PDA

View Full Version : svchost.exe k netsvcs slows laptop

gillenr
02-11-2016, 04:41 PM
toshiba celeron vista.
task mgr shows "svchost.exe k netsvcs" using 100% cpu & 87% ram.
Google wasn't very helpful.

tupper
02-11-2016, 05:07 PM
I found quite a few listings just doing a web search on ""svchost.exe k netsvcs".

Here's one (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/process-svchostexe-k-netsvcs-utilising-majority-of/9e64ba3f-74c2-473f-b511-1d8b13019587).

Hope this helps.

Hoofless_Wonder
02-11-2016, 07:03 PM
toshiba celeron vista.

Huh? Tons of hits out there, indicating most likely a virus or a problem with Windows Updater.

http://www.wintips.org/how-to-fix-svchost-exe-netsvcs-memory-leak-or-high-cpu-usage-problems/#more-20699

MJC922
02-11-2016, 07:12 PM
toshiba celeron vista.

How long ago did this start? If it was just within the past week or so I'd recommend rolling back a week or even a month using 'system restore'.

Tom
02-11-2016, 10:41 PM
I've had this problem with svchost fora long time.
It might be a legit program trying to connect with the internet, but it is a pain in the A.....drive. I see 3,4, 6, 7 versions of it at a time.

I use Task Manager to end the process. I lose sound on my videos once I do that, but t least I get rid of the damn resource hog.

gillenr
02-11-2016, 11:06 PM
I found quite a few listings just doing a web search on ""svchost.exe k netsvcs".

Here's one (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/process-svchostexe-k-netsvcs-utilising-majority-of/9e64ba3f-74c2-473f-b511-1d8b13019587).

Hope this helps.
Yes it does so far. Even tho for w7 not vista, it pointed me to run SFC & so far,so good.
Thanks

gillenr
02-11-2016, 11:08 PM
I've had this problem with svchost fora long time.
It might be a legit program trying to connect with the internet, but it is a pain in the A.....drive. I see 3,4, 6, 7 versions of it at a time.

I use Task Manager to end the process. I lose sound on my videos once I do that, but t least I get rid of the damn resource hog.
run SFC per tup's link.
good luck

Tom
02-13-2016, 12:20 AM
I'll try it this weekend.
I am pretty fed up with this whole internet garbage.....here is what I have tonight......give me a pencil and pad of paper. It is faster than a computer!

MJC922
02-13-2016, 08:42 AM
I'll try it this weekend.
I am pretty fed up with this whole internet garbage.....here is what I have tonight......give me a pencil and pad of paper. It is faster than a computer!

Something may be accessing the drive. It could be the one service at the top of the list Nero Indexing, I'd uninstall that. If you have to burn files try imgburn instead. Also in the task manager click View, Select Columns, add I/O read bytes and I/O write bytes... it should give you a better idea of what might be using the drive.

MJC922
03-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Something may be accessing the drive. It could be the one service at the top of the list Nero Indexing, I'd uninstall that. If you have to burn files try imgburn instead. Also in the task manager click View, Select Columns, add I/O read bytes and I/O write bytes... it should give you a better idea of what might be using the drive.

Just following up with an FYI, imgburn has been very useful free software for me over the years but apparently some of the newer versions are now being flagged by AV software (such as Symantec) as containing potentially unwanted programs. So I guess as far as 'burning' goes it might be best to look at other options. Sorry if I led anyone astray on that one. I don't burn very much to optical media these days anyway and when I do the latest versions of windows have the capability to natively burn (provided your machine has a CD/DVD writer) and even mount ISOs to browse the contents directly. imgburn was very handy if you ever wanted to turn the contents of a folder into an ISO file.

gillenr
04-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Problem came back.
After hit & miss poking around, I did sys. restore & windows update which took almost 6 hours. Restart & aok.Did find this link

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-update/vista-cant-install-updates-hangs-at-preparing-to/76a8a48a-f513-4ecb-a2ba-e8afa43d6fd9?auth=1

which I will try if problem recurs.

mikesal57
04-18-2016, 10:40 AM
toshiba celeron vista.

Sorry to say , that you have the worst CPU & OS ever made...

UPGRADE to 8 or 10...you'll benifit mucho

Mike

mikesal57
04-18-2016, 10:45 AM
HIT Windows Logo and the"R"

type in msconfig

enter

Go to Start Up

Right Click on all lines and DISABLE...only leave your Virus program ENABLED

Good Luck

gillenr
04-18-2016, 09:36 PM
Sorry to say , that you have the worst CPU & OS ever made...

UPGRADE to 8 or 10...you'll benifit mucho

Mike

I looked over my original post, & as I thought, I did not ask for an opinions on my choice of processor, OS, socks or under wear.

Until I noticed the met logo, I was insulted but now I understand your mental limitations.

mikesal57
04-18-2016, 10:14 PM
I looked over my original post, & as I thought, I did not ask for an opinions on my choice of processor, OS, socks or under wear.

Until I noticed the met logo, I was insulted but now I understand your mental limitations.

Not going to answer this one...

just another disgruntled Cubs fan.... :lol:

gillenr
04-18-2016, 10:53 PM
Wrong again -Yankees!