PDA

View Full Version : Omni/Swinger Bet

Ocala Mike
02-12-2016, 10:55 AM
So I was fooling around on Twin Spires this morning, and I happened to look at the races from UK Kempton. Can someone explain to me what an Omni/Swinger bet is? Thought I knew everything about pari-mutuel betting, but this one's a new one.

cj
02-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Swinger bet is you pick two horses, and they have to finish in the top 3.

Ocala Mike
02-12-2016, 01:34 PM
ty

Magister Ludi
02-12-2016, 02:37 PM
Like the quinella place bet in Hong Kong.

SG4
02-12-2016, 03:47 PM
I thought this was imminently coming to the NYRA wagering menu, maybe I misread something awhile back, anyone know if there's a US track looking to take this on soon? Also, does an omni pay out as a single amount, or does it pay 3 different amounts based on the combo you had?

ebcorde
02-12-2016, 04:20 PM
as a back up bet and for playing a long shot if you really like it. I also like the DBL at Hong Kong. They pay out if you win the first race, and if your horse finishes Place in the 2nd. Found that out by accident, I thought I lost

I'm not good enough play an multi wager straight at Hong Kong.

Hoofless_Wonder
02-12-2016, 05:00 PM
I thought this was imminently coming to the NYRA wagering menu, maybe I misread something awhile back, anyone know if there's a US track looking to take this on soon? Also, does an omni pay out as a single amount, or does it pay 3 different amounts based on the combo you had?

It pays three different amounts. Critics equate this to show betting, where breakage beats you up. I've found at Hong Kong that if you really dislike heavy chalk, there can be overlays to be found. It's also nice to cash when you're key horse fades and gets run down by two other runners, and not just the winner.

Keeneland had this bet for a while. Called it the omni. Was discontinued due to lack of interest, I guess. I also seem to recall NYRA was gonna try it, but I see far more limited use for the player here in the States.

zappedbythevicar
02-12-2016, 06:40 PM

you are correct. I remember this as well and after googling it just now found some mention of it online at the end of 2013

flatstats
02-12-2016, 08:15 PM
The UK Tote Swinger takeout is 30%. This is a huge hurdle to overcome if you want to profit from it.

Couple with that the fact that it is not a popular bet for day to day races (such that the pools are extremely small) and you will see it is an extremely unviable betting proposition.

However, this bet is a goldmine at the big festival meetings purely because amateur money outweighs the pro money.

Cheltenham, Royal Ascot and especially the Grand National could all be profitable for the swinger bet. The reason for this is that the bet is popular with casual punters, who would tend to back horses because of a connection with the name and the pro's just won't touch it.

One strategy with the Grand National is to simple back the first four or so in the betting in swinger bets. It is highly likely that the most fancied runners will be placing. But the casual punters will be backing "Lady Jane", "Marbella Sunset" who would be 200/1 shots to win and unlikely to complete the course. The fav / longshot bias would come into effect here and possibly overcome the 30% skim.