stored on ICloud.

Fager Fan
02-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Funny. That's exactly what I was thinking about your position on this topic. :D

You might want to look the word up in the dictionary.

Fager Fan
02-19-2016, 10:25 PM
A person, A car, A home, A computer, no.

ALL people, ALL cars, ALL homes, ALL computers, yes.
This is what the government wants.

Wrong. That's your paranoia talking or something.

johnhannibalsmith
02-19-2016, 10:47 PM
Problem solved, McAfee will do it for free so Apple won't have to.

http://www.businessinsider.com/john-mcafee-ill-decrypt-san-bernardino-phone-for-free-2016-2

highnote
02-19-2016, 11:03 PM
You might want to look the word up in the dictionary.

I did look it up... just to be certain... and I was right... it pretty much defines your position.

"a person who tends to raise alarms, especially without sufficient reason, as by exaggerating dangers or prophesying calamities."

Here are a couple of examples just to let you know I understood the word as you first used it:

It is an exaggeration that the danger of terror is so great that the whole of the United States will be in imminent danger of falling into the hands of terrorists if U.S. citizens are not forced to give up their liberties by requiring U.S. manufacturers to produce technology products with backdoors only available to law enforcement agencies.

You are an alarmist if you believe that the dangers of terrorism to U.S. society are so great that government agencies must be given unlimited access to cell phones made by U.S. manufacturers.

Stillriledup
02-20-2016, 01:47 AM

http://www.businessinsider.com/john-mcafee-ill-decrypt-san-bernardino-phone-for-free-2016-2

Thanks for posting that, a great read. :ThmbUp:

Fager Fan
02-20-2016, 07:29 AM
I did look it up... just to be certain... and I was right... it pretty much defines your position.

"a person who tends to raise alarms, especially without sufficient reason, as by exaggerating dangers or prophesying calamities."

Here are a couple of examples just to let you know I understood the word as you first used it:

It is an exaggeration that the danger of terror is so great that the whole of the United States will be in imminent danger of falling into the hands of terrorists if U.S. citizens are not forced to give up their liberties by requiring U.S. manufacturers to produce technology products with backdoors only available to law enforcement agencies.

You are an alarmist if you believe that the dangers of terrorism to U.S. society are so great that government agencies must be given unlimited access to cell phones made by U.S. manufacturers.

You have a reading comprehension problem. I've said nothing about needing this to fight terrorism. I said they have a legal court order that any reasonable person would see as valid. Good try though, as you use alarmist speech yet again saying letting authorities into this phone somehow forces us to give up our liberties.

sammy the sage
02-20-2016, 07:41 AM

HHHHmmmmmmmmmm.....talk about Pandora's box or a can of worms....

as if this doesn't already happen anyways...

Fager Fan
02-20-2016, 07:50 AM

What's most surprising about this article is to find this guy is living free in the U.S. after the damning evidence that he committed murder in Belize.

johnhannibalsmith
02-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Not only living free, but running for President. I guess, in a way, it makes perfect sense. :lol:

Tom
02-20-2016, 10:02 AM
McAfee probably WANTS unstable platforms.....good for business.

Fager Fan
02-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Not only living free, but running for President. I guess, in a way, it makes perfect sense. :lol:

Not much of a ground game given I hadn't heard of him running until now. ;)

Doesn't him saying that he can hack it mean it's not as secure as Apple claims?

From my standpoint, the gov has not only a legal right but is in the ethical right in wanting to view the full contents of this phone. I understand that they have about 130 other similar requests, and I feel ok that these 130 cases are of drug dealers or criminals where the evidence given to the court is sufficient for the court order. I don't see this as threatening me and other innocents anymore than the home, computer and other legal searches that take place every day.

If there is a court order allowing the search of a computer and we find the computer has been put in a safe, and that safe will explode the computer if too many attempts are made to crack the safe's lock, I am perfectly ok with them having the manufacturer of the safe be required to open that safe. This is the perfect analogy of what is happening here.

boxcar
02-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Not much of a ground game given I hadn't heard of him running until now. ;)

Doesn't him saying that he can hack it mean it's not as secure as Apple claims?

From my standpoint, the gov has not only a legal right but is in the ethical right in wanting to view the full contents of this phone. I understand that they have about 130 other similar requests, and I feel ok that these 130 cases are of drug dealers or criminals where the evidence given to the court is sufficient for the court order. I don't see this as threatening me and other innocents anymore than the home, computer and other legal searches that take place every day.

