PDA

View Full Version : Parx Debacle

Rise Over Run
02-17-2016, 09:50 AM
Planned winter break from racing: 12/23/15 - 2/12/16

Planned track closure to install new safety rail: 1/3/16 - ~1/24/16

1/27/16: Expecting to re-open the track for training between 1/30/16 and 2/1/16 due to delays associated with heavy snowfall. Opening day pushed back 1 week to 2/20/16.

2/1/16: Expecting to re-open track for limited training on 2/4/16

2/9/16: Additional snow (2-3 inches) delays training until 2/12/16. Entries for 2/20/16 card to be drawn: “It’s going to be interesting,” Elliott (Parx Racing Director) said. “I’m going to write extra races at five furlongs to try and get everyone started back.” :lol: :lol:

2/12/16: Opening day pushed back 1 week to 2/27/16. Training will resume 2/15/16.

Through yesterday (2/16/16), training has still not resumed.

Does anybody miss Parx anyway? :liar: :liar:

upthecreek
02-17-2016, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=Rise Over Run]Planned winter break from racing: 12/23/15 - 2/12/16

1/27/16: Expecting to re-open the track for training between 1/30/16 and 2/1/16 due to delays associated with heavy snowfall. Opening day pushed back 1 week to 2/20/16.

2/9/16: Additional snow (2-3 inches) delays training until 2/12/16. Entries for 2/20/16 card to be drawn: “It’s going to be interesting,” Elliott (Parx Racing Director) said. “I’m going to write extra races at five furlongs to try and get everyone started back.” :lol: :lol:

2/12/16: Opening day pushed back 1 week to 2/27/16. Training will resume 2/15/16.

Does anybody miss Parx anyway? :liar: :liar:[/QUOTE

Only Rich Perloff in his handi-capsule

Mandrake
02-17-2016, 10:31 AM
We shall see if all the trainers who went elsewhere miss it, or if they stay where they are until Parx gets it's act together. If the latter, then I would hate to see how small the fields are going to be when they finally figure it all out.

ebcorde
02-17-2016, 10:40 AM
45 minutes away. Forgot all about them. I don't like cold weather racing. I wonder how the riders feel about the long winter layoff,

I think Every time Keith Jones yelled "Hello!" I think I ripped up my ticket. That's my feeling on it

Mandrake
02-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Mychel Sanchez seemed to be live at Laurel and brought in some nice prices. I think that kid has a future. Pennington went to Tampa and he seems like he can't get any mounts. Most of the others went to Penn National.

therussmeister
02-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Planned winter break from racing: 12/23/15 - 2/12/16

Yes, now that Laurel is done with Mondays I will miss Parx.

Stillriledup
02-17-2016, 11:40 AM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119715&highlight=Parx

Seems like I was right after all. It was a Parx problem and not really a weather problem.

therussmeister
02-17-2016, 08:46 PM
We shall see if all the trainers who went elsewhere miss it, or if they stay where they are until Parx gets it's act together. If the latter, then I would hate to see how small the fields are going to be when they finally figure it all out.
A lot of them went to Laurel, but Laurel is done for about a month.

tanner12oz
02-17-2016, 08:49 PM
Weren't the purses insane there last year? Horsemen might be missing them..

EMD4ME
02-17-2016, 08:49 PM

What is Parx? Is that a food that was offered at NYRA tracks? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, I actually like them closing for 2 months. It helped (by a hair) the horse population at AQU. It's 1 example of solid contraction ( I detest contraction but.....)

Rise Over Run
02-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Weren't the purses insane there last year? Horsemen might be missing them..

They bumped up the purses significantly for about 45 days last fall.

ReplayRandall
02-17-2016, 11:38 PM
I actually like them closing for 2 months. It helped (by a hair) the horse population at AQU. It's 1 example of solid contraction ( I detest contraction but.....)

That's right, I knew the truth would finally come out of you..... :lol:

NorCalGreg
02-18-2016, 12:04 AM
Parx just might be my favorite track--a toss-up between that one & Penn.

The Parx Festival of Giant Purses notwithstanding--most horsemen can't survive on the meager purses in the lower ranks. They absolutely MUST supplement their income at the windows, to continue on in the business.

My entire handicapping methods and logic are based on this fact--and Parx & Penn are a virtual wonderland of manipulation--from entering horses at the wrong distance, wrong class, getting a horse worked out WITHIN a race, etc...all designed and planned to keep bettors guessing. And eventually they look to cash @ big odds.

