PDA

View Full Version : Calculator

Stillriledup
02-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Great gutty win. I wouldn't have wanted a nickel on him after the first 100 yards.

MJC922
02-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Yeah that was no joke, walked out of there as you said, wheeled to the outside, had to be 21 and a piece to brush up on the turn and wrest command then held like a boss. Good job Mr. Miller as usual, showing a positive ROI on Dirt after 970+ races.

Would love to see this horse exit this race in good shape, tries hard every race.

letswastemoney
02-13-2016, 08:30 PM
He is one of only 5 horses to ever finish in front of American Pharoah.

zico20
02-13-2016, 08:40 PM
Very impressive win. But was he getting tired at the end or did the other horse have something extra. It looked like he was going to cruise home at the top of the stretch.

Stillriledup
02-13-2016, 09:00 PM
Very impressive win. But was he getting tired at the end or did the other horse have something extra. It looked like he was going to cruise home at the top of the stretch.

He got a little tired, his middle move was huge, showed a lot of grit. You're right 922, great training job, this horse looked great in the post parade, he was ready to go.

classhandicapper
02-14-2016, 11:31 AM
The race didn't come up that fast, but that was quite an impressive wide move into a fairly hot pace and then a very game finish. If anything, it may have been too tough off such a long layoff. I'm not a huge fan of really tough races for horses coming off that long a layoff. Sometimes it can set a horse back instead of moving him forward, especially if there are any soundness issues.

Robert Fischer
02-14-2016, 01:30 PM
Wasn't obvious to me whether Calculator or Fusaichi Samurai did more running.

I was impressed that Calculator seemed to make up ground during what looked like legit fractions.

Either way, this is a nice horse and it was good to see him run well.

classhandicapper
02-14-2016, 02:12 PM
Wasn't obvious to me whether Calculator or Fusaichi Samurai did more running.

I was impressed that Calculator seemed to make up ground during what looked like legit fractions.

Either way, this is a nice horse and it was good to see him run well.

The second horse ran quite well also and you know that being from the Baffert barn means he's likely to keep getting better.

Stillriledup
02-14-2016, 02:16 PM
The race didn't come up that fast, but that was quite an impressive wide move into a fairly hot pace and then a very game finish. If anything, it may have been too tough off such a long layoff. I'm not a huge fan of really tough races for horses coming off that long a layoff. Sometimes it can set a horse back instead of moving him forward, especially if there are any soundness issues.

I agree, he ran a 'big number' when you factor ground loss, hopefully Pete gives him time off this effort.

tanner12oz
02-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Looked very good

ultracapper
02-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Looked real good indeed. Good turn of foot and plenty of guts off the layoff. FT vs older. Pretty decent field. Looked good.

cj
02-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Didn't get a great speed figure from me, but he should improve. I liked Prospect Park's effort today better even though he didn't win.

ultracapper
02-14-2016, 06:54 PM
Yeah, time wise the final quarter looked soft. I didn't think the numbers would come in all that impressive. For me it was the layoff and coming back against seasoned runners. And, I did think the 3/8 to 1/4 move looked solid.