If there is a court order allowing the search of a computer and we find the computer has been put in a safe, and that safe will explode the computer if too many attempts are made to crack the safe's lock, I am perfectly ok with them having the manufacturer of the safe be required to open that safe. This is the perfect analogy of what is happening here.

Errr....'scuse me, but no, this is not a "perfect analogy". Trust me on this 'cause I'm pretty good at giving sound analogies.

Think this through more carefully. Think first what the government is asking, then think about your safe analogy. This way you won't need me to expose the flaw in your "perfect" analogy. ;)

_______
02-20-2016, 11:11 AM

McAfee is certainly brilliant, though that's mixed in with a substantial dose of crazy.

I'd love to hear details of his teams plans to "social engineer" a dead terrorist. That term usually means tricking someone into giving up information. I'm unclear exactly what the first step in that process is when it comes to the deceased.

Fager Fan
02-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Errr....'scuse me, but no, this is not a "perfect analogy". Trust me on this 'cause I'm pretty good at giving sound analogies.

Think this through more carefully. Think first what the government is asking, then think about your safe analogy. This way you won't need me to expose the flaw in your "perfect" analogy. ;)

Sure it is. Try to expose it if you want.

highnote
02-20-2016, 11:21 AM
You have a reading comprehension problem. I've said nothing about needing this to fight terrorism.

Wrong again. You started trolling me by quoting my post where I mentioned terrorism. You used my post with the word terrorism in it to make a point that people on this board are being alarmist. :D

boxcar
02-20-2016, 11:33 AM
McAfee is certainly brilliant, though that's mixed in with a substantial dose of crazy.

I'd love to hear details of his teams plans to "social engineer" a dead terrorist. That term usually means tricking someone into giving up information. I'm unclear exactly what the first step in that process is when it comes to the deceased.

First order of business would be to contract with a medium. :D :D

boxcar
02-20-2016, 11:44 AM
Sure it is. Try to expose it if you want.

Okay...you asked for it... :rolleyes:

What the government is asking is for Apple to write software that would not only grant them access to the deceased's phone but ostensibly create a backdoor into into all (I5?) phones. This could give the government opportunity to abuse the privacy of other Apple users. This is why your safe-computer analogy breaks down badly. There is only one safe and there is only [b]one[b] computer inside the safe. Therefore, no one else's computer or safe is at risk.

Glad to help out...

Fager Fan
02-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Wrong again. You started trolling me by quoting my post where I mentioned terrorism. You used my post with the word terrorism in it to make a point that people on this board are being alarmist. :D

Keep reaching. I called you and others alarmists because of things like you saying the terrorsts will have won if Apple has to comply. I on the other hand think this isn't a big deal at all. This makes you an alarmist and me the opposite. But thanks for playing.

Greyfox
02-20-2016, 12:11 PM
This article claims that Apple has already given China the software to the Security Backdoor.

http://www.france24.com/en/20160219-usa-apple-plays-digital-privacy-hardball-with-fbi-but-not-china

"Citing reports by Chinese daily Beijing News and the state-run People's Daily, the article claimed that Cook agreed in January 2015 to allow authorities in China to carry out “security checks” on all iPhones sold in the country to make sure the US had not installed any spyware. But, Apple has never confirmed or responded to the allegations.

The article reported that analysts believe Apple likely handed over its operating system source code as part of the agreement. If true, this would mean that the Chinese government knows how Apple’s software works, including its security system."

boxcar
02-20-2016, 12:34 PM
This article claims that Apple has already given China the software to the Security Backdoor.

http://www.france24.com/en/20160219-usa-apple-plays-digital-privacy-hardball-with-fbi-but-not-china

"Citing reports by Chinese daily Beijing News and the state-run People's Daily, the article claimed that Cook agreed in January 2015 to allow authorities in China to carry out “security checks” on all iPhones sold in the country to make sure the US had not installed any spyware. But, Apple has never confirmed or responded to the allegations.

The article reported that analysts believe Apple likely handed over its operating system source code as part of the agreement. If true, this would mean that the Chinese government knows how Apple’s software works, including its security system."

How many people are there in China? Just follow the scent of money....Apple, very clearly, has quite a nose for the green stuff.

highnote
02-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Keep reaching. I called you and others alarmists because of things like you saying the terrorsts will have won if Apple has to comply. I on the other hand think this isn't a big deal at all. This makes you an alarmist and me the opposite. But thanks for playing.

