PDA

View Full Version : Ten Most Wanted: Unretired?

cj
06-23-2004, 12:40 PM
From DRF:

http://www.drf.com/news/article/56680.html

Stem cells?

chickenhead
06-23-2004, 12:55 PM
that confused me too, I'm no doctor, but I thought stem cells were all about fetuses and what not?

BillW
06-23-2004, 01:08 PM
It's about regeneration of tissue that doesn't normally regenerate in nature, but I wasn't aware that there was any practical application in use today (other than growing ear cartilage on the backs of bald mice :) )

Bill

witchdoctor
06-23-2004, 02:06 PM
I looked into this when our mare hurt her suspensory ligament. There are 2 sources for stem cells tht the vets use. One is to use fat cells and the other is to use bone marrow from the breast bone. I am dubious about using fat cells since in humans there is very few stem cells. Bone marrow on the other hand makes a whole lota sense. Unfortunately the only person doing it is in California and he has only done a few horses reportedly with good results. Since it was going to cost about $20000 and I couldn't get the vet to return my calls, I decided to try another approach.

Rick

BillW
06-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by witchdoctor
I looked into this when our mare hurt her suspensory ligament. There are 2 sources for stem cells tht the vets use. One is to use fat cells and the other is to use bone marrow from the breast bone. I am dubious about using fat cells since in humans there is very few stem cells. Bone marrow on the other hand makes a whole lota sense. Unfortunately the only person doing it is in California and he has only done a few horses reportedly with good results. Since it was going to cost about $20000 and I couldn't get the vet to return my calls, I decided to try another approach.

Rick

Rick,

Do you understand this technique to be solid (established?) veternary science, or simply some faux science that an unethical huckster is scamming people with?

Bill

witchdoctor
06-23-2004, 04:48 PM
In human studies, stem cell research looks very promsing. It makes sense for ligament injuries BUT there are only antedotal reports and no controlled trials that I could find. In humans, there are trials comparing placebo to stem cellsongoing to see if we can use stem cells to regrow heart muscle and blood vessels in the leg.

BillW
06-23-2004, 04:52 PM
The science itself is legit, but I'm just not aware of anything being commercialized in this area, even for animals. Research just hasn't advanced that far. I think your choice to avoid was wise.

Bill

JustRalph
06-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by BillW
It's about regeneration of tissue that doesn't normally regenerate in nature, but I wasn't aware that there was any practical application in use today (other than growing ear cartilage on the backs of bald mice :) )Bill

But Bill........it makes a hell of a picture don't it! That mouse can hear a Gnat Hiccup from 5 miles.........!

witchdoctor
06-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I think this is what they are doing with Ten Most Wanted.
http://www.vet-stem.com/Calf%20TB%20Magazine%20June%202004%20Vet-Stem.pdf