A lot of fans (and bettors) detest lower claiming ranks--they prefer their horses--and connections-- give 100% every time.

I get my kicks in the pursuit of figuring out exactly when "Today's The Day".

To each his own :)

-NCG

castaway01
02-18-2016, 07:59 AM

The Parx Festival of Giant Purses notwithstanding--most horsemen can't survive on the meager purses in the lower ranks. They absolutely MUST supplement their income at the windows, to continue on in the business.

My entire handicapping methods and logic are based on this fact--and Parx & Penn are a virtual wonderland of manipulation--from entering horses at the wrong distance, wrong class, getting a horse worked out WITHIN a race, etc...all designed and planned to keep bettors guessing. And eventually they look to cash @ big odds.

A lot of fans (and bettors) detest lower claiming ranks--they prefer their horses--and connections-- give 100% every time.

-NCG

All of that happens at Parx, as it does at virtually every track that has claiming races, but if there's anyplace that trainers can survive without betting, it's a track where $10,000 claimers run for $30,000 purses. So for your "bet to survive" theory, you probably couldn't have used a worse example than Parx because there isn't anywhere else that the purses are more inflated above the actual value of the horses.

no breathalyzer
02-18-2016, 09:25 AM

-NCG

Jockey Mychel Sanchez is really good at this

Donttellmeshowme
02-18-2016, 11:49 AM

They coming back the purses are too high for them not to come back.

therussmeister
02-18-2016, 05:43 PM
What is Parx? Is that a food that was offered at NYRA tracks? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, I actually like them closing for 2 months. It helped (by a hair) the horse population at AQU. It's 1 example of solid contraction ( I detest contraction but.....)
It helped laurel significantly.

EMD4ME
02-18-2016, 06:26 PM
It helped laurel significantly.

I'm all for seasonal contraction in SOME areas.

What I am against....is tracks shuddering forever. That is not good for the game.

Milkshaker
02-18-2016, 07:58 PM
What I am against....is tracks shuddering forever.
Gives me the shakes just thinking about it.

ebcorde
02-18-2016, 10:18 PM

-NCG

when I first started I was taught to search for all that. "yeah that race was a workout" , "yeah he ran him on turf because blah blah blah, now he's ready to run" , "yeah he ran him at 1 1/8 for endurance , now he's dropping into a 6.5f race". : "he put a bug boy on him to get better odds"

like being on SCOTUS pretending they know the founding fathers intent on abortion.

dude they cheat their balls off in Pennsylvania if you sense that , bottle it.
anyone here says BS, they've had the FBI there.

turfeyejoe
02-19-2016, 09:55 AM
The thing I notice at Parx that supports the theory about heavy betting by connections is that horses who have been consistently 15-1 or higher and appear in bad form suddenly win at a fraction of their recent odds, i.e. 9-2. You look at the results and ask yourself, why did a horse that looks so bad on paper suddenly get hammered?

Rise Over Run
02-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Still no works being posted for Parx thru today, February 19th. They can't possibly still be planning on re-opening next Saturday, February 27th.

ldiatone
02-19-2016, 04:09 PM
Linda D ‏@PaThoroughbred 2m2 minutes ago
There will be no training at Parx Racing tomorrow, Sat. 2-20, due to continuing work on the racetrack. Over and out.
just viewed this on twitter a short time ago

castaway01
02-19-2016, 04:43 PM
The thing I notice at Parx that supports the theory about heavy betting by connections is that horses who have been consistently 15-1 or higher and appear in bad form suddenly win at a fraction of their recent odds, i.e. 9-2. You look at the results and ask yourself, why did a horse that looks so bad on paper suddenly get hammered?

Right, but that's being done for other, more nefarious reasons, not because the trainer was pulling off some clever shading of form. Most of the "moves" of this type are more like flashing neon signs that the good stuff arrived and it's all in today.

Mandrake
02-21-2016, 07:52 AM
My friend's dad is an owner there. He's hearing whispers that there are talks going on with Stronach to run the racing operation. Stay tuned.

camourous
02-22-2016, 07:57 AM
Parx has finally re-opened for training this morning

Bigadam119
02-22-2016, 01:07 PM
My friend's dad is an owner there. He's hearing whispers that there are talks going on with Stronach to run the racing operation. Stay tuned.

That would be the best possible thing to happen for their racing.

