PDA

View Full Version : San Felipe 2016

kevb
02-16-2016, 08:59 PM
The San Felipe on March 12 looks to be a good one. I think the winner will be a serious Derby contender. I bought a little Candy in Futures Pool 2.

Probables:

Exaggerator
Mor Spirit
Smokey Image
Danzing Candy
Uncle Lino

Track Phantom
02-17-2016, 02:47 AM
I do a Top 10 Derby List (like everyone else) and also a Top 5 Sleeper List (you can get a free copy of each at the website in my signature). I have Danzing Candy #1 right now and Uncle Lino in the top 10 and near the top of the Sleeper List.

I think Danzing Candy can be any kind. Yes, he's gone to the lead in both wins and has to prove he can rate and relax but he acted like one of those runners that had no choice but to go to the lead because he so outclassed his opponents. At this point, I do not believe he needs the lead but I guess we'll see. The dam is a half to $4.5M turf winner, Better Talk Now.

Uncle Lino has looked game and gritty to me. He had bad pace situations in both the allowance where he was 3rd and the Lewis. Thought he showed something by running down I Will Score despite being in the dreaded chase mode. While Mor Spirit was clearly best, he did sit a good trip behind two stretching out for the first time. I think the kind of improvement Uncle Lino will show over the next few months is more than Mor Spirit is capable of (simply because of the way Baffert prepares his debut runners). Uncle Lino's dam is a half to Shackleford.