You're wrong again, but feel free to keep trying. You're alarmed that some of us think it is no big deal to keep government from having the ability to snoop into every area of U.S. citizens lives. I'm not alarmed by your position, just disappointed in you for having it.

boxcar
02-20-2016, 03:42 PM
You're wrong again, but feel free to keep trying. You're alarmed that some of us think it is no big deal to keep government from having the ability to snoop into every area of U.S. citizens lives. I'm not alarmed by your position, just disappointed in you for having it.

You're quite right, Highnote. Communist China is a great example. Sure...the Chinese government's official reason for having the codes that would give them access to all phones was to prohibit or restrict U.S. spying. And while there is truth in that, it's just as true that Commies always want to keep a watchful eye (or in this case a listening ear) to the citizens' phone conversations. Commies are always watchful for signs of revolution!

Tom
02-20-2016, 03:46 PM

Well if this is true, it changes everything.
What did Apple do, have Obama and Kerry negotiate the deal with China????
If their argument about the danger posed by cooperating in the US is valid, then them having already given it to a foreign nations should be treason, no?

boxcar
02-20-2016, 04:29 PM
If their argument about the danger posed by cooperating in the US is valid, then them having already given it to a foreign nations should be treason, no?

Nah...just good business sense! :D

upthecreek
02-23-2016, 06:39 AM
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-apple-vs-fbi-protests-planned-across-the-nation-over-phone-privacy-20160222-story.html

ebcorde
02-23-2016, 10:31 AM
had 11 guns. I've been noticing many of these mass killers/terrorists seem to have more than 1 gun. Yet the FBI blames the cell phone for the violence.

Tom
02-23-2016, 12:21 PM
We need a 5 day awaiting period for Uber cabs.

Fager Fan
02-23-2016, 12:38 PM
had 11 guns. I've been noticing many of these mass killers/terrorists seem to have more than 1 gun. Yet the FBI blames the cell phone for the violence.

Vying for Stupid Post of the Day?

Fager Fan
02-23-2016, 12:45 PM
What do you know? I've been right all along.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/23/technology/bill-gates-apple-fbi-encryption/

boxcar
02-24-2016, 04:12 PM
....the government want's to expand its horizons by getting Apple to crack open multiple IPhones.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/justice-department-wants-apple-to-unlock-nine-more-iphones/ar-BBpU3G7?li=BBnbcA1

I predict this case will eventually make it to the SC. And when it does it'll be one of the most significant case law verdicts in the land.

Stillriledup
02-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Amazing how us Govt can bully Americans and American companies into making their products 'less good'.

corruption running Wild.

davew
02-24-2016, 06:34 PM
Amazing how us Govt can bully Americans and American companies into making their products 'less good'.

corruption running Wild.

Good for what? supplying material support to terrorists?

Stillriledup
02-24-2016, 09:58 PM

As a consumer of Apple products, I prefer to have a more secure phone vs a less secure one.

highnote
02-24-2016, 09:58 PM
....the government want's to expand its horizons by getting Apple to crack open multiple IPhones.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/justice-department-wants-apple-to-unlock-nine-more-iphones/ar-BBpU3G7?li=BBnbcA1

I predict this case will eventually make it to the SC. And when it does it'll be one of the most significant case law verdicts in the land.

Which Supreme Court justice would be most likely to rule in favor of unlocking the iphone?

Tom
02-24-2016, 10:22 PM

The terrorists are rooting for the FBI.
Forcing the key to the encryption will open the doors to them, who are pretty much internet experts.

Funny, the whole California attack could have been averted had the FBI used legal access to social media - read that as doing their damn job - and finding out about the muslim bitch.

The LAST think anyone should do is aid the feds in anything.

FREE APPLE!
FREE APPLE!

redshift1
02-24-2016, 11:03 PM

There in lies the government strategy.

Apple makes phones.

Terrorists use phones

Apple makes phones that terrorists use.

Therefore Apple abets terrorism.

Just a ploy to sway public sentiment towards the governments' position.

Stillriledup
02-25-2016, 12:04 AM

Apple makes phones.

Terrorists use phones

Good post.

Is there ONE american citizen (other than fat cat banking and wall st slime) who can say with a straight face IM PROUD OF MY GOVERNMENT.