NorCalGreg
02-22-2016, 02:15 PM
when I first started I was taught to search for all that. "yeah that race was a workout" , "yeah he ran him on turf because blah blah blah, now he's ready to run" , "yeah he ran him at 1 1/8 for endurance , now he's dropping into a 6.5f race". : "he put a bug boy on him to get better odds"

like being on SCOTUS pretending they know the founding fathers intent on abortion.

dude they cheat their balls off in Pennsylvania if you sense that , bottle it.
anyone here says BS, they've had the FBI there.

Eb.....you're still thinkng in terms of everything is as it should be...IT'S NOT.

You've somehow completely missed the concept. It's not just a concept, it's a totally different astral plane.

Everything at the claiming level is a game, everyone bets, everyone has a situational angle. The FBI has nothing to do with it---the fact you even bring them up tells me you just don't get it.

Look at Turfeyejoe's comment above---THAT is the kind of "gamesmanship" that is the most maddening---you follow a horse, know what's happening with it--TODAY'S THE DAY--you just know it---you make your bet on the 20-1 ML longshot---and end up winning @ $5.80, instead of the $40.00 payoff you were expecting.
Who bet the hell out of that horse? The only people that knew it was "live" today--the connections.

We've had guys on here that claimed to have been a trainer for many years---and say that's BS--they never ever did anything like that. The only thing they have in common with each other--they're all FORMER trainers. Or were never a trainer to begin with-- they once hot-walked Cannonero, or something.

Here's one tip---look at any track that cards a 7F TURF race, regularly. Think Parx is one of them....now look for a confirmed dirt sprinter, hasn't been doing much lately-- suddenly entered in a 7F turf race. Predictably runs up the track. Next out--back to sprinting on dirt--but at a HIGHER CLASS! If that horse comes back, dropped in class, within 3 weeks or less---he's "live" today, my friend. Classic maneuver.

-NCG

therussmeister
02-22-2016, 04:31 PM
Parx has finally re-opened for training this morning
Apparently they are good to go on Saturday, February 27. They only carded three five furlong races.

onefast99
02-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Apparently they are good to go on Saturday, February 27. They only carded three five furlong races.
Saturday is a go. We worked 2 of ours today both exercise riders said track was a bit deeper than usual one being entered for 3-1-16 the other needs a month of conditioning but got stuck in snowstorm at Pimlico and didn't work for almost 9 days shipped to Parx and no works either. Many are in the same boat should make for some interesting racing.

ldiatone
02-26-2016, 03:28 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/parx-back-track-weekend

Rise Over Run
02-26-2016, 08:40 PM
For what it's worth to those playing this weekend: They were actively scraping the inside ~10' of the track this afternoon while I was there playing the simo. Not sure how much moisture is left in the racing surface, but it will definitely experience freezing conditions tonight.

Who knows what to expect tomorrow.

camourous
02-27-2016, 12:08 AM
They might still not even run, the rail still is not done yet, horse have been training around cones, so unless they get the rail finished and they deem it safe they might be off another week.

onefast99
02-27-2016, 10:53 AM
They might still not even run, the rail still is not done yet, horse have been training around cones, so unless they get the rail finished and they deem it safe they might be off another week.They are running today.

castaway01
02-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd after all this drama and hand-wringing, they ran anyway.

SG4
02-28-2016, 10:26 PM
All that waiting & maintenance etc and in the first race back a horse breaks down, wonder what the various levels of track management were feeling after that. Rest of the card seemed to go OK at least.

Then today pretty much half the fields scratch out of the final 3 races on the card, so not exactly top notch product to welcome fans back to.

duncan04
02-28-2016, 10:46 PM
All that waiting & maintenance etc and in the first race back a horse breaks down, wonder what the various levels of track management were feeling after that. Rest of the card seemed to go OK at least.

Then today pretty much half the fields scratch out of the final 3 races on the card, so not exactly top notch product to welcome fans back to

When has Parx ever been a top notch product?

onefast99
02-29-2016, 09:47 AM

Then today pretty much half the fields scratch out of the final 3 races on the card, so not exactly top notch product to welcome fans back to.
You will see many scratches early on in the meet as some of the horses aren't ready to run. Some didn't work for quite sometime while others who could qualify to run at Aqueduct did. Some ran at Penn also just to stay fit.

SG4
02-29-2016, 04:07 PM
You will see many scratches early on in the meet as some of the horses aren't ready to run. Some didn't work for quite sometime while others who could qualify to run at Aqueduct did. Some ran at Penn also just to stay fit.

Why enter then if you're not ready to run?

PaceAdvantage
02-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Help them fill races. Gets them 1 notch in the "We owe ya" book should something arise in the future.