PDA

View Full Version : Common Sense

Fager Fan
02-11-2016, 04:45 PM
This is what using common sense can do:

In response to the growth in food stamp dependence, Maine’s governor, Paul LePage, recently established work requirements on recipients who are without dependents and able-bodied. In Maine, all able-bodied adults without dependents in the food stamp program are now required to take a job, participate in training, or perform community service.

Job openings for lower-skill workers are abundant in Maine, and for those ABAWD recipients who cannot find immediate employment, Maine offers both training and community service slots. But despite vigorous outreach efforts by the government to encourage participation, most childless adult recipients in Maine refused to participate in training or even to perform community service for six hours per week. When ABAWD recipients refused to participate, their food stamp benefits ceased.

In the first three months after Maine’s work policy went into effect, its caseload of able-bodied adults without dependents plummeted by 80 percent, falling from 13,332 recipients in Dec. 2014 to 2,678 in March 2015.

barahona44
02-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Common sense, unfortunenately, isn't very common.One problem is that we have eliminated the 'shame' of receiving benefits, for those who with a little more effort wouldn't need them.What should be a temporary helping hand has turned into a lifestyle .I'm still trying to understand how a man can just leech off a woman who's getting various subsidies; where is the pride?

Hoofless_Wonder
02-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Common sense, unfortunenately, isn't very common.One problem is that we have eliminated the 'shame' of receiving benefits, for those who with a little more effort wouldn't need them.What should be a temporary helping hand has turned into a lifestyle .I'm still trying to understand how a man can just leech off a woman who's getting various subsidies; where is the pride?

No pride for degenerates willing to mooch off their sugar momma. I've seen this quite a bit. So much, in fact, it's my plan B for retirement. :) I just need to take some dance lessons, move to an over 55 community, learn how to lie ("Why yes, dear, I do believe that dress does make you look slimmer...."), and then let nature and demographics run their course....

garyscpa
02-11-2016, 09:47 PM
No pride for degenerates willing to mooch off their sugar momma. I've seen this quite a bit. So much, in fact, it's my plan B for retirement. :) I just need to take some dance lessons, move to an over 55 community, learn how to lie ("Why yes, dear, I do believe that dress does make you look slimmer...."), and then let nature and demographics run their course....

You shameless hussy! :D

Tom
02-11-2016, 10:55 PM
Preparing for space missions, NASA needed a pen that would write upside down in weightlessness. The democratic congress authorized a the spending of $10 million dollars to develop a special pen that would do just that, and it wroker perfectly!

Russia bought a 12 pack of #2 pencils.

mostpost
02-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Preparing for space missions, NASA needed a pen that would write upside down in weightlessness. The democratic congress authorized a the spending of $10 million dollars to develop a special pen that would do just that, and it wroker perfectly!

Russia bought a 12 pack of #2 pencils.
What a charming story! Too bad it's not true. In the early days of both the American and Soviet space programs, both used wooden pencils. However the points kept breaking off-as pencil points do. This created a hazard in the weightless environment. They could get into an astronaut's eye, or his nose. They could damage sensitive electronic equipment. And the wooden pencils represented a fire hazard in the oxygen rich atmosphere of the spaceship.

Paul C. Fisher of the Fisher Pen Company learned of this delemna and using his own money set about to develop such a pen. He succeeded and patented his invention in 1965.

Both NASA and the (now) Russian space programs use Fisher's pen. They pay $2.39 for each pen.

Before Fisher's per was available, NASA did explore other options, in one case paying $129 per pen; but Congress never authorized an expenditure of $10M to develop such a pen.

OntheRail
02-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Nice fishin' Tom you win... you knew that Mostie could not paste from Snoops fast enough to one up you. Your check is in the mail. :lol:

Saratoga_Mike
02-12-2016, 01:20 PM
What a charming story! Too bad it's not true. In the early days of both the American and Soviet space programs, both used wooden pencils. However the points kept breaking off-as pencil points do. This created a hazard in the weightless environment. They could get into an astronaut's eye, or his nose. They could damage sensitive electronic equipment. And the wooden pencils represented a fire hazard in the oxygen rich atmosphere of the spaceship.

Paul C. Fisher of the Fisher Pen Company learned of this delemna and using his own money set about to develop such a pen. He succeeded and patented his invention in 1965.

Both NASA and the (now) Russian space programs use Fisher's pen. They pay $2.39 for each pen.

Before Fisher's per was available, NASA did explore other options, in one case paying $129 per pen; but Congress never authorized an expenditure of $10M to develop such a pen.

So you support or oppose the Maine work-requirement?

Tom
02-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Nice fishin' Tom you win... you knew that Mostie could not paste from Snoops fast enough to one up you. Your check is in the mail. :lol:

Most people fish for suckers in April, when they run.
I can't wait! :lol::lol::lol:

incoming
02-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Most people fish for suckers in April, when they run.
I can't wait! :lol::lol::lol:

You did it one more time....hook, line and sinker!! :lol:

mostpost
02-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Nice try, Tom, Ontherail and incoming. I do not believe for a minute that Tom posted that story just to trick me. It is the very thing he believes with his heart and soul. Come to think of it, it is the very thing you other two believe with your heart and soul also.

So don't think I am sitting here feeling like a fool for being punked. That will never happen.

mostpost
02-12-2016, 04:22 PM
I don't oppose it. I don't support it either. It's just another way of blaming the poor for their poverty.