Probably take a long time to find someone. (No, people born last night don't count)

davew
02-25-2016, 01:01 AM
Good post.

Is there ONE american citizen (other than fat cat banking and wall st slime) who can say with a straight face IM PROUD OF MY GOVERNMENT.

Probably take a long time to find someone. (No, people born last night don't count)

There are a lot of people 'proud' of their government.

Most would belong to either of the following groups
- people working or retired with big pension from the government
- people who do not work but live of the government subsidies

sammy the sage
02-25-2016, 07:11 AM

Apple makes phones.

Terrorists use phones

EXACTLY what is said
/written ABOUT gun manufacturers

reckless
02-25-2016, 09:14 AM

- people who do not work but live off the government subsidies

Bingo, davew...you just identified the majority of the Democrat Party base.

davew
03-29-2016, 04:25 PM
It sounds like McAffee hooked the FBI up with some hackers to help unlock the phone.

They succeeded and with all the celebration and high-fives, a glass of water was accidentally spilled on it, making it useless.

Stillriledup
03-29-2016, 05:36 PM

- people who do not work but live of the government subsidies

Thank you. I stand corrected! :D

Fager Fan
03-29-2016, 06:02 PM
It sounds like McAffee hooked the FBI up with some hackers to help unlock the phone.

They succeeded and with all the celebration and high-fives, a glass of water was accidentally spilled on it, making it useless.

So much for it being secure and uncrackable....

Apple doesn't win after all.

_______
03-29-2016, 07:16 PM
So much for it being secure and uncrackable....

Apple doesn't win after all.

As usual in this thread, you miss the point.

The government was asking for a back door that would allow them entry to access any data stored on any iPhone. Apple appropriately stood by their commitment to securing data for all their customers.

And when the public dialogue wasnt going the way the government wanted, they suddenly found a way to physically crack a phone in their possession without needing the key to everyone else's.

The phone I carry in my pocket is as secure today as it was a week ago. The news that if someone gets possession of it and wants to go through the trouble of opening it up and replacing chips, they can access the data isn't nearly as frightening as knowing that anyone with access to the malware the government wanted written could do the same.

I'm glad the government will be able to access the data on that phone. I'm even happier they didn't succeed this time into stampeding a panicky public into demanding the ability to access EVERYONES data.

betovernetcapper
03-29-2016, 08:25 PM
I've had mixed feelings about this thing from the beginning. I can see value in each side's arguments. What I'm very amused with is that Apple may find themselves in the position of asking the FBI how the hack is done. :)

Fager Fan
03-29-2016, 09:21 PM
As usual in this thread, you miss the point.

The government was asking for a back door that would allow them entry to access any data stored on any iPhone. Apple appropriately stood by their commitment to securing data for all their customers.

And when the public dialogue wasnt going the way the government wanted, they suddenly found a way to physically crack a phone in their possession without needing the key to everyone else's.

The phone I carry in my pocket is as secure today as it was a week ago. The news that if someone gets possession of it and wants to go through the trouble of opening it up and replacing chips, they can access the data isn't nearly as frightening as knowing that anyone with access to the malware the government wanted written could do the same.

I'm glad the government will be able to access the data on that phone. I'm even happier they didn't succeed this time into stampeding a panicky public into demanding the ability to access EVERYONES data.

I didn't miss the point at all. Outside hackers did what Apple refused to do, and as a result, the world knows the OS isn't secure after all.

davew
03-29-2016, 11:55 PM
I didn't miss the point at all. Outside hackers did what Apple refused to do, and as a result, the world knows the OS isn't secure after all.

It is still secure in that someone from the other side of the world, can not gain access to all the information in your phone, like they can do to many computers.

barahona44
03-30-2016, 01:46 AM
Well betovernetcapper,you called it.
Oh, irony of ironies, Apple wants the feds to tell them how the phone was hacked.
I say it's 1/9 the feds DON'T give up the info.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-next-steps-20160330-story.html

betovernetcapper
03-30-2016, 04:01 AM
Well betovernetcapper,you called it.
Oh, irony of ironies, Apple wants the feds to tell them how the phone was hacked.
I say it's 1/9 the feds DON'T give up the info.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-next-steps-20160330-story.html

Like I said, I really have a dog in this fight, but I find the ending really amusing. :)

sammy the sage
03-30-2016, 06:54 AM
:lol: :D :D :rolleyes: :faint: ...ya'll believe everything ya read now....ya hear...