ldiatone
02-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Track listed as SLOW???? :confused:

duncan04
02-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Saw that. Was wondering same thing.

cj
02-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Maybe it is dry, but it is cold enough that they can't water and the track is very tiring.

appistappis
02-08-2016, 08:58 PM
some of the horses i bet there today were also listed as slow.

ldiatone
02-08-2016, 10:04 PM
doesn't some track use "cuppy" and whats the one word they used at BEL and AQU?

cj
02-08-2016, 10:20 PM
doesn't some track use "cuppy" and whats the one word they used at BEL and AQU?

That is a trainer excuse word. It has never been an official track designation.

Sparky13
02-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Yesterday at MVR on the "SLOW" track, times for 6 furlongs ranged in the 1.16 to 1.18 area. Normally in the 1.12 to 1.14 range.

mountainman
02-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Attended races yesterday and did notice moisture in cushion. But while a "good" designation might have made sense, "slow" was probably misapplied to represent surface speed rather than degree of wetness.

Despite extremely slow times, the strip played fairly, and contrary to some occasions when similar times are posted, a few wide closers even hung despite favorable setups.

Still have impression that route splits (and perhaps route finals) are out of whack.

cj
02-09-2016, 10:40 AM
Still have impression that route splits (and perhaps route finals) are out of whack.

They are.

mistergee
02-09-2016, 12:49 PM
That is a trainer excuse word. It has never been an official track designation.every time I heard a trainer say "cuppy" it brought out my violent side!

JohnGalt1
02-09-2016, 08:08 PM
30+ years ago many track conditions were listed as slow and heavy.

Haven't seen those in a while.

Milkshaker
02-09-2016, 09:23 PM
At some tracks, the policy is to ask the chartcaller what he's calling the track and the video feed & tote boards will match what the guy designates.

At other tracks, either the management or the track super establishes the track condition.

I have known some track execs who are averse to any label (slow, heavy) that might be considered a turnoff to bettors.

I even recall one management guy in particular (now deceased) who forbade the track super from using "wet fast" when that term first came into vogue in the 1990s. He always wanted the bettors to think the track was FAST.

mountainman
02-11-2016, 03:28 PM
I had planned to hibernate and work on my novel this winter, but the Mahoning pools are so easy that instead I find myself making the 50 minute trek several times a week. The tote there reflects a poor grasp of mere fundamentals, as either wrong horses go favored, or the right favorites take the wrong amount of play.

Beyond that, hands on wagering has reinvigorated my passion for the game, and reconnecting with old (degenerate) pals feels like a sweet trip back in time.

rrpic6
02-13-2016, 05:42 AM
I had planned to hibernate and work on my novel this winter, but the Mahoning pools are so easy that instead I find myself making the 50 minute trek several times a week. The tote there reflects a poor grasp of mere fundamentals, as either wrong horses go favored, or the right favorites take the wrong amount of play.

Beyond that, hands on wagering has reinvigorated my passion for the game, and reconnecting with old (degenerate) pals feels like a sweet trip back in time.

Case in point: Feb. 10th Race 8. A MSW for 3 year old fillies. #8 Mistevious ships in from Penn National for Nick Caruso. Azael De Leon is the jock. Light should go on in your head immediately. She was 22-1 in only race and was squeezed at the start, yet still beat half the field. John McGary makes her ML 7-2, the 2nd favorite. Brighter lights are on. They stop at Turfway for a few workouts and leave after firing a bullet on Feb. 3rd. A flashlight should be shining in your eyes about now. She does go off as the lukewarm favorite and pays $8.20 to win. My line was 7/5.

She was my top pick of the day. However I don't use the 1st time starter #9 Bragg Time anywhere underneath. I have the 3rd and 4th horses naturally $1.00 exacta is $215. $0.50 Tri is over $1400 and $0.10 super is over $3300. That will bother me for awhile.

My good friend Roger B, who used to work for Mr. Moyers lets me know later on to always throw in jock Hollingsworth. No comment on that.

Glad to see Mountainman is having a good off-season betting. Maybe even more fodder for future novels, ala Jason Beem of South Bound fame. In fact "Gary The Equibase Guy" from South Bound is doing charts now at MVR.

RR

mountainman
02-13-2016, 04:12 PM
Case in point: Feb. 10th Race 8. A MSW for 3 year old fillies. #8 Mistevious ships in from Penn National for Nick Caruso. Azael De Leon is the jock. Light should go on in your head immediately. She was 22-1 in only race and was squeezed at the start, yet still beat half the field. John McGary makes her ML 7-2, the 2nd favorite. Brighter lights are on. They stop at Turfway for a few workouts and leave after firing a bullet on Feb. 3rd. A flashlight should be shining in your eyes about now. She does go off as the lukewarm favorite and pays $8.20 to win. My line was 7/5.

She was my top pick of the day. However I don't use the 1st time starter #9 Bragg Time anywhere underneath. I have the 3rd and 4th horses naturally $1.00 exacta is $215. $0.50 Tri is over $1400 and $0.10 super is over $3300. That will bother me for awhile.

My good friend Roger B, who used to work for Mr. Moyers lets me know later on to always throw in jock Hollingsworth. No comment on that.

Glad to see Mountainman is having a good off-season betting. Maybe even more fodder for future novels, ala Jason Beem of South Bound fame. In fact "Gary The Equibase Guy" from South Bound is doing charts now at MVR.

RR

And how about the Ruberto horse paying virtually 3-1 in that str/alw? Versus that field at MNR we'd be talking 6/5, even with the opposing presence of that hard knocking Sullivan entrant (who clearly ceded the "now" edge to the eventual winner and figured to be compromised by the rail post).

Keep up the good work, Ron. You are steadily making a name for yourself at Mahoning.

rrpic6
02-14-2016, 07:27 AM
And how about the Ruberto horse paying virtually 3-1 in that str/alw? Versus that field at MNR we'd be talking 6/5, even with the opposing presence of that hard knocking Sullivan entrant (who clearly ceded the "now" edge to the eventual winner and figured to be compromised by the rail post).

Keep up the good work, Ron. You are steadily making a name for yourself at Mahoning.

Thanks for the pat on the back Mountainman. Hope you can reschedule with John to assist on one of his Saturday handicapping chats. There are nice crowds despite the early start.

RR

mountainman
02-15-2016, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the pat on the back Mountainman. Hope you can reschedule with John to assist on one of his Saturday handicapping chats. There are nice crowds despite the early start.

RR

Tough day for me at windows. The only positive was getting shut out twice.

arw629
02-15-2016, 09:39 PM
Tough day for me at windows. The only positive was getting shut out twice.

Tomorrow is another day! Who is the winner in the opener?! I can't get a grip on it. I think Ticket for Victory might finally break through but I will admit I'm a sucker for first time geldings. Bold Kid looked interesting as the trainer does well first time for a tag and first at a route ...any input?!?!?

arw629
02-15-2016, 09:41 PM
Expecting a foot of snow but I'm hopeful there will be racing tomorrow!

mountainman
02-15-2016, 10:55 PM
Tomorrow is another day! Who is the winner in the opener?! I can't get a grip on it. I think Ticket for Victory might finally break through but I will admit I'm a sucker for first time geldings. Bold Kid looked interesting as the trainer does well first time for a tag and first at a route ...any input?!?!?

Not ignoring you, sir. Just unsure they will even run.

mistergee
02-16-2016, 10:26 AM
they are not