PDA

View Full Version : Youbet Goes Mobile

JustRalph
06-23-2004, 12:56 AM
This should be interesting for those who live in the larger cities. The wireless access points in large cities will make this work very nice.
From Bill Finley via ESPN.COM

Tuesday, June 22

Wireless wagering ready for debut

By Bill Finley
Special to ESPN.com

Imagine your wife has dragged you to the supermarket just about the time the horse you love in the 4th at Dogpatch Downs is about to go to the post. You can't get to the track. You can't get to an OTB or simulcast facility. And a phone account won't do, not when you need to get the latest odds, handicapping information and, of course, want to watch the race, right there from the produce department. In the very near future, this scenario, a horseplayer's worst nightmare, should no longer be a problem.

Wireless technology is rapidly changing the world as we know it, and horse racing is no exception. When Youbet, the leading on-line wagering company in the country, launches a wireless hand-held device next month, the customer will be able to make a wager from the grocery store, the beach, the airport, the department store or while just walking down the street. He can mow the lawn and bet on the horses, all at the same time. It doesn't get much easier than this.

Similar devices are already available to bettors in Hong Kong and Japan, racing mad countries where total betting handle dwarfs that bet on a normal day at any major track in the country. In Hong Kong, more than 150,000 bettors already own hand-held wagering devices. The U.S. has lagged behind, thanks in part to outmoded totalizator systems. On July 21, the American racing industry will take the first start toward catching up. That's when Youbet Anywhere will become available.

Developed by Digital Orchid, a San Diego-based company which has already developed ground-breaking wireless products for NASCAR, the device will allow the customer to make a wager, while also providing real-time odds and results, full entries provided in a format similar to a normal race program and betting activity log. The cost of a subscription is $19.99 month, which does not include the cost of the device.

The initial product won't be perfect. It won't have video streaming of live races or replays and the customer must sign up with Verizon Wireless to take part. The good news is that the first version of Youbet Anywhere should be obsolete in less than a year.

The next step will be to add video streaming to the equation. Sean Conley, the brand manager for Youbet Anywhere, says it won't be long until the customer can bet on and watch races live from just about anywhere they please.

"It's such a dynamic industry that with these devices I would say (video streaming) will be available in probably three to six months," Conley said. "The industry is just changing so quickly. If you want a conservative estimate, it will be maybe 12 to 18 months."

The next step will be for the cell phone to replace the hand-held device. Conley says that development isn't far away, either. In the near future, an individual's phone can be his personal simulcast and wagering center.

"That's exactly where this is headed," Conley said. "People will be able to go about their daily business and not be locked into going to an OTB or going through a cumbersome phone system to use. Everything is so dynamic, this probably isn't as far away as one might think."

Youbet Anywhere, or any similar devices developed by competing companies, are likely to become the wave of the future when it comes to making a bet. Just as off-track betting turned the live racetrack experience into a needless inconvenience for most, these gizmos might do the same thing to traditional forms or simulcasting and OTBs. Better yet, they might just entice a few more people to get interested in the sport and wagering on it.

"When you look at the application presently, it's definitely marketed to the owners, jockeys, racetrack managers and hardcore fans," Conley said. "Our hope is that we can build on that and also focus toward others and make them understand that pari-mutuel wagering can be a lot better deal and can be more fun than what they might get from Vegas. We also hope to appeal to a younger audience. That's where we see the future of wireless. Horse racing appeals to an older, more mature audience. This should appeal to a younger audience."

Things won't change overnight. But just as it longer makes sense in most instances to drove 50 miles to go to the track, betting at an OTB or even over the phone or on the Internet soon won't be the easiest, cheapest or most convenient way to make a wager. A new era in wagering may be around the corner.

BillW
06-23-2004, 01:06 AM
I don't understand these huge efforts to develop some custom product. AmericaTab has had a web based interface for a year now that simply works with the phone's web browser. It is free as they are not selling any hardware ... it just uses a standard cell phone that has web capability.

Isn't Youbet the firm that has a custom interface for their standard account wagering system also? :confused:

ranchwest
06-23-2004, 07:50 AM
BillW,

Same thoughts here. I have used the AmericaTab web service through my phone. Odds, results, wagers, account balance, etc.

JustRalph
06-23-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by ranchwest
BillW,

Same thoughts here. I have used the AmericaTab web service through my phone. Odds, results, wagers, account balance, etc.

I am an Ameritab user too.........but I think that when this thing gets up to snuff..........the real time Video is what will set it apart

cj
06-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Video for computers is still pretty poor, is it really that close on a cellular phone?

BillW
06-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Video for computers is still pretty poor, is it really that close on a cellular phone?

That's my feeling. Web browsing on a phone is more novelty than practical as it is. I'm not sure video on a home computer would be worth $20.00 (or certainly not much more), but on a handheld device it would be raising novelty to a new level <insert emoticon with horned rim glasses mended with medical tape> :D.

Bill

andicap
06-23-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ranchwest
BillW,

What does it cost?? You can get odds and bet through your cell phone????

ranchwest
06-23-2004, 03:17 PM
It doesn't cost anything. In fact, at this time you only have to log in to wager.

My phone has a web browser and the AmericaTab site is specifically designed to be extremely light on graphics and such, so that the pages load as quickly as the phone allows (not very fast compared to a computer, but it isn't quite like a tooth extraction).

andicap
06-23-2004, 04:16 PM
With the AmericaTab betting you have to have a WAP enabled phone.
I was under the impression the vast majority of cell phones are NOT WAP enabled.
Or -- is ANY web-enabled phone a WAP phone?

BillW
06-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by andicap
What does it cost?? You can get odds and bet through your cell phone????

Yes it is free. It is simply a different website, designed for a smaller display such sas on the cell phones.

Look at http://mobile.brisbet.com

it will work on your home browser, just not designed for full screen display.

Bill

BillW
06-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by andicap
With the AmericaTab betting you have to have a WAP enabled phone.
I was under the impression the vast majority of cell phones are NOT WAP enabled.
Or -- is ANY web-enabled phone a WAP phone?

I would think that any cell phone with a browser would implement WAP. My home browser (Firebird) supports it just fine.

Bill