Saratoga_Mike
02-12-2016, 04:26 PM
I don't oppose it. I don't support it either. It's just another way of blaming the poor for their poverty.

That, I knew you'd say.

You don't oppose? And you don't support it? What are you Obama in the IL State Senate?

Let's assume jobs are available in Maine. Let's assume the poor have access to those jobs. Now, you're in the Maine legislature, would vote yes or no on a work requirement? You may not vote present.

ebcorde
02-12-2016, 04:39 PM
This is what using common sense can do:

In response to the growth in food stamp dependence, Maine’s governor, Paul LePage, recently established work requirements on recipients who are without dependents and able-bodied. In Maine, all able-bodied adults without dependents in the food stamp program are now required to take a job, participate in training, or perform community service.

Job openings for lower-skill workers are abundant in Maine, and for those ABAWD recipients who cannot find immediate employment, Maine offers both training and community service slots. But despite vigorous outreach efforts by the government to encourage participation, most childless adult recipients in Maine refused to participate in training or even to perform community service for six hours per week. When ABAWD recipients refused to participate, their food stamp benefits ceased.

In the first three months after Maine’s work policy went into effect, its caseload of able-bodied adults without dependents plummeted by 80 percent, falling from 13,332 recipients in Dec. 2014 to 2,678 in March 2015.

They don't offer squat in Pa. what about a car, car insurance , car inspection(if they have it), and gas? That's one thing about country living and the job hunt. You see a job but it's 40 miles away.

incoming
02-12-2016, 04:54 PM

The last time the Federal Budget was balanced this type of leadership was the cause. President Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich and John Kasich help push the right
buttons to make it happen.

OntheRail
02-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Nice try, Tom, Ontherail and incoming. I do not believe for a minute that Tom posted that story just to trick me. It is the very thing he believes with his heart and soul. Come to think of it, it is the very thing you other two believe with your heart and soul also.

So don't think I am sitting here feeling like a fool for being punked. That will never happen.
Funny I knew the minute I read it... you'd be along shortly with the Snoops cut and paste. So did Tom the minute he posted it. Your as predictable as a cappy and a chart. You have to be right even when your wrong... it your nature. :lol:

mostpost
02-12-2016, 10:24 PM
Funny I knew the minute I read it... you'd be along shortly with the Snoops cut and paste. So did Tom the minute he posted it. Your as predictable as a cappy and a chart. You have to be right even when your wrong... it your nature. :lol:
But I was right, and you and Tom were wrong. Twice. once because the story Tom posted, and you went along with, never happened. The second time because I did not get my information from Snopes-although it is there also. I got my information from a December 2006 issue of Scientific American.

I was wrong about one thing though. It wasn't pens that NASA paid $129 for when looking for a solution to the problem. It was mechanical pencils.

OntheRail
02-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Wrong you are not once twice but three time... ;)

Thanks For Playing Predictable Posters.... :lol:

mostpost
02-12-2016, 11:18 PM
That, I knew you'd say.

You don't oppose? And you don't support it? What are you Obama in the IL State Senate?

Let's assume jobs are available in Maine. Let's assume the poor have access to those jobs. Now, you're in the Maine legislature, would vote yes or no on a work requirement? You may not vote present.
Why should we assume that? If that were true, no one in Maine would be on food stamps. Actually there are 200,000 people on food stamps in Maine. Less than five percent of the food stamp recipients in man fit into the category we are talking about here.

But, i will answer your question anyway. I would vote no. It's pettiness. It does not add one single job to the available jobs in Maine. And if there are jobs available, that does not mean there are jobs where the people are.

Three counties in Maine are classified by the federal government as Labor Surplus areas. That means that there are many more people actively seeking jobs in the area as there are jobs available.

These same counties have less than 13 people per square mile in them. Not only is it unlikely there would be many jobs in these counties, it is very unlikely there would be any training programs or places to volunteer.

Of course you could make people sweep sidewalks that were already swept and wash windows that were already clean or cut grass that was already mowed. To me that is just pettiness.

Tom
02-12-2016, 11:58 PM
The democratic congress

Bait this good is hard to ignore.
I call it the Claven Lure.

Fager Fan
02-13-2016, 09:35 AM
Why should we assume that? If that were true, no one in Maine would be on food stamps. Actually there are 200,000 people on food stamps in Maine. Less than five percent of the food stamp recipients in man fit into the category we are talking about here.

But, i will answer your question anyway. I would vote no. It's pettiness. It does not add one single job to the available jobs in Maine. And if there are jobs available, that does not mean there are jobs where the people are.

Three counties in Maine are classified by the federal government as Labor Surplus areas. That means that there are many more people actively seeking jobs in the area as there are jobs available.

These same counties have less than 13 people per square mile in them. Not only is it unlikely there would be many jobs in these counties, it is very unlikely there would be any training programs or places to volunteer.

Of course you could make people sweep sidewalks that were already swept and wash windows that were already clean or cut grass that was already mowed. To me that is just pettiness.

This sounds like the argument of someone who is determined to argue a specific side, even if he can think of no good argument for that side. "Pettiness" is really your argument?

I wonder if you'd likewise take the enabling stance in your personal world. If you had a 24yo son living in your house, how long would you keep giving him money if he didn't get a job? And you'd call it "pettiness" to expect him to do work around the house in exchange for your